• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are neutral/positive-only “echo chambers” okay, or should a game be open to criticism anywhere?

• Yes

Votes: 154 19.5%
  • No

Votes: 149 18.8%
  • The poll makes no sense cause OP fucked up and made it two questions.

Votes: 488 61.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Echo chambers are ok as long as you know you're in one and occasionally go out there to hear everybody out.

As for echo chambers about video games? Yeah those don't matter, really.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I see nothing wrong in making your own echo chamber as long as you don't turn delusional. You know, like a private Discord or something. Not in a videogame FORUM, though.

Tired of the same old "so much negativity" posts. Grow up, they are rarely justified even in places as negative/critical as ERA.

EDIT: We are all posting in one already.

Last edited:

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it sometimes when trying to enjoy some entertainment media. I gave up participating in TV show threads on Era because there are just too many people that watch shows so they can bitch about the most mundane shit that it just becomes tiresome.

Jun 26, 2018
I don't care for an echo chambers personally, but if I had a chance to be free from the never ending streams of vitriol and bad takes... sure, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Echo chambers aren't healthy when attempting to be open minded about, well, anything.
yes but is constant negativity healthy?

people seem to have this idea that constantly "criticizing" something is not the same shit as constantly overhyping something. OP even says he realizes that Destiny has some big ass flaws but it just drains that every time, they go in a Destiny thread those flaws are the main focus at all times. So while an Echo Chamber of "Destiny is great; fuck yall haters" is not the answer, its preferred because the discord of negativity is a lot worse.

To use an example I care about. FFXV was probably my GOTY the year it came out. Shit is flawed as fuck. Some really big missed opportunities. I know that. I hope most fans of the game know that. However, I still had a ball and loved my time w/ the game. BUT I would avoid all threads about the game because the same 3-5 posters who acted like the game killed their dogs would often dominate every thread about it evangelizing about how shit the game was, and the same 4-5 posters who though the game was the second coming would be in there defending it to the death..and the topic no matter what it was initially about would now be their battleground. No one has the time to wade through that shit every single time...so I started to avoid threads. Pokemon threads are closing in on that with mach speed too. GameFreak makes baffling decisions for sure but holy shit do we really have to rehash the same back and forth everytime? Eventually I just wonder wouldn't it be wiser to spend more time w/ things you do like than being mad at things you don't? At the end of the day...its just videogames. Yeah it sucks when something you liked changes in a way that you don't agree with but that doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way (this goes both ways of course)...sometimes its cool to just move on, yknow?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have anything wrong necessarily with a group of like minded people just wanting to gush about something they like but unfortunately things tend to not be so easily contained in such spaces and it also can be difficult to know when you aren't welcome if you're critical of such a thing because people tend to not like to openly declare that they are shutting out all criticisms due to the negative connotations that has.

Also yes that poll is bad.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

It obviously isnt but there is never, NEVER constant negativity every time people say there is. Not in Destiny threads, not in pokemon threads, not anywhere in here. Hell not even the Fallout 76 threads during the peak fiasco were just negativity, plenty of people dropped by to say "uh well im still enjoying it lmao".

Unless you're going out of your way to paint every post that isnt gushing in praise as a negative in which case... the problem is you friend, not the others.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Echo chambers are fine if you still engage with people outside of them on the same topics. Too much time in an echo chamber will limit the way you think, and too much time talking contentiously is just exhausting and not enjoyable.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Echo chambers are boring.

I like to hear what people have to say, which is why I find putting people on "ignore", when it comes to videogames dumb. I'm not going to silence someone because their opinion about a videogame is different then mine.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK

people seem to have this idea that constantly "criticizing" something is not the same shit as constantly overhyping something. OP even says he realizes that Destiny has some big ass flaws but it just drains that every time, they go in a Destiny thread those flaws are the main focus at all times. So while an Echo Chamber of "Destiny is great; fuck yall haters" is not the answer, its preferred because the discord of negativity is a lot worse.

To use an example I care about. FFXV was probably my GOTY the year it came out. Shit is flawed as fuck. Some really big missed opportunities. I know that. I hope most fans of the game know that. However, I still had a ball and loved my time w/ the game. BUT I would avoid all threads about the game because the same 3-5 posters who acted like the game killed their dogs would often dominate every thread about it evangelizing about how shit the game was, and the same 4-5 posters who though the game was the second coming would be in there defending it to the death..and the topic no matter what it was initially about would now be their battleground. No one has the time to wade through that shit every single time...so I started to avoid threads. Pokemon threads are closing in on that with mach speed too. GameFreak makes baffling decisions for sure but holy shit do we really have to rehash the same back and forth everytime? Eventually I just wonder wouldn't it be wiser to spend more time w/ things you do like than being mad at things you don't? At the end of the day...its just videogames. Yeah it sucks when something you liked changes in a way that you don't agree with but that doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way (this goes both ways of course)...sometimes its cool to just move on, yknow?
I hear you, but what you're searching for isn't an echo chamber in this case, it's a community of people that aren't arseholes. A place where you can critique and have your own opinions critiqued, without it escalating into insults and who can shout the loudest.

