• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it acceptable etiquette to remove shoes and/or socks while watching a movie?

• Yeah sure, get relaxed!

Votes: 119 8.7%
  • Yes, but only if nobody is sitting close to you....and at least keep your socks on!

Votes: 201 14.6%
  • No, that's disgusting -- what kind of animal would do that?

Votes: 1,055 76.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Saturday morning here in the UK and I've woken up to a classic weekend era thread.

To answer your question OP, keep your shoes on.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Serious question:

Why on earth would you do that?!

Second not-so-serious question:

How about those folks who go and see a film at the cinema in summertime whilst wearing flip-flops, seeing as they're practically barefoot already?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
...after seeing someone last weekend playing DDR barefoot, this shouldn't shock but it still freaking does. Why. I read the OP, I'm glad you're not looking for validation. But why did you have to bring the fact this happens into my life.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
What? Of course I don't take off my shoes and rest my feet on the dirty theater floor carpet, I'm not an animal.

I just slip my heels out of my shoes to air out my sweaty feet. Some smell does escape, but I reckon it's fine once my feet dry.

Jan 10, 2018
Yes, I do sometimes. Mostly when the movie is really long and I have warm shoes on. But I would never take them off if I have smelly feet so I always check first. I'm very careful with body care so I always have clean feet with fresh socks.

That someone finds it disgusting just to see feet at a theather couldn't bother me less. I really do not care that much for the opinion of others. I'm in a space where people whisper, crunch on snacks and walk right in front of you so I feel that it's kinda mutual.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Of course it is. Just keep your feet as clean and non-stinky as you can, your comfort is very important 😘

This thread is crazy with the negativity. I hope people are joking.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. It's not ok to take your shoes off in public places, it's disrespectful.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I go to the movies after work, so I'll take off my boots. Depending on the day I'll have been in boots anywhere between 10-16 hours. I actually wash my feet and wear clean socks so it never smells. The people that are so against it are probably the ones who don't believe in socks so their feet smell like dead animal mixed with summertime dumpsters

Socks though? Nah..

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, especially during film festivals. Bring some beer and kick the shoes off. It's great! And my socks/shoes don't stink.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't done it but I don't see the big deal. Assuming you're an adult who washes then why would anyone care?

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
First, I do this almost everytime I go to the theater with reclining seats. Most of my friends also do it.

People talking about "sticky floors", its no like anyone keeps walking around the theater. Everyone stay on their seat all the time and their feet are up on the footrest.

And if your feet smell you really should check your higiene and take care of it.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I've done it when there's no-one around me or if I'm watching with a family member. Especially if I've been walking around all day.
But I know my feet don't stink, I take care of myself.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
No that's disgusting. I see people doing this shit in trains as well and they should get fined.

I could maybe see it being allowed if you walk barefoot everywhere (location super close to the beach) and you don't have a pair of shoes with you so noone can really force a dress code on you, but it would still be disgusting.

Keep your shoes on and your pants zipped/buttoned, op.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I see this sometimes here during winter. It has never really bothered me. I don't do it myself but can totally understand someone doing it if you are wearing heavy winter shoes.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Unless your feet smell like a Christmas tree smelling of pine and pure good fuck no.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Are you shoeless fucks the ones who get barefoot on a plane and cram them into the gaps in my seat? If so, please consider institutionalization.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
As long as you don't smell it's okay imo... i mean i go to the theater with flip flop in summer so it's the same as not having shoes on at all...

but usually if i go with shoes i keep them on

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Ya'll are weird and too uptight. As long as your feet don't stink and you keep your socks on, I don't see the problem.

I'll take my shoes off at work sometimes if I want to feel comfortable.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened and almost knocked me out , the stench was so strong.

It's disgusting, even if your hygiene is on point I don't like strangers feet exposed, your in a public area be considerate.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
ff9exirod1331.gif

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I've done it a couple of times because my feet were hurting a bit, of course I kept my socks on and my feet don't smell because I always use deodorant on my feet and shoes.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Just looking at the floor in a movie theater makes me feel gross. Touching it with one of my bare appendages? I'm good.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Slipping off sandals is ok I guess, but that's where I draw the line.

unless you're a cutie, in which case show them toes

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
when I see your shoeless feet at a theatre or on an airplane:

misery.jpg

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
No, I don't think it's okay to do that in the theater - especially it there are plenty of people watching the movie with you.

I just think maybe of one exception - if you are on the whole night movie marathon and you are sure that you've just showered before going for this event? But still, I never do it and would not like to sit opposite someone who does that.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Damn, sounds like the shoe rule is just as complicated as the tipping rule. How am I supposed to know where to take my shoes off!?!?! What about at the library since we are supposed to be quiet

It's not complicated at all. Here's a quick rundown.

Are you in public? Yes. Are you at the pool or the beach? No. Are you a small child? No. Then leave your fucking shoes on.

Are you at home or the pool or the beach? Take them off! Enjoy!