• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you really love Mario‘s 2D physics or just accept them?

• Yes I love those jumpy floaty slides! Keep them!

Votes: 811 82.2%
  • Nah I just play because all the other stuff like level design are great, but I‘d like it tighter!

Votes: 123 12.5%
  • I do not play Mario games, because the the controls suck!

Votes: 53 5.4%

• Total voters

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
NSMB is a bit too overboard with the skidding after a quick turn from a run(and landing). Only game I am not "fine" with. But otherwise the rest I'm good with.

Mario 1 can be really rough for newcomers that need to acclimate to its lack of control in several aspects of motion(that later games adjust for), but its by design and levels are built around it.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only negative I have to say is that it's practically impossible to fit in the space between two spikes, maybe it's because it takes a while to halt the horizontal acceleration so the controls don't lend themselves well to absolute pixel-perfect precision.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The physics is what makes Mario the GOAT platforming character.

The way the poll options were worded, now THAT really sucks.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
As a mid to late 30's guy myself, what are we even comparing with this take? SMB1 or SMW to Super Meat Boy? That's preposterous. 2d Mario controls have evolved over the years to include using momentum to fly, spin jumps, wall climbs, etc. Compare each game to a game of its time and hands down Mario succeeds every time until we get to the NSMB era. Go play Pac-Land or Alex Kidd in Miracle World and then tell me SMB1 controls sucked. I prefer Super Mario World to Sonic or Bonk. Just my tastes I guess.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I mean, it's the worst take ever.

Mario's physics are complex and take a while to master, but they are a huge chunk of the gameplay itself. Not being a fan is one thing, saying they are imprecise, floaty or suck is good enough reason to have all your gaming license revoked :P
I see you are a fellow memer as well good sir

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I love the OP calling the jumps floaty,
play LBP and marvel at the tight controls of Sackboy.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I far prefer Super Mario World, but at least it's not too bad now.

What I hate the most though is down to ground pound. I've died on so many difficult levels because I accidentally end up tilting down while in the air.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It's just you OP. Also, the jumps aren't floaty, they just follow a parabola based on the games physics using directional momentum and gravitational acceleration instead of just immediately slamming you back down. There are really floating platformers out there, Mario is not among them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's just you OP. Also, the jumps aren't floaty, they just follow a parabola based on the games physics using directional momentum and gravitational acceleration instead of just immediately slamming you back down. There are really floating platformers out there, Mario is not among them.
That's most platformers. Mario has lower gravity and higher air control than a lot of the others mentioned in this thread, so he tends to have more air time. Hence, "floaty".

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
That's most platformers. Mario has lower gravity than a lot of the others mentioned in this thread, so he tends to have more air time. Hence, "floaty".
Nah, it just takes the distance the "camera" is away from him into consideration instead of gravity affecting him as if he were actually 2 inches tall. It's the same way trees in the distance seem to move slower than the grass on the side of the road. Mario seems to fall slower because he's not just dropping three inches, he's falling several feet. It takes longer to fall several feet than a few inches.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it just takes the distance the "camera" is away from him into consideration instead of gravity affecting him as if he were actually 2 inches tall. It's the same way trees in the distance seem to move slower than the grass on the side of the road. Mario seems to fall slower because he's not just dropping three inches, he's falling several feet.
I said Mario's gravitational acceleration is slow compared to other platformers mentioned in this thread. I have no idea how it compares to real life, but I somehow doubt it's particularly accurate there.

"Floaty" is comparative.

If you think Mario is floaty, what do you call Samus's jump in Super Metroid?
Floaty.

It's also way more fun to control Samus in Super Metroid than basically any other Metroid game because of how momentum works in Super, but yeah, her jump is floaty. It's a good example of why just saying "this game has floaty physics" doesn't really describe how well a game plays.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it works, it could be better I think with less skidding but I think it's near perfect for what it does and the level design around the game. I prefer the feel of Rayman, Super Meat Boy and Celeste though

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have problems with Super Mario World in particular. Something about the jump momentum and "edge" collisions felt off.

Platformers is my fav genre btw. and I think 3D Mario is top notch. 2D Mario though...

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I said Mario's gravitational acceleration is slow compared to other platformers mentioned in this thread. I have no idea how it compares to real life, but I somehow doubt it's particularly accurate there.

"Floaty" is comparative.

Floaty.

It's also way more fun to control Samus in Super Metroid than basically any other Metroid game because of how momentum works in Super, but yeah, her jump is floaty. It's a good example of why just saying "this game has floaty physics" doesn't really describe how well a game plays.
Nah realistic would be baseline and anything floaty would be floatier than realism, and anything with higher gravity should be considered weighted.

By your reasoning the most weighted game would be the only non-floaty game because everything else would be floaty compared to it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah realistic would be baseline and anything floaty would be floatier than realism, and anything with higher gravity should be considered weighted.

