• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
You are missing out if you let art dictate. I used to be that way years ago but everything changed once I said screw it and started playing game I thought were not "my thing". Once I did that the pandora's box was opened and I started checking out everything as long as it had something interesting.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can get passed a game's art style if I don't like it, but not if I hate it.

I can't think of any games off of the top of my head, but you'll never get me to watch One Piece, for example.

Something like TLOU has a completely bland art style. They're shooting for gritty realism and edge factor. It's like a 1-5-6-4 chord progression. It's bog standard and unremarkable--but it's popular and it works. The narrative for the first game carried it enough where I'd give it an 8 despite its art direction and okay gameplay.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Art can dictate the tone of a game.

People keep raving about 13 sentinels, I checked out the start and begins with a 9th grader lifting up her skirt to activate a tatto that teleports her into a mech, then commenting on how she's naked inside of it.

I'm somehow not a bit surprised. I knew it was not something I'd enjoy playing, and it turns out I was right :P

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I admit, it's hard for me.

I'm an artist, and I absolutely adore appealing art design. I get turned off really easily if the art design isn't something I'm feeling, and it distracts from my enjoyment of what could otherwise be a great experience. This applies to games, cartoons, movies, tv, etc.

I've definitely stopped watching a show, or playing a game, because the art style/design was just really ugly to me, and I found it distracting.

Interesting exception to the rule currently is Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Not the biggest fan of the art style, but it's also not egregiously unappealing, so I'm still enjoying the game. There are aspects of the art design I like (in particular the environments, and some of the monster designs). The human designs are ho hum, but not altogether hideous. They look kind of like action figures, and like it's going for a Disney Infinity look, but falling short of that (I actually like how the Disney Infinity characters looked, actually).

It's the only one that comes to mind of a game where I wasn't all in on the art design, but still stuck with the game.

I couldn't get into Salt & Sanctuary, despite enjoying the gameplay, because I just didn't find the art design appealing. I really tried, because I met the designers at E3, and they were such cool, friendly people, that I wanted to give it a shot. I played it for a few hours when it released, but eventually just dropped it.

There's this other game that had a really cool premise (I think the character was in the spirit world and could possess people or something? i played it ages ago), but I really didn't like the art style at all, and dropped it too. I can totally appreciate a wide variety of art styles, and there are definitely countless art styles that I admire and adore, that are all wildly different from one another, but there are a handful that I don't dig. I'd probably say the amount of art styles I appreciate and adore outweigh the few I don't by a significant margin.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I also had a similar reaction when I discovered that 13 Sentinels had anime art. However, It was not the artstyle part that bummed me (I enjoy the art in many anime shows and games), but the terrible tropes I immediatly associate with anime media.

But to answer your question: Yes, and it might even make you appreciate the art style more by the end.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. realistic shooters and zombies do nothing to inspire me, but love RE2 because of its level design. Though it does prevent it from being goat

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I found The Binding of Isaac's art style off-putting and unappealing, and subsequently bounced off of it the first few times. Then on around the fourth time coming back to it the gameplay clicked and I fell into a hole with it. Have hundreds of hours in that game over the years now. Genuinely incredible game.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love OP art style :(
Sorry, but I just couldn't get used to it. Fairy Tail was just different enough where I could get past it, but I didn't finish that either.

Dragonball art, at least the early stuff, I don't like either. But the more refined later art is decent, and I actually really like AT's original colored works. There's a charm to his line work and how he colors.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Yes, as someone who thinks good art style is essential to a great game, I still manage to enjoy slay the spire, which has an art style I do not appreciate at all

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Art style can help me appreciate a game even more, but it will not deter me from buying a game.

J-Soul

Nov 11, 2020
I despise Binding of Isaac's "poop on a baby" aesthetic and yet I've put an unholy amount of hours into it. Really wish it looked like anything else.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Depends, but even within the realm of "anime" there are so many diverse styles. For example I don't mind Persona but simply couldn't get into Fates of Morgana or any big head chibi games.

OP
OP
I Like Ginger Cats:3
Mar 31, 2018
Cheers for all the replies. Made me question to try out 13 Sentinals at least, so guess something good came out of it. I hope!

Think I stated the anime thing a bit weird, I probably should have named it 'tropes' or something indeed as someone mentioned. I can enjoy me some glorious anime style (if you can for example call Ni No Kuni anime style), but many of the anime tropes I can not for example. Once I see them fluffy girls or squeeky voice or yes, indeed, sorry, the whole Persona stuff I already cringe or the whole Boy Band thing from FF15. It's not anime, just some style you sort of link to anime, if that makes any sense? Yet Catherine I really like, it's odd.

Same thing with other genres. The insanely not funny style in Borderlands games for example is something I cringe at.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like how something looks, you're wasting your time trying to convince yourself to ignore it.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I have tolerance up to a point.

I like the Danganronpa series while I don't really like the art style.

But stuff like Clannad and lots of visual novel, I just can't get past through it. I'm probably missing great stuff but I just can't.

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising is an ugly game but I love it.

I've still yet to play Twilight Princess, mostly because I can't stand how it looks. Since it's a longer game and part of a franchise I love, the art style is harder to accept.

OP
OP
I Like Ginger Cats:3
Mar 31, 2018
Metal Gear Rising is an ugly game but I love it.

I've still yet to play Twilight Princess, mostly because I can't stand how it looks. Since it's a longer game and part of a franchise I love, the art style is harder to accept.

Yeah, Twilight Princess is actually good example. I disliked everything about the visual design, from character designs to the way it was presented in general but I got over it and enjoyed it plenty. So it is possible, just... Sometimes it isn't. In case of Persona 4, I just couldn't, for example, as much as the game ticked the boxes I liked.