• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 5, 2018
Here's something that I just thought of when looking at games coming out this year. 2019 looks like it could very well be a strong year for video games in general. Lots of major games like KH3, Devil May Cry 5, Animal Crossing and so on all appear to be shaping up to be huge critical and maybe financial successes when they release. However, there is one genre that I feel isn't getting much attention for having a stacked catalogue of 2019 games and that is strategy games. Not gonna lie there are already lots of promising looking strategy titles both turn based and real time that I think will developed cult followings or maybe become mainstream hits. For those wondering here is the list of strategy games currently slated for 2019 with a concrete date, month or quarter of release:
  • Wargroove: Currently slated for Q1. Also appears to be a proper spiritual successor to Advance Wars with a campaign creator. Hopefully it finally comes out.
  • Fire Emblem 3 Houses: Planned to release in Q2 2019. First Fire Emblem game on a console since Radiant Dawn.
  • Total War: Three Kingdoms: First Total War game set in ancient China and coming relatively soon on March 7, 2019.
  • Phoenix Point: Turn Based Strategy game that headed by Julian Gollop, creator of the original XCOM. Its also suppose to be a spiritual successor to X-COM and is planned to release in June.
  • Anno 1800: City Building RTS set in the dawn of the industrial age (19th Century) that is coming to PC on February 26 (also very soon).
  • Re-Legion: A Cyberpunk RTS where you are a cult leader trying to spread your word and power up your followers to wipe out the heretics against you. This is planned to come out in Q1 this year.
  • Tropico 6: The 6th Tropico game that keeps getting delayed. It will finally come out January 25. Minutes after I updated the release date, Tropico 6 just got delayed yet again to March 29 for PC.
  • Super Robot Wars T: The next installment of the Super Robot Wars franchise coming to Switch and PS4 on March 20, 2019 in Japan.
  • Civ 6: Gathering Storm: The 2nd expansion to Civ 6 where there are now environmental effects and power and consumable resources. Come out on February 14.
Here's a list of strategy games that might come out in 2019 but don't have a Quarter or concrete release date yet:
  • Age of Empires 4: The 4TH AGE OF EMPIRES GAME. Its also being developed by Dawn of War and Company of Heroes devs Relic. Though we haven't heard anything about it since its reveal trailer in 2017. Well, ok. This one is probably 2020 at most, but still a new AOE!
  • Imperator Rome: Paradox Grand Strategy game set in ancient Rome. Never played a Paradox game but I'm excited for this one since I love games set in the Roman Empire.
  • Iron Harvest: An alternate history RTS game set in the 1920's after World War 1. Its boosting a strong single player campaign that has over 20 missions across 3 campaigns.
  • Gears Tactics: A turn based strategy prequel of the Gears of War games that should come out this year, but we haven't seen much of this game since E3 2018.
  • Warcraft III: Reforged: An HD Remaster of one of the greatest RTS' out there. Expected to come out sometime this year.
  • Wasteland 3: The 3rd installment of the Wasteland franchise that is expected to be out by 2019.
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall: A new Age of Wonders game set now in outer space and you are on a mission to expand your intergalactic empire.
  • Thea 2: The Shattering: An early access blend of strategy, RPG and card game genres that's looking for a 1.0 release this year.
Not gonna lie, if most of these games live up to their billing or even surprise people with how good and deep they might be, we might look back at 2019 as one of the greatest years for strategy games ever! Of course, we might get some disappointments in this list of strategy games but still there's a lot of promise with this lineup. We could be getting an Advance Wars successor, a Fire Emblem game, a Total War game set in ancient China, a Roman Paradox game and maybe with a small chance, a new Age of Empires in one year. That's an incredible list of strategy games if all of those and the other games listed all come out in 2019 and if their reception is mostly positive.

If anyone else here has anymore strategy games to post here that I missed out, please go ahead and leave a post please.

Man...thanks for all the updates everyone! Even more reason to be excited for strategy games in 2019.

Last edited:

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Super excited for Wargroove and Fire Emblem: TH. Hopefully we will get a release date this upcoming Nintendo Direct for FE and maybe Wargroove who knows since it was first shown in a Nindies direct.

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
Great thread! I love strategy games and 2019 is really shaping up to be a good year for us strategy lovers.

The ones I'm most looking forward are Wargroove, FE:TH and AoE. But I'm also excited for Phoenix Point.

Also, we're really close to the Tropico 6 release date, if it was getting delayed again we should have known by now imo.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I'm going to play the shit out of Warcraft 3 Reforged, I hope they add a competitive ladder to it like they did SC:R

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I'm reminded that Phoenix Point exists I get excited.

Fire Emblem is my number 1.

OP
OP
ScreamingMadden
May 5, 2018
Great thread! I love strategy games and 2019 is really shaping up to be a good year for us strategy lovers.

The ones I'm most looking forward are Wargroove, FE:TH and AoE. But I'm also excited for Phoenix Point.

Also, we're really close to the Tropico 6 release date, if it was getting delayed again we should have known by now imo.
Whoops, welp I'll move Tropico 6 up to the concrete release date list. Thanks!

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Thanks for including Anno ❤️

And I agree, the next two or so years should be great for strategy games. Very excited for Age 4, WC3 Remastered, Remastered C&C, third Total Warhammer and more BattleTech.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You forgot Super Robot Wars T coming out in march for Switch and PS4 with English language version already confirmed.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all in on Warcraft 3 and Fire Emblem.

Any chance we see a Total War: Warhammer 3 this year? 1 and 2 were only a year apart (2016 and 2017 respectively), but it seems like 3 skipped a year.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Whoops, welp I'll move Tropico 6 up to the concrete release date list. Thanks!
Lol it just got delayed again today. Moved to March 29th for PC
https://blog.kalypsomedia.com/en/open-letter-to-the-tropico-community/

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget the Gathering Storm expansion for Civ 6 that releases in February. Looks like the expansion that could finally elevate the game to the level of Civ V.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget the Gathering Storm expansion for Civ 6 that releases in February. Looks like the expansion that could finally elevate the game to the level of Civ V.

The level of hype for this expansion in the Civ community is at a fever pitch. It's bananas.

It is indeed my own personal most anticipated release of the year.

sddefault.jpg

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Tropico 6 got delayed to March? got damn it

I was looking to upgrade my PC for Total war, looks like March/April will be the Month to do it

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Oh yes. I'm going to have so much fun this year. Could this be the revival year?

Warcraft III Reforged and Anno 1800 are must buys. And I'll probably add many more games to my Steam library.

Also: Firefly studios will announce their new Stronghold game at Gamescom 2019.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget Age of Wonders: Planetfall.

Thea 2 should also exit Early Access this year.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally crossing my fingers for Square Enix to announce surprise ports of FFT PSP and Tactics Ogre PSP.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Yes they're making a comeback. As someone who loved Jagged Alliance 2 who just came back the scene in 2018, I'm excited. Specifically for Phoenix Point, Gears Tactics and Wasteland.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's a ton of good stuff coming down the pipe. Industries of Tiran looks pretty dope too, though I don't know how well I like the look of the combat stuff they've shown off, lol.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Imperator: Rome alone would make it one of the best years ever. That game looks like it has the potential to be THE definitive Paradox grand strategy game.

Imperator-Rome-03.jpg

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
Oh yes. I'm going to have so much fun this year. Could this be the revival year?

Warcraft III Reforged and Anno 1800 are must buys. And I'll probably add many more games to my Steam library.

Also: Firefly studios will announce their new Stronghold game at Gamescom 2019.
No at Gamescom. Firefly is going to show Stronghold next this month.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's definitely a good year, then again so was last year with games like Into the Breach, VC4, Banner Saga 3, Mutant Year Zero, Battletech, Civ 6 Switch, etc.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would be happy with JUST Warcraft 3, Gathering Storm, or Imperator Rome, but I'll be getting all 3 plus others from that list. It's insane.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Battletech was my 2018 GOTY and it'll receive two expansions this year, so fuck yeah I'm excited.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Any time a Blizzard RTS game releases, new or remaster, is an incredible year for strategy games!

Cant wait to dive back in to the poison that was my everyday drug for 8-9 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
OP, while CK2 is during after the fall
Of the Roman Empire. There is an ability to mend the schism and restore the Roman Empire and Hellenic religion