Unfortunately on popular sites like this, or other social media, it's difficult to avoid, whether it's games, politics or whatever. "You have a different opinion to me! You must be burned at the stake!!!"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One day you people are gonna have to explain to me why the fuck do you write different question on the poll than the on in the thread title.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Wanting to discuss Destiny without constantly bringing up its faults isn't seeking out an "echo chamber", so long as you're aware of them.

A constant bombardment of criticism is exhausting; sometimes things exist as they are and there comes a time to either move on past it or just play what's for sale.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
So at a tool concert the singer started chanting something over and over and the crowd slowly started chanting it as well. This went on for about 4 minutes till the guy basic called every stupid for following him just because.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If we're limiting this solely to opinions on gaming, then it's completely immature to get upset at someone having a different opinion about a goddamn video game or console.

It's just ridiculous how it works differently depending on the popularity of the game though. Like, I could take a what you'd call average game, let's use Daemon X Machina, and go "it's trash lol" and people wouldn't bat an eyelid outside of the people who are super in to it, but I could write an essay of constructive criticism on say Breath of the Wild, and I'm trolling, arguing in bad faith, and none of my opinions are valid.

I just don't see the point of effectively sitting in a room together and clapping at your favourite game.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Echo chamber is a fun phrase born the last few years. You would think with the rise of the internet and thus communication, Echo chambers would be eliminated but instead the clashing of ideals usually ends up with both sides going further in the direction they were already in.

I've noticed both progressive and conservative people in my own circle act VERY differently about their "side" on the internet vs. IRL. Same goes with video game opinions. On the internet, Its much more dramatic and outspoken. IRL, Its much more rational, level headed, and tolerant of opposing viewpoints.

Everything has both good and bad attached. Ignoring one side or the other leads to some type of negative consequence.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't think echo chambers are "bad" in any strict sense, I just think they are boring and I personally prefer to avoid them.

When a group of people all agree on something they like it doesn't take long before you're just going through the motions, taking turns talking about how much you like things, which then you pretty much know the other person also likes because you already concede that you love the game.

I don't seek negative discussion but I prefer nuanced discussion about things where there's room for all forms of opinions.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As long as you're aware that you are in an echo chamber, it's fine. The problem comes when people think everyone has the same opinions outside of that chamber.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of discussion, if only positive opinions are allowed? It's just everyone circle jerking about the same stuff. Constructive criticism is not a bad thing.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
only recently we had a poll where it was something along the lines of "should opinion threads even be allowed" or something
i am really not sure why people are so eager to suppress differing opinions, defeats the purpose of an open forum

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Echo chambers are not representative of reality and I'd like to know and experience the world they way it really is.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
only recently we had a poll where it was something along the lines of "should opinion threads even be allowed" or something
i am really not sure why people are so eager to suppress differing opinions, defeats the purpose of an open forum

The fact that someone had to put a 'this is my opinion' disclaimer to the thread about not liking the new God of War was crazy, and even then they got absolutely slated for it.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
As long as the echo chamber only echoes truth I guess. The problem is when it becomes a reinforcement of lies and alt-facts.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Echo chambers are usually bad. You should always try to validate your opinion on facts, not echoes.
Having a discussion is useless if its "demanded" that everyone shares the same view before the talks even begin.

The only thing that a echo chamber will do for you is warp your perspective to something that is far from beeing objective.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
basically it is definitely ok to prioritize self-care, but self-care means not just surrounding yourself with like-minded ppl as an escape from a toxic environment, but ppl that can also healthily help u grow

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
The idea that negative opinions can't be their own form of echo-chamber that's just as bad in term of being small minded and fostering poor critical-thinking skills is.... telling.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Considering this is strictly about games (I assume), I don't see it as a bad thing. Of course different opinions should be tolerated, but I definitely understand how extreme negativity can be off-putting. It easily turns into toxicity in internet discussion. I don't think you would be even asking this question if people were capable and/or willing to frame their criticism in constructive way and without the hyperbole.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Echo chamber is a fun phrase born the last few years. You would think with the rise of the internet and thus communication, Echo chambers would be eliminated but instead the clashing of ideals usually ends up with both sides going further in the direction they were already in.

