• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the commercial for Good Lord Bird and thought "oh this could be good." And then it ended with the Showtime logo and I thought "why bother?"

Every Showtime show I've watched or heard about took a nose dive in quality only a couple season in. Weeds, Dexter, and Shameless all come to mind. So why bother getting invested in a show that will most likely suck around season 3 or 4.

Is it just me or do Showtime shows suck? What say you Era?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not -

Patrick Melrose (best show of 2018)
On Becoming a God in Central Florida
Homeland (a rock solid spy thriller outside of seasons 2 and 3, which were messy)
Masters of Sex
Penny Dreadful (2 1/2 seasons of it anyway)
Kidding
SMILF
United States of Tara
Web Therapy
Escape at Dannemora
The Borgias

Also, The Good Lord Bird is reviewing well.

Last edited:

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
That jim carrey show was pretty good. The title was forgettable, apparently.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to enjoy them. Shameless got weaker but I still mostly enjoy it. Weeds got real bad l, I'll give you that. Last season was good but several of them sucked. I ditched Dexter after season 3 cause I was bored. Things like House of Lies or Episodes I enjoyed for the entire thing or even more as time went on

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot I'm currently watching Kidding which I'm enjoying as well

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who Is America was fun, and I've always WANTED to watch The Circus. Twin Peaks is the GOAT but basically doesn't count lol.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Party Down is a GOAT comedy, but it's also ancient at this point.

It's also only two seasons, so curse avoided.

Edit: welp nevermind

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say Black Sails, Spartacus and Season 1 of American Gods were good then I realized those are all starz and I've never seen a showtime show

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I'm gonna be honest, I haven't heard of any of the shows you all mentioned, except for Twin Peaks. But I thought that was an network show in the 90s.

I guess my point is Showtime shows don't hold quality. So your saying all of these held up?

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked that first episode of the Comey mini-series (I haven't seen the second episode yet).

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Billions is really good. And the only reason the very last season kind of sucks is because COVID happened right in the middle of the season and they had to wrap it.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Twin Peaks: the Return is among the most audacious seasons of tv ever made, and is my personal favourite piece of media ever. I'm not sure how the rest of their shows are outside of Desus and Mero, which I love, but they deserve props alone for letting David Lynch go wild.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the inspiration for this thread is seeing a commercial for a show that is getting great reviews and called one of Hawkes best and concluding, why bother? Ok then.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
This is literally my point though. Why get invested in a Showtime show when it's just going to end up sucking.
It wasn't so much that season 3 was terrible, it just had a rushed ending since one of the actors decided to quit. The same thing happened to the BBC version of Being Human. First three seasons, great. Season four and beyond? A mess.

You just have to treat the season finale as a series finale. It still is very much worth watching, just stop early knowing that going ALL the way to the "end" isn't worth your time.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Sex and the City
Entourage
True Blood
Game of Thrones
Veep
Silicon Valley
True Detective

Why get invested in an HBO show when it's just going to end up sucking

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I have Showtime for Desus & Mero and it's worth it to me for them. There's also the chance/hope of another season of Twin Peaks.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I'm gonna be honest, I haven't heard of any of the shows you all mentioned, except for Twin Peaks. But I thought that was an network show in the 90s.

I guess my point is Showtime shows don't hold quality. So your saying all of these held up?
I mean, it sounds like you haven't watched many of their shows at all. You could pluck out three shows from any network and make this same argument.

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Sex and the City
Entourage
True Blood
Game of Thrones
Veep
Silicon Valley
True Detective

I guess I'm way more selective on what I watched. I never watched those shows because I could tell they'd stink. But the HBO shows I have watched are excellent. Every Showtime show I've watched has not. Of course it's all anecdotal.

I mean, it sounds like you haven't watched many of their shows at all. You could pluck out three shows from any network and make this same argument.

This is true.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for ShiteTime shows such as Dexter - lame "prestige TV" which is just network programming with cussing and nudity.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
So the inspiration for this thread is seeing a commercial for a show that is getting great reviews and called one of Hawkes best and concluding, why bother? Ok then.

HBO's "It's not TV, it's HBO" marketing scheme was genius - they managed to convince people that even when a show on another network is critically acclaimed, they would still be better off watching HBO instead.

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
HBO's "It's not TV, it's HBO" marketing scheme was genius - they managed to convince people that even when a show on another network is critically acclaimed, they should still be watching HBO instead.

Well there was a time (especially when that slogan was made) when HBO had hit after hit.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Sex and the City
Entourage
True Blood
Game of Thrones
Veep
Silicon Valley
True Detective

That's not really a good argument, though. When HBO does nail it they nail it hard. Showtime just goes, "Yeah, you did OK, here's a little applause" type thing. I have yet to see anything from Showtime that is lauded by the masses, enjoyed by critics, and generally entered the cultural zeitgeist. Like, Showtime cannot even convince me or others to sit down and watch their shows. I don't even feel any movement from any kind of formed mass to entice me to watch their shows either.

KyleP29

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say they suck. Some amazing shows listed by others in this thread.

However, I would agree that Showtime does often run their shows well past their end date. But that doesn't make the shows bad or even mean they don't deliver a spectacular season.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Showtime definitely has a hit-or-miss reputation. It's basically CBS trying to have more than primetime basic cable supremacy, they want a piece of the prestige television pie. But they'll never put as much effort into it as HBO does, for reasons that remain obvious, and it shows.