By your reasoning the most weighted game would be the only non-floaty game because everything else would be floaty compared to it.
If we were to use real life as a baseline, Mario is actually absurdly weighty.

Like, experiencing G force comparable to a fighter plane pilot.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I picked up Super Mario U Deluxe a few weeks ago, and yeah, it's been an adjustment getting used to the floaty controls after not playing a 2D Mario game for decades. I've died a lot. Lovely game though.

Oct 25, 2017
It actually might be "just you". Something nobody's ever been able to accomplish before in making one of these threads. So, good job!

vYm1A.gif

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Even with the variation in its many games, the Mario series is the gold standard for platforming physics. I'm not going to answer the poll, because those answers are terrible.

A better question is: which Mario game has the best/worst physics/controls? It's amazing to me that Nintendo can keep tweaking them, and they are all still great. But one still has to be better than another.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Th poll choices are terrible

I like them because they're perfect, nothing floaty about them

Are you positive you weren't playing a lbp mod?

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
That's most platformers. Mario has lower gravity and higher air control than a lot of the others mentioned in this thread, so he tends to have more air time. Hence, "floaty".
You misunderstood the parabola part. Here's a list of jump arc gifs: https://imgur.com/a/9Dj5F
With a full jump, Meat Boy's jump is a lot more "floaty" as it has more airtime and slower descent.
But Meat Boy has a mechanic where when you release jump before the peak, you drop down directly, cutting the parabola short down to a seesaw.
(Original) Mario on the other hand has a mechanic where as long as you hold jump, gravity is reduced on the way up. At the peak of his jump or when you release jump, gravity suddently becomes heavy, making him drop like a rock.

With Mario, the two half parabola are roughly decided when you start the jump, and you can only fine-tune it. Mario has good air-time but low air-control because he is "slippery" (low horizontal accelleration), so air-control is difficult.
Meat Boy has very high horizontal acccelleration, so he has a lot of air control (you can change direction during a jump). This means that his levels are designed so that you have to control the jump all the way trough.
Another extreme are classic Megaman where he has infinite horizontal acceleration (but low top speed). We often call this "sticky" because he starts and stops immediately (no slowing down or accelerating). Where you land becomes 100% linked to your immediate button presses, rather than a composite of button presses over time.

Due to the gravity increase on the way down that gives him a "weighty" feeling, I wouldn't call Mario "floaty".
"Floaty" is for games like LBP with low vertical speed, where it can take aggravatingly long to rise/fall. I don't know exactly what's the issue (it looks like a symmetrical parabola? impulse-based? with just slow descent?).

Not all jumps use parabolas. For example as said in a previous post I might be wrong but I think Meat Boy has constant speed on ascent to make the height more controllable, and the top is on a timer.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So, you only wanted to hear from people who agree with your bad take. Right, right.
"You are not agree with me. Right, you must be a blindly fan. Next"
Sorry OP, you have the right to not liking the control, but you are in a minority here. Accept it and move on.
If you can't accept it, don't ask and move on.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You misunderstood the parabola part. Here's a list of jump arc gifs: https://imgur.com/a/9Dj5F
With a full jump, Meat Boy's jump is a lot more "floaty" as it has more airtime and slower descent.
But Meat Boy has a mechanic where when you release jump before the peak, you drop down directly, cutting the parabola short down to a seesaw.
(Original) Mario on the other hand has a mechanic where as long as you hold jump, gravity is reduced on the way up. At the peak of his jump or when you release jump, gravity suddently becomes heavy, making him drop like a rock.

With Mario, the two half parabola are roughly decided when you start the jump, and you can only fine-tune it. Mario has good air-time but low air-control because he is "slippery" (low horizontal accelleration), so air-control is difficult.
Meat Boy has very high horizontal acccelleration, so he has a lot of air control (you can change direction during a jump). This means that his levels are designed so that you have to control the jump all the way trough.
Another extreme are classic Megaman where he has infinite horizontal acceleration (but low top speed). We often call this "sticky" because he starts and stops immediately (no slowing down or accelerating). Where you land becomes 100% linked to your immediate button presses, rather than a composite of button presses over time.

Due to the gravity increase on the way down that gives him a "weighty" feeling, I wouldn't call Mario "floaty".
"Floaty" is for games like LBP with low vertical speed, where it can take aggravatingly long to rise/fall. I don't know exactly what's the issue (symmetrical parabola? impulse-based? or just slow descent?).

Not all jumps use parabolas. For example as said in a previous post I might be wrong but I think Meat Boy has constant speed on ascent to make the height more controllable, and the top is on a timer.
This, simply. You can close the thread.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
its perfect and it always a gold standard for platforming to me

Last edited: