• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Right now it's cutting edge tech. Expensive, unproven. Often underperforming technically, occasionally unfun.

Plus, it's inherently not super accessible. It requires a lot more space than other ways to game, and it'll always make some people sick. Hell, my older sister can't see depth, so stereoscopic 3D in all its forms will never be an option for her.

At the moment it's kind of a niche thing, you could say.
There's some misconceptions here.

VR inherently requires no space. It's only when you get into motion controls where space is needed, and everyone has space to at least sit down or stand in one place, so that leaves the 1% of the library that focuses on room-scale.

VR isn't going to 'always' make some people sick. The only reason some people get sick regardless of what they do in VR is because of latency perecption. Everyone has their threshold; once the latency gets to around 7ms, no one will be getting sick anymore if content is designed to ensure this, because there won't be any sensory conflict going on.

Your sister can use VR just fine. VR works for stereoblind people and has even been known to literally cure (permanently) such conditions.

It's niche, expensive, and not at a level to where everyone will be playing every game with it. People still see it as a gimmick in general. I wear glasses, so I already know vr will never be for me. Even then, I don't ever want to have to wear those things for hours when playing.
You can use glasses with VR, and if somehow you oppose this idea, VR headsets will let you replace glasses in the near future with varifocal displays. So to say "never" is a bit of a hyperbole.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People were doing the same thing when 3D was popping up on consoles. It was also "just a fad" to some folks in the early-mid 90s
This isn't even remotely true. We were all tripping over ourselves to get 3dfx cards and play Mario 64. It's nothing like the polarizing opinions of VR.

Edit- unless you're talking about 3d glasses or a 3d effect like the 3ds.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
$400 isn't the price I think many people are pointing to as the tipping point. Rather, it's just continuing proof of the lowering cost of VR. Just as, once upon a time, things like the PS3 were $600, but now you can have equivalent power in a $100 phone, so too will VR's price drop. It already has, that same type of set up used to be $1000+ just a few years ago (and much clunkier).

The $400 quest isn't the end goal, it's a sign of where things are heading.
I understand what you are saying, however I was replying to the notion that it's not a lot of money and not that it costs too much, for instance something like 3/4 of americans living paycheck to paycheck with most having less than $1,000 to their name in the interim

May 25, 2019
London
It just isn't how I want to consume games. That's it, really. I don't want to strap something to my face for a prolonged amount of time

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This isn't even remotely true. We were all tripping over ourselves to get 3dfx cards and play Mario 64. It's nothing like the polarizing opinions of VR.

Edit- unless you're talking about 3d glasses or a 3d effect like the 3ds.
People did actually become skeptical of 3D back in the day. Not as much, but it still existed.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Wait there's a VR version of Resident Evil 2!?!!?!

Edit: nevermind it's just somE VORPX mod. Haven't been able to even get VORPX working properly on 7 lol.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I honestly don't hear too much trashing these days. There was a lot of pushback initially when people's expectations weren't set appropriately - which is difficult to establish when it's such a singular experience - but these days haters have pretty much moved on and just let the communities do their thing I think.

No, VR isn't a game changer but it doesn't need to be. I'm never gonna want to wear a helmet every day of the week to play games and that's fine. It's a nice compliment to "flat" gaming.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like part of it is people pushing back against all the over enthusiastic VR enthusiasts. In a lot of VR threads (and Half Life: Alyx threads), there's people constantly saying the same things:
-VR/this VR game is game changing, and will change the face of gaming FOREVER!
-traditional games are going to die out, VR is going to completely replace it, why don't people and developers get on VR?
-playing non-VR games is HORRIBLE after playing VR
-people's concerns with VR are invalid/way overemphasized and they're wrong

Etc., etc.

I own a VR headset, and it's cool. I like it. But I do think some VR enthusiasts can seem obnoxious from the outside? On the other hand, the people that constantly run around bashing VR just because are also annoying. Though people with valid gripes about VR should be able to voice that. Whether it's about a game being VR exclusive, or something they don't like about the VR experience. I wish there were more people that were more chill about it—not overzealous, and not vitriolic.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I feel like part of it is people pushing back against all the over enthusiastic VR enthusiasts. In a lot of VR threads (and Half Life: Alyx threads), there's people constantly saying the same things:
-traditional games are going to die out, VR is going to completely replace it, why don't people and developers get on VR?

Etc., etc.

