• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's about twice as fast as Steam for me. And I'm over 5Ghz WiFi on PS5, and my PC is plugged via ethernet.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I DL'ed Control in like, 5-10 minutes? caught me offguard tbh, was crazy fast.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It runs circles around the Series X. I'm not talking pure download speed but install speeds as well. I can set something to DL like Control Ultimate, and have it ready to go not long after I put it into Rest Mode. Meanwhile XSX seems to take forever especially if you have another game open and then it slows to a snails pace.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Faster than Steam now. (Thanks Microsoft Azure!)

But why did it take 2 min for GoW to install a 150MB patch???

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is fast but it keeps having random DNS errors and quits the download until I start it again. I don't have this problem with any other device in my household.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have a question about this. How reliable or accurate is the built in "test connection speed" in the OS?

I use my PS5 with a netgear orbi, and I just switched from wifi to directly connected to the main router via ethernet. My download speed bounces between 250MB and 450 MB.

If i connect my laptop to ethernet and do a speed test, i get 650MB, which is what I pay comcast for. What's baffling to me is the PS5 download speed is close to the same as when I was wifi, though without hitting that high end of 450/480MB. On wifi the best I got was 350.

I definitely keep getting in the 250/350 range consistently in the tests on the ps5 though, only occasionally hitting up to 450. Is there another way to test download speeds?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Love how fast PSN is. I downloaded and installed God Of War in it's entirety in 18 minutes.
Meanwhile Live struggles big time and games takes hours. I am on FIOS Gigabit and the XBox does not even use 1/10th of the speed. I even put it in DMZ and restarted to see if it made a difference. Nope.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
But why did it take 2 min for GoW to install a 150MB patch???
GoW is still a PS4 game.

When new patch is downloaded, the OS creates a brand new copy of the game installation with data from that patch incorporated into desired location. When new installation is verified, the old installation is deleted. This is done so that old spinning HDDs can have easier time accessing data, reducing the need for drive head seeks.

This is why PS4 asks for bunch of free space on the drive, and same goes for PS5 BC titles. Native PS5 games will not need to use this tactics because they are made for SSD.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 downloads have been exponentially faster than my Series X downloads. It's kinda crazy and unexpected given the precedence from the previous generations.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because the ps4 had shit download speeds whereas the X1X was super fast.

Now, the ps5 is super fast and the XSX is slow as shit lol

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think PS4 download speeds may have been bottlenecked by the hard drive in some way, like it couldn't handle data coming in and being written faster than >50MB/s and would throttle down all the time. The PS5 is night and day better.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to think PS4 download speeds may have been bottlenecked by the hard drive in some way, like it couldn't handle data coming in and being written faster than >50MB/s and would throttle down all the time. The PS5 is night and day better.
I notice this when I install games on steam on my HD. Makes sense to me.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's funny because the ps4 had shit download speeds whereas the X1X was super fast.

Now, the ps5 is super fast and the XSX is slow as shit lol
I'm beginning to think there's some regional issue going on somewhere. The series X maxes out my connection, (340mb/s) and my PS5, whilst not showing the speed, isn't far off this.
I wonder if there's some localised CDN issue which is causing some of you to have slow downloads (alongside the people who don't realise the Series X throttles downloads whilst you have a game active)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Eh? God of War PS5 update was only 135mb. That should take me 2 seconds to download not 2 minutes.

But yes, a vast improvement over PS4 speeds here in the UK to my router via CAT6.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think there's some regional issue going on somewhere. The series X maxes out my connection, (340mb/s) and my PS5, whilst not showing the speed, isn't far off this.
I wonder if there's some localised CDN issue which is causing some of you to have slow downloads (alongside the people who don't realise the Series X throttles downloads whilst you have a game active)
when were you downloading I heard there was some xbox live issues 2 days ago

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Super fast, even while playing a game.

Series X is stupidly slow if you're playing a game, but also fast on standby

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

The CPU was the main limiting factor, both the X1 and Ps4 had throttled dl speeds to not exceed a specific limit.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
My downloads are faster than the blu-ray installations and I don"t think that the bandwidth of blu-rays is worse than my internet connection.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
when were you downloading I heard there was some xbox live issues 2 days ago
I've never had an issue with speed downloading on my Xbox but I have noticed a reoccurring thing on Era where people think their PS5 downloads significantly faster than their Series X.

