• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is P.T the Dark Souls of horror?

• Yes

Votes: 213 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,476 84.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 69 3.9%

• Total voters

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree, but we aren't just talking about how P.T. *controlled*.

That's fair. I kinda parsed your comment out separately from the overall topic, and focused on how GoldenEye and Halo aren't very similar in that regards.

Though I do disagree to an extent regarding PT (as argued above) because we had games such as Anmesia, Condemned, Outlast, ZombiU, Alien Isolation without the direct influence of PT, and I don't feel the genre has been largely affected since. To an extent I feel the same way about Goldeneye being sandwiched in between games such as Unreal and Half-Life on the PC side, whilst the console element (how it controls) didn't change much.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think PT started the subgenre that existed several years before it was made, one so popular that it made horror let's plays vastly more popular while horror as a genre of gaming was in decline due to lack of mainstream appeal. PT, a game that was.....literally a riff on indie horror games because they wanted to appear like an indie studio making that sort of game, right down to involving a fake studio name before the twist that was, "This is actually a AAA game being made by Kojima." 🤔

It didn't start it, but it definitely popularized it.
No it literally didn't. Like, even if you didn't play it or weren't interested in that sort of game do you know how popular games like Amnesia were? Like genuinely what is this take. Anyone answering yes to the question is "Tell me you're not informed about the subject without me."

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It definitely went on to become a major influence after its release, but part of the whole ruse of PT was you were supposed to take it as "another one of those except backed by Konami" which doesnt really work if it was a singular flashpoint like people are arguing when they dismiss earlier titles

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Probably helped that Hideo Kojima was the one behind it, and also probably helped by the fact that it was on Playstation, which has a far wider reach than PC.
WTF are the takes ITT???!! Like I know it's one of those threads based on an incredibly misinformed premise and thus inspires similarly misinformed takes about the topic that expose one's lack of exposure or knowledge but jesus christ.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You should play it, because even after a bunch of games attempted to replicate the experience, PT is still genuinely the best in my opinion, even if it's just a short demo.

Like, Amnesia definitely got the ball rolling, but stuff like Visage is very clearly inspired more by PT than anything.
I'm not saying the game itself isn't special because it absolutely is. It's the only reason why I keep my PS4 around.

The point of PT was to blend into the sea of similar looking games to hide that it was Silent Hills. I think a lot of people forget that because it was discovered so quickly. Kojima has said he wasn't expecting it to be discovered for at least a week.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
PT does something totally different than Outlast or Amnesia. I don't even know how to describe it. Hallway Horror?

Like I'm playing Madison right now and this game just oozes PT inspiration.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I don't think PT started the subgenre that existed several years before it was made, one so popular that it made horror let's plays vastly more popular while horror as a genre of gaming was in decline due to lack of mainstream appeal. PT, a game that it was.....literally a riff on because they wanted to appear like an indie studio making that sort of game, right down to involving a fake studio name. 🤔
Yeah, well... they kinda failed at that, it stood out as something special even before people beat it and discovered that it was a teaser for Silent Hills.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Is it also safe to say that God of War (2018) started the whole third person action RPG thing?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Point and Clicks already do forests like that where you had to find the right path or press the right thing to progress?

Which in turn were a graphical implementation of the text adventure form of maze, where simple mapping wasn't necessarily the solution because the actual exit mapping between the locations is non-euclidean or even more dependent on solving a puzzle.

(To get *ultra* pedantic - and not *all* that serious, but still - technically most text adventures are written from a first person perspective, and some of those are horror...)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, well... they kinda failed at that
They only failed at appearing like an indie studio because the game, very suspiciously uh...had a studio no one had heard of before, and also, some of the best realtime visuals ever seen in a game at the time. And was confusingly free. Writing was on the wall that something was up, and the internet "Pause, let's figure this shit out."