I own a VR headset, and it's cool. I like it. But I do think some VR enthusiasts can seem obnoxious from the outside? On the other hand, the people that constantly run around bashing VR just because are also annoying. Though people with valid gripes about VR should be able to voice that. Whether it's about a game being VR exclusive, or something they don't like about the VR experience. I wish there were more people that were more chill about it—not overzealous, and not vitriolic.
I get when people say non-VR games are horrible after playing VR or how traditional gaming is going to die out, but to say it's not a gamechanger, well what is?

I mean the 2D->3D graphics jump is quantifiably less of a gamechanger to the user experience than VR. If VR isn't a gamechanger, then surely nothing ever has been? Sometimes things come around that really are just that much of a gamechanger. VR is one of those things.

I can easily say that people who speak negatively of VR are confused. They might have valid criticsms, but there's always one or several misconceived or false points which could completely change their opinion on the topic. If they get past a simple sentence with the word gimmick in it, then It's always something like "The games are just tech demos" or "The headsets are bulky so it will always be niche" or " "Well 40-70% of people get sick"

Point is, if people want to make a judgement call, they should do their research.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't hear too much trashing these days. There was a lot of pushback initially when people's expectations weren't set appropriately - which is difficult to establish when it's such a singular experience - but these days haters have pretty much moved on and just let the communities do their thing I think.

No, VR isn't a game changer but it doesn't need to be. I'm never gonna want to wear a helmet every day of the week to play games and that's fine. It's a nice compliment to "flat" gaming.
As someone that just recently got an Index and experienced Alyx.

I have to somewhat disagree. I absolutely think it is a game changer. Full stop.

Recency bias certainly has an effect, but there are very few moments in my decades of gaming that have matched the experience of having your brain convinced you just got dropped into City 17 and the ability to look around and interact in that space.

I used to be skeptical but after finally experiencing it I can envision so many things that VR can just do better, and do in ways conventional gaming would just struggle with, just because of the way it allows you to interact and be immersed.

It is still rough around the edges but as graphics get better, headsets and sensors improve, the bulkiness is cut down, and barriers to entry continue to come down, which I imagine is probably a half decade off for everything to come together, there is no reason it can't be the powerhouse it was envisioned just a few years ago before this absurd cynicism in the traditional gaming community sunk in.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
As someone that just recently got an Index and experienced Alyx.

I have to somewhat disagree. I absolutely think it is a game changer. Full stop.

Recency bias certainly has an effect, but there are very few moments in my decades of gaming that have matched the experience of having your brain convinced you just got dropped into City 17 and the ability to look around and interact in that space.

I used to be skeptical but after finally experiencing it I can envision so many things that VR can just do better, and do in ways conventional gaming would just struggle with, just because of the way it allows you to interact and be immersed.

It is still rough around the edges but as graphics get better, headsets and sensors improve, the bulkiness is cut down, and barriers to entry continue to come down, which I imagine is probably a half decade off for everything to come together, there is no reason it can't be the powerhouse it was envisioned just a few years ago before this absurd cynicism in the traditional gaming community sunk in.

Not to discount your opinion at all, but my mind was similarly blown when I got VR 3.5 years ago.

But I've played such a wide breadth of what VR has to offer now that it's clear to me it will always be this niche thing. Obvioulsy it will improve as you say, but I don't see it breaking out with the mainstream, because a lot of people just don't like being shut off from the world. AR seems far more likely to take off with the mainstream IMO.

Even when price/motion sickness etc are all dealt with, there will always be that psychological barrier for many that it's a fundamentally solitary experience.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a very good example of people reading in innocuous statements what they want to hear. i've seen this same FUD repeated directly my way many times. An example from the old board:

Bai4vsb.png

YsQnM7J.png

V2ggDt7.png

EcVi3ta.png

Most of these poor justifications for "push back" are straw men from people who are claiming people have said things they didn't say. Pushing back against something people aren't saying just makes for really, really shitty discussion. Someone being enthusiastic about a technology, does not mean they're going around saying whatever thing you like is doomed to die. And definitely isn't justification for the kind of awful posting that permeates every discussion of VR on this site. "Niche" this and "gimmick" that. like, people are aware that gaming as a whole is "niche" right? The vast, vast majority of the planet doesn't play playstation games. literally everything is a niche.

Dec 11, 2017
We're largely past the point of people trashing VR in my eyes. That was a few years ago when the first headsets were releasing and people were predicting it would be the biggest revolution in video games in 20 years. Tons of discussion and fervor in those days on message boards.

