• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 8, 2019
So I was kind of watching the The Game Awards to see if they would announce either FF VII Remake DLC or Age of Calamity DLC and for game of the Year Christopher Nolan announced it, and he had this weird squinty look like he had just smoked a bunch of pot with Kevin Smith.

It's possible the guy was just bored which just brings up the fact that Video Games dont really need to have celebrities appear unless they like to play Video Games. Is Christopher Nolan on twitch? He doesnt come off like the type of guy to play video games, so why did he present Game of the Year, its just distracting because he didnt seem to actually care, and it made TGA seem desperate when theirs probably a ton of other celebrities they could have used that would have sounded more excited.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably. lol besides Brie Larson I don't think any of the celebs there particularly adore video games.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
He seems fine. Do you smoke? I find that the media exaggerates the look someone has when they're high.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that's just how he is all the time if you watch any other interviews with him right down to the soft spoken voice.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its called not giving a fuck and just doing it cause he owed someone a favor or to promote Tenet since the lead actor was also there earlier.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He did call all of the GotY nominees incredible narrative experiences, and Animal Crossing was on there, so... maybe?
(I love Animal Crossing don't hate me)

OP
OP
Charred Knight
Oct 8, 2019
Probably. lol besides Brie Larson I don't think any of the celebs there particularly adore video games.

Which is why I really question why they do this. I am just looking at Christopher Nolan talk about stories in Video Games, and I dont think "Wow Video Games have risen to art" I think "Geoff paid Christopher Nolan to pretend that his played and enjoyed Final Fanrasy VII Remake"

Here's the thing, Kenny Omega loves games, the guys named after the Omega Weapon, and his finishing move is the One Winged Angel, you couldnt get that guy to present the award instead. You have to pretend that Christopher Nolan loves video games instead.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, it's so funny they have a movie director announcing Game of the Year.

(as oddly impressive as it is to get Christopher Nolan for anything)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Damn I forgot about that thing and took my sleeping pills"

I did this more than once

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
50713fc3dc6f3b7fb720487f3f610420.gif

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
He's been seething about HBO Max for days now. Can't think about anything else. Can't remember why he signed onto this game thing back in the before times, before HBO Max ruined everything.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
It looks like his eyes are tracking, so it's likely there's a teleprompter in front of him.

It's probably just a backup though, as he has memorised what to say.

Oct 27, 2017
So I was kind of watching the The Game Awards to see if they would announce either FF VII Remake DLC or Age of Calamity DLC and for game of the Year Christopher Nolan announced it, and he had this weird squinty look like he had just smoked a bunch of pot with Kevin Smith.

It's possible the guy was just bored which just brings up the fact that Video Games dont really need to have celebrities appear unless they like to play Video Games. Is Christopher Nolan on twitch? He doesnt come off like the type of guy to play video games, so why did he present Game of the Year, its just distracting because he didnt seem to actually care, and it made TGA seem desperate when theirs probably a ton of other celebrities they could have used that would have sounded more excited.

Not at all

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Here's the thing, Kenny Omega loves games, the guys named after the Omega Weapon, and his finishing move is the One Winged Angel, you couldnt get that guy to present the award instead. You have to pretend that Christopher Nolan loves video games instead.
Plus he's not a face right now so he could be in kayfabe mode to talk shit about every game aside from VII Remake.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
He wasn't high, he just seemed wholly uninterested in this shit. Not sure why Geoff went all out with celebs instead of relevant gaming personas that don't suck.

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
Which is why I really question why they do this. I am just looking at Christopher Nolan talk about stories in Video Games, and I dont think "Wow Video Games have risen to art" I think "Geoff paid Christopher Nolan to pretend that his played and enjoyed Final Fanrasy VII Remake"

you read my mind on Nolan. I would be shocked if he played any of the games he listed. Probably just a promo deal he signed up for and forgot about until he had to read the teleprompter.

i love his movies, should probably see tenet. Shit they got me!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
you read my mind on Nolan. I would be shocked if he played any of the games he listed. Probably just a promo deal he signed up for and forgot about until he had to read the teleprompter.

i love his movies, should probably see tenet. Shit they got me!

No shit, he never claimed to have played them or play videogames in general.

He said he finds it fascinating how videogames connect regular ("passive") storytelling with player choice driven, more immersive narrative style.

Which is an opinion he doesn't need to play games for.

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
No shit, he never claimed to have played them or play videogames in general.

He said he finds it fascinating how videogames connect regular ("passive") storytelling with player choice driven, more immersive narrative style.

Which is an opinion he doesn't need to play games for.

i would love to know his real opinion.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017

I doubt many have heard of Kenny Omega. I had to google him and I used to watch wwf back in the day. So it's pretty obvious why he would choose someone with stature of Nolan

OP
OP
Charred Knight
Oct 8, 2019
I doubt many have heard of Kenny Omega. I had to google him and I used to watch wwf back in the day. So it's pretty obvious why he would choose someone with stature of Nolan

AEW Dynamite gets over 900,000 viewers weekly, so his a known person by quite a lot of people. He even did work for Capcom playing Cody on the reveal trailer

Orson Welles certainly beats the pants off of Nolan in the "Give me money and I will talk about your product department

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
AEW Dynamite gets over 900,000 viewers weekly, so his a known person by quite a lot of people. He even did work for Capcom playing Cody on the reveal trailer

IF he isnt even in WWE I would suggest he is known by only harcore / niche audience

Clearly Nolan is a far bigger name hence reason why Geoff would be keen to have him on his show