• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is P.T the Dark Souls of horror?

• Yes

Votes: 213 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,476 84.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 69 3.9%

• Total voters

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I was debating whether to comment here at all or nah, but reading through this thread has me convinced that a large part of era is convinced that P.T is basically directly responsible for all good horror game achievements since then. Lol at the post in this page saying RE7 and Returnal is ripping off of P.T.

P.T, Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring are all incredible games and deserves the love and respect everyone has for them as games but good lord the unnecessary hard-on some people have for them is unreal.
PT is a perfect storm of mystique. It was a neat thing with a lot of hype and intrigue, the promise of a full game, and then the cancellation adding to the fervor, and finally the delisting off the store making it an immortal "precious" download on your PS4.

Also, it was wrapped up in the F Konami zeitgeist after the Kojima thing. The game/demo/teaser itself is really cool and well put together with a lot of neat gimmicks, it's great. But there's A LOT of outside context for PT being so beloved. And I think people are being daft if they're just reducing it to Kojima or Sony banana riding.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
damn... like the littlest investigation is enough to show that the title is not correct at all, i can't recall any names right now but i feel like ever since there's been first person there's been horror first person games about haunted places, especially indie horror games

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
PT is a perfect storm of mystique. It was a neat thing with a lot of hype and intrigue, the promise of a full game, and then the cancellation adding to the fervor, and finally the delisting off the store making it an immortal "precious" download on your PS4.

Also, it was wrapped up in the F Konami zeitgeist after the Kojima thing. The game/demo/teaser itself is really cool and well put together with a lot of neat gimmicks, it's great. But there's A LOT of outside context for PT being so beloved. And I think people are being daft if they're just reducing it to Kojima or Sony banana riding.
Kojima's involvement really does have a lot to do with it though. For instance, look at the initial reveal for The Phantom Pain, before people realized an hour later it was MGS related and then MGSV.

Why else do you have so many people who seem to think Silent Hill has more to do with Kojima than I dunno, Toyama.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Kojima's involvement really does have a lot to do with it though. For instance, look at the initial reveal for The Phantom Pain, before people realized an hour later it was MGS related and then MGSV.

Why else do you have so many people who seem to think Silent Hill has more to do with Kojima than I dunno, Toyama.
Not denying Kojima's hype isn't part of the mystique. More that Kojima is good at creating hype and PT was built to be intriguing and hype. But it got a life of its own when unforeseen consequences happened and it added to its mystique.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Not denying Kojima's hype isn't part of the mystique. More that Kojima is good at creating hype and PT was built to be intriguing and hype. But it got a life of its own when unforeseen consequences happened and it added to its mystique.
Right. I feel it would have been a neat curio if anyone else released it. But Kojima, it's link to Silent Hill, and all of that propped it up to be super popular.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
In all seriousness, are you afraid of losing your mod status or being fined or something if you just admit you were wrong? There's countless examples from Condemned to Amnesia to Outlast which came, at minimum, over a year before PT which were all popular.

lmao why would that be a thing? Do you seriously believe it's such a serious thing to be "wrong" over something like this? go back to my original post. I said that it wasn't the inventor, but we would be kidding ourselves in saying that PT was completely irrelevant, even if the reason is that it was Silent Hills.

Then I made a joke about people who shit on PT and some people, for some weird reason I can't point to anything else but just usual internet hyperbole, felt this was a huge insult to their families.

I honestly admit I'm probably being too snarky, But I feel like the point is pressing you on thinking a bit longer and harder on pondering "are you sure this was as big a deal outside your bubble than you think?" Like... this is hard. We all live in a bubble. I absolutely exist in a bubble on many things. I try to step out of that bubble to assess what the mainstream perspective is on things when needed. But even then, am I really succeeding?

I feel like your response is just to go "no, it was a pretty big deal. I remember." And it's honestly not clear to me how hard you are really trying to step outside of your own shoes to make that assessment. It's entirely possible that I'm being unfair. It's silly for me to try to be the arbitrator of what was and wasn't a big deal in 2014 video game hype. But I really feel like you are not considering the extent to which you may, just may have been influenced by the bubble within which you viewed the reception of gaming news as it impacted more mainstream sources.