I've noticed both progressive and conservative people in my own circle act VERY differently about their "side" on the internet vs. IRL. Same goes with video game opinions. On the internet, Its much more dramatic and outspoken. IRL, Its much more rational, level headed, and tolerant of opposing viewpoints.

Everything has both good and bad attached. Ignoring one side or the other leads to some type of negative consequence.

I think on the internet people will do their best to rile up the other person. In real life the conversation and tone would go differently, but on the internet it's a brawl.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
If you aren't sure if you're in an echo chamber, say something you know is really stupid and see if something equally stupid is said in response.

Oct 29, 2017
To use an example I care about. FFXV was probably my GOTY the year it came out. Shit is flawed as fuck. Some really big missed opportunities. I know that. I hope most fans of the game know that. However, I still had a ball and loved my time w/ the game. BUT I would avoid all threads about the game because the same 3-5 posters who acted like the game killed their dogs would often dominate every thread about it evangelizing about how shit the game was, and the same 4-5 posters who though the game was the second coming would be in there defending it to the death..and the topic no matter what it was initially about would now be their battleground.

This. There is always that one guy who just can't abide someone liking a game and is ready to unleash the fusillade when the discussion gets too positive. It's exhausting.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I try to consciously be more positive in regards to things especially when it really doesn't matter to be negative. Does anybody need to know I don't really care for some game? Nah, let the fans be positive about it and everyone can move on to something they like. If it's an important matter like a political issue or something then yeah it's important to talk about but I don't think I should just come into an OT and shit on a game all the time. Just move on if you don't like it. What's the harm is just being positive? You're accidentally nice?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I agree with the OP actually. It's unrelated to gaming but I'm a huge fan of the anime Boruto and it's really gotten me through some really tough times when it first started airing and I began to watch it with my friends. We turned it into a tradition to watch each week and it's really been the one time of the week I always look forward to. Unfortunately, I'm unable to discuss theories or anything about the show online because everywhere I look is filled with vile negativity towards the show, sometimes unreasonably so, and given that it's something that brings me such joy, it's unfortunate that I can't even look up anything about it without being flooded with negativity. So yes, I wish there was an "echo chamber" in a sense where I could discuss the show I love so much without people coming in and shitting on the show and me for enjoying it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP. While I wouldn't say we need echo chambers, there are some games where if a thread is made for it here, I go in and hit the ignore thread button.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I try to consciously be more positive in regards to things especially when it really doesn't matter to be negative. Does anybody need to know I don't really care for some game? Nah, let the fans be positive about it and everyone can move on to something they like. If it's an important matter like a political issue or something then yeah it's important to talk about but I don't think I should just come into an OT and shit on a game all the time. Just move on if you don't like it. What's the harm is just being positive? You're accidentally nice?
Yeah, there's so much good stuff to play and talk about too, I really don't see any sense dwelling in stuff that I don't like or aren't interested in. It's just games. And honestly, I don't think it does good to person's mental health either, I mean to the person who constantly engages in discussion with negative/toxic tone. Though from personal experience, my depression used to also fuel that negativity. But I think it works both ways.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
You should be open to discussing things with people who you're not familiar with (I'm annoyed that I think I have to do this but no, this doesnt include kkk and other hate groups. That is unless you're actively trying to educate and reform them). It isn't good just to hear your what you're thinking. People could have a better way of doing something, could have ideas that you've never thought possible.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I agree with the OP actually. It's unrelated to gaming but I'm a huge fan of the anime Boruto and it's really gotten me through some really tough times when it first started airing and I began to watch it with my friends. We turned it into a tradition to watch each week and it's really been the one time of the week I always look forward to. Unfortunately, I'm unable to discuss theories or anything about the show online because everywhere I look is filled with vile negativity towards the show, sometimes unreasonably so, and given that it's something that brings me such joy, it's unfortunate that I can't even look up anything about it without being flooded with negativity. So yes, I wish there was an "echo chamber" in a sense where I could discuss the show I love so much without people coming in and shitting on the show and me for enjoying it.

And can't you do that with your friends?

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the topic. I think there are a few games on here that I really love and I end up throwing a bunch of initially positive threads on ignore because everyone whats to throw in their hot take. I would say something as low stakes as just wanting to talk positively in a positive thread on a game is nice. Not everything should devolve into the unoriginal shit slinging constantly.

When the thread invites debate, there shouldn't be an echo chamber or if it is a social issue (within reason). There is a specific thread on here I think gets away with too much by closing all outside opinion.