We're now at the point where a small and passionate community of VR enthusiasts talk about it and the larger gaming population doesn't think about VR at all. A new Half-Life game came out and it wasn't a fraction of the popular culture event that a new Animal Crossing was.

I believe you'll need to see more major developers commit to AAA VR projects to see mainstream VR discussion again. A big push from a Sony could do it.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
People did actually become skeptical of 3D back in the day. Not as much, but it still existed.

People being skeptical of one technology in the past doesn't justify a completely different technology in the present. It's a wholly unconvincing argument usually reserved for failed or extremely niche products with a very enthusiastic fanbase that doesn't want to accept reality.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
And definitely isn't justification for the kind of awful posting that permeates every discussion of VR on this site. "Niche" this and "gimmick" that. like, people are aware that gaming as a whole is "niche" right? The vast, vast majority of the planet doesn't play playstation games. literally everything is a niche.

Yes, and plenty of people don't have access to a fridge. That doesn't mean there aren't different levels of popularity in a segment - VR is simply not appealing to most gamers and most likely never will be.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
this reads like pleading to me

VR is niche, you're going to have a hard time arguing against reality. I assume you're developing a VR game? Accept you're developing for an enthusiast's market that's never going to be big and you'll probably see local success.

You can always tell when a product is unappealing to most if there's a really rabid fanbase that constantly argues against it being unpopular even though that's easily observable reality.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VR is niche, you're going to have a hard time arguing against reality. I assume you're developing a VR game? Accept you're developing for an enthusiast's market that's never going to be big.

VR is already big enough for sales. There are multiple million+ sellers in the VR market. Selling over a million units is big sales to all but the largest developers.

I am, in fact, developing a VR/AR applicationr ight now. I know my sales projections and they are indeed "big."

You can always tell when a product is unappealing to most if there's a really rabid fanbase that constantly argues against it being unpopular even though that's easily observable reality.

VR's popularity has grown every single year. Like, literally, any time you ever talk about VR since 2016, every single day, is the new "most popular VR has ever been." VR sales have increased exponentially every single year they've been on the market.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
This was always a flawed argument though. It's a short-term gain and a long-term detriment. If the entirety of VR went away and the resources were instead poured into traditional games, you'd get more of the same. Even traditional gaming wouldn't advance as fast because areas like AI, sound, and physics would be underdeveloped compared to a future where VR gets investment.

I doubt the people that come into VR threads to shit on them are thinking long-term. Maybe they get nausea with VR, or don't want to look like a tool wearing an HMD around their families, or simply can't afford the entry fee. Maybe they think "A new Half-life game is finally out and I can't play it? That's kinda bullshit. They shouldn't gate off something like that" and then proceed to think of every valid (or invalid) criticism you can level at the situation and post. The more VR gains traction, the more they will be "left out", so it's in their best interests to poison the well of sentiment if at all possible.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not to discount your opinion at all, but my mind was similarly blown when I got VR 3.5 years ago.

But I've played such a wide breadth of what VR has to offer now that it's clear to me it will always be this niche thing. Obvioulsy it will improve as you say, but I don't see it breaking out with the mainstream, because a lot of people just don't like being shut off from the world. AR seems far more likely to take off with the mainstream IMO.

Even when price/motion sickness etc are all dealt with, there will always be that psychological barrier for many that it's a fundamentally solitary experience.
I guess I just sort of disagree still.

I feel like the medium has only scratched the surface of what it could offer. Since outside of Alyx and Lone Echo, you really dont have a Rockstar, CD Projekt Red, or Ubisoft level company making any big budget specifically VR catered games.

And I think the medium really opens up the ability to make experiences that would just be boring in a traditional game far more compelling because of the way the immersion and nature of the interaction changes things.

I think part of the problem, and even Alyx suffered it to an extent, is that there is this pull toward applying tradional gaming design, catered to the way tradional gaming stimulates and loops, to a space that is, frankly, quite different. You would never make a heavily story based, exploration and detective heavy low action Harry Potter simulator in a traditional game space, but something like that could be insane in VR.

How mainstream it gets I think is a fair point, but I think it's upper limit is pretty damn high.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
We're getting there. It will take a $300 all contained device with the software behind it to move the needle. Quest isn't it yet. The pricing looks good, but it needs 1st party games that make people want to spend money for one. It probably also needs more power as a device.