I don't think Amnesia started it, but oh boy did it popularize it.
There was a time where streamer youtube was absolutely dominated by Amnesia.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It didn't invented, but it clearly popularized it a lot more. To the point there's a lot of people that actually believe it invented it.

So I'm voting yes. Out of spite to those that shit on it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It didn't invented, but it clearly popularized it a lot more. To the point there's a lot of people that actually believe it invented it.

No one's shitting on PT people are shitting on the notion that it invented the genre it literally was inspired by. Like you don't create a parody/tribute of a genre that isn't already instantly recognizable. Kojima would probably be confused as hell by the premise of this thread because he's literally on record talking about the games that inspired PT and the genre itself.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
They only failed at appearing like an indie studio because the game, very suspiciously uh...had a studio no one had heard of before, and also, some of the best realtime visuals ever seen in a game at the time. And was confusingly free. Writing was on the wall that something was up, and the internet "Pause, let's figure this shit out."
Well that, and the fact that the gameplay was more Gone Home than Amnesia yet still managed to be one of the scariest damn games ever... the production values may have helped with that, but only to a degree.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well that, and the fact that the gameplay was more Gone Home than Amnesia yet still managed to be one of the scariest damn games ever... the production values may have helped with that, but only to a degree.
It still was a horror game that has instafail fail states and a focus on you not being able to defend yourself against the thing jump scaring you. That was definitely the focus overall and probably the vast majority of time researching was spent on games like that in order to replicate and make a general riff on it.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico

It's not shitting on P.T. to acknowledge that it didn't "start" the "first person psycho horror, walking around a haunted house genre", what is this take?

P.T. certainly influenced a series of copycat games, but like, it didn't invent anything like that.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Nah. It was a fairly popular thing.

Gaming youtube was full of thumbnails of a bunch of screaming faced white boys at this point already and lots of indie games were aiming to hit that demographic.

PT itself had plenty of obnoxious jump scares. Some good ones and a good sense of dread, but stuff like the camera spin nuzzling in your face for ten seconds one feel like pure bait

Didn't the PT trailer have a segment that was just people screaming to the camera or in the dark like those paranormal activity trailers?

McPedie

Jun 9, 2022
I think its created a mix of two things

1. Devs that understand what made P.T good and used those aspects to make a unique psychological game

2. Devs that think "Oh if we put our game in a endless hallway and do spooky things it will be good!"

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
No one's shitting on PT people are shitting on the notion that it invented the genre it literally was inspired by. Like you don't create a parody/tribute of a genre that isn't already instantly recognizable. Kojima would probably be confused as hell by the premise of this thread because he's literally on record talking about the games that inspired PT and the genre itself.

It's not shitting on P.T. to acknowledge that it didn't "start" the "first person psycho horror, walking around a haunted house genre", what is this take?

P.T. certainly influenced a series of copycat games, but like, it didn't invent anything like that.

Oh there's people out there that do it. And then there's people that reacts like they were insulted because someone thought there weren't games like these before.

I like a little spite voting after lunch.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. P.T is fantastic, but yeah, it didn't start anything, really, even though it was quite big.

Oh there's people out there that do it. And then there's people that reacts like they were insulted because someone thought there weren't games like these before.

lol i mean, if people are so angry at being corrected maybe don't make statements like these without a little research first?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

I'm seeing more of people being willfully obtuse even after being presented with the correct answer and still maintaining that "no, it was definitely P.T. and everyone else is wrong" but you do you

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017

Not to tell you how to live your life, but that's... kinda a bit weird lol

Generally getting a good "maybe get out a bit more" vibe in this thread. Just all around.

PT was a neat little thing. Got to play it once, and it was okay. Definitely a game where the context is a lot more interesting than the text, but y'know, that's alright. Pity it isn't accessible anymore. That's just a shitty thing that should not happen with art.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
It stood out because it was announced by fucking sony lol

A Sony exclusive done by Hideo Kojima, Junji Ito and Guillermo del Toro and later revealed as part of the Silent Hill series

it would be weird if it didnt generate buzz when they threw so much weight behind it from the start

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Nope. P.T is fantastic, but yeah, it didn't start anything, really, even though it was quite big.

lol i mean, if people are so angry at being corrected maybe don't make statements like these without a little research first?

