• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 19, 2020
CG trailers should be a thing of the past. If you want to win us as gamers dont be afraid to show us how the game realy looks and if possible how it plays. In-engine animation trailers are okay too for a reveal.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Which ever way you cut it Microsoft's problem is pretty simple... their output. They don't release enough good games, they don't release enough great games. All of the PR decisions in the world don't repair that. It's very hard to be confident in Microsoft's products because their output has been so poor for most of the last decade. Microsoft have everything to prove and CGI trailers prove nothing.

Think about the announcements of Fable and Perfect Dark. We had known these games were coming for years. We then get CGI trailers confiriming their existence and nothing else. More than that neither studio is proven. This isn't equivalent to Naughty Dog announcing their next game, where a new IP or not, with CGI. The Initiative haven't released a game yet. With Playground, their first studio took three games to really nail Forza Horizon despite building off of the foundation of Forza Motorsport. Now they've spawned a new studio and are taking on a completely different and far more competitive genre. It doesn't matter how good a studio you are, swapping genre and hitting the ground running is hard.

All of which goes to say that I'm intrigued by Fable, I'm intrigued by Avowed, I'm intrigued by Perfect Dark.

But I'm not excited for any of them.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Glad others have already nailed the point home, but yeah, we have no one to blame but ourselves. I used to scream about this amid a lot of the embarrassing backlashes on the old site, and it's come to pass. Most devs shovel CG & Concept art down our throats or just remain silent until it's time to start marketing their game for release, and I can't blame them at all.

There's just very little to gain and so much to lose navigating those hyper critical, overly entitled waters with early builds of games

dose

Oct 29, 2017
It's not just you OP, CG trailers are useless. I want to see gameplay, not something a completely different CG studio has knocked out.

Imagine if movie trailers consisted entirely of sequences that weren't in the final film, or they got another studio to render out what it might eventually look like.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hint: It's because all of their announced games don't have enough made to show anything that resembles real gameplay.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Deathloop and Ghostwire were first displayed with CG trailers at the Bethesda E3 conference last year. Spidey was demoed with cutscene footage. Oddworld's first footage was a cutscene back in 2017.

Sony first party has gotten better with gameplay footage, but that's only for titles for close release. People seem forget that many threads anticipating/begging for the 'first gameplay' of Last of Us 2, Tsushima, and FF7 to be shown at multiple E3s.

Now there's a good argument that Microsoft and others should go for in-engine cinematically rather than CG. At least that way it would be closer to the final product. However there's nothing wrong with a CG intro if it doesn't interrupt the creation process, sets the tone/world accurately, and doesn't fake itself as gameplay (ala Killzone 2).

The main issue regarding Sony vs MS is that Sony has nothing to prove, as the awards yesterday showed, so it's funny when people bring Sony as an excuse when talking about the MS trailers...

"But Sony did it!" Well, yeah, maybe because they can

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Making fake gameplay videos for mechanics that will undoubtedly change actually impacts the game as a whole, as people would have to be pulled off from the game to work on creating fake gameplay videos. Sadly, fake gameplay videos is what a lot of companies still resolve to do, and quite a few times these are used to actually pitch the game to publishers / potential investors.

Cinematic teasers are often used to set the tone of the setting / narrative, and do not have to rely on the people creating the actual games.

EDIT: I have some strong reservations about some of the "gameplay reveals" that tend to happen, but mentioning names would be distasteful.

Anthem E3 2017 comes to mind.

On CG trailers in general, I think they play well to the general gamer audience. It's not surprising that people here are complaining because that's essentially what 90% of enthusiast forums are for.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If you're going to make a flippant comment like that, at least be correct.

God of War 2018 was revealed with a big gameplay demo. Days Gone was revealed with a gameplay demo (in the same E3 conference). Horizon Zero Dawn was revealed with a huge gameplay demo.

And games like Spider-Man were introduced with a meaty trailer that was much more than the basic CG trailers of games like Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, etc.
They mentioned GoT and didn't mention HZD or Spidey. Simply put, they weren't remembering correctly.

Last edited:

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
For them, it's a way of saying they will have "something" coming at some point no matter how early in development it is.
For me, it's nothing. A CG trailer usually has the same effect as a press release on a webpage, except if it's part of a saga in which I'm hugely invested in the plot, and the trailer gives away clues of where it leads.

But yeah, generally no effect whatsoever from a CGI trailer. I appreciate when they are well done though.

Dec 20, 2017
I don't understand calling out microsoft for this, but does it really matter? They're just ads that don't eat up development time.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day when the gameplay trailers finally come we won't have threads going "Oh gosh, there was too many gameplay on the event yesterday, I wish they wouldn't show what the game is really about!", and all the mental gymnastics going on here will be forgotten.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This only became a thing when Sony did a few really cool gameplay demo reveals for their games. Now it seems every single other dev is EXPECTED to do this when it's hard af to do and eats into dev resources and isn't always right for the game or the venue in which it is being revealed - be it because of how it is being developed or what type of game it is. And, BECAUSE it was Sony who did it a few times, it has become fanboy ammo to wave around as if it is always the right and superior way to handle game reveals.

It sucks tbh. Gaming culture is really trying for my 38-year-old self at times.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
that is exactly why im only genuinely excited about playstation events and nintendo directs anymore, evven thou i really like the ips that the xbox has, but no gameplay means no shits given by me.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Is the problem CG trailers in general or is it bad CG trailers...

Callisto Protocol was announced with a CG trailer, but that seems to have done its job of getting people excited.

The reason the Perfect Dark trailer fell flat for me was less to do with it being CG and more due to me feeling it was just a bad trailer in the first place.

Last edited:

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Yes, CG does absolutely nothing for me. I'm not waiting to play an animated movie, but a game, so just show gameplay trailers. Not enough material to show the game? Then don't announce it.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This only became a thing when Sony did a few really cool gameplay demo reveals for their games. Now it seems every single other dev is EXPECTED to do this when it's hard af to do and eats into dev resources and isn't always right for the game or the venue in which it is being revealed - be it because of how it is being developed or what type of game it is. And, BECAUSE it was Sony who did it a few times, it has become fanboy ammo to wave around as if it is always the right and superior way to handle game reveals.

It sucks tbh. Gaming culture is really trying for my 38-year-old self at times.

Oh, it's been trying for a while for me.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I thought the way how Horizon zero dawn was debuted a few years back was perfect. Showing a trailer of the overall direction and concept of the game, and then show a few minutes of gameplay demonstration afterwards.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Microsoft have been a big culprit of this throughout the whole year. I don't give a shit about CGI trailers in 2020, when the graphics have come as far as they have. Like it's fine to use them as commercials right as the game launches but seriously for an announcement trailer? Just like EA and Bethesda, just hold off until you have something more concrete to show.

Even in-engine trailers like that's not the game I'll be playing in the end either. It's not the PS3 days anymore. I'll be disappointing if Horizon Forbidden West doesn't look as good as it's reveal trailer.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think most CG trailers are just badly done. They're just graphics showcases, but we already get plenty of interactive graphics showcases these days so they don't impress like they did in the 90's. The trailer needs to tell an interesting story, but most do not.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
There are many reasons a company might want to announce a video game, not all of which have to do with getting people excited to buy it.

For example, these early reveals often have to do with getting on the radar of potentially interested developers who would like to go work on said game.

It's fine not to like them, but games don't come out of thin air and therefore not every developer can stay in the shadows until 6 months before their game comes out.

Jun 20, 2018
Eh, a trailer has always been a marketing thing to get people hyped up, whether it's games or movies. I never expect to be able to judge a game's or movie's quality from a trailer as the sole reason they exist is to make a thing look good. You'll get plenty of proper footage closer to release, which you can base a decision to purchase on. You don't really need to make that decision on games that are two years away and get announced with CG trailers.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm fine with what The Initiative showed, they have been working on this for a relatively short while only, now if during 2021 we get another trailer and it's all CGI, then yeah that'd suck.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's either CG trailers or nothing at all. Nothing at all leads to Elder Ring shit where people constantly whine about the game not showing up and then rumors spread about it potentially being canceled. I'd much prefer CG trailers to that. Stop expecting gameplay from games that are several years out.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it. If anything, I wish companies were more transparent about the projects they are working on.

In other words, just tell me if Silent Hill is real or not already.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft also puts out these trailers to attract talent in the industry. Having worked on 'Fable' or 'Perfect Dark' works wonders for your CV. And it adds prestige to your studio.

Sure, they could reveal the game with a card. (Avowed and Fable were just that with some added tone pieces tbh) But not sure that would be very inspiring. How did we like the The Elder Scrolls 6 announcement?

People did get hyped for this:

Nothing more than a logo reveal.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I hate CG trailers as a format for video game promotion, but they're also necessary for setting/mood pieces for when a title is revealed and/or early in development. So long as they're not being used on the tail-end of a game's leadup to release (or being passed off as gameplay, as some companies historically have), I can live with them.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
A lot of what is being glossed over here or completely ignored is that many of these new projects are less than 2 years old. We saw what happened when MS and 343i put out a gameplay trailer too soon. Ms is locked in the castle working with people outside ready to scorch them and fork them on Social Media at any misstep. Putting out a CG reveal trailer is a good way to let people know what's coming in a few more years, especially if your gameplay and graphics aren't ready for mainstream. I'd much rather do that than have Craig the Brute be your mascot for the next 6 months.

I have loved CG trailers since I was a kid though and work at a CG advert studio so I am a little biased.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Always hated it. Only really like it for Smash but those are always immediately followed up by gameplay video plus you already know what the game looks like.

Yet funny enough, Smash Ultimate's own reveal was CG only.

Personally I don't mind CG trailers, TLoU2 for example was also revealed with zero gameplay. Games take time and CG helps show a vision while the game is still in a state of development where you don't have enough to show gameplay.

Anyone who's participated in really early alphas can tell that unless devs spend time and effort really making one part of the game sparkly for the sake of a trailer, most of the time what they got isn't reflective of what they are working towards, so I can understand not showing gameplay until later.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reason why it's especially noticeable with Microsoft right now is that I know what a Sony first party title looks like on their new machine for months now, whereas Microsoft I still don't feel like I have that same tangibility yet.

Halo's initial footage got redacted. I can't remember if the Fable was gameplay. Senua's Saga is in-engine but that was over a year ago at this point. Are their any first party games on track to launch before Halo?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm fine with it as long as it's just to initially and formally announce the game. After that though the next trailer should be at least some substantial gameplay. The issue I have though is some trailers making it look like it's actual gameplay when it's not.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It felt more common with MS. Most others USUALLY use in game assets.

I also pointed it out because these first party studios have been working for years getting ready for series X and then all they present is something without gameplay or even a tease of how it will play. Just wondering where or in what state all of these games are and with the advent of Twitter and instant news, CG trailers make even less sense as they're totally devoid of information.
It really feels like we're not getting these Xbox games for the new generation for years. They waited too long to buy up those studios.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I in general tune out once I realize it's a CGI trailer. They hardly ever are representative of the actual game. But I guess they're used as much nowadays again, because of the pandemic and lack of actual new and polished gameplay to share.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cgi trailers makes sense. Gameplay trailers usually are made in house and take alot of work. Work that is extra hard in these times. Cgi trailers are alot of times outsourced and the team itself can focus on working on the game.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's a discussion because in the OP it literally states that this is a problem that MS has. I'm stating that it is an industry wide problem, while many people were arguing that Sony doesn't do this, when in fact they do. I mean if you want me to name other perpetrators sure. BioWare, Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Bethesda. Everyone does it save for maybe Nintendo (except for bullshit like MP4 and Bayonetta 3 -_- )

It comes off as console wars because people like to defend their favorite company and pretend said company is above industry bullshit.
No, what you're doing is equating 'CG trailer' with 'in-engine trailer', which is completely disingenuous. It's whataboutism but not even accurate whataboutism. OP is clearly criticising the former, not the latter.

Oct 26, 2017
They always make me feel like the game is a long ways off. It is the publisher telling investors more than us " look we are doing the thing that makes money". I'd be surprised if the new mass effect and Perfect Dark even make 2022.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer CG trailers to gameplay trailers.

I just want to be sold on the mood, and CG trailers do that much better than gameplay trailers. I also want to avoid spoilers, so I tend to avoid gameplay trailers. I tend to tune out during gameplay demos at stuff like E3.

I don't mind the concept of CG trailers, and understand the practical reasons they are used. It's just that the poorly managed and rickety AAA industry has come to rely on them to build hype when the final product will not even resemble the experience alluded to by the CG concept reel.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously CG is not preferable. But I'll cut them some covidslack.

"Revealing" a game you're not ready to show is pretty weird though.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Which ever way you cut it Microsoft's problem is pretty simple... their output. They don't release enough good games, they don't release enough great games. All of the PR decisions in the world don't repair that. It's very hard to be confident in Microsoft's products because their output has been so poor for most of the last decade. Microsoft have everything to prove and CGI trailers prove nothing.

Think about the announcements of Fable and Perfect Dark. We had known these games were coming for years. We then get CGI trailers confiriming their existence and nothing else. More than that neither studio is proven. This isn't equivalent to Naughty Dog announcing their next game, where a new IP or not, with CGI. The Initiative haven't released a game yet. With Playground, their first studio took three games to really nail Forza Horizon despite building off of the foundation of Forza Motorsport. Now they've spawned a new studio and are taking on a completely different and far more competitive genre. It doesn't matter how good a studio you are, swapping genre and hitting the ground running is hard.

All of which goes to say that I'm intrigued by Fable, I'm intrigued by Avowed, I'm intrigued by Perfect Dark.

But I'm not excited for any of them.
I don't disagree with everything you said, but let's take it easy with the hyperboles...

Maybe they're not there yet (especially if you're looking for a specific kind of game), but it's a stretch to say MS has "everything to prove" and that their output has been "so poor" lately, come on.
Also Fable's reveal was bare bone (to say the least), but Perfect Dark's was a bit more than just "it exists" imo.
It didn't take three games for PG to nail Forza Horizon (wth), their first title was already a massive hit. It just got better and better over time.
The Initiative is a brand new studio, but it's not a bunch of nobodies (quite the opposite), and no one can seriously admit we were certain Perfect Dark was coming "for years" (as opposed to PG's Fable).
PG's second team is also a different story; it's a new team, not a new studio, i.e. same top management, they're not starting everything from scratch so while they'll clearly face a new challenge in a competitive genre, it's unfair to say they their previous merits/track record is totally irrelevant.

And finally I'm not sure how Avowed can be intriguing-but-not-exciting to you, unless you don't care about Obsidian (not a new studio, not a new team)?
But then it has nothing to do with MS and their strategy or output.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
CG Trailers should die out, especially in the form they are being presented. It's mostly something about a game, that may or may not be even in the game itself, but as long as they work, and get people hyped, they are gonna continue to produce them.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Microsoft also puts out these trailers to attract talent in the industry. Having worked on 'Fable' or 'Perfect Dark' works wonders for your CV. And it adds prestige to your studio.

Sure, they could reveal the game with a card. (Avowed and Fable were just that with some added tone pieces tbh) But not sure that would be very inspiring. How did we like the The Elder Scrolls 6 announcement?

People did get hyped for this:

Nothing more than a logo reveal.

Well, why wouldn't they? We know what Smash Brothers is and what it plays like. CG is smoke and mirrors.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll.

Microsoft have announced so many exclusives with CGI trailers or non-gameplay trailers over the past year or two. Avowed. Fable. Everwild. Hellblade II. Forza Motorsport. Starfield. Elder Scrolls VI. Perfect Dark.

It's crazy to think that we're going to be seeing in-game footage of all of these games sooner rather than later.

E3 2021 is gonna be INSANE for Microsoft. Even if they show gameplay/in-engine footage of 25% of these games.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree with everything you said, but let's take it easy with the hyperboles...

Maybe they're not there yet (especially if you're looking for a specific kind of game), but it's a stretch to say MS has "everything to prove" and that their output has been "so poor" lately, come on.

I owned an Xbox 360 since Gears of War, an Xbox One since Halo 5, and an Xbox Series X since launch and that is how I feel. I think their exclusive output has been extremely underwhelming for a console manufacturer since ~2011, basically ever since the full extent of their shift towards Kinect and casual gaming became evident. Obviously a lot of this depends on how you define good or great, but for me Microsoft this generation has published a smattering of good games and, very ocassionally, a great one. Not a single time this generation has a Microsoft game been my favourite game of the year or even close and while that is just me, they've not been in the conversation for Game of the Year for so, so long. While they've produced a lot of games that are more service driven, which perhaps are less likely to pick up awards, I don't think any of them are really amongst the standout GaaS of this generation either.

I do think Microsoft are improving and I expect I'll look back at Microsoft's output this generation far more fondly than Microsoft's output last generation, and I do think there's a lot of other things they're doing well which is why I bought an Xbox Series X despite my feelings on their first party output.

ed: Honestly, I responded to the rest of your post below but I think this is just getting into the weeds. My overall point was that I think Microsoft's trailer game isn't really the problem. If their output improves confidence in their upcoming games will go through the roof, which makes all the difference because suddenly people will be excited for the next game from X studio or in Y franchise. Right now that's harder to achieve because people extrapolate from the recent past.

Also Fable's reveal was bare bone (to say the least), but Perfect Dark's was a bit more than just "it exists" imo.

... perhaps I missed something? What should I have picked up from the trailer about the game that I didn't? I suppose it gave some idea of the setting, but the narration felt like noise to me. It wouldn't remotely surprise me if that ends up being one of those trailers that is only tangentially related to the gameplay we ultimately see.

It didn't take three games for PG to nail Forza Horizon (wth), their first title was already a massive hit. It just got better and better over time.

I guess it depends on what you mean by nailed but I really don't think they 'nailed' the first game. It was a decent open world racer at a time where there were loads of open world racers some of which were quite a bit better (Burnout Paradise most of all). I didn't play 2 but I don't remember people talking it up that much. 3 and 4 were the ones where it suddenly became a massive success both in terms of critical acclaim and popularity imo. They're not quite my thing where racing games are concerned, but I've enjoyed both of them via Game Pass.

The Initiative is a brand new studio, but it's not a bunch of nobodies (quite the opposite), and no one can seriously admit we were certain Perfect Dark was coming "for years" (as opposed to PG's Fable).

I was at least 95% sure. Most of all because rebooting Perfect Dark with a new studio fits Microsoft's modus operandi to a tee.

PG's second team is also a different story; it's a new team, not a new studio, i.e. same top management, they're not starting everything from scratch so while they'll clearly face a new challenge in a competitive genre, it's unfair to say they their previous merits/track record is totally irrelevant.

I'm not saying their merits and previous record is irrelevant, but I feel about it the same way I would if Naughty Dog had just announced a racing simulator with a CGI trailer. I'm intrigued, there's obviously a lot of talent and therefore a lot of potential, but it's hard to be confident in it.

And finally I'm not sure how Avowed can be intriguing-but-not-exciting to you, unless you don't care about Obsidian (not a new studio, not a new team)? But then it has nothing to do with MS and their strategy or output.

I shouldn't have added Avowed to that list to be fair, the situation with Avowed is not equivalent to Perfect Dark and Fable. Even so, I just generally find it quite hard to be excited about something I essentially know nothing about. There are a handful of developers I feel that way about, they just aren't one.

Last edited: