• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's been almost 50 years since we are introduced to the concept of home consoles or home entertainment system on the floor, back in 1970.

50 years gone by, and by 2020's standards, home consoles are the mainstream devices for playing non-PC video games.

Is it realistic to say, 50 years into the future, in 2070, we still using home consoles?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's not smart to make any consumer driven predictions 50 years in the future.

Consoles didn't even exist 50 years ago.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games will likely just be streamed to TVs with Netflix-like services long before that making current consoles irrelevant.

Oct 29, 2017

This was the peak of gaming back in 1971...November of '71, so it wouldn't have even existed 50 years ago.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions about 2071 in light of that.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's not realistic to make any assumptions about consumer electronics 50 years from now.

15 years from now? Sure, consoles will still be around.

50? Impossible to know.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Home consoles or dedicated devices? I think the latter are more likely the continue to exist than the former. For example, VR is a dedicated device (although it probably won't just be used for gaming).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No idea. Consoles are supposed to be dead already. PC's are supposed to be dead. Streaming is supposed to have taken over. Who the hell knows.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
We would have considered a 2021-era modern smartphone the realm of science fiction 20 years ago. It's almost impossible to predict.

I think one thing is for sure: I'll still be playing games, wherever they are.

Nov 1, 2020
50 years is far enough into the future than one can even skip past external AR/VR devices and go straight to.... I dunno, embedding chips in our head? Multiple decades into the future in this era is sci-fi fun time.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
World will be over by then.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Life as we know it might not be here to stay in another 50 years my guy.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
2070 you say? All I know is that we will be 7 years away from a functioning version of Cyberpunk at that time...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tech will be almost unrecognizable in 30 years, let alone 50.
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I couldn't have imagined we would all be carrying around multifunctional, globally connected super computers with in our pockets when I was growing up in the 90s. Who knows what kind of crazy stuff is on the horizon.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
People still regularly listen to radio. Video games on a TV are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Will they still be the major driver of a billion (trillion) dollar industry in 50 years? Maybe? Probably not? Who can say.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I suspect we'll see new generations/updates on consoles for a good while still. But 50 years? I have no clue what life will look like in 50 years, much less whether we play games the same ways.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If technology keep advancing as fast is it has, who knows what a "home console" even looks like. We might have near perfect VR by then (which at that point, what even is a "home console"?)… or not even have "homes" to have consoles inside of in the traditional sense because of things like climate change.

We might be on space ships on our way to Mars… a lot can happen in 50 years.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No, but we'll be saying "Kids these days will never know the feeling of getting a new console, humanity is lost, humpf"

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I am sure will be the case in 50 years is that Nintendo will be doomed.

SilentEagle

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I think we'll see PS6 and next Xbox too but probably there will be no PS7 and equal Xbox version.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will humanity make it in 50 years? I think gaming will be the last thing on our minds at that point.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, but we'll be saying "Kids these days will never know the feeling of getting a new console, humanity is lost, humpf"
"Call me a old fashioned, but we used to press buttons to make Mario jump, instead of just thinking about it really hard, and we liked it! And don't even get me started on before smell-o-vision was invented!"

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite sure that you'll still be able to buy consumer electronics for gaming in 50 years that let you play locally on your own terms rather than the only option being streaming data from a server. It might not be the most popular option though.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I have my doubts that we'll have the ability to R&D, mine, refine, ship, and then create the circuits on a useful scale to keep expanding technology needed for mass consumer devices in 50 years. I think we'll be battling an unprecedented refugee crisis, hunger crisis, extreme homelessness, crime rates exploding, wealth inequality beyond sustainability, ect. Stuff will still exist but growth into the future is going to stall hard.

That's my prediction anyways.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Are you sure there is no typo in title? Did you really mean "in another 50 years" instead of "in another 5 years"?

Trying to predict this is almost impossible. If world is in post-apocalyptit mode in 50 years, physical and offline console may survive.