• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Downloading god of war and other huge updates takes 2 minutes tops. It was fast at launch (and night and day compared to PS4 era) but it seems incredibly good now.

wired obviously

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
God of War update isn't even half a gig so that's why it didn't take long.

Generally downloads do seem to be faster/more stable than PS4, no idea why but that is certainly a welcome change.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I got a 20 gb Apex update today in 7 minutes, no copying either.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
only weird thing about it is the network test is no way indicative of the actual speed.

Either way, the speed alone is worth the upgrade over the ps4.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I still usually download things when I'm not using the console, but judging on the notifications from the PlayStation app, things are usually ready very quickly relative to my experience with the PS4.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed this too today and thought I was going crazy. RE demo and Allstars were done super quick.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
only weird thing about it is the network test is no way indicative of the actual speed.

Either way, the speed alone is worth the upgrade over the ps4.

Yeah I've found the network test to be completely useless.

I downloaded all my PS+ games today in like less than 15 minutes. I couldn't believe it. PSN easily has the fastest downloads for me right now

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember at launch I was getting speeds better than Steam even which is insane. PS4 Pro was probably like half of my Steam speed lol

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how it's so fast. I always thought it was my ISP holding me back before. Day 1 with the PS5 was such a pleasant surprise. My XBX is insanely slow by comparison. Not sure what magic is going on there.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
PSNow on my PS5 has also been excellent for me- great image quality and imperceptible lag.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Almost maxes out my wired connection. I haven't played any actual PS5 games yet, but general performance improvements across the board (PSN store responsiveness, download speeds, load times etc) are the big win with the new gen.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
On ethernet I can do 50GB in 10 minutes

It's very good but it's half network and half SSD, you can now download games while playing others much faster too

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I literally started downloading Control Ultimate Edition, walked to my mailbox and back, the download was complete (fiber). Took maybe 7 minutes.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
I downloaded Batman AK and Mortal Kombat X, took roughly 7-10 mins a piece.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. On PS4 I used to assume I'd get 10 megabytes (80 megabits) per second on average on a good download (and I assume most long-term PS4 owners became aware that when a download is going slowly sometimes you can pause and resume and randomly just get a much better speed because the network decides it likes you now).

On PS5 I'm regularly hitting my connection's max speed (~250 megabits per second) so my assumption is that the PS5 could top that, if I got my speed increased.

Also PS Now seems to work more smoothly and Remote Play from the PS5 is a lot better than from the PS4 (haven't used it much, but after a disappointing first 20 seconds of macroblocky video, it flipped to a much clearer image with a fast response time, a highly noticeable step up from PS4).

Jan 10, 2019
the most important change from ps4 is that ps5 has full download speed even if a game is launched. So you playing 1 match in Apex and boom you have Control

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Does anyone know if Sony routes PS5s to a different data centre than PS4s ?
I know for a fact that my internet speed hasn't changed since 2019 but I feel like PS5 downloads are about twice as fast.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't sure if this was just me or what. Managed to download Control today in like 5 minutes which for a 25 GB download is nuts compared to PS4.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
Destruction Allstars was quite slow for me with multiple freezes, but everything else i've downloaded on ps5 has been super fast

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, games download in a few minutes at most. There was only one time where the download time was PS4 level slow and had to restart it to get decent speed.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's the fastest device on my network. Hardwired in on a gigabit line and games 50+ GB in size seem to take under 15-20 minutes. Series X is pretty fast too but it seems a bit less inconsistent, I'll see the downloads running between 150-600 Mbps.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, it has become one of the fastest devices on my network now, where the PS4 was one of the slowest.

On a gigabit connection, the PS5 can hit around 800+Mbps from what I've seen at the router. The Series X isn't a slouch, but even it usually tops out around 500Mbps for me.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Yes, I get around 500 Mbps consistently on my connection. It's even faster than my Series X, which for some reason is in the 250-370 Mbps range.