• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I agree with you op
Turns out this forum has the same effect other social networks have in people's behavior.
FOMO, the need to be part of an event.
Being poor helps me a lot because it makes the behavior of impulse buy impossible.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Era isn't very representative of the larger gaming population and there have been multiple posts (and at least one thread that I can remember) complaining about the atmosphere here giving them severe cases of anxiety and FOMO even for games, let alone the new consoles. Quite frankly, this place can be very bad for one's mental health when it comes to this.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
It would be easier to wait if I knew I could get one whenever I wanted. But now like toilet paper in a grocery store during a pandemic, we never know when its coming and its gone in a instant.

Waiting a month? No problem (ish). But how long will we really have to wait unless we are F5ing for the rest of the year?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the product. I agree it really shouldn't be that big of a deal for the big flagship consoles, but tell that to the people who will have to wait half a year PLUS for niche hardware like the analouge pocket.

I feel bad for people that missed out on that cause not only do they have to wait for the first batch to be done to JUST to be able to preorder and then they gotta wait for their batch to be made!

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If it was a month ago, with influencers and journalists having new consoles, a PS5 at double the price might seem like a bargain.

Five years from now you might be able to get a PS5 and all its best exclusives for less than its recommended retail price today. Some people will get into next-gen then.

There is no 'point' where buying a console goes from irrational to rational, or whatever. It's an internal threshold of price sensitivity and perceived entertainment value.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
I think FOMO for some people is severely increased this year due to lockdowns and events they might usually be attending being cancelled. It's retail therapy for some people as well.

I know a lot of people who have turned to gaming to get by during this year.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
The souls games are my favorite series of all time but I'll be waiting until there are more games on the system to justify buying the ps5. The temptation is there though for me, I did end up preordering but then cancelled my preorder because I was in a less secure employment situation than I am now.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The launch version is the most expensive, buggiest and weakest version of the console that's going to be available, it's not worth buying.

Not worth buying? Depends on the person. I don't regret being a part of console launches since I started doing it in the 90s. I just upgrade and sell my launch console when the best revision comes out. But with Sony producers, sometimes the launch edition is worth keeping, like the launch 60Gb PS3 (which I still own to play PS2 and PS3 games).

I take preparing for these launches financially and logistically seriously though so I always land a preorder no matter how attentive and tired I would get staying up to click add to cart to get a preorder. I've always gotten a preorder and this launch was no different.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FOMO, combined with poor impulse control, can be a hell of a thing. That's why I think it's gross for people to make excuses for scalpers taking advantage of those people, while also chastising publishers for using similar tactics.
I do have a PSTV actually, I forgot to list it... :P
Probably I miss just the Pocketstation, but it was never released in EU, so it doesnt count.
But do you also have the PlayStation 3D display, or the TV with a PS2 built into it?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I think about people who are willing to overpay the PS5 I see a child in the store begging and crying to mommy that he wants that toy on the shelf and being unable to contain himself. I don't understand how can a mature person be so childish to let someone fuck them in the ass with such overblown price.

you don't understand? It's easy economics. When demand is high and supply is low, people are willing to pay higher prices. Because money and prices are just an arbitrary measure of value, to some people a PS5 is worth $1000+ and they have it.

I had an extra console come in from Walmart, and I put it up for auction. The winner bought it for $1100 and messaged me to thank me for selling it to her, as she is too busy to play the online order shenanigans but she really wants to give her boyfriend the console for Christmas, and I made her plans come true. Obviously there's people where their time is more valuable than their money, so they will pay higher prices to make this easier for them.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
When I was 12 and the GameCube was about to come out, it would have been hard to wait because I was very young and excited. Not paying-more-for-it-hard, but I would have been impatient about getting it, had it been sold out. As an adult person, I cannot imagine having any issue with waiting for any product that I do not really need.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Not hard at all.

I just live and play other shit. Getting a ps5 is not that serious and id rather wait 6 months to a year for the console to iron out the kinks and build its library a bit.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Very easy for me. I'll let the others beta test the product.
I can wait for a year or two, or when the slim version comes.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What does FOMO stand for? I've seen it used here but I can't work it out

Fear of Missing Out. It's the idea that you have to buy & play the new hotness immediately, when in many cases, your experience would be improved if you could just be patient (lower price, patches, etc.).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yes and no.

During launch is the most exciting wonderous "Feels like you are kid" time so its hard not to want to be in on that newness and excitement and flurry. Any other time pretty easy

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Fomo is ridicolous but if you consider there isn't a single game that cant be played on your PS4 at the moment even cyberpunk is a ps4 game your not technically missing out anything. The box is just a big shiny new thing on the inside the PS4 still plays 99% of all games available. I got one at launch and ho estly 449 seems like a lot for this system its literally just a PS4 Pro+ atm.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
The price will be the same in 6 months, in one year.
Who knoes when the major first price cut will be.

There was no reason for me to wait.

Though now with the noise not being optimal I might have gotten a "monday product".

Still no reason to wait a year or so...