Like if you linked a "here's TIME magazine describing PT as the biggest gaming event of the decade" article I might go "holy shit my 38 year old brain is completely failing me. PT WAS a gigantic deal!!!"

Lol ok mate, PT has been irrelevant since day one. You're completely right.

So when referring to it being a bubble thing, I'm talking less about the flash hype of "omfg! It was really Silent Hills! By Kojima! With Del Toro!!" and more the kinda talk that we're actually having as a topic of this thread where the implications of a longer term impact is being discussed.

I already acknowledge that there definitely was a lot of hype and coverage about PT turning out to be Silent Hills. But attributing the fact that many people got excited over what was effectively a teaser for a new entry into what actually is a truly influential classic horror IP isn't the same thing as that interactive teaser itself changing the future landscape of the genre much.

The bubble aspect is where members of a community such as this can often pay little to no attention to subgenres that are plenty healthy and thriving, until something comes along which places it on their radar for a different reason (Sony + Kojima + Del Toro, for example). So now, because this type of game is suddenly on their radar, anything that comes after it is attributed to having been influenced by the first thing they actually paid attention to the existence of, regardless of how many prior notable examples exist. OP already started implying the Resident Evil 7 adopted a first person viewpoint as a result of PT, despite interviews existing that prove this not to be the case at all. Someone who paid attention to the subgenre prior to PT's reveal, and saw titles like Amnesia, Condemned, Outlast, etc all finding success for themselves, would likely be a whole lot less likely to see Resident Evil 7 and attribute it's existence to PT specifically. And you know one of the main types of people that are likely to have actually paid attention to a subgenre and be well aware of prior examples within it? The people that create such games.

The bolded is the entire point of PT being important. It's not just an ERA (or GAF, or Reddit, or whatever) thing to not pay attention to other stuff. It's normal, it happens even in the mainstream. PT was important because it attratacted people from outside the fans of the subgeneres. It's not exclusive to videogames either, it happens with movies and music, that there are "ambassador" artists (or arts) that bring people into subgeneres and opens the gates into more stuff.

Yes, of course, I never cared for the "hallway defenseless horror", or whatever, subgenre. It was PT that made me pay a bit of attention to it. I'm not alone in that. Becoming that game that "bursts the bubble" is the entire point. And that happened all over different communities at the time. I insist, the fact that people mistaken PT for an inventor or the first of its kind is not just "oh it's just that people were on a bubble before", it's the entire point of being an important (almost) game that helped bringing people, people that the other games failed to bring in for whatever reason.

I think that some people just don't realize that being popular among the "kids" is one thing, and being cross-generational is another thing. That was PT at the time. That's why we still talk about what could have been, etc.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I insist, the fact that people mistaken PT for an inventor or the first of its kind is not just "oh it's just that people were on a bubble before"

Considering this is the only time i ever seen someone saying that and its only on this forum, i`d say its pretty strong evidence that its a bubble thing indeed

People here seems to believe CASUALS and NON GAMERS were on par with PT and this prove how big it was. They werent. Casuals never realized it existed or who the fuck kojima is. In fact, i`d wager a good amount of money i can go around asking casuals and non gamers and more people will know more about FNAF, Slender and all the other games people mentioned several times and are still being ignored than PT. Like, easy money

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol ok mate, PT has been irrelevant since day one. You're completely right.

I never said it was irrelevant. I am being a bit incredulous about the intensity of its reach. My memory is very fallible. Maybe my own bubble prevented me from recognizing its massive impact at the time. But some of these takes are just like "no, it transcended normal video game stuff. People I know who barely play games were swept up in P.T. mania!!!" And I just sort of react with that wincing "really?" kneejerk reaction.