That said, loss of spatial oriention and being disconnected from the world is not for everyone. VR will be how videogames are treated by the broader population, but within the microcosm of the video game community. Some people will be really into it, lots of people will like it, but many more will never want it because of that

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
The more VR gains traction, the more they will be "left out", so it's in their best interests to poison the well of sentiment if at all possible.

The argument is that VR is never going to gain meaningful traction because the experience is unappealing to most.

Meanwhile, people that have bought VR headsets are desperate to prop up the market because they need fresh people to buy into the ecosystem for themselves to get new content.

So it's the opposite of your argument in reality.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

Can we stop pushing this false narrative that VR is such a fundamentally solitary experience when it's the most socially connecting technology we have?

It would be great if people weren't so confident about how VR is always going to be a niche. Be confident only when you have something to back it up - you do not.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
VR is already big enough for sales. There are multiple million+ sellers in the VR market. Selling over a million units is big sales to all but the largest developers.

I am, in fact, developing a VR/AR applicationr ight now. I know my sales projections and they are indeed "big."

VR's popularity has grown every single year. Like, literally, any time you ever talk about VR since 2016, every single day, is the new "most popular VR has ever been." VR sales have increased exponentially every single year they've been on the market.

So you're posting this enthusiastically about a really niche technology because you're financially involved. That makes sense. I certainly wish you the best of luck.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop pushing this false narrative that VR is such a fundamentally solitary experience when it's the most socially connecting technology we have?

It would be great if people weren't so confident about how VR is always going to be a niche. Be confident only when you have something to back it up - you do not.

Of course it's an extremely solitary and isolating technology, it's literally the opposite of a socially connecting experience. Traditional multiplayer experiences that connect people are pretty much impossible in VR.

I find it really strange some people like you are so confident VR is going to be big. Be confident only when you have something to back it up - you do not.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
People being skeptical of one technology in the past doesn't justify a completely different technology in the present. It's a wholly unconvincing argument usually reserved for failed or extremely niche products with a very enthusiastic fanbase that doesn't want to accept reality.
I mean I wasn't even justifying it. Was just pointing that out.

However, I'll give you a history lesson, Taffy. All now-mainstream technologies were once considered fads, gimmicks, or a waste of time.

TV.png

the-artifice.com

A History of Colour: The Difficult Transition from Black and White Cinematography

In Colour Consciousness, Natalie Kalmus wrote that the 'inherent desire for artists to show motion in colour' has always existed . From the first cave pain...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.statista.com

Topic: Virtual reality (VR)

Find the most up-to-date statistics and facts about the global virtual reality (VR) market

Published by Statista Research Department, Mar 3, 2020

Virtual reality (VR) is a simulated experience that can be similar to or completely different from the real world. The aim of VR is to create a sensory experience for the user sometimes including sight, touch, hearing, smell, or even taste. The VR industry as a whole is growing at a fast pace, with the market size of consumer virtual reality hardware and software projected to increase from 6.2 billion U.S. dollars in 2019 to more than 16 billion U.S. dollars by 2022.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsolrogers%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FScreen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-14.26.45.jpg

Oculus Quest, in less than 1/5 the time, has nearly matched the LTD sales of PSVR:

VR-Headset-Sales.jpg

headsets have been completely sold out for the last 5 months since Alyx was released.

LOL at "it's not gaining traction."

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Of course it's an extremely solitary and isolating technology, it's literally the opposite of a socially connecting experience. Traditional multiplayer experiences that connect people are pretty much impossible in VR.

I find it really strange some people like you are so confident VR is going to be big. Be confident only when you have something to back it up - you do not.
Traditional multiplayer experiences are impossible in VR? Get out of here. Are you really this clueless, or are you just trolling?

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I wasn't even justifying it. Was just pointing that out.

However, I'll give you a history lesson, Taffy. All now-mainstream technologies were once considered fads, gimmicks, or a waste of time.

the-artifice.com

A History of Colour: The Difficult Transition from Black and White Cinematography

In Colour Consciousness, Natalie Kalmus wrote that the 'inherent desire for artists to show motion in colour' has always existed . From the first cave pain...

This is a dumb argument, because you'll always find someone being skeptical of any technology. That doesn't mean any new technology is going to be successful, everything has to be judged on its own merits. And VR has the problem of being a very isolating and unappealing experience to many people.

Traditional multiplayer experiences are impossible in VR? Get out of here. Are you really this clueless, or are you just trolling?

What are the hugely successful VR multiplayer games?

