• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Seems like they could be revising their general marketing strategy - I wouldn't be surprised if there's been an internal "changing of the guards" in terms of marketing leads, so until they decide to launch those plans things are sorta barebones/on autopilot.

(also of course Covid, but a lot of companies are now getting back up to speed)

I don't get the knee-jerk hyperbolic reactions in defense of them here - they are being objectively quiet.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The pandemic excuse never seems to make sense, as other companies are marketing (and releasing) their products just fine.
Not every company has the same capabilities to pivot and react to something as disruptive as having all of their employees shifting from in-office to working from home, even those that compete in the same industry.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
And as said, the pandemic hasn't stopped other devleopers or even Japanese developers from announcing their titles that are ways off from release. The New Game Expo has games not coming until 2021. I find it hard to believe Nintendo was hit harder than every other developer in the world.

Nintendo is company that generally keeps cards much close to their chest and they are very often announcing their games only few months before launch, compared to MS or Sony for instance, and Nintendo few days ago said that because COVID19 their marketing is heat hard so they need to changed,
and having on mind that Switch is keep selling like crazy in any case, its not like they need to announce something right away.

In any case we will have some announcements from Nintendo this or next month,
dont forget, for instance Nintendo is announcing their Directs only around 1-2 days in advance, so we could easily have Direct as soon as this month.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Ninetndo has always been strangely quiet. It's just they had a PR machine in the form on Nintendo Directs that got halted due to pandemic conditions.

Yes, Nintendo is dead.
Would you look at the time

OO2vxtg.gif
nintendoomed bomba failure mario is dead
Yeah, this solidifies my stance that ERA is strangely anti-Nintendo. Even with their push for Paper Mario, some recent solid Switch releases, and the leaked footage of Crysis showing it to be a good port...people are still rather negative when it comes to any Nintendo coverage of any sort.
Seems like they could be revising their general marketing strategy - I wouldn't be surprised if there's been an internal "changing of the guards" in terms of marketing leads, so until they decide to launch those plans things are sorta barebones/on autopilot.

(also of course Covid, but a lot of companies are now getting back up to speed)

I don't get the knee-jerk hyperbolic reactions in defense of them here - they are being objectively quiet.
The opposite experience for me. It's mostly critisism threads directed towards Nintendo in particular, and while some of them are warranted, there are still far too many posts skewed negatively to not give me the impression that a majority of the people here are anti-Nintendo.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Even for Animal Crossing, we had to wait a long time before they finally gave some news and a Direct, 1 month before release.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Given how recently we had the thread about dismissive responses, I'd have thought people might've taken something away from it. Not to blame people for snappy quips given how learned an online response it is in current year, but you really don't have to post in every thread.

Yes we've had a lot of threads about this. No, not everyone spends all their time on era and the search function here isn't as robust as it could be for finding specific threads, especially if you're not using the exact same wording.

I was considering making a thread the other day asking whether or not we'd heard anything new about the 3D Mario Remasters but I decided against it predicting a similar backlash to the one in this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Not every company has the same capabilities to pivot and react to something as disruptive as having all of their employees shifting from in-office to working from home, even those that compete in the same industry.
But if this was a Sony vs Microsoft thing you know damn well no one would be saying this. Some things like delays were expected, but it'd be hard to go through all of Q3 repeating this for Nintendo.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
They seem to be trucking along fine to me.

They just announced a new Paper Mario not too long ago (which comes out in weeks), and they even more recently announced and released the Arms character for Smash Bros.

If I had to guess we're a month or so away from another announcement or direct (probably for the 3D Mario collection).

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this would be about how they've been quiet regarding stuff like BLM and recent Smash community accusations

But yes, they've been quiet. Not a particularly novel take. Kind of very late to that observation in fact

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
This.

Other big publishers are able to adapt faster. Way faster...

Hell, MS and Sony are releasing new consoles with multiple new games on time in a pandemic.

It's just strange to see one of the biggest players in the game to be so ill prepared.
And this is exactly why I also think the community here are so skewed against Nintendo. They have released multiple games, but of course it's not part of their "list wars". They also made several announcements over the course of last week, but nobody give it any hype because it isn't a triple A blockbuster.
Thought this would be about how they've been quiet regarding stuff like BLM and recent Smash community accusations

But yes, they've been quiet. Not a particularly novel take. Kind of very late to that observation in fact
They've been "quiet" even beofre Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition was even released. It's mainly down to the lack of a Nintendo Direct to carry the hype momentum forward. And ERA loves hype.

Dec 22, 2017
Anytime someone dares question Nintendo there's 50 "doomed" posts that don't even bother answering the OP. Never change, Era lol.