I think PT is a very interesting story in the history of gaming. There was a confluence of a lot of things that coalesced to give it cachet within the gaming community. But I'm very skeptical of the claims that this had a special and unique breakout reaction that meaningfully grew interest in the genre relative to stuff that preceded it. My personal observation is that a lot of this is a pedestal effect of a specific community or specific communities that are laser focused on reacting to the hooks of this project. Going back a few posts, this stood out to me:

This happened during E3, and the whole gaming community was talking about it.

I reacted overly snarky, but I just can't help but feel like this highlights the bubble effect. That E3 is the springboard into noting what the "whole gaming community" was talking about just really strikes me as indicative of being in the bubble.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I think that some people just don't realize that being popular among the "kids" is one thing, and being cross-generational is another thing. That was PT at the time. That's why we still talk about what could have been, etc.
The only reason PT still gets brought up is because it was a high profile cancellation of a console exclusive that enthusiasts can't let go. Games like Amnesia straight up shaped the entire Let's Play / streaming industry which is bigger than Silent Hills would ever be.

They're not even remotely on the same level of mainstream influence.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Considering this is the only time i ever seen someone saying that and its only on this forum, i`d say its pretty strong evidence that its a bubble thing indeed

People here seems to believe CASUALS and NON GAMERS were on par with PT and this prove how big it was. They werent. Casuals never realized it existed or who the fuck kojima is. In fact, i`d wager a good amount of money i can go around asking casuals and non gamers and more people will know more about FNAF, Slender and all the other games people mentioned several times and are still being ignored than PT. Like, easy money

I'm sure a lot of them know more about FNAF than Mario, and that doesn't mean that FNAF is more important to gaming as a whole. I know that's a differentt comparison, but the idea is that we can't overvalue neither casuals, or our "bubbles", if we want to talk about how relevant or important a certain something is.

Let's say this, PT was as important to the "bubble" as FNAF or Amnesia is to the "casuals and non gamers".

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA

PT is well known, Kojima not so much but people know what PT is. Mainly because of the buzz and youtube playthroughs. Not going to argue it's as big as something like FNAF but tryna pigeon hold it as a bubble of fanboys is disingenuous. The same youtubers that help make FNAF and slender and amnesia household names also played PT, and anybody with a PS4 could try it for themselves because it was free.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
PT is well known, Kojima not so much but people know what PT is. Mainly because of the buzz and youtube playthroughs. Not going to argue it's as big as something like FNAF but tryna pigeon hold it as a bubble of fanboys is disingenuous. The same youtubers that help make FNAF and slender and amnesia household names also played PT, and anybody with a PS4 could try it for themselves because it was free.

No, no it isn't. P.T. was well know during its zeitgeist and the youtube boom reacting to it, but as mostly everything else, when the fad ends, the memory goes it with and people only care about the next new hot thing. And no, its not disingenuous to bring up popularity and relevance to the larger amount of people when the discussion was about that to begin and if anything, excuse my bluntness, you and the people defending PT are far more guilty of doing so, changing goal posts every time someone point out the flaw in the logic with "well he never said it started only that it was relevant". "The same youtubers played PT", whats that supposed to prove? We weren't the ones saying that youtube wasnt a big part on the actual games that started and popularized the genre, in fact that was part of our argument since the start and the PT defenders were rebutting it. The reach PT had as a limited demo only on the PS4 was also far, far smaller than the reach all these other games had and to see people in this thread saying "playstation has a far wider reach" is honestly mind boggling.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Looking at the poll, isn't the Dark Souls of horror you know... Dark Souls?

It clearly has classic horror monsters, and everything has a feeling of death and decay. And it certainly isn't shy of jump scares when it's in the mood. Sure, it's not full-on horror, but there's definitely some survival-horror as well as horror elements in those games.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The only reason PT still gets brought up is because it was a high profile cancellation of a console exclusive that enthusiasts can't let go. Games like Amnesia straight up shaped the entire Let's Play / streaming industry which is bigger than Silent Hills would ever be.

They're not even remotely on the same level of mainstream influence.

When you search for youtube and sort for view count (sorry for the assholes in the videos, sadly they have the highest view counts)

ocks7TK.png

H85AdWs.png

PT, at least for it's time, was a huge fucking thing in manstream streamers.

