• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is P.T the Dark Souls of horror?

• Yes

Votes: 213 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,476 84.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 69 3.9%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Their names were still attached on the project since the start. Anyone just hearing about PT would surely hear about them as well. For the buzz about the project that never came to be at the time it had a playable teaser still out, it doesnt matter if they actually did anything, just that they would do something

Kind of. Well, Ito's wasn't. Del Toro leaked that after the game was cancelled, but he was never formally announced as part of the team.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
No, PT wasn't the first.
And Resident Evil 7 isn't the second. And I'm not really sure RE7 was inspired by PT, tbh.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I said Del Toro leaked Ito's involvement. Ito was never announced to be part of the project.

Oh, i read your post in a weird way and looked like you were saying del toro wasnt announced, my bad. Yeah i dont think he got any announcement and its not like theres anything in PT per se that links to him, his weight was more after the cancellation being confirmed

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
As many have said, amnesia really popularized the genre. It's definitely what inspired many other devs to take a stab at first person horror

You are allowed to believe that but whether or not you believe others are shitting on PT the latter part of your post comes off as a bit childish

Of course it's childish. That was the point.

Isn't this an "enthusiast" forum? Isn't it normal for people to talk about stuff other may have missed in the industry? I didn't see people getting angry at the OP in the first page, just correcting the person.

About not leaving a mark... i mean, that's just wrong. No harm in that, but no harm in people bringing other (and bigger) influences up.

I'm not the one saying people should do "their research" over a damn game.

That you think this genre is niche just goes to show that you dont know much about whats actually popular (like most of era)

In the later years of this hobbies, even the more nicher games can get very popular. Look at how big the "historical simulator grand strategy" genre is, and I still bet you it's like, what, 5% of enthusiasts that actually know a lot of that genre?

The point is: people care way too much about this. OP was wrong, but it largely doesn't matter. And the fact that people think that PT was a revolution and invented a genre shows how much PT made its mark into gaming as a whole.

It's not a niche genre at all. Just cause it's not a third person action game, shooter, or racer doesn't make it niche. This ain't the early 2000's. Your post just shows how out of touch you are.

No, it's the kids that are out of touch!

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's childish. That was the point.

I'm not the one saying people should do "their research" over a damn game.

In the later years of this hobbies, even the more nicher games can get very popular. Look at how big the "historical simulator grand strategy" genre is, and I still bet you it's like, what, 5% of enthusiasts that actually know a lot of that genre?

The point is: people care way too much about this. OP was wrong, but it largely doesn't matter. And the fact that people think that PT was a revolution and invented a genre shows how much PT made its mark into gaming as a whole.

No, it's the kids that are out of touch!
This is just dril territory

View: https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

Elgrannacho

Banned
Apr 23, 2022
Argentina
I don't know if I agree 100% (I voted Yes) but there's a point. There was some trend after PT. I think that there wouldn't have been first person RE without PT, for example.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
I don't think PT started the subgenre that existed several years before it was made, one so popular that it made horror let's plays vastly more popular while horror as a genre of gaming was in decline due to lack of mainstream appeal. PT, a game that was.....literally a riff on indie horror games because they wanted to appear like an indie studio making that sort of game, right down to involving a fake studio name before the twist that was, "This is actually a AAA game being made by Kojima." 🤔

No it literally didn't. Like, even if you didn't play it or weren't interested in that sort of game do you know how popular games like Amnesia were? Like genuinely what is this take. Anyone answering yes to the question is "Tell me you're not informed about the subject without me."
I'm not trying to discredit Amnesia, but I think you're overestimating its popularity.The first one sold around 1.4 million copies(by 2012) so it wasn't THAT popular.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Like, it's not their fault that the other games didn't leave as big of a mark as PT did. That on itself says a lot.

I think it's quite debatable actually that something like Amnesia didn't leave as big of a mark. It's clearly well enough known here to handily cause OPs poll to trend against the idea of PT being that start of the subgenre, or even really having popularised it. Also the fact that PT was even intended to "blend in" in the first place implies something before had enough impact for there to even be a generic template for such an experiment to ape.

I'd go further and argue that it's more of a typical bubble view of a forum like this to even have such a question posed, such as the poster that chimed in before to declare how PlayStation is was so much bigger than PC gaming as for why PT would have more of an impact. A console centric forum, that tends to lean towards PlayStation consoles is far more likely to overestimate the influence of a game that originated on console than one that originated on PC.

