• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it possible to be a Republican and not be a bad person?

• Yes

Votes: 594 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 897 45.6%
  • It’s complicated

Votes: 478 24.3%

• Total voters

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
If you're conservative based on one or any combination of the following:

Fuck immigrants
Fuck ethnic minorities
Fuck LGBTQ
Fuck the poor
Fuck women and their reproductive rights
Fuck the environment

You're a piece of shit. I don't care how nice you are in your personal life. Also the type of person who goes "yeah I don't exactly vote conservative for the above reason, but hey they make my taxes go lower so good luck to everyone else they fuck with their policies" is a selfish piece of shit.

K-Jay

Oct 27, 2017
No, there are no "good" republicans. Not any more.

If you associate yourself with a group that does evil things (regardless of if you condone them or not) then you're not a "good" person.

Today's republican falls into one of 3 categories:

1. A racist, sexist, LGBTQ-phobic individual. (among MANY other things)

2. Someone who's ok with supporting racist, sexist, LGBTQ-phobic policies and agendas.

3. Someone who's in league with racists, sexists, LGBTQ-phobes and refuses to admit it in spite of the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

I'm sorry but it doesn't matter how polite you are to others or how nice your intentions may be.

Evil is still fucking evil and the Republican party (and it's members) is responsible for FAR too much of it to ever be considered "good".

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you can have conservative values, keep it to yourself, and be a good person.

I do not feel that you can currently support the Republican party without being a shitty person, or stupid/gullible.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, the majority of Republicans voted for Donald Trump.

That means they willingly voted for a man who admitted to sexual assault on tape and who rolled back health protections for the LGBTQ community in July.

When you willingly vote to take away the rights of people -- and I mean basic human rights like not being denied healthcare because you're transgender and not "rights" such as the ability to own an assault rifle that can kill dozens of people in a minute -- it's hard to make an argument that you're a good person.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

If you associate yourself with a group that does evil things (regardless of if you condone them or not) then you're not a "good" person.

2. Someone who's ok with supporting racist, sexist, LGBTQ-phobic policies and agendas.

3. Someone who's in league with racists, sexists, LGBTQ-phobes and refuses to admit it in spite of the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

I'm sorry but it doesn't matter how polite you are to others or how nice your intentions may be.

Evil is still fucking evil and the Republican party (and it's members) is responsible for FAR too much of it to ever be considered "good".
This. It's 2020 and anyone pleading ignorance is just trying to convince themselves that they somehow aren't.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Being republican basically means you hate anything decent. Or you are part of an organization that does. How does that make you good?

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Of course. In most countries, the distinctions between liberals and conservatives are very small. Both sides have far more in common than not. Joe Biden is a perfect example.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I put it's complicated. I think you can be a good person on a microscale and be a bad person on a macroscale and vice versa.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As a portuguese or as an opinion fro mthe outside it is really ahrd to see republicans as anything else as evil/bad people

Alongside this every recent GOP leader (bush and trump) have either betrayed allies or done something really bad (like war) for very nebulous reasons. From the outside one has to wodner what the citizens of the USA think when their government is doing such level of shitty behaviours and the citizens do jack shit.

For example in Portugal our border control (SEP) killed an Ukrainian person because, well, they are bad people. THe social media has been pressuring the government and more cases of extreme violence appeared (fortunately no more known deaths). The gorvernment is now trying to reform the isntituition. Hopefully the media keeps pressure up so things get done (there already been people fired and some people will be brought into the court of law, which i imagine with manslaughter/homicide as the cause).
It is not like Portugal is perfect or that these actions will make this institution "good" but it sure seems like there will be much more control so that these enforcers do their jobs and don't torture immigrants. It won't happen in a few weeks but hopefully the blocks are now set in place to slowly improve the situation to an acceptable level.

My point is that it boggles my mind when i see a problem in the USA (for example shooting at schools) and USA people don't even try to fix it. I don't understand why not at the very least try to fix stuff so that more people are happy and have more opportunities. Our society is as strong as our weakest link.