Now FNAF in the other hand does put both to shame:

CibXQbn.png

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
No, no it isn't. P.T. was well know during its zeitgeist and the youtube boom reacting to it, but as mostly everything else, when the fad ends, the memory goes it with and people only care about the next new hot thing. And no, its not disingenuous to bring up popularity and relevance to the larger amount of people when the discussion was about that to begin and if anything, excuse my bluntness, you and the people defending PT are far more guilty of doing so, changing goal posts every time someone point out the flaw in the logic with "well he never said it started only that it was relevant". "The same youtubers played PT", whats that supposed to prove? We weren't the ones saying that youtube wasnt a big part on the actual games that started and popularized the genre, in fact that was part of our argument since the start and the PT defenders were rebutting it. The reach PT had as a limited demo only on the PS4 was also far, far smaller than the reach all these other games had and to see people in this thread saying "playstation has a far wider reach" is honestly mind boggling.
PT is well known because when you ask people if you played/watch/know PT they say yes. Which is my anecdotal experience talking to coworkers and extended family members(kids).

Sorry, any nuance is lost in this guerilla war but I've never argued youtube nullifies a game's relevance??? I think the OP has been thoroughly debunked so I'm definitely not arguing PT invented anything. But to act like PT is irrelevant is disingenuous and nonsensical. Also nonsensical to act like there are two separate monolithic groups that represent ALL game fans: zoomer kids who only play FNAF and boomer sony fanboys who never heard of slender and think Kojima invented hallways. Amnesia and Slender both started out on PC, PLENTY of kids don't have PC so they only knew of these games from YT. It was all a mix of people watching games and playing games and devs being influenced and following trends. And PT absolutely influenced games and still does.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
PT is well known because when you ask people if you played/watch/know PT they say yes. Which is my anecdotal experience talking to coworkers and extended family members(kids).

Sorry, any nuance is lost in this guerilla war but I've never argued youtube nullifies a game's relevance??? I think the OP has been thoroughly debunked so I'm definitely not arguing PT invented anything. But to act like PT is irrelevant is disingenuous and nonsensical. Also nonsensical to act like there are two separate monolithic groups that represent ALL game fans: zoomer kids who only play FNAF and boomer sony fanboys who never heard of slender and think Kojima invented hallways. Amnesia and Slender both started out on PC, PLENTY of kids don't have PC so they only knew of these games from YT. It was all a mix of people watching games and playing games and devs being influenced and following trends. And PT absolutely influenced games and still does.

And my anedoctal experience is that the only PT people know is the political party. If we're arguing anedoctes, theres no point in continuing this.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously PT was important to a lot of people and a lot of enthusiast gamers like this forum were really excited by it. Yes FNAF isn't as important for gaming as Mario, we can all agree on that, but it's helluva lot more important than PT was. The console-only mentality of some people on this forum is so evident sometimes, especially when you have a mod trying to die on a hill to defend PT out of spite. Hell I barely gamed on PC in the last decade and I would have the be willfully blind to ignore the impact amnesia and FNAF had on the medium as a whole. No point arguing with someone who just likes to move goalposts and isn't capable of accepting that they are wrong on something

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I know you're trying to be funny but even for a joke you really need to stop and think hard about your life choices when you think people not knowing about P.T. is the bubble
Nothing about life choices, more a statement of how utterly silly it is to pigeon hold people's experiences into rigid canon. If you read my post I haven't been moving any goal posts. I'm simply saying PT was influential. Which is an extremely vanilla statement but you are acting like PT literally never existed.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Obviously PT was important to a lot of people and a lot of enthusiast gamers like this forum were really excited by it. Yes FNAF isn't as important for gaming as Mario, we can all agree on that, but it's helluva lot more important than PT was. The console-only mentality of some people on this forum is so evident sometimes, especially when you have a mod trying to die on a hill to defend PT out of spite. Hell I barely gamed on PC in the last decade and I would have the be willfully blind to ignore the impact amnesia and FNAF had on the medium as a whole. No point arguing with someone who just likes to move goalposts and isn't capable of accepting that they are wrong on something

You know you can directly quote me, right? Come here, my little friend, don't be afraid!