A lot of PT's notoriety comes from what it was revealed to actually be, rather than the horror experience within the game itself. It's legacy is stronger as a ARG that the community worked to solve, and as an example of a game that was available only for a specific window of time. That doesn't mean it hasn't influenced and inspired other horror games since, but what it represented as a horror game within the genre is not as strong as it's legacy as a cancelled Hideo Kojima take on Silent Hills that the community worked out in real time. Amnesia's influence is primarily on the subgenre itself, and as people has mentioned it trended far and wide across content creators for that purpose.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

What do you not understand that these are not niche games or genres?
These games get up to 250 Million clicks on youtube on a single video.

They are the mainstream.

And "it largely doesn't matter?"

Like no one here wants to sentence OP to the boats because of it.
People are just responding to the very premise of this thread

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I agree 100% (I voted Yes) but there's a point. There was some trend after PT. I think that there wouldn't have been first person RE without PT, for example.
Nah

iQiJfcg.png

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to discredit Amnesia, but I think you're overestimating its popularity.The first one sold around 1.4 million copies(by 2012) so it wasn't THAT popular.
The game reached a much bigger audience because it was the go to horror reaction game. PT did something similar but with less impact.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

RE7 was always going to pivot to First Person, RE7 was well into development when PT was released. The Kitchen demo came mere months after PT lol

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think it's quite debatable actually that something like Amnesia didn't leave as big of a mark. It's clearly well enough known here to handily cause OPs poll to trend against the idea of PT being that start of the subgenre, or even really having popularised it. Also the fact that PT was even intended to "blend in" in the first place implies something before had enough impact for their to even be a generic view for such an experiment to ape.

I'd go further and argue that it's more of a typical bubble view of a forum like this to even have such a question posed, such as the poster that chimed in before to declare how PlayStation is was so much bigger than PC gaming as for why PT would have more of an impact. A console centric forum, that tends to lean towards PlayStation consoles is far more likely to overestimate the influence of a game that originated on console than one that originated on PC.

A lot of PT's notoriety comes from what it was revealed to actually be, rather than the horror experience within the game itself. It's legacy is stronger as a ARG that the community worked to solve, and as an example of a game that was available only for a specific window of time. That doesn't mean it hasn't influenced and inspired other horror games since, but what it represented as a horror game within the genre is not as strong as it's legacy as a cancelled Hideo Kojima take on Silent Hills that the community worked out in real time. Amnesia's influence is primarily on the subgenre itself, and as people has mentioned it trended far and wide across content creators for that purpose.

You know, I'm not entirely sure it's a bubble thing really. PT was really really big because of the intense quick word of mouth it got and then the explosion of actually being a Teaser for Silent Hills. But shit like Lisa and the baby and the weirdness of the game was def something that helped it being a hip thing for the moments it wasn't a teaser. It had that "it" factor that some games have from time to time.

The cancellation of the project only cemented the fact that people that wasn't into these genres could be interested in experiences like these. PT helped the genre a lot to cross from a subgenre and bringing new people. I do agree that the fact that it tried to hide under the box of an already popular genre (ah, get it?) shows that it was a big genre from before. But I think that even being big, it became bigger or more "mainstream" (god I hate that word) with PT and it's cancellation.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
The genre existed before P.T, I watched at that time many youtuber playing these type of games . But sure, P.T. has helped the popularity of the genre a lot. I remember when the demo came out how many people around me were talking about it who are not usually interested in horror games.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

This shows how people don't actually play games if they believe PT was revolutionary or invented a genre lol

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm not entirely sure it's a bubble thing really. PT was really really big because of the intense quick word of mouth it got and then the explosion of actually being a Teaser for Silent Hills.

What are you even defining as being "really really big"? Like... this is the whole debate. You are suggesting that it's not really a bubble by defining it's massive impact on a certain sphere that you haven't defined as not being a bubble. What "quick word of mouth" happened? What "explosion" occurred? If you are referring to Sony/Kojima/Silent Hill fans at places like NeoGAF and subsequently ResetEra then yeah. Absolutely. PT had a massive impact. On gaming as a whole?

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
A demo exclusive to one console didn't popularise anything. P.T.s biggest and frankly, only claims to fame are a combination of slapping Kojimas name on it and being tied to a cancelled game which was removed from the digital stores in the midst of everyone being full #fuckkonami.