That's not accurate in my case and there's so many variables about their local network setup that I just figured they had a crap setup at home or hadn't realised the console throttles speed when a game is active but as it keeps popping up I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't also a CDN issue localised to a few areas. I had a similar in the past when my ISP tried to cache popular YouTube videos inside its local network and killed any kind of quality playback for a few of us over a short period.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how it's so fast. I always thought it was my ISP holding me back before. Day 1 with the PS5 was such a pleasant surprise. My XBX is insanely slow by comparison. Not sure what magic is going on there.

same issue with XSX, but you know what? I think it's absolutely MS' fault. Download speeds from my PC (of course wired) using Game Pass it's also super slow.
They better fix it ASAP.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It is much faster than the Series X for me. And it's going over wireless compared to my Series X being connected via Cat6
Don't forget that you have to manually quit any games running in the background on the Xbox to get good download speeds. It will cut download speeds to around 10% of max if a game is running in the background. There's a future dashboard update that will warn you if this.

I have a 400Mbps connection.

I'm getting around 250 to 300Mbps average right now from my PS5.

I seem to get around 200 to 300Mbps on my Series X and it's a bit more variable than the PS5. Also it seems updates download a little slower than full games?

They're not too very different from one another for me.

Edit: my Xbox Series X download (Dirt 5) has evened out and is solidly 250Mbps.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's really, really quick. Deleting games is no longer something I don't like to do, since getting it back takes only a few minutes.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Wow, people getting crazy download speeds in here. PS5 and Series X are both the same for me and the same as PS4 and Xbox One were. I usually get 70-80 Mbps. I have Fios 75Mbps plan so I guess that sounds right.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
same issue with XSX, but you know what? I think it's absolutely MS' fault. Download speeds from my PC (of course wired) using Game Pass it's also super slow.
They better fix it ASAP.
Define "super slow". Also, if/when they are slow do you have a game "active" in the background? If you do, it will max out your download speeds to ~30Mbps.

My PS5 can get speeds up to ~800Mbps, so it does max it out higher than any of my Xboxes, but the XSX will get to around 500Mbps in my case. So it is slower, but not "super slow".

Dwinn7

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I'm getting insane download speeds. Which moderately decreases my annoyance with the limited storage.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I downloaded the 19gb outriders demo in 3 min so yeah...its really good but for some strange reason the dl speeds are way worse when you downloading a patch. Sometimes redownloading the full game is faster lol

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Much faster than PS4, for sure. My PS5 is wired, but I only get 200 - 300 mbps, which are wifi speeds at best. My router's up and down is consistently 900+ mbps. My desktop pulls 2-3x what the PS5 does on the same connection.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Download speeds sucks when you're playing a game vs when not playing a game. Even if you're not playing a game and it's running in the background, it'll slow the speed.

Tried with two PS5s side by side on the same connection. One was taking 30 minutes, the other 2 hours. Realized a game was running in the background, closed and it caught up real quick.

All wireless, btw.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They're crazy good. Shit downloads so fast for me.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
70-80mbit Wired or wlan, so bit under 1 10th of steam, 1gbit connection
Europeans 2nd class customers, unless it's digital game prices, then we #1

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Very fast. I only need it to stop telling me it's connected to a lan cable. I know, I'm the one that plugged it in.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Download speeds sucks when you're playing a game vs when not playing a game. Even if you're not playing a game and it's running in the background, it'll slow the speed.

Tried with two PS5s side by side on the same connection. One was taking 30 minutes, the other 2 hours. Realized a game was running in the background, closed and it caught up real quick.

All wireless, btw.
That will happen with even the best PC. The OS slows down the I/O resources for the download so that the performance of what you're playing isn't affected. Same reason why Steam pauses downloads by default when playing.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Both my PS5 and Series S max out my 200mbps connection and consistently download at 25MB/s. This is what heaven feels like. Sometimes I queue up downloads just to see them go.