Ah, I see. Guess I'm right, then.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The product I am working on right now is inherently multiplayer. It is, in many ways, a teleconferencing application.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales

Bizarrely defensive response my friend; no need to come at me so aggressively. I'd love to be wrong on this, but the overwhelming number of MP experiences I've had in VR have died a death relatively quickly - the exceptions being Palvov, VR Chat, Echo Arena and a few others.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
The product I am working on right now is inherently multiplayer. It is, in many ways, a teleconferencing application.

Not knowing anything but that short blurb, that sounds like something that's not going to be successful because it's not how people work. No one wants to strap an isolating contraption to their face to talk with their coworkers.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The argument is that VR is never going to gain meaningful traction because the experience is unappealing to most.

Meanwhile, people that have bought VR headsets are desperate to prop up the market because they need fresh people to buy into the ecosystem for themselves to get new content.

So it's the opposite of your argument in reality.
So why is the market still growing?

Your argument seems to be predicated now on the enthusiastic base "tricking" others into joining, but not only are they seemingly staying, the community continues to grow year over year.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this guy has made predictions that so far have been almost dead on with the benefit of hindsight, so mayb eI wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his analysis.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Great graphs on VR being extremely niche even among PC gamers.

Also, a market can be growing even if it's never going to be anything but niche. The population is ever-increasing, so growth is to be expected for most things.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not knowing anything but that short blurb, that sounds like something that's not going to be successful because it's not how people work. No one wants to strap an isolating contraption to their face to talk with their coworkers.

True to your posting form it seems. "I don't know anything about what you're talking about but let me tell you why you're going to fail."

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
That said, loss of spatial oriention and being disconnected from the world is not for everyone. VR will be how videogames are treated by the broader population, but within the microcosm of the video game community. Some people will be really into it, lots of people will like it, but many more will never want it because of that
This aspect of VR can be fixed.

Picture this, but instead of seeing your whole room at once, you see whatever objects/things you need on an individual basis. (represented more than just wireframes)

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
True to your posting form it seems. "I don't know anything about what you're talking about but let me tell you why you're going to fail."

Sorry I'm reacting to what you're posting? If you want to be evaluated differently, maybe give more details. What you posted doesn't sound like an useful product.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just say there's a big, big, BIIIIIIG announcement that is upcoming in the sector that perhaps people like I would be privy to, that is informing my business decisions, that many on this board would not be privy to.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Let's just say there's a big, big, BIIIIIIG announcement that is upcoming in the sector that perhaps people like I would be privy to, that is informing my business decisions, that many on this board would not be privy to.

Is this supposed to be convincing to anyone? Did they invent new humans that are suddenly all into VR?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is a dumb argument, because you'll always find someone being skeptical of any technology. That doesn't mean any new technology is going to be successful, everything has to be judged on its own merits. And VR has the problem of being a very isolating and unappealing experience to many people.

What are the hugely successful VR multiplayer games?

Ah, I see. Guess I'm right, then.
Every point in your replies to me has been wrong, period. Don't get confident in ignorance.

And no, that's not a dumb argument because we're not talking about a few skepetics here and there. People largely could have cared less about PCs and phones in the early 80s.

Of course I don't mean to say that VR is automatically going to be success for those reasons; I believe VR will be successful because of how much value it has combined with the fact that it will solve the issues that stop the average user from wearing one.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

even if it doesn't cure amblyopia, strabismus, or other convergence problems, part of the way we perceive depth is through microsaccades that VR facilitates. Our brains are built to use visual offsets to discern depth, not just through stereoscopy, but also via temporal displacement. It's why this works:

9c9916e92060abafdc589d0385fe7e4e.gif

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great graphs on VR being extremely niche even among PC gamers.

Also, a market can be growing even if it's never going to be anything but niche. The population is ever-increasing, so growth is to be expected for most things.

Yep, crazy how much the Virtual Boy is still selling just because it was around and people just had to keep buying it.....Do you read your arguments before hitting send?

Niche is a subjective term, and you proclaiming something to be the truth(it will remain a very s mall community) immediately reeks of motivated reasoning. We don't know what the upper limit is, but so far we haven't found it. And the onus is sort of on you to provide actual evidence for how you seem to know where it is?

I'm certainly not discounting the possibility that it may reach a ceiling sooner than later, but there are A LOT of reasons to think it also won't. And given the companies pouring big money into the space(Facebook, Apple, Sony, Valve, etc.) they seem to be hedging toward the latter, and that says something.