Even if you want to argue it spurred on a wave of AAA first person horror titles, when PT was suddenly dropped, things like Alien Isolation had already gone gold, on the back of titles like Amnesia and Penumbra, which were the actual source of any resurgance.
Wrong. P.T. did have a tremendous influence on the horror game genre and that's not to discount any of the games that came before it (Frictional games output, Alien). If you're not paying attention to the indie horror game scene then I can't blame you for this blind spot but stuff like Visage, LoF and the recent Madison are absolutely influenced by PT.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Fatal Frame 2 on the OG Xbox had a first-person mode back in 2004. So no, it definitely wasn't a new concept. And I'm sure there were others before that.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

1,4mil copies in less than 2 years is really good for an indie horror from a studio who mainly did niche physics-puzzle horror games up until that point.

Last we heard, Alien Isolation sold about 2mil copies and that's a very highly rated AAA game.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

The genre isn't niche. It's huge. Just not on forums like this that have a heavy slant towards consoles and specific types of games. Some of the biggest games in the world barely get mentioned on this forum. People had no clue what CrossFire was when the sequel was shown at Microsoft's show even though it used to be one of the biggest online games in the world. Just not on consoles and not in western circles.

How often do people talk about Five Nights at Freddy's? Which coincidentally came out close to PT. Here's Todd McFarlane about it in 2017, 3 years after the first game released: http://monkeysfightingrobots.co/exclusive-nycc-todd-mcfarlane-interview/

So we came out with a brand called Five Nights of Freddy, it's an App game. It is the single largest selling product, bar none, by a lot that I've done in 20-plus years. And again, remember I've had the NFL. I've had Major League Baseball, Matrix, the Predator and Aliens, Shrek. You know, big TV and movie stuff that we've done. Walking Dead and Beatles, Elvis Presley. This app game is blowing them all out of the water.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Are people forgetting that this was a demo whereas Amnesia was a real game that sold over a million copies and was ported to every platform in existence?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
What are you even defining as being "really really big"? Like... this is the whole debate. You are suggesting that it's not really a bubble by defining it's massive impact on a certain sphere that you haven't defined as not being a bubble. What "quick word of mouth" happened? What "explosion" occurred? If you are referring to Sony/Kojima/Silent Hill fans at places like NeoGAF and subsequently ResetEra then yeah. Absolutely. PT had a massive impact. On gaming as a whole?

You don't remember how many people were streaming the game on Twitch and other platforms trying to figure out how to progress in the game? It wasn't just a GAF thing. This happened during E3, and the whole gaming community was talking about it. And yes, it did explode into the mainstream once it became clear that it was Silent Hills with freaking Norman Reedus as the protagonist and Guillermo del Toro as co-creator. It totally had an impact on gaming as a whole.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't remember how many people were streaming the game on Twitch and other platforms trying to figure out how to progress in the game? It wasn't just a GAF thing. This happened during E3, and the whole gaming community was talking about it. And yes, it did explode into the mainstream once it became clear that it was Silent Hills with freaking Norman Reedus as the protagonist and Guillermo del Toro as co-creator. It totally had an impact on gaming as a whole.
E3 hype!?!? The WHOLE gaming community!?!? Well, I'm convinced.

Aug 23, 2020
Hard to compare for such a short experience, but the question I want to know is: Has it ever been beat? I've yet to play a horror game in that style that topped the experience of P.T.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
It spawned a tonne of clones and was one of the most influential games of the 2010s, but despite the major impact, it's not solely responsible. Resident Evil 7, for example, came out in 2017 and (contrary to popular misconception) it wasn't inspired by P.T. at all.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm glad I convinced you. Now I can sleep happy knowing that a random person on the internet thinks what I think they should think. The whole reason of my existence is now complete.

Farewell, Youngblood.
In all seriousness, are you afraid of losing your mod status or being fined or something if you just admit you were wrong? There's countless examples from Condemned to Amnesia to Outlast which came, at minimum, over a year before PT which were all popular.

Or you have Five Nights at Freddy's which was a week before PT and continues to be one of the biggest gaming properties.

If anything PT felt like it was trying to disguise itself as something like Amnesia to trojanhorse in that it was a new Silent Hill. It just seems really strange you can't just admit you were mistaken. I'm wrong all the time and admit it plenty.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
E3 hype!?!? The WHOLE gaming community!?!? Well, I'm convinced.
Not sure why so glib. It was zeitgeist it was intriguing and hype.