I also think it's weird they haven't unveiled more of what they surely has planned for E3. They could be behind schedule and don't want to spook investors. Or maybe they are fine letting PS5 have some breathing room and want to announce stuff closer to the holidays.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninetndo has always been strangely quiet. It's just they had a PR machine in the form on Nintendo Directs that got halted due to pandemic conditions.

Yeah, this solidifies my stance that ERA is strangely anti-Nintendo. Even with their push for Paper Mario, some recent solid Switch releases, and the leaked footage of Crysis showing it to be a good port...people are still rather negative when it comes to any Nintendo coverage of any sort.

The opposite experience for me. It's mostly critisism threads directed towards Nintendo in particular, and while some of them are warranted, there are still far too many posts skewed negatively to not give me the impression that a majority of the people here are anti-Nintendo.
In what world is era anti nintendo lol

Oct 25, 2017
This whole year is weird. Top priority is staying safe. It would be nice if they bumped up their retro release pace by uploading some more emulators and roms to their store/service, but I completely understand new games being drastically slowed down, if not halted at this time.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
But if this was a Sony vs Microsoft thing you know damn well no one would be saying this. Some things like delays were expected, but it'd be hard to go through all of Q3 repeating this for Nintendo.
Why would I care about Sony vs Microsoft for this discussion? I was commenting on the reality that some companies simply don't have the same capabilities to make that pivot as smoothly as others. It's just reality, not team sports.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is exactly why I also think the community here are so skewed against Nintendo. They have released multiple games, but of course it's not part of their "list wars". They also made several announcements over the course of last week, but nobody give it any hype because it isn't a triple A blockbuster.

They've been "quiet" even beofre Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition was even released. It's mainly down to the lack of a Nintendo Direct to carry the hype momentum forward. And ERA loves hype.

This feels more like a "you" problem.

Sony and MS release way more than big AAA exclusives and ERA doesn't give a fuck. Every fucking time...

You seeing this as something skewed against nintendo is telling.

Oct 25, 2017

People criticize the thing they like because they want to see it so better. Anyone that makes this thread likely has a Switch and they're anti Nintendo (the fuck does that even mean) because they want to know what's coming for it?

You have people arguing here that they don't need to do anything. A horrible, nonsense argument that easy to criticize. Doing so doesn't make you anti or pro anything.

As someone else said, when Nintendo is on top, they can afford to be quiet.
On top of what?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I care about Sony vs Microsoft for this discussion? I was commenting on the reality that some companies simply don't have the same capabilities to make that pivot as smoothly as others. It's just reality, not team sports.
Sadly when it comes to camparing other companies with Nintendo, it pretty much is treated as a team sport. That's why we have drive-by posts in almost every Nintendo-related thread.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Who cares anyway, I know that's a triggering statement but we'll get our games, maybe it'll just mean that we get them in 2 month hype cycles instead of the usual 6+ months

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel this is typical Nintendo behavior they front end all their new consoles and than trail off so what and let third party take over as they prepare for the next gen 3-4 down the line. I also think they have decided to just promote games that are 3-4 months out now instead of a year
Out

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

In what way is my post anti Nintendo? I was making fun of OP because I think Nintendo is the one doing the best right now and threads like these always feel weird.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nintendo was hit harder by the pandemic than the other two console makers, so it's understandable that they aren't communicating as much right now.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
In what way is my post anti Nintendo? I was making fun of OP because I think Nintendo is the one doing the best right now and threads like these always feel weird.
Are you implying I am anti-Nintendo because I am sick of people spamming an old GAF meme about them being doomed? If so your persecution complex is strong.
Forgive me if I misstook your posts for actual serious responses. I have trouble detecting sarcasm in replies in this day and age because there are people who genuinely believe statements such as the ones you've been trying to
Wait that post is anti Nintendo lol? Like cmon
Nah, I'm not trying to say your post is anit-Nintendo. I'm just saying ERA as a whole has a tendancy to have an anti-Nintendo skew.
This feels more like a "you" problem.
...And I'm done with this thread.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018
They've also been quiet before the pandemic. I don't recall them doing anything during Game Awards 2019 and they didn't have a January direct either. People were complaining last year that there were no 2nd half 2020 games, and the situation hasn't changed much beyond paper mario.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They are always quiet aside the missing Directs.
Nothing unusual.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Asking for information isn't expecting a "huge media blitz". Saying someone is quiet isn't asking them to scream everything all the time. Stop doing this.

True, I'm just thinking of it in context of E3 and having tons of stuff to talk about and anounce., but given the state of the world and everything being cancelled, lives being lost, impacted, diverted, I'm sure a lot of their plans were flipped on end, maybe their schedules were super tight and delays and closures messed them up so they are just shifting their plans.

They are being quiet, but eeeeeeeeeh I just don't really care. When they have stuff to release I'm sure they will, like with the new Paper Mario. I don't necessarily mind if they are keeping stuff super close to the vest and only talking about it when its really ready to come out soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the only particularly off thing right now is that they didn't do a direct around e3 time. Other than that They're doing about what you could expect during these times. No, they haven't given us trailers of Zelda or stuff that people are super excited for, but they're putting stuff out at a rate that isn't as significantly horrible as people seem to think all things considered. Pokémon directs and the dlc. Smash presentation and min-min. Paper Mario. Clubhouse games. Animal crossing updates. And supposedly a direct soon (but we'll see about that).

Yeah I want to see Metroid prime 4 just as much as the next person. But all things considered, it's fine.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying if Sony was delivering news and Microsoft was as quiet as Nintendo, no one in that thread would be saying what you're saying to defend Microsoft.

Some brands are too big to handwave a flaw with "but transitioning to WFH is hard". Especially when their contemporaries bigger and smaller are adapting fine. it's not unreasonable to hold Nintendo to a similar standard.

This isn't entitlement. This isn't me saying they owe us. I'm saying OP made a completely fair observation.

And all this "they don't need to", "they're on top", "wfh is hard" talk would go completely out the window if they were to announce something tomorrow.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Animal Crossing being such a success and the Switch constantly selling out during the pandemic gives Nintendo some room to breathe without having to push out a ton of info.

It's different for Sony and MS as they are in new console cycle hype mode. If we don't hear about anything by time Sept rolls around leading into the Holiday season then you can start to worry.

Until then just keep up with those AC updates.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I think Nintendo's always been a bit secretive as a company, and the pandemic situation only makes that more pronounced. Even in the best of circumstances, transitioning an entire company to WFH would be difficult, and I think we've heard that Japanese companies have had more trouble because of the culture around faxing/physical media in Japan. So it's not really surprising that they'd want to keep things relatively quiet until they've gotten their development pipeline more stable, even if just to save face and not show any signs of dysfunction.

I think transparency would probably be a better approach, personally, but they've always been conservative.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I have trouble detecting sarcasm in replies in this day and age because there are people who genuinely believe statements such as the ones you've been trying to mock.

...And I'm done with this thread.
Are you just gonna ignore all the other people that pointed out the flaws with your thesis?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Every other japanese developer seems to have no issue with the pandemic and is hosting events like the New Game Expo, or like Square announcing games this next month, or developers showing their games at Sony and Microsoft shows. Nintendo's basically the only 1 that's doing nothing.

Uh, dude, plenty of other Japanese devs have had issues with the pandemic? It was a known problem that they are not commonly set up well for WFH in Japan. NG+ also had a lot of stuff from American publishers of Japanese games, not really new stuff from Japanese devs, so that's not much evidence of anything.

I don't usually get involved in gaming side arguments because I feel real weird defending companies, but this just feels like some very misguided assumptions? For one, you're mostly comparing events where most devs/publishers involved are showing a single game amongst others with one where a company that would theoretically be showing a decent number of their first party games too, which means Sony is the only comparison here and several of the first party games in their presentation are not being made in Japan. Not to mention that Sony and Microsoft are releasing new hardware and so currently will mainly be announcing games for just "our console launch at the end of the year" or "2021 and later", while Nintendo would have to announce things that could be coming out sooner and without that hard launch deadline, making their release dates much more likely to be affected. If a game that would theoretically be dropping soon after a Direct was suddenly majorly impacted by the pandemic at the last minute, for example, that wouldn't be great.

So with no need to build up attention/hype/a reason to give them $500-$600 in half a year, currently they've just been dropping things as they're ready to shared individually. It's just the components of a Direct being spread out more. If anything, it's mainly unfortunate that indie games that would get some time during Directs now don't get that spotlight.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if I'm having a moment right now, but the op seems relatively harmless. The problems of the world are understandably obvious to most of us here but does it really warrent the smarmy responses going on? There is an air of "there's a pandemic you idiot" going on. It's not like it's stopping other companies from holding presentations. It isn't completely rediculous to ask this question.

True, but you have the usual people like Kano, Sig, and Stealthfrog in these threads then it's gonna be a continuous thing.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
almost as if japan was in a state of emergency for a month and messed up everything
Oh it completely messed up their marketing calendar for the year, but we have it on record from the investors meeting that their actual lineup for the year hasn't been effected. So we'll get news soon. We just normally get the H2 third party and 75% of the first party lineup at E3 so that's what's feeling off