Sure, but why getting worked over someone who just didn't care about "doing research" over something as irrelevant as this?

Like, it's not their fault that the other games didn't leave as big of a mark as PT did. That on itself says a lot.

I'm seeing more of people being willfully obtuse even after being presented with the correct answer and still maintaining that "no, it was definitely P.T. and everyone else is wrong" but you do you

I don't see that.

Not to tell you how to live your life, but that's... kinda a bit weird lol

Generally getting a good "maybe get out a bit more" vibe in this thread. Just all around.

PT was a neat little thing. Got to play it once, and it was okay. Definitely a game where the context is a lot more interesting than the text, but y'know, that's alright. Pity it isn't accessible anymore. That's just a shitty thing that should not happen with art.

I'm a mod in this forum, of course I'm weird.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, people. How are there nearly twenty percent of you who didn't vote no? The first-person horror genre was thriving before PT. Don't get me wrong, I think PT was a pretty interesting little experience, but it didn't start anything. Jeez...

Oct 27, 2017
Not remotely, no. The genre was common in wide varying qualities and production values on PC for many years before PT. And the "genre" such as it is exploded afterwards, but again, with wildly varying quality.

I think the quality and surprise of PT renewed interest in that style of horror game but in a "brought more eyes" to it way rather than a "created it as we know it" way.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As many have said, amnesia really popularized the genre. It's definitely what inspired many other devs to take a stab at first person horror

You are allowed to believe that but whether or not you believe others are shitting on PT the latter part of your post comes off as a bit childish

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't consider youtube gaming section as mainstream back when these playthroughs were happening, what must have been around when... 2010-2013 period? PT had people that didn't even play games talking about it. (atleast from my experience).

Now like I said, I don't think PT was the first big game of it's type, but I think PT had a wider reach and got more eyes on the genre overall.
I would. I remember when people like Markiplier and PewDiePie first blew up reacting to Amnesia and similar games.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but why getting worked over someone who just didn't care about "doing research" over something as irrelevant as this?

Isn't this an "enthusiast" forum? Isn't it normal for people to talk about stuff other may have missed in the industry? I didn't see people getting angry at the OP in the first page, just correcting the person.

About not leaving a mark... i mean, that's just wrong. No harm in that, but no harm in people bringing other (and bigger) influences up.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
A Sony exclusive done by Hideo Kojima, Junji Ito and Guillermo del Toro and later revealed as part of the Silent Hill series

it would be weird if it didnt generate buzz when they threw so much weight behind it from the start
It would have been weird for sure but the whole obtuse puzzle thing was a huge part of the appeal. If they would have just announced with a trailer it would have been hype but I have a very specific memory of opening up the old place and seeing the thread title that was something like "PT announced at gamescon was a stealth demo for next Silent Hill game made by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro" and my blood froze stiff, my vision got blurry, my head literally exploded.

I got to try for myself to get the ending, I got to watch streams of people who claimed they knew how to do it consistently. It was a special and fun time and it lasted weeks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, PT had no input from Del Toro or Junji Ito and none of them actually worked on Silent Hills at all before the project died. It was more like three guys made a pact to work together and then never actually did.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, PT had no input from Del Toro or Junji Ito and none of them actually worked on Silent Hills at all before the project died. It was more like three guys made a pact to work together and then never actually did.

Their names were still attached on the project since the start. Anyone just hearing about PT would surely hear about them as well. For the buzz about the project that never came to be at the time it had a playable teaser still out, it doesnt matter if they actually did anything, just that they would do something

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Plus it's not like first person horror was some unknown quantity. The Shocks had perfected it over a decade before. The Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3 was 2004.

Both Shock and Shalebridge are essentially doing the haunted house thing decades before.