I kinda feel like this whole convo needed a slight amount of nuance and detail but people are being very binary about it. Like it was either the invention of bread or a fraudulent piece of trash. PT was a fun surprise with a big communal aspect. Every "normie" or "casual" gamer I've spoken to at work or out and about knows about it. It definitely was a moment and it definitely inspired some devs.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm glad I convinced you. Now I can sleep happy knowing that a random person on the internet thinks what I think they should think. The whole reason of my existence is now complete.

Farewell, Youngblood.
I honestly admit I'm probably being too snarky, But I feel like the point is pressing you on thinking a bit longer and harder on pondering "are you sure this was as big a deal outside your bubble than you think?" Like... this is hard. We all live in a bubble. I absolutely exist in a bubble on many things. I try to step out of that bubble to assess what the mainstream perspective is on things when needed. But even then, am I really succeeding?

I feel like your response is just to go "no, it was a pretty big deal. I remember." And it's honestly not clear to me how hard you are really trying to step outside of your own shoes to make that assessment. It's entirely possible that I'm being unfair. It's silly for me to try to be the arbitrator of what was and wasn't a big deal in 2014 video game hype. But I really feel like you are not considering the extent to which you may, just may have been influenced by the bubble within which you viewed the reception of gaming news as it impacted more mainstream sources.

Like if you linked a "here's TIME magazine describing PT as the biggest gaming event of the decade" article I might go "holy shit my 38 year old brain is completely failing me. PT WAS a gigantic deal!!!"

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
You know, I'm not entirely sure it's a bubble thing really. PT was really really big because of the intense quick word of mouth it got and then the explosion of actually being a Teaser for Silent Hills. But shit like Lisa and the baby and the weirdness of the game was def something that helped it being a hip thing for the moments it wasn't a teaser. It had that "it" factor that some games have from time to time.

The cancellation of the project only cemented the fact that people that wasn't into these genres could be interested in experiences like these. PT helped the genre a lot to cross from a subgenre and bringing new people. I do agree that the fact that it tried to hide under the box of an already popular genre (ah, get it?) shows that it was a big genre from before. But I think that even being big, it became bigger or more "mainstream" (god I hate that word) with PT and it's cancellation.

So when referring to it being a bubble thing, I'm talking less about the flash hype of "omfg! It was really Silent Hills! By Kojima! With Del Toro!!" and more the kinda talk that we're actually having as a topic of this thread where the implications of a longer term impact is being discussed.

I already acknowledge that there definitely was a lot of hype and coverage about PT turning out to be Silent Hills. But attributing the fact that many people got excited over what was effectively a teaser for a new entry into what actually is a truly influential classic horror IP isn't the same thing as that interactive teaser itself changing the future landscape of the genre much.

The bubble aspect is where members of a community such as this can often pay little to no attention to subgenres that are plenty healthy and thriving, until something comes along which places it on their radar for a different reason (Sony + Kojima + Del Toro, for example). So now, because this type of game is suddenly on their radar, anything that comes after it is attributed to having been influenced by the first thing they actually paid attention to the existence of, regardless of how many prior notable examples exist. OP already started implying the Resident Evil 7 adopted a first person viewpoint as a result of PT, despite interviews existing that prove this not to be the case at all. Someone who paid attention to the subgenre prior to PT's reveal, and saw titles like Amnesia, Condemned, Outlast, etc all finding success for themselves, would likely be a whole lot less likely to see Resident Evil 7 and attribute it's existence to PT specifically. And you know one of the main types of people that are likely to have actually paid attention to a subgenre and be well aware of prior examples within it? The people that create such games.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The game reached a much bigger audience because it was the go to horror reaction game. PT did something similar but with less impact.

PT did it for the audience that visits here. Gaming enthusiasts that care about only AAA gaming. Kojima, Sony, and Del Toro. It ain't the driving force in the genre when the real trendsetters was Amnesia, followed by FNAF. We're the old men now and some of us haven't realized it yet.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Like, it's not their fault that the other games didn't leave as big of a mark as PT did. That on itself says a lot.
You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Amnesia, one of the first big games to catch popularity as "YouTuber games", which basically raised and informed a generation of people that consume video game content, didn't "leave a big of a mark" compared to P.T.

This isn't even getting to the absolute phenomenon that was Slender. Ask someone who was a child or a teen ~8-10 years ago what P.T. is, they might know what you're talking about. Ask them what Slender is and they almost assuredly will know.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If you only play games which are shown at E3 press conferences then yeah, maybe.