• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People weren't interested in going through your contrarian thought exercise and you kept it going well after it should have stopped. Yes, you were in the wrong here even if their premise was ultimately partially faulty (based on the blurb above that the actress said when describing the scene).

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This feels more like a British "The Office" skit with Rocky Gervais, but set in Vancouver with a bunch of Mandarin.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this is a flashback to every night out I've had ruined because some guy got a bug up his ass and couldn't let an argument go

Discretion is the better part of valor, listen to that voice next time

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
Going by the OP, it didn't sound like your acquaintances were interested in discussing the matter and thus you should have stopped. I don't think you're an asshole, but you need to realize not everyone is up for a debate when it comes to sensitive subjects.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Women were telling you repeatedly that women should not be forced to do anything sexual that makes them uncomfortable, and you continued to tell them that they're wrong as if you have a better understanding of what it's like to be in that position. As if we haven't just had a massive movement showing the amount of uncomfortable situations and straight up sexual assaults happened as a result of power imbalance.

Were you an asshole? Yes.
Did you try to mansplain how women should feel? Yes.

Ding ding ding ding!

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Guys, a while back OP made up a whole troll thread about stock images and memes and intellectual property, with his made up photographer friend or whatever. He even admitted it was a troll thread and fabricated. So far nobody's fallen too far in but I'd recommend nobody take the bait.

edit: To be clear, that thread had a similar "moral dilemma" format with a long story attached to it. This one is pretty similar except that it's even more incendiary and political.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Guys, a while back OP made up a whole troll thread about stock images and memes and intellectual property, with his made up photographer friend or whatever. He even admitted it was a troll thread and fabricated. So far nobody's fallen too far in but I'd recommend nobody take the bait.
When I read that the friend supposedly said "we think people should be safe from feeling uncomfortable" it did occur to me he might be doing the thing where people purposefully misrepresent progressivism, and throw that they told him to "stop mansplaining" on top of that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
sometimes i wonder if people playing the 'devils advocate' roll are just people really really really wanting to win some sort of argument, no mater what it is

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i've played devil's advocate before
giphy.gif

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
sometimes i wonder if people playing the 'devils advocate' roll are just people really really really wanting to win some sort of argument, no mater what it is
I don't think there is really any such thing as playing "devil's advocate". People only really argue a position that they completely "disagree" with if they actually do agree that is has some merit.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a world of distance between willingly getting out of your comfort zone and being forced into an uncomfortable situation with sexual overtones.

You wanted to play devils advocate and got singed, just apologise when you see them next and move on.

Nov 17, 2017
OP, you seem like the type of person who thinks they're the smartest guy in the room and needs to constantly prove it by starting debates out of anything and trying to "win" them. You were a complete asshat in that story.

Oct 27, 2017
So you made up a position on something and then accepted an apology for being insulted for a fetish you don't have, then totally missed the point of what the others were saying and somehow Marvel was still involved.

This is like the most stereotypically Era post possible.

I guess I agreed with you initially that being uncomfortable isn't inherently bad, it can be a normal and even important part of life, but halfway through your post I realized that what you were talking about and what they were talking about couldn't have been more different- being potentially pressured in a sexually charged scenario vs trying new foods and cultures are not at all on the same spectrum of "uncomfortable".

They even told you that and you kept on going on missing the point. Sounds like nuance and subtly isn't your thing, but taking a contrarian position of defending a fetish you don't have kind of set this up for a spectacular collapse from the jump.

edit: To be clear, that thread had a similar "moral dilemma" format with a long story attached to it. This one is pretty similar except that it's even more incendiary and political.
Well at least the OP is consistent in making shit up on positions they may or may not hold to spark a conversation.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like you should've known to stop at that Marvel analogy when the conversation was going sideways. Sometimes it's really not worth it to be 'right'. Should've just made a joke there and ended it.

Nov 17, 2017

One thing that struck me as inconsistent was that his girlfriend didn't say anything. Did she not at any point wonder how her boyfriend has hidden this foot fetish from her all this time but was willing to throw it out to a group of people in order to win a debate they started?

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Mansplaining, sexism, and trolling over a series of posts; prior severe ban
so I've been here "listening" to what everyone said and taking it to heart instead of debating or arguing, and I appreciate the input. I think it's good to learn from mistakes, I've never really been in this kind of situation before usually people in my circle enjoy a bit of healthy debate, and perhaps this wasn't healthy debate. And I'm at fault. Which is totally ok and why I asked. It's good to learn yea? I'd love to respond to everyone but instead I'll reply to two for now.

