• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you really love Mario‘s 2D physics or just accept them?

• Yes I love those jumpy floaty slides! Keep them!

Votes: 811 82.2%
  • Nah I just play because all the other stuff like level design are great, but I‘d like it tighter!

Votes: 123 12.5%
  • I do not play Mario games, because the the controls suck!

Votes: 53 5.4%

• Total voters

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I am a gaming veteran in my mid 30s and have been playing videogames since I was a kid. One of my first games was Mario Land 1 on GameBoy and since then I have played my fair share of jump n runs and other action games. I have asked myself why I never was really a super duper Mario fan, even though I have atleast bought and beaten most of them. Now, while playing Mario Maker 2, I am quite sure it is because of the sluggishness and slippyness and floatiness of Mario himself. You just never really feel powerful or totally in control like in Super Meat Boy or even Donkey Kong Country Returns. I guess it is part of Mario's identity by now, but I ask myself: does it really have to be?

The title is a bit clickbaity, I am sorry, but it's how I feel playing Mario Maker 2 right now! ;) Still love Mario games, especially 3D, but to me it would seem, at least an alternate input mode or character with different physics would make the game different but more fun. What do you guys think?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Different strokes and all, but I struggle to think of formulas as timeless as classic 2D Mario.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think the controls are great, though I do agree that the level of control in Super Meat Boy is much more precise. But that's necessary due to the extreme nature of that game.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
pref·er·ence
/ˈpref(ə)rəns/

noun

1. 1.
    a greater liking for one alternative over another or others.
    "he chose a clock in preference to a watch"

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
I never heard this complain in my life...it's like "does water feel dry or is it just me?"

But honestly: sometimes the controls feel really slippery but you can get used to it and have a perfect control over the character. It's not even such a big learning curve so I bet you will getting used to it too.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think mastering Mario's momentum is part of the fun and why SMB2J is so underrated. No other game in the series makes me appreciate the nuances of Mario's movement quite like that one.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I played 2d Mario for the first time recently on the Switch online NES. My first impression was that the controls and physics were terrible, but they eventually clicked with me and now I love them.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand the way Super Meat Boy feels to control and it's the reason I've stayed away from Celeste as I've seen comparisons made between them.
The movement in 2d and 3D Mario games is always excellent.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say, we are all so accustomed to what Mario feels like that it just makes sense in our collective brains. There isn't really a right way to handle this sort of thing.

Do you think the hang time on Mario's jump is too long? Do you feel like you have too little or too much control while in the air? Does it feel like acceleration or ground or air friction are too high or too low?

These values can be adjusted to reach what you feel is "right," but where does that idea come from? What FEELS right? For most of us, it's probably a question of "how much does it feel like the Mario I remember in my head?"

Edit: this is all to say that "floaty" is a cursed word.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I really didn't liked Super Mario World physic on SNES Mini, I prefer the New series gameplay, physic and level design all day, didn't even finished SMW, too many obtuse levels.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Why is there no plain "I like the controls" option on the poll without calling them jumpy floaty

Did you forget to add it

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
That sure is a take. One that almost no one will agree with, but, hey, you do you.

Mario is the ur-platformer for a reason, and impeccable control is a big part of that. The games feel fun to play in a way that so many other platformers simply fail at.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I can't stand the way Super Meat Boy feels to control and it's the reason I've stayed away from Celeste as I've seen comparisons made between them.
The movement in 2d and 3D Mario games is always excellent.
You are making a very big mistake
Celeste's controls are very precise and nothing like Super Meat Boy.
Celeste is a stunning achievement for 2d platformers and you should not miss it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is the most aggressively "just you" thing I have ever seen. That shit is flawless. Plus, if you're complaining about "floaty jumps" yet you think Donkey Kong somehow feels tighter than Mario?
200.gif

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I may be in the extreme minority here but I never could handle Mario in any game. Lack of trying is also a factor because of which, to this day, i haven't completed even the Super Mario Bros

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Wow, the consensus really seems clear. I did not expect this kind outcome. But maybe the clickbaity topic enrages Mario fans and leads more of them in here than people who do not like Mario and do not care. Thanks for enlightening me, it seems I am in a deep minority. Oh well, at least we live in a time where there are options for me as well. Hollow Knight's physics for example I find excellent and my brain really connects with the character, with Mario it always feels like I am 'fighting' him.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The weight to the movement is what makes the game so timeless and so addicting. People keep playing and get better at them and at some point the satisfaction is a great reward. They are what make the game interesting because they require to be mastered.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I've had more fun with Super Mario Maker 2 than any other 2D title in the series and have come to appreciate and enjoy the controls.

But I feel Super Meat Boy, Rayman, The End is Nigh and Celeste all have tighter controls... even if the latter has a slightly clumsy dash.

I prefer 2D Sonic too, but it's a totally different beast.

In the 3D arena, Mario is king and light years ahead of the rest. But the 2D space has become much more competitive and some games have matched him (at least).

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't think they suck by any means. Though I do think they've been outclassed by other modern platformers.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I actually sort of agree. I don't find Mario bad, but he's in a weird middle ground between the super tightly controller platformers and the more momentum/commitment based ones like Luigi and DK, which I actually prefer.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario World was great when I played it 30 years ago. Never did finish it though. I did the entire star road, but for some reason, never finished the boss fight.

Compared to the jumping in Donkey Kong, and Manic Miner, it was perfect. Not going to get into the Sonic thing though, don't want to start a war...

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Wow, the consensus really seems clear. I did not expect this kind outcome. But maybe the clickbaity topic enrages Mario fans and leads more of them in here than people who do not like Mario and do not care. Thanks for enlightening me, it seems I am in a deep minority. Oh well, at least we live in a time where there are options for me as well. Hollow Knight's physics for example I find excellent and my brain really connects with the character, with Mario it always feels like I am 'fighting' him.

If you've grown up with Mario games I'm surprised that you haven't become accustomed to them.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i agree, if a 2d indie platformer came out with these physics today it would get DRAGGED

mario needs to invest in shoes with better grips ASAP

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really awful controls, and noticeably awful hit boxes in Super Mario Maker 2.

It really sucks, because it's clear how much better the 3D World content is in SMM2 versus all the other games you can use to make levels, but it's missing so many features.

I'm really curious how many people here have played a modern 2D platformer, and have also played something like Mario Maker to be reminded of how the 2D Mario games actually control.

I've had more fun with Super Mario Maker 2 than any other 2D title in the series and have come to appreciate and enjoy the controls.

But I feel Super Meat Boy, Rayman, The End is Nigh and Celeste all have tighter controls... even if the latter has a slightly clumsy dash.

I prefer 2D Sonic too, but it's a totally different beast.

In the 3D arena, Mario is king and light years ahead of the rest. But the 2D space has become much more competitive and some games have matched him (at least).
Basically this.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

It didn't matter what you called the thread, you had one of the worst takes in gaming history about the franchise that arguably spawned the modern age of video games. It's not a surprise people are pretty dismissive of your opinion.

You should try making a thread calling tetris too simplistic for a puzzle game, or that the final fantasy series are really shallow mechanically for rpgs, or that exploration in zelda series is very primitive for an adventure game. You'd basically get the same reaction.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
So, you only wanted to hear from people who agree with your bad take. Right, right.