So peopel that support GOP KNOW they are hurting others. How can someone that willingly chooses to hurt others be anything else than evil/bad?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
When people talk about republican ideals that are not outright bad or evil what would be some examples of those? And further why would you need to be a republican to hold those views?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm a leftist and I would say yes, people are complicated. Politicians on the other hand, no. There are a lot of bad Democratic politicians too though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Depends (talking about citizens here)
Is every democrat a good person?
You don't have to like them or be their friend, but I think it's unhealthy to view half of the country as evil - and the other half as good by default.

Regardless of whether you think it's true or not, why would "all republicans are evil" imply "all democrats are good"? Does "all nazis are evil" imply "all non-nazis are good"?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This year alone it's hard to feign ignorance on why you voted for and/or associate yourself with MAGA GOP.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can be a good person and republican. I look to people like Michael Steele. But I'm friends with some hard right people. And we definitely disagree on things. But I find if you can be friends first you can reach these people on some topics. It's all like sports. People picks teams and like to root for them.
it's like sports, yep. sometimes your team scores, sometimes their team strips rights from vulnerable people and murders people. sports!

the fact that a certain class of people get to delude themselves that politics is just a fun game that doesn't happen in reality and not something that has real, fatal human consequence because they're entirely insulated from them is like half the reason america is as fucked up as it is

Oct 25, 2017
I think genuinely supporting the Republican party is clearly a worse moral decision than supporting the admittedly flawed and still damaging Democratic party. And you would have to be doing a lot of benefit to your community to make up for the harm caused by supporting the Republican party if we're looking at this from a societal harm/benefit perspective. Of course, that can't actually be measured anyways.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
You can have good qualities, but supporting the modern Republican agenda and especially supporting Trump these last few years is choosing to be a bad person. Trump was not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. Cruelty towards various groups and individuals is what he often used as his selling point. He publicaly supported and re-tweeted Nazis more than once ffs.

Last edited:

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
User Warned: Antagonizing Other Users
You have to be a special kind of stupid to vote no on this but this is Era so it's not surprising given the current poll results.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Yes all republicans are bad people. Varying degrees to be sure but still bad. I admire that some still believe there is good somewhere in there but I gave up that fight years ago. The United States deserves better. People deserve better.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Politician? Nope.

Citizen that voted Republican in 2020? Nope.

Citizen that identifies as a Republican but hasn't voted for Trump. Er...maybe?

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
If you're Republican, you support their values and ideas which are inherently scummy. That's all there is to it. Not to come off like an arrogant bastard but that's just the way it is.

I'm not saying you can't change your views but if you support them, you support what they stand for and we all know what the entails.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The baseline idea of wanting a smaller government with less control of its people which is what republicans are supposed to be is fine and with some policies even a laudable position, but the current incarnation of the american republican party is so corrupt and baldly malicious that anyone voting for them because of any single policy they claim to represent or claim that the democratic party does not represent is willfully ignorant at best and at this point probably closer to outright criminal accomplice. At some nebulous abstracted link down the chain of repercussions for their choice, they hope that their vote hurts someone. They need life to have losers, and that's an unconscionable attitude in a functional representative democracy that's supposed to fundamentally be about uniting and helping each other.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was 19 I got drunk and registered Republican because it was hilarious and I felt like a mole "in with the enemy" still voting straight Democrat for 20 years.

Honestly the day I watched the Trump clan walk into the White House was one of the worst days of my life and it wasn't funny anymore from that point.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because you can find someone that thinks of themselves as a Republican but will still denounce everything the Republican party of today says and does. Being a Republican to some is just simply disagreeing with a lot of the specifics of Democrats' policies. Which is... troublesome, but I don't know if it necessarily makes you a bad person. You're just a product of our two-party system with lots of ignorance sprinkled in.

I still voted "no" because we're starting to get to the point where Republican ideology is just the hollowing out of our institutions and our country and anyone who is mildly informed and still isn't convinced of this is operating in bad faith. I don't think the excuse "democrats bad" to save face works as well as it did a decade ago.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The number of never trumpers that are basically just libertarians masquerading around inside the GOP is very, very small and they have practically no sway. I suppose they have something approaching plausible deniability in this situation. Everyone else is for Trump's brand of bullshit and everything it entails. Most of these people are so hopelessly lost down the Fox News/whatever rabbit hole that there is no bringing them back. They may not be overtly racist or mean or terrible, but they vote for people to be that way on their behalf.

