• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I had an option to use lan cable but settled with wifi as its almost as fast with lan on my 1gbps internet. Glad Sony sorted this out.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty damn fast, I get consistently 25-30 megabytes a second on wifi which is pretty nice considering my internet is 500mbps. Massive difference over PS4. So glad Sony went with Wi-Fi 6. My only issue was slower speeds when the system was in my entertainment console, putting it outside in the open vertically fixed the speeds for me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty damn fast, I get consistently 25-30 megabytes a second on wifi which is pretty nice considering my internet is 500mbps. Massive difference over PS4. So glad Sony went with Wi-Fi 6. My only issue was slower speeds when the system was in my entertainment console, putting it outside in the open vertically fixed the speeds for me.

25-30 MB is like 250 mbit, which isnt that great if you are using wifi 6 on 500 mbit

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how everyone gets so much faster speed than me. I have 50 down and have NEVER exceeded 5 mbs on ps4 or ps5. Shit takes forever. Always has. Just north of Austin TX. I dont get it.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Part of the reason speeds are faster is due to the SSDs in the new console. Old platter drives have pretty slow read and write times so if you had fast internet you could be bottlenecked. Now that's not the case.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
When I got my PS4 at launch it had blazingly fast downloads.

It seemed every 3 months they got slower and slower.

I wonder if the network starts to throttle when the number of devices connected grows. So at launch you get amazing speeds that go down as more people get PS5s.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Its so fucking fast that I cant use it on 5ghz while the roomies are home cause it will DESTROY that connection and make it worthless. I have to use 2.4ghz so it doesnt eat up all the bandwidth. I wish there was a way to limit it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Reinstalled God of War in 3 minutes flat tonight. Gigabit internet, but yes, it's fucking insane that it actually maximizes it while my Series X crawls in comparison.

It's glorious.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's very good, the PS4 was horrible and inconsistent even on a good wifi connection and cable.

I don't even need a cable on the PS5, games download super fast even om the wifi.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Yeah, I've noticed this too!
I max out my 100 Mbps connection pretty much all the time
Whereas my XSX Maxes out at 30-70Mbps depending on the time
Steam is also Maxes out my connection

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
It is incredibly fast. It's an absolute far cry from the PS4. Gotta love modern networking equipment in the PS5. It's at times fastest than similarly sized downloads to my PC and both are wired.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I've been getting pretty good speeds. I'd say around 600-700mbps, similar to my Series X. I had that awful ethernet cable is unplugged glitch when I first set it up, but seems like since I reset my router it has not showed back up.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how everyone gets so much faster speed than me. I have 50 down and have NEVER exceeded 5 mbs on ps4 or ps5. Shit takes forever. Always has. Just north of Austin TX. I dont get it.
50mbits is 5-6MB/s.

Also, enjoy your fast internet. I get 1.5MB/s on a good day.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
PS5 downloads were fast at launch and do seem even faster now. It's a godsend since I'm constantly running out of space. I can easily redownload games after I delete them to make room for something else.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
I have 1000 mbits and yesterday I downloaded all psplus games really really fast.

Meanwhile steam never uses more than 50% of my speed and I don't know why

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
My speeds are great on ps5 but not that good on sx. Both are wired to.
Ps5 just maxs but sx fluctuates between a couple MB/s to 100+MB/s and back and forth.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 download speeds routinely max out my 300Mb connection but so did PS4. I have always hardwired my console though.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yup, stuff seems to be ready way faster than I expect it to be. I downloaded Control last night and 15min later I got a notification on my phone saying it was ready to play. I don't know if it only downloaded partially though, since it was only later on that I got a notification about the game being installed after I had already started playing.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It is incredibly fast. It's an absolute far cry from the PS4. Gotta love modern networking equipment in the PS5. It's at times fastest than similarly sized downloads to my PC and both are wired.

On wired, it's the same networking hardware as the ps4, gigabit ethernet. The main thing is though that the ps4 had a hard cap on download speeds because the fast downloads eat away cpu time (and obviously results in a lot of IO operation which stresses storage). PS4 typically wouldnt utilize more than 150-200 mbit of your connection. Even besides the hardware cap the background processes also affected the speed much more significantly than with the PS5.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh incredibly fast! Funnily enough was thinking the same thing yesterday when downloading Destruction All Stars, Control and GOW

WiFi here

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I've been getting pretty good speeds. I'd say around 600-700mbps, similar to my Series X. I had that awful ethernet cable is unplugged glitch when I first set it up, but seems like since I reset my router it has not showed back up.
Anything specific you've done to get the SX to be fast? Mine only utilizes the full speed of my internet if I plug it directly into the modem and bypass my router. Meanwhile my PS5 gets full speed no matter what.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Anything specific you've done to get the SX to be fast? Mine only utilizes the full speed of my internet if I plug it directly into the modem and bypass my router. Meanwhile my PS5 gets full speed no matter what.

Not that I'm aware of. I have it hard wired to a Gigabit switch (same as PS5) and that is fed right from the base node of my mesh network (Linksys Velop). Didn't do any sort of DMZ or anything like that.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
Yea, when it took hours to download one game on my PS4 (or speed picked up at random) I am getting consistent 100mb per sec on the PS5 which is great.

No reason to keep games on my PS5 because I can just redownlkad them in a instant. The SSD is more than enough in combination with the new game compression size on PS5.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
It is extremely fast. I live in Brazil and PS4 was god awful, but PS5 usually goes all the way on my bandwidth here (120 megabits but downloads like 15~16mb/s). I don't get these downloads speeds anywhere else and I use it on wifi. It made the less than 1TB SSD HD a non-issue.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yeh incredibly fast! Funnily enough was thinking the same thing yesterday when downloading Destruction All Stars, Control and GOW

WiFi here
I'm on WiFi as well. The wireless card on the PS5 is fucking LIGHTYEARS better than what we were dealing with in the prior generation. I feel zero need to run a cable through the house since it's so good now.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
I have gigabit internet, and usually see 100+MB/s in download speeds on the PS5, via WiFi. It's an insane upgrade over PS4 Pro, and consistently better than I get on Steam, via a wired connection.

I get why people want extra SSD space, but so far deleting + redownloading games has worked well for me, since it only takes a few minutes before the games are playable.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
WiFi here - can confirm. Control (50GB) downloaded in about 40min for me yesterday.

On PS4 we'd be talking at LEAST double that on a good day

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
I have no idea why mine slowed down suddenly these days. It might be my router but I didn't touch any settings at all so I'm not sure what to do

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, my PS actually takes advantage of my fiber hardwired internet for once. It's mostly been great.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the fastest internet in the world, far from it. I was surprised how quickly after I started downloading Control that my phone sent me a "Control is read to play" message. It feels about as fast as Steam on my end.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, much faster than it used to be on PS4. I got a 1 Gbit/s connection and it's not saturated but still in the 600-700 Mbit or so range. Pretty much on par with Steam. Good job, Sony!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
the fact that downloads don't slow down in the background when playing a game now is a literal godsend

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Unfortunately for me I'm fucked, my internet provider decided to put a restriction on PlayStation consoles since July due to Covid and now even though I have 1Gbps downloads are restricted to 2MB/s...

They refuse to reverse what they did and I can't change services due to having a 2 year contract with them. So now I'm stuck with games taking entire days to install while everyone else can download them in minutes :/