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had an extra console come in from Walmart, and I put it up for auction. The winner bought it for $1100 and messaged me to thank me for selling it to her, as she is too busy to play the online order shenanigans but she really wants to give her boyfriend the console for Christmas, and I made her plans come true. Obviously there's people where their time is more valuable than their money, so they will pay higher prices to make this easier for them.
And here you are posting in the last chance thread about buying more PS5s, alongside people who dont even have one? What the fuck dude? How many Christmases do you plan on "making come true" for double the price?

May 20, 2018
I really don't like the "Theres nothing to play that can't be played on past consoles" argument. Switch launched with practically no exclusives and I still think it was a worthy machine at launch.

Oct 26, 2017
Not worth buying? Depends on the person. I don't regret being a part of console launches since I started doing it in the 90s. I just upgrade and sell my launch console when the best revision comes out. But with Sony producers, sometimes the launch edition is worth keeping, like the launch 60Gb PS3 (which I still own to play PS2 and PS3 games).

I take preparing for these launches financially and logistically seriously though so I always land a preorder no matter how attentive and tired I would get staying up to click add to cart to get a preorder. I've always gotten a preorder and this launch was no different.

I'm glad you take your scalping seriously.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
The launch version is the most expensive, buggiest and weakest version of the console that's going to be available, it's not worth buying.

That's right. Also with nearly everything being cross-gen I see no immediate incentive in jumping in day 1. You just have to resist the hype for a little while.

Reel Big Fish

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Is it hard to wait? No. If you have disposable income and don't want to wait, I don't see a problem with buying from a scalper. I personally haven't, but I'm not going to judge someone on how they spend their money.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
And here you are posting in the last chance thread about buying more PS5s, alongside people who dont even have one? What the fuck dude? How many Christmases do you plan on "making come true" for double the price?

I just sold the extra that I didn't account for coming in from Walmart (because they originally said it would ship in December, then it arrived by surprise on launch day instead before I planned to cancel the order). I've been buying more consoles when I can since then because I bought one for my boyfriend and another for my good friend who is currently in South Korea and can't find one. And another for my friend in Dallas. And I've been doing it like everyone else, mad refreshing and clicking, no bots, no snapping up multiple consoles at the store. Chill.

OP
OP
ffvorax

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like the "Theres nothing to play that can't be played on past consoles" argument. Switch launched with practically no exclusives and I still think it was a worthy machine at launch.

Indeed is probably the PS5, but for double or more the price? That is the point.

But do you also have the PlayStation 3D display, or the TV with a PS2 built into it?

I am not that much of a fan I guess....? Lol, I barely used the PSTV but I got it for 10€.... everything else was worth the expense.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
I am susceptible to FOMO and I don't like it when things are talked about ad nauseum that I won't be able to experience immediately (though that's more for game details and "not quite spoilers, but gosh I wished I could have discovered that on my own before Kotaku wrote a feature on it" kind of thing. I also see cynical marketing for what it is, and these announcements of "well shucks, we didn't think this gol'durned gamin' box would be so dadgum popular! We won't be able to have stock on shelves till April!" are nothing but a naked attempt to foment FOMO and drive sales in this fiscal year.

No, it's not hard to wait, but it's not hard to feel like there are bugs crawling on my skin and they'll only go away if I buy the Hot New Thing. Though it'll probably end up like last generation and I'll lose my arousal after a few months, and never even bother to get the silly things.

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
Hype and anxiety can make people crazy. I even said that wasn't gonna buy it now because I wanted to wait for a Slim version but I may give in soon just for Demons Souls...

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
I am waiting, but it's hard to wait for the last piece, 5950x, to finish my highend PC build. Looks like, it could take 6-8 months from the first item I bought compare to normally 1 month.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Its super easy. CP2077 is one of my most anticipated games, but I am not playing it at launch.

Same with consoles for me. I think I never got one at launch.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I would've loved to play Demon's Souls again while online/pvp was still in the chaotic first stage. That timeframe is already over and the boring meta is back. Now I have no rush to get a PS5 until GT7 releases because there is not a single game on PS5 (or XSX) right now that I can't play anywhere else.

But I can't say I didn't try to order one. It just wasn't possible. Even knowing the exact time new stock went online didn't help at all. Demand is just too crazy right now and probably long into next year.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017

It had a highly anticipated sequel to one of gaming's longest running franchises, that's a guaranteed sale to a lot of people eager to avoid getting elements of the game spoiled.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even if there was a game I really wanted, I would never buy the console for more than retail price. It makes absolutely no sense to me since I can't feel FOMO from this type of thing.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
In a time when games are a live service, and certain games either "die a natural death" or literary die by being closed down, and other games are part of the "online conversation" during a certain time - of course it matters.
Imagine if a "new PT" is suprise released for PS5 right NOW. A game that makes so much more sense if you experience it there and then, when everyone else experiences it.
Or lets say a cool season event in a game that will never come back, like Fortnite or something
Or how about a multiplayer game that has 400k viewers on twitch right now and a vibrant community, but will be a completely different experience and perhaps even dead in a few months, like Fallguys.

Yeah, it matters a WHOLE lot.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
FOMO can be extremely powerful for some people. I'm lucky that I got a preorder in, but if I missed it I would've just had to wait a few months like I did with the PS4.