First:

you are the guy that evaded a permaban and types all kinds of moral ethical dilemma bullshit about that ban, as well as about weird ass shit in the nintendo direct threads. Not sure what your deal is but seem like youve got some problems. Probably shouldn't be commenting on other people.

Also the last thread wasn't a troll, it was a real situation and real story played up for some laughs. Not all jokes hit, but if all jokes are trolls then we gotta ban about half the board. Get over yourself.

Women were telling you repeatedly that women should not be forced to do anything sexual that makes them uncomfortable, and you continued to tell them that they're wrong as if you have a better understanding of what it's like to be in that position. As if we haven't just had a massive movement showing the amount of uncomfortable situations and straight up sexual assaults happened as a result of power imbalance.

Were you an asshole? Yes.
Did you try to mansplain how women should feel? Yes.

now I don't know if you deliberately misread what I said, but the first thing I said that I agreed with them that women shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable, sexually or not. I am totally onboard with that and I explained that, and also that I didn't know what the actress said or what she felt so I couldn't really argue about that. I think the biggest thing was I kept going when I obviously should have stopped, and my gfs sister (mainly) kept insisting that the point wasn't the foot stuff and Tarantino, but being uncomfortable in general. Again I'm ok to be wrong, I'm happy to learn from mistakes, thats what makes us better people, and I won't make that mistake again, but at no point did I even insinuate that it's ok to force women to do something against their will. I'm still ok to be the asshole, I accept that and I'll apologize to her.

Edit: and the people harping on the marvel statement that that would be the part that people turn on me ... again that was a joke, and a hopefully obvious one. It might not have landed, but it's a joke about how defensive marvel fans are around here. Whether you find it funny or not it's ok, just relax a little bit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
"I uncomfortable with this sexual act, but I'm going to stay because I want to experience it, or I think its important to the film" is different than "I'm uncomfortable with sexual act, but I feel I don't have any choice but do it."

Your boss at work might ask you to give a presentation that you're uncomfortable doing. You might feel obligated to do that because, paycheck. That's also not really comparable to your boss asking you to give a presentation because seeing you do it makes his dick hard.

You know this. You should have just shut up.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Or alternatively, was I an asshole?

Sorry in advance for the long post, but want to make sure I include everything. I wrote most of this last night immediately after I went home in order to make it as accurate as possible. Tldr at bottom.

I don't know if demographics matter here but I'm including them just in case. Not sure if what happened has anything to do with gender, culture, language barriers, or if I'm just a dick that transcends all variables. I like to think I'm "woke" but according to last night I am not, need era to set me straight here.

-Me (white straight cis male, american living in china for 7 years)
-My gf (mainland chinese, straight, lives in china)
-Gf sister (chinese, lesbian) Her gf (korean, also lesbian duh, they have lived in Canada for 5 years) call them Bella and Carrie respectively
-straight married couple friends (from Taiwan, lived in Canada nearly a decade apparently) call them David and Eva.

So I'm the only native speaker of English, but we are all fluent and the conversation was entirely in English.

Warning for potential mild Parasite or Once upon a time in Hollywood spoilers.

Story time:

We went to the bar last night in Vancouver. It was my first time meeting the Taiwanese couple, but bella and Carrie I have met multiple times and would consider them to be "friends." We were not drunk yet, had only barely got our first drinks. The conversation was about the oscars and parasite. Taiwanese couple brought it up to the korean girl. Everything was going good until Eva said:

"Did you guys watch once upon a time in Hollywood? The director is so gross, he has a foot fetish."

I said "why is that gross?"

Eva: "it just is, feet are nasty, and he always shows his fetish in his movies."

Me: " I have a foot fetish." (Editors note, I don't, I was being contrarian and kind of trying to get her not to shame people, you know, cuz I'm woke or whatever).

Eva: "it's gross ok? And besides, the actress said it made her uncomfortable. She said she was forced to do it against her will"

Me: "i haven't seen what she said, but if she was forced to do it against her will then I don't think he should have done that to her. But I don't think there is anything wrong with a foot fetish, or with being made to feel uncomfortable."

Bella "no woman should ever be made to feel uncomfortable, especially by a man."