I don't know, I just posted view counts on Youtube, if that's any relevant. Amnesia's most viewed gameplay has half the views of PT. I'm not gonna say that makes one more impactful than other, but it's clear that PT isn't as irrelevant and forgettable as some people in this thread are implying, or that it didn't have any impact. If popularity makes FNAF impactful on the medium, then PT is more impactful than Amesia. But we know that's not how it works, right?

PC is my main platform too. I don't know why all have to come to console wars for some of you.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about life choices, more a statement of how utterly silly it is to pigeon hold people's experiences into rigid canon. If you read my post I haven't been moving any goal posts. I'm simply saying PT was influential. Which is an extremely vanilla statement but you are acting like PT literally never existed.

I mean, you can read all my posts before to see thats not my point, but since the discussion devolved to throwing strawmans around we really should stop.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
started ?? started ! lol no.
unless you are 12 and assume nothing existed before you were born.
It's one of the oldest idea of a game ever, even the atari 2600 had one of those (Haunted House, not fps obviously but still)

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
When you search for youtube and sort for view count (sorry for the assholes in the videos, sadly they have the highest view counts)

ocks7TK.png

H85AdWs.png

PT, at least for it's time, was a huge fucking thing in manstream streamers.

Now FNAF in the other hand does put both to shame:
My point is Amnesia created the audience that was there to watch PT in the first place. PT didn't make first person horror popular, PT exists to begin with because that form of horror was popular.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
lmao why would that be a thing? Do you seriously believe it's such a serious thing to be "wrong" over something like this? go back to my original post. I said that it wasn't the inventor, but we would be kidding ourselves in saying that PT was completely irrelevant, even if the reason is that it was Silent Hills.

Then I made a joke about people who shit on PT and some people, for some weird reason I can't point to anything else but just usual internet hyperbole, felt this was a huge insult to their families.
It's fine to be wrong, I'm wrong all the time. Also no one's saying PT's completely irrelevant, but you're kind of ignoring that PT was masking SH as literally another one of the games in this already growing genre.

Anyway you're being really weird here. Please do better in the future.

Adum

May 30, 2019
I agree that there was a lot of mystique behind it when it first released. It's an amazing teaser for a game. But I still don't get how anyone can play it and seriously consider making a thread asking if P.T alone is responsible for the first person / psychological horror / haunted house genre popularity. It's not. It didn't even popularise it. That's as silly as the people making threads about how every openworld game since 2017 was "inspired" by Breath of the Wild. Or how just a few weeks after Elden Ring released some were already discussing how XXX upcoming game might be inspired by Elden Ring in design or combat. Just plain old banana riding.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it intentionally youtuber/twitch bait to reveal a new Silent Hill game by aping the style of game that was popular amongst them at the time?

Nov 13, 2017
Definitely not.

Also, Dark Souls' combat is Ocarina of Time's combat with a parry and a roll instead of a backflip and sidestep.

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
It's pretty obvious that it helped Capcom try Resident Evil as a proper FPS game. (That and VR.)
it didn't. RE7 was already in development. This is coming from a developer who worked with both teams as those games came out.
I don't think so. It was in development well before P.T. I wasn't part of the core team of P.T. I was there almost every night, but just as support, at the team's discretion. P.T.was Hideo, Guillermo del Toro, and then it was eight guys. Silent Hillswould have been quite different from Resident Evil 7 anyway.
https://web.archive.org/web/2017090...-hideo-kojima-nintendo-japanese-games-w501322

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Resident Evil 7 was the first to come after PT? Then it kinda spiraled from there.

It's like Amnesia, Outlast and Alien Isolation never existed. When RE7 was about to be released, all I could think was how dull it looked as if it was going to be yet another peekaboo game like the aforementioned three. And it was. Sometimes. Some around here put this legendary status on what was essentially a tech demo as if it was the be all, end all of horror games. It wasn't even a full game yet. Just a slice of what might have been.

Last edited: