• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No it's not just you; many of us have had this same sentiment for the better part of the past 10 years for all game publishers and developers.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Generally I'm with you but that Mass Effect trailer was hype as fuck as that did something CG trailers rarely do: give you something to chew on. Also I think just generally sequels can get away with CG trailers more than new IPs. CG trailer tells me nothing about your new IP. A CG trailer for a sequel? I at least already have an idea of what to expect.
I agree with this viewpoint. If it's not a sequel or a revival, keep it away.

Or at the very least, try to do something that kind of presents things similarly to the gameplay.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If it's easier for them to make a CG reveal to announce a game, especially during Coivd, then whatever. Gameplay years out from launch is just a useless vertical slice. Announce a game is in production then show the actual game as you get closer to launch.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Don't show anything? Though obviously it's not just up to the developer in a case like this. But anyone should have been able to take that hint.

Im sure there's more than enough data to show that more people prefer CG reveals to nothing at all. Especially when you can glean info from CG trailers about the game and the direction it's going.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
CG Trailers are perfectly fine for Teaser and Announcement Trailers. They've tended to move to Gameplay once they actually have stuff to show, but like they have to announce a title years before hand and you dont want that early version to be the first impression people see.

So CG is perfectly fine to start with

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure there's more than enough data to show that more people prefer CG reveals to nothing at all. Especially when you can glean info from CG trailers about the game and the direction it's going.

I mean, I don't have a problem with CGI trailers (dependent on a few other factors at least). My first post in this thread is hoping Blizzard never stops producing them lol.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I like the way Capcom did with RE2R ,RE3R and DMCV
Announced that the game is being made.
First reveal with a combination of narrative and gameplay segments.
Launch it in the next 6 months or so.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure their in-progress rough unoptimised 12 fps gameplay trailer monstrosities will resonate well with gamers
The "announce the game six months to a year before its currently scheduled release date" seems to work fine for Bethesda and Capcom; more companies should do that, then they won't have to show 12fps in-game footage.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An all-cgi trailer is rough, and there was too many at this award show. Cut together a mix of gameplay and cinematics or don't bother.

Oct 26, 2017
It's worst when they're presented as animated shorts and just never get to the fucking point. This was Ark II for me during the VGAs.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1.) no its not just you, if you have to ask if its just you, the answer will be no 100 percent of the time

2.) i dislike them...and it makes it hard for me to feel excited about microsofts games when all they have to show are cg, or in engine trailers that set a visual bar that the final product cant reach on target hardware

3.) they exist because its a way for companies to
Announce a game without having to take the time to cut gameplay footage for it or develop a time consuming verticle slice

4.) they are a necessary evil

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Yup I hate them. I said it during the awards, but I especially hate the ones in which it does not even show what any gameplay or anything will be like. The perfect dark one, the mass effect one. Useless. Especially in mass effects case, if the game was already announced. We knew a new one was coming, so the trailer was pointless IMO

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This place is sometimes strange. Not long ago, there were calls for Microsoft to show people what they were working on, to set the tone about what they were going to put out even if some of those games were going to be some ways off. They did just that.

I am not the greatest fan of CG stuff, and it would be great for them to go back to what they used to do with Gears or Forza.......show up to E3 and play the game in front of people. That said, this approach also works just fine. We know what a good number of their studios are working on and they can pretty much now show games in ac
I just skip through trailers looking for gameplay. If it's not there, I close the video. CG trailers are a waste of time.
Some just put up a logo and people get hyped. Weird world we live in.

Personally, I wanted Perfect Dark, and we are getting one. I wanted to see a James Bond game, and we are getting one; neither has any gameplay to show and that is just fine. I am a fan of God of War and all we got was a freaking logo, and it does not make me less excited for the title.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I honestly can't give a shit about a game's story or atmosphere unless I know how it plays. Games are not movies but these CG trailers are trying to sell me a movie.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
CG trailers have literately mean nothing. And yeah Microsoft has a bad habit of showing cg trailers and not even having a real game behind them smh.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Devs: show cg for upcoming game
Gamers: cg sucks we want gameplay

Devs: show alpha gameplay for not ready game
Gamers: this game is rough. They should have waited till its ready

Devs: show in engine gameplay running on pc at max settings
Gamers: this is bullshot. Waiting for the downgrade

Devs: dont show anything
Gamers: wth are they doing? Its probably in development hell. We need Jason on this.

Pretty much. This tired topic gets trotted out so much. People generally like CG trailers and they work to build hype and anticipation, and revealing gameplay early provides little payoff.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are not remembering correctly.

If you're going to make a flippant comment like that, at least be correct.

God of War 2018 was revealed with a big gameplay demo. Days Gone was revealed with a gameplay demo (in the same E3 conference). Horizon Zero Dawn was revealed with a huge gameplay demo.

And games like Spider-Man were introduced with a meaty trailer that was much more than the basic CG trailers of games like Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, etc.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's fine for an announcement like Perfect Dark where it's clearly early and they are announcing the project they are working on. If we get another one as the next piece of info is when it's annoying

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care... a well made gameplay trailer of cgi trailer gets me hyped either way.. and that PD trailer was amazing...and let's not forget covid is a thing right now.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

God of War 2018 was revealed with a big gameplay demo. Days Gone was revealed with a gameplay demo (in the same E3 conference). Horizon Zero Dawn was revealed with a huge gameplay demo.

And games like Spider-Man were introduced with a meaty trailer that was much more than the basic CG trailers of games like Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, etc.
Why are people behaving like Microsoft has not done this before?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
CG trailers are as good as a title for me.

I can't play CG, it doesn't exist. Show me a game.

I don't think MS is really the standars bearer for this though.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

God of War Ragnarok was announced with a logo and gamers praised Sony for it. These are obvious double standards. I'm fine with CGI trailers early in development like with the case of Perfect Dark. It let's us know what games to keep an eye on in the future.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Gamers: wth are they doing? Its probably in development hell. We need Jason on this.

And that's the way it is.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This sums ERA up perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017
God of War Ragnarok was announced with a logo and gamers praised Sony for it. These are obvious double standards. I'm fine with CGI trailers early in development like with the case of Perfect Dark. It let's us know what games to keep an eye on in the future.

God of War announced a 2021 release date, you need to have something. I think a CG teaser used to announced a game existence is fine ideally it would show you something about what the game will be like Avowed's trailer did. The problem with Xbox's summer show is they had a lot of CG trailers that showed games we knew were coming and Perfect Dark fits into that category. It's not their fault their games like Fable and Perfect Dark have been known secrets for awhile but seeing CG and a logo without a release date when we all know that's what they were working on isn't that exciting.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's an obvious solution here: Don't show the game until it's ready.

Oct 27, 2017

You are conveniently leaving out all the CG reveals for Sony and the gameplay reveals for MS. Nice job. Seems like you aren't correct

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. CG is aspirational at best, and straight up marketing lies at worst. I have zero time for it.
As far as I'm concerned CG trailers can't die fast enough. If you aren't willing/can't show me the actual game itself just stay quiet and wait until the time is right.

+1 here too.

it's gotten to the point where I will literally fast forward a trailer with CG unless it's some sort of direct sequel well I'm waiting for, e.g, final fantasy 7 remake.

I feel like we need real life version of HBO's Entourage star Ari Gold to explain to these folks HOW to make an effective trailer that will actually build hype

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox sucks, they've got nothing in the pipeline!

*shows CG trailers*

CG trailers suck! I'd rather they didn't announce anything until it's ready!

*announces nothing until it's ready*

Xbox sucks, they've got nothing in the pipeline!

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A GC Trailer ist fine, as long as I also see some Gameplay (and not that Ubisoft kinda Gameplay, real one)

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I'd honestly rather just a logo reveal or something tbh. A CG trailer literally tells you nothing, just that the game is years off. I'm much preferring what Nintendo seem to be doing more of, with revealing games like a month or two before release.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Cause gamers get real upset when a game doesn't look finished when it's not finished and making a game look finished before it isn't finished is incredibly difficult and can also screw with the development pace.

And it's nice having an outside studio work on a cool trailer, helps solidify a vision for the team and investors.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The alternative is showing gameplay that's unpolished which I know people on this forum would take great pleasure in ripping into as if it's the finished product.

Or, they can put together a vertical slice, which will inevitably have changes in the final game, to which the internet, Era most definitely included, would rip into and cry downgrade, lies and deception.

Putting together actually good looking game demo's when said game is nowhere near finished or the team is currently crazy busy trying to hit milestones is difficult, especially during a pandemic.

It's just not always viable, especially if a team wants their gameplay reveal to be high quality and representative of what they hope to ship. Get over it.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Oh yeahhh definitely, should've just put up a splash screen of the title instead. You all go crazy for them.

Hydron

Dec 7, 2018
It's kind of a standard marketing practice to save gameplay until closer to release so that the excitement does't peak too early. As others have said gameplay is probably not finalized too. Granted CG trailers say little more than "we are making this thing", but sometimes that's all there is to say anyway.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
It's funny, just step outside of this thread into any one of the other threads for the individual games themselves and it's the exact opposite sentiment as this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
You get two options when it comes to this

- No Reveals
- CG Reveals

Like CG isn't the best, but it's better than nothing since some of these reveals if we are waiting on gameplay would be quite awhile later and then we'd be complaining we aren't seeing enough games. Just kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't.
3rd option hand drawn stick figure trailer

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Don't mind them for tone and theme setting purposes but the hyperbolic "this looks absolutely amazing!" comments they always get are pretty stupid because the actual game you'll eventually be playing won't look like that.

Haven't read the Perfect Dark thread but I'd like to assume most of the excitement is seeing the franchise come back over the CGI trailer "looking absolutely amazing omg seriously" though.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
The entire show was CG trailers. Why are we trying to make this a MS thing?
This. This isn't just a MS problem, but a huge MS game was announced via CG so let's remind everyone how much CG is shit.

I got confirmation that this Initiative is bringing back Joana. I dont care if the shit was revealed via smoke signals. I'm hyped.

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
A) this is an industry wide thing singling out one company is douchey

B) it's almost like you have no idea of the money time and investment that goes into creating a game, and the lengths companies go through to recoup that investment...

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of developers need to master the CG/gameplay trailer mix well that fighting games do. For example, Smash Bros tonight did it amazingly well. They gave CG, gave gameplay, trailer wasn't even long but it did it's job. Same way whenever a Tekken trailer drops, MK, SF, everyone does it well so yeah, they need to get on board with it.

These CG trailers are cool teasers but that ain't enough for most people these days.