At this point I feel the pressure mounting as they all look at me like I'm some piece of shit, and I need to decide if I should let it go or keep going. I decide to push forward, but as carefully as possible to not be an asshole.

Me " again, I don't think anyone should do anything against their will, and I haven't seen what she actually said about it, but I really don't think being uncomfortable is bad. I haven't seen the movie since it released so I might be misremembering what exactly happened, but wasn't the girl that got her feet filmed also playing a 16 year old that got filmed from behind in tiny shorts bent over looking in the car? And didn't she try to suck brad Pitts dick? Again, I'm not judging her or saying what should or shouldn't make her uncomfortable, but I'd guess most people would feel more uncomfortable filmed from behind while bent over in daisy duke shorts than simply showing their feet."

Carrie: "she didn't want to do it and that's all that matters. They forced her to do it."

Bella and Eva pretty much tag team attack now: "no that's not just what matters. Men shouldn't make women uncomfortable. Men having been doing that too long. No one should ever have to feel uncomfortable in any situation..."

Me: "you made me uncomfortable from the start by attacking my foot fetish!"

Eva: " I'm sorry for that, we all have a right to not be uncomfortable."

Me "I accept your apology, but I disagree still. I think being uncomfortable is an ok thing. Especially in acting. The best movies, the ones that make you feel some real emotion almost all probably make their actors uncomfortable. Do you think filming Parasite was always comfortable? Getting tied to a radiator in a basement and tape over their mouth? Crawling through flooded streets? How about the other actors in OUATIH? Getting the shit beat out of them and fried with a flamethrower ?"(editors note again, I know they didn't really burn up a person or really beat someone, but I can imagine filming those scenes or even seeing a dummy of you getting flamed is pretty uncomfortable).

Carrie: "you don't know if they were uncomfortable unless they said it. Anyway you are misunderstanding what we are saying.

Me: "please explain again then, I want to understand your point of view."

Bella "no he's not misunderstanding, we (implying her and the Taiwan girl) think people should be safe from feeling uncomfortable. No one should be uncomfortable, especially not by someone with power over them like a man, or a male director or boss."

At this point I feel like the conversation has just about run it's course and I'm definitely a villain. Gf has been squeezing my hand and kicking me under the table for the past few minutes trying to get me to stop, but I try one more time (this is probably where era shits on me)

Me: "which movie made you feel more emotion, Once upon a time in Hollywood or any marvel movies? The one with the uncomfortable actress and her feet probably made you feel more emotions, it probably resonated with you a lot more deeply than endgame or captain marvel."

Carrie: "actually I like the marvel movies better, I cried at the end of infinity war."

They all agree with her that marvel is somehow more moving than Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I feel them giving me dagger eyes.

Me: "ok not movies then, I like being in uncomfortable situations. I love traveling and wandering into new cities and back alleys and chatting up strangers. I love trying new foods, trying new experiences like skydiving, or scuba diving... none of these things are comfortable. Getting out of the comfort zone is one of the things that makes me feel alive. Life would be so boring if I was always comfortable."

This is where Bella really comes hard at me

Bella "I don't think any of us really appreciate you mansplaining. Men aren't always right, especially not men like you. Let's just change the topic and be done with it."

So I'm pretty much left shook by what happened, they ignored me the rest of the night on the few times I tried to join the conversation. My gfs sister also told her I was rude afterwards because we had our own conversation in chinese after they started ignoring me. She said I shouldn't speak Chinese at the table when not everyone understands (5 of 6 understand, and it was just me and gf talking anyway because we were being ignored).

I know it's long and I'm sorry, just wanted to make sure to set the full scene. Questions for the board:

Was I an asshole? Did I mansplain? Is friendly debate, discussion or disagreement without personal attacks no longer allowed? Was it simply a misunderstanding because of English as second language for them? Is being uncomfortable really a bad thing? Should I apologize?

TLDR: told that we all have the right to never be uncomfortable. Pretty much became a villain because I think being uncomfortable is ok, depending on the situation of course.

Out of curiosity, how did you see this panning out in a good way for you?

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I meant the conversation but I guess the thread kinda follows from that.

I mean, to start I was just trying to say not to judge people's sexuality, particularly with strangers around. Then I went down the rabbit hole on accident. Started from probably a good place? Lol maybe shouldn't even say anything in response if someone did genuinely insult me or my sexuality, if I didn't know them, like in this case.

Oct 27, 2017
Why make up having a foot fetish and even tell them they made you feel uncomfortable about it? That's really fucked up dude. Don't fake shit in order to "win" an argument or play devil's advocate. You definitely don't come off looking good in your own version of the events.

Oct 25, 2017
this thread or the conversation?

You couldn't have possibly thought this thread was gonna go well, I assume you think the conversation was also going to shit since you seemed to be acutely aware of it.

Unless, the point of the thread was that it would turn into a dog pile on you?

You wanted this.
It makes you feel uncomfortable.

Oh my god it's meta commentary.

You had a shower thought, you were like "is being uncomfortable inherently bad or can i learn from it? But you needed to test your theory so you fired up the old windows 95 and double clicked on netscape and navigated over to AOL and fired up resetera.

You wanted to see if it was okay to feel uncomfortable by making up a story that would get everyone to yeet you into oblivion.

Then and only then would truly be able to understand yourself and your discomfort fetish.

I figured it out.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Hopefully you'll learn that trying to be the wokest guy in the room (especially when you lie in order to do so) can be extremely grating and counter-productive
I was like "Dude, get a clue!!!" while reading this OP smh

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
iirc she was uncomfortable because she thinks her feet are ugly from being a dancer.

I dont think the actor would appreciate being labeled as a victim who had no control in the situation.

EDIT: qt's foot fetish is gross though, and so was this movie for trying to make polanski seem innocent.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
so I've been here "listening" to what everyone said and taking it to heart instead of debating or arguing, and I appreciate the input. I think it's good to learn from mistakes, I've never really been in this kind of situation before usually people in my circle enjoy a bit of healthy debate, and perhaps this wasn't healthy debate. And I'm at fault. Which is totally ok and why I asked. It's good to learn yea? I'd love to respond to everyone but instead I'll reply to two for now.

First:

you are the guy that evaded a permaban and types all kinds of moral ethical dilemma bullshit about that ban, as well as about weird ass shit in the nintendo direct threads. Not sure what your deal is but seem like youve got some problems. Probably shouldn't be commenting on other people.

Also the last thread wasn't a troll, it was a real situation and real story played up for some laughs. Not all jokes hit, but if all jokes are trolls then we gotta ban about half the board. Get over yourself.

now I don't know if you deliberately misread what I said, but the first thing I said that I agreed with them that women shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable, sexually or not. I am totally onboard with that and I explained that, and also that I didn't know what the actress said or what she felt so I couldn't really argue about that. I think the biggest thing was I kept going when I obviously should have stopped, and my gfs sister (mainly) kept insisting that the point wasn't the foot stuff and Tarantino, but being uncomfortable in general. Again I'm ok to be wrong, I'm happy to learn from mistakes, thats what makes us better people, and I won't make that mistake again, but at no point did I even insinuate that it's ok to force women to do something against their will. I'm still ok to be the asshole, I accept that and I'll apologize to her.

Edit: and the people harping on the marvel statement that that would be the part that people turn on me ... again that was a joke, and a hopefully obvious one. It might not have landed, but it's a joke about how defensive marvel fans are around here. Whether you find it funny or not it's ok, just relax a little bit.
Why'd you put listen in quotations?

Looks like you did in fact eat a ban for trolling with the thread as mentioned by the poster you're attempting to revenge discredit so not sure why you're disputing that unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
As an actor you train to go beyond your personal boundries when in character.
If you feel uncomfortable there are plenty of people to take your job. I don't think the people you were with would entertain that thought for long.

Is it possible that your tone had an impact as well? Some accents can be seriously triggering.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
When cishet white people have to start imagining quirks about themselves to argue over and defend passionately because they're so vanilla otherwise. Hopefully learned it's a little weird OP through the thread.

At this point I feel like the conversation has just about run it's course and I'm definitely a villain. Gf has been squeezing my hand and kicking me under the table for the past few minutes trying to get me to stop, but I try one more time
Bizarre as well.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think either side was 100% on the money in their argument, but I'd be siding with you. The actress doesn't like her feet and had to go out of her comfort zone. That's what acting is.

Also, seems like you guys were never gonna get along great if that's what debates turn into, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You didn't do anything outrageous.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should've taken the apology and let the conversation go into another direction

The "now we only speak Chinese" stuff is super awkward though.

