• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Whoa now. Scott Pilgrim is a great beat 'em up and I'd love to see it return on current platforms, but I'm side-eyeing anyone who goes so far as to say it's better than Streets of Rage 2, 3, and/or 4. It's not like it's way worse or anything, but it definitely isn't superior to them. (SP's soundtrack is far better than SoR 3's though, I'll give it that!)

The first Streets of Rage... perhaps, yeah. SoR 1 is still a good game but it hasn't aged nearly as well as its sequels.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, more people can see what an absolute slog this game is: it takes what feels like forever to even reach the first boss and you start off really underpowered (I don't like the money system).

The sprite work and music is wasted on it but it has reached mythic status just because it got delisted.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't just be relisting, please be a port to modern consoles and PC! I think it's fair to port beg in this instance.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
The more I read about this game's production, the more I realize it was hastily thrown together and it's a miracle that it wasn't a disaster.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Mentionings of the game in August 2020 is interesting though, because August 10th was 10th Anniversary of the game. It didn't release onto XBLA until August 25th 2010, though.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I would love a re-release/remaster of this game. I bought it for the 360 but didn't play it because the frame rates were really bad. I'd love to have it on modern hardware.

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed that I went through the first page without anyone laying blame on Anamanaguchi (even sarcastically).

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
7Z2Vd8c.jpg

I am ready to embark on this journey once again.

One of my all time favorites.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost time for the veil to be removed for everyone that missed out on it to realize it's actually a pretty middling beat 'em up at best.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
the scott pilgrim game was nice looking, but it wasn't very fun
this game has been talked up for so long that if it does get re-released all of the people who never have played it are going to be very disappointed that it's just an okay-ish beat em up
Sorry but no, in regards to move variety and mechanics, Scott Pilgrim is not better than most Streets of Rage games. Don't get me wrong, Scott Pilgrim is a nice game, but it heavily riffs off the River City Ransom formula without several core aspects that made River City Ransom noteworthy to begin with.
Cool, more people can see what an absolute slog this game is: it takes what feels like forever to even reach the first boss and you start off really underpowered (I don't like the money system).

The sprite work and music is wasted on it but it has reached mythic status just because it got delisted.
It's almost time for the veil to be removed for everyone that missed out on it to realize it's actually a pretty middling beat 'em up at best.

Friendly reminder that even objectively average games can have dedicated fan bases because it's more than the sum of its parts. Even if better beat em ups have come out since, the success of this game at that time actually introduced a whole new generation of kids to the beat em up genre. Not every game needs to be ground breaking or innovate a genre. It's simple, fun, and a visual/auditory treat.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

yep. glad it's coming back if it is for preservation purposes but the game plays like butt.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I thought it was Universal causing the issue with the game rereleasing, since it's technically a "Movie Game".

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that even objectively average games can have dedicated fan bases because it's more than the sum of its parts. Even if better beat em ups have come out since, the success of this game at that time actually introduced a whole new generation of kids to the beat em up genre. Not every game needs to be ground breaking or innovate a genre. It's simple, fun, and a visual/auditory treat.
I know. I'm not talking to people who have played it, I'm setting expectations for those that haven't and have had the game built up to be something much better than it actually is because of the talk surrounding it since its delisting. People have had huge regrets over missing it, and until it's available again I'll say from my own experience that they shouldn't and aren't missing out on much. Listen to the OST and play Double Dragon Neon or Streets of Rage 4 instead.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
. Listen to the OST and play Double Dragon Neon or Streets of Rage 4 instead.
Ehhh while I enjoyed DDN Id say SP was more enjoyable. The OST was fire but it had some irritating decisions on some stages and the game itself felt a bit clunky.

I cant say anything bad about SoR4 tho that game is potential goat in the genre.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Hopefully it happens for preservation's sake. It's a fun little game let down by some of its design but elevated all the same by it's aesthetics. Middling at best 'em up, though.

I wonder if they do end up re-releasing this if it'd come with the DLC. Knives and the extra modes would make sense but I recall there being some controversy with the Wallace DLC involving plagiarized spritework.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
hell yes, still salty i missed out on the window for the DLC back then too, ugh. hope the vinyl OST gets a repressing one day as well.

this + double dragon neo are so very high on my physical want list, along with a collection featuring alien vs predator

I wonder if they do end up re-releasing this if it'd come with the DLC. Knives and the extra modes would make sense but I recall there being some controversy with the Wallace DLC involving plagiarized spritework.

oh? first ive heard of it, damn

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sure fucking hope so. It was just a goofy River City knockoff with the Mario 3 overworld, but it was fun as shit and the soundtrack was dope.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I always felt like the game was a novelty.

It was, like, too much of a dream ticket that didn't really add up to the sum of its parts: a River City Ransom Scott Pilgrim game with the Baby Pirate guy doing sprites and Anamanaguchi holding down the soundtrack.

I played it enough to get tired of it. But in the best way: I had like 3 houses full of like 12 friends and we played local 4-player this shit to death.

I'm happy to see so many people excited for the game, but I honestly don't really care too much for it in retrospect.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Ha ok. I thought I was the only one who thought the game was boring but nice looking.

It should be available for those that want it though.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
They gave us a lot of fun, it just takes way too long to get the upgrades. When you start your characters are way too damn slow.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Loved the game back in the day but it definitely felt a bit rough around the edges. I remember things being rather glitchy and sometimes certainly sequences didn't work properly.

Also didn't like that the game didn't tell you what food items did to your stats, but I still ended up maxing out stats on most of the characters via guides.

Still a good time nonetheless.