• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
2020_Global_Time_Series-1-1024x577.png

Consoles are going to need a big ass heat sink in 2071.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No you can predict, anyone with a close eye on trends, the future and experience to back it up can do this, people have done it in the past:

Thats not to say everyone gets it exactly right but as the video above (from 1974) shows Arthur C Clarke was able to nail a large amount of predictions about the size and types of uses for computers and the internet a long way in advance.

This is a guess about ~25 years in the future; and it's super interesting.. but what he's actually predicting are "local mainframes" where you in your house have a "dumb terminal" connecting to them. And then of course he's suggesting they'll be networked. But these things were well on their way... microcomputers had been invented (the size of a large microwave), the internet was essentially invented around that time and early pre-internet networks that spanned countries existed (and I think at that time had plans for international connections.)

It's a cool interview; but it was based on the momentum of the time and not really "his" prediction. And it also wasn't particularly accurate... especially since he's suggesting you'll have a dumb terminal w/ a local mainframe, not an actual computer in your home. What happened much sooner was people having actual PCs locally.. and actual internet 10 years before this prediction.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
In 50 years time? Physical media and media players such as consoles will be dead since decades back. I doubt they'll even use screens as we know them by then. Also, I'll be dead.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If the thread was about "Hey, where do you think we will be at as a society in 50 years?" Sure. This is a thread about home consoles, so I'd say it's pretty much hysterics and fearmongering.
So you think the best way to answer the question, is to willfully ignore the context of a changing world at large?

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I could see eventually removing the need for dedicated hardware and everything just goes straight to the TV. Do I think Nintendo will be making Mario games in 2070? Sure why not? It's a timeless IP.

I think some of the takes about VR or neural link are not going to hold up. There's a whole subculture around games, playing them and appreciating them. People still listen to vinyl even though it's 80 years old and you can get Spotify directly on your devices for much cheaper. I think saying video games are going to be unrecognizable in 50 years is like saying rock music won't exist in 50 years because you can't even imagine the futuristic instruments they'll use and the music will go straight to your brain. Even if there are new dominant modes of entertainment in the future people will still be attached to the "traditional" ones.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Maybe not be so doomsaying in a thread, not directly about it?

the thread is directly about the future, a future that most scientific prognoses estimate will be incredibly disastrous with political instability, millions dead, and potential civilizational collapse. The games industry and its mining and pollution of the earth through their hardware production is directly contributing to this future, so asking where these consumer products that are part of destroying the environment will be 50 years from now will implicitly motivate comments that some people find uncomfortable. Ignoring the existential threat won't make it go away.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
the thread is directly about the future, a future that most scientific prognoses estimate will be incredibly disastrous with political instability, millions dead, and potential civilizational collapse. The games industry and its mining and pollution of the earth through their hardware production is directly contributing to this future, so asking where these consumer products that are part of destroying the environment will be 50 years from now will implicitly motivate comments that some people find uncomfortable. Ignoring the existential threat won't make it go away.
Nobody is saying we're ignoring it, we're just not talking about it here?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I could see eventually removing the need for dedicated hardware and everything just goes straight to the TV. Do I think Nintendo will be making Mario games in 2070? Sure why not? It's a timeless IP.

I think some of the takes about VR or neural link are not going to hold up. There's a whole subculture around games, playing them and appreciating them. People still listen to vinyl even though it's 80 years old and you can get Spotify directly on your devices for much cheaper. I think saying video games are going to be unrecognizable in 50 years is like saying rock music won't exist in 50 years because you can't even imagine the futuristic instruments they'll use and the music will go straight to your brain. Even if there are new dominant modes of entertainment in the future people will still be attached to the "traditional" ones.
That's not a given. Sometimes things can shift so drastically that it just obliterates everything else. If, and this is of course a big if, we had a neural link for VR in 50 years, I would not be remotely surprised if it ended any new screen-based games from being developed by humans. It would likely be the end of real life as we know it even - most people would almost certainly choose to live their days virtually, at least as much as possible.

Rock music just doesn't fit the cut here. It's not something that scales with technology in a drastic way. Gaming on the other hand is extremely reliant on technological advancement.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
50 years is to long to make a good prediction. But looking at the progression tech has made since the late 80"s im gonna have to say no.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Except these two things are nothing alike. Admittedly the world underestimated covid, but it's still a new virus that struck (mostly)out of nowhere which means that things aren't going to be handled perfectly.

A lot of countries are aware of climate change and are taking loads of measures. Seems like America has joined the Paris agreement as well now IIRC.

Ah yes, the Paris agreement which most countries have completely failed to meet. Really?
If you think loads of measures are being taken I suggest doing some reading on how far behind we are what's necessary.