It's important to remember that the flip side of being 'progressive' or 'liberal' or a 'democrat' does not automatically make you a better/good person. The world isn't binary.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if any republicans think of democrats as good people.
A lot don't, though not really relevant. They think you're a bad person if you say "Black lives matter". There's a fair number of Democrats that aren't what we would generally consider good either, but being terrible people isn't hard coded into the party philosophy. The modern Republican Party on the other hand has that as a central feature.

There's a reason being a "bleeding heart" liberal is an insult for them. There's also a reason being a "social justice warrior" is bad to them. And they wear the term "deplorable" as a badge of honor. They also don't rail against "political correctness" because of their first amendment rights being violated.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
If you are still a registered republican after the last four years, you can go fuck yourself.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to be both conservative and a good person? Maybe.

Is it possible to be a good person, yet identify as a Republican in FUCKING 2020?!? Jesus Christ, NO. If the events of the last 30 fucking days, let alone the last four years, still has you labeling yourself as a member of the GOP, go fuck yourself.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you still call yourself a Republican after all of this bullshit then you're definitely a shitty person.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
If you're a Republican, you are either a dumbass or a shitty person. I voted for "It's complicated" because there are people who are just dumbasses but seem like nice people, but granted I am a cis straight white guy with tons of privilege. I have met people who legitimately say and believe that the Republicans are doing right and care for them and the poor and what not while the Democrats are doing bad things and are just a party for the rich and elite. Just because you are an incompetent dumbass doesn't mean you are a bad person I say.

Like I have met people who have argued that Biden is a racist pedophile while also being a homophobic sexual predator, while believing that Trump is a saint who supports women's rights, LGBT+ rights and isn't a predator or pedo. Obviously, these people are wrong and are dumbasses and have harmful beliefs, but it's people like that which make it hard for me to make a blanket statement of "all republicans are bad people" though I do have no qualms saying that all Trump supporting Republicans are either shitty people or dumbasses because that's a guarantee at this point

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Okay, so explain how it isn't. Trump is a serial sexual assaulter, this is fact. By casting a vote for him, you would have to be okay with that. This is not something he ever apologized for or even acknowledged as a bad thing. Please explain how by voting in the affirmative, by taking a deliberate action for someone who has done that, how thy would not be okay with sexual assault. This is of course just one example but we can stick with this one for now.

If your moral compass said sexual assault was bad, you would not be able to cast that vote.
because some of them at least don't believe it happened. Once again these people are so brainwashed they live in a completely different reality. Yes, partly they are complicit because they don't question the news they choose to listen to and will believe all else is a lie so they can be right but in the end it end so up with them so brainwashed they truly believe it's all lies about their beloved furor.

After trump and knowing a few people who still vote and support republicans and trump I am now seeing how after Germany lost wwii you had Germans who lived in towns near concentration camps who had no clue it was going on. Propaganda is some powerful shit.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
There are outliers (e.g. people who are registered R but don't act like it or believe in the party), but I consider them a rounding error, so I voted No.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
If you're a Republican, you are either a dumbass or a shitty person. I voted for "It's complicated" because there are people who are just dumbasses but seem like nice people, but granted I am a cis straight white guy with tons of privilege. I have met people who legitimately say and believe that the Republicans are doing right and care for them and the poor and what not while the Democrats are doing bad things and are just a party for the rich and elite. Just because you are an incompetent dumbass doesn't mean you are a bad person I say.

Like I have met people who have argued that Biden is a racist pedophile while also being a homophobic sexual predator, while believing that Trump is a saint who supports women's rights, LGBT+ rights and isn't a predator or pedo. Obviously, these people are wrong and are dumbasses and have harmful beliefs, but it's people like that which make it hard for me to make a blanket statement of "all republicans are bad people" though I do have no qualms saying that all Trump supporting Republicans are either shitty people or dumbasses because that's a guarantee at this point

Honestly the worst thing is they don't have to be dumb to be this brainwashed. But it does take too much pride to admit you are wrong and a want to believe anything that tells you you are right. The smart ones are the most frustrating cause they are the ones that will find all sorts of ways to justify why not to listen to any news that doesn't show them right.