Take the L here. Even if you would've been right, you don't force something after an apology. You talked about it enough, there are other possibilities than meetings that should be fun. People should stop talking about politics or whatever anyway in every possible discussion or meeting. It's getting tiresome

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Life's too short to worry about this shit. You should have just back the hell down first opportunity you got

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes it's just better to drop the conversation when you sense that people are entrenched in their position about a topic.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
but wasn't the girl that got her feet filmed also playing a 16 year old that got filmed from behind in tiny shorts bent over looking in the car? And didn't she try to suck brad Pitts dick? Again, I'm not judging her or saying what should or shouldn't make her uncomfortable, but I'd guess most people would feel more uncomfortable filmed from behind while bent over in daisy duke shorts than simply showing their feet."

you don't get to decide what made the person uncomfortable.

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why'd you put listen in quotations?

Looks like you did in fact eat a ban for trolling with the thread as mentioned by the poster you're attempting to revenge discredit so not sure why you're disputing that unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying

because I was reading the thread and taking in responses, not actually listening.

And just cuz I got a ban For trolling doesn't mean I agreed with it. Just because a moderator thinks it was a troll doesn't make it so. I appealed the ban as we are allowed to do per the rules with a reasoned argument and proof that it was real, and got no reply from staff here, as per usual whenever attempting to contact them.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
because I was reading the thread and taking in responses, not actually listening.

And just cuz I got a ban For trolling doesn't mean I agreed with it. Just because a moderator thinks it was a troll doesn't make it so. I appealed the ban as we are allowed to do per the rules with a reasoned argument and proof that it was real, and got no reply from staff here, as per usual whenever attempting to contact them.
Cool, really important to make that distinction, otherwise how else would we know

I get the impression this isn't your first rodeo in terms of conversations that have not gone well

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When cishet white people have to start imagining quirks about themselves to argue over and defend passionately because they're so vanilla otherwise. Hopefully learned it's a little weird OP through the thread.

Bizarre as well.

I mean, if this was my standard operating procedure then I guess you'd have a point, but obviously it's not since it stood out to me as a potential mistake and I brought it up here looking for advice. Judging by your post you think it's better for me not to reflect and try to be better each day , and you also think it's ok to make some gross assumptions about people based on their color or the way they identify. So good for you for being shitty.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, if this was my standard operating procedure then I guess you'd have a point, but obviously it's not since it stood out to me as a potential mistake and I brought it up here looking for advice. Judging by your post you think it's better for me not to reflect and try to be better each day , and you also think it's ok to make some gross assumptions about people based on their color or the way they identify. So good for you for being shitty.
Honestly your entire tone and coming at this from the OP to the replies just reads similar to men that whine about being the good guys and being confused as to why people don't take to them.
Me: "I accept your apology, but I disagree still. I think being uncomfortable is an ok thing.
At this point I feel like the conversation has just about run it's course and I'm definitely a villain. Gf has been squeezing my hand and kicking me under the table for the past few minutes trying to get me to stop, but I try one more time (this is probably where era shits on me)
Bella and Eva pretty much tag team attack now: "no that's not just what matters. Men shouldn't make women uncomfortable. Men having been doing that too long. No one should ever have to feel uncomfortable in any situation..."
Was I an asshole? Did I mansplain? Is friendly debate, discussion or disagreement without personal attacks no longer allowed? Was it simply a misunderstanding because of English as second language for them? Is being uncomfortable really a bad thing? Should I apologize?
TLDR: told that we all have the right to never be uncomfortable. Pretty much became a villain because I think being uncomfortable is ok, depending on the situation of course.
Act like an asshole and then spend the time wallowing because people don't appluad you for realising it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I would have bailed on that conversation, but I agree with your overall sentiment. People love to shame people that are into feet, and it's ridiculous. Like, no one bats an eye at ass eating, but OMG, QT is into feet, what a weirdo.

And if memory serves right, the actress didn't want to show her feet because she thought they were ugly, but QT and Pitt talked her into it. It's...whatever.

When you're not on the internet, most people I've had random conversations about it with "bat an eye" at ass eating too.

edit: basically OP, the devil doesn't need advocates...don't waste your time arguing for shit you don't actually care about. And learn to read the room better.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Me: " I have a foot fetish." (Editors note, I don't, I was being contrarian and kind of trying to get her not to shame people, you know, cuz I'm woke or whatever).

I rolled my eyes hard at "being contrarian" and bailed. Who has the time for that bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.