• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
It will be rough coming off the greatness of Yakuza 2, but its still a good title.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread OP! I'm a few hours before the end of Kiwami 2 and thinking about picking up the Remastered Collection while still on sale on PSN.

Judging by some of the responses I'd be better off playing Judgment (which already is in my backlog) instead though and then jump straight to Like a Dragon.

Last edited:

udllpn

Oct 28, 2017
Just one question: after playing 0, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2, would it be OK to simply jump to Yakuza 6? Will I lose a lot of context? I know it is not ideal, but I don't know if I will have the heart to play 3-5, being such old and long games, so I would like to know how much would I miss. I you tell me not to do it, I will push forward with 3 and the rest.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
That is exactly what I am doing right now (finished Kiwami 2 after 2 years and got the remastered collection) and playing 3 reminds me of how much of an upgrade the dragon engine has been. No loading in between street fights, no loading going in out and out of buildings, the ability to set street markers, it goes on and on BUT Yakuza 3 was the first Yakuza I ever played so for me personally going through the remaster is worth it despite the step backs from the remake that preceded its release.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Glad I did a search, as I'm having a damn time trying to figure this out.

It's time for me to finally get into the Yakuza series. I own Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Remastered Collection (3-5 for PS3, remastered for PS5) and Yazkua 6.

On PSN at the moment, Yakuza 0 is $4.99 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 is $12.99. Going to grab them because why not?

My plan is to play them in the following order:

Kiwami > Kiwami 2 > 3 Remastered > 4 Remastered > 5 Remastered > 0 > 6 > Like a Dragon

I wish I had an easier way of playing the original two PS2 games, as I like seeing the grown of a series as time goes on. But I probably put the intended story order over that.

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

It's time for me to finally get into the Yakuza series. I own Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Remastered Collection (3-5 for PS3, remastered for PS5) and Yazkua 6.

On PSN at the moment, Yakuza 0 is $4.99 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 is $12.99. Going to grab them because why not?

Kiwami > Kiwami 2 > 3 Remastered > 4 Remastered > 5 Remastered > 0 > 6 > Like a Dragon

I wish I had an easier way of playing the original two PS2 games, as I like seeing the grown of a series as time goes on. But I probably put the intended story order over that.
I highly recommend you start with zero then go in sequence.

May 15, 2019

If you're trying to follow release order as best you can make sure you skip the Majima Saga in Kiwami 2, it's a new short story they added that follows up on things from Yakuza 0. There's a few other 0 references they added in the Kiwamis but they're pretty minor, mainly a couple karaoke songs, and some of the minigames that weren't in the PS2 originals make references to related side content in 0.

Sep 15, 2020
I have a soft spot for Okinawa after traveling there so that helped. But as a game no it was fine especially to learn more about the story.

Beat it already but might try to wrap up the premium adventure on the PS5

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you say that? I generally will always play or watch prequels in release order because it was never actually meant to be before the first game or movie.
They added new cutscenes and context in Kiwami and Kiwami 2 based on zeros story. And based on your statement above zero came first, then Kiwami and finally Kiwami 2.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you say that? I generally will always play or watch prequels in release order because it was never actually meant to be before the first game or movie.
Your thinking is completely logical but because they made Kiwami and Kiwami 2 after 0 there are references to it. Also I just think 0 is an amazing game that gives a good set up for the characters in the series.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
The jump from 0/Kiwami to Kiwami 2 has been incredible, personally. I assume that most of the changes are carried directly from 6, but so far this is everything I would want from a new Yakuza game. 0 and Kiwami in comparison felt like they were "stuck" into the ps3 era of Yakuza. On paper it doesn't even seem like the changes from Kiwami 1 and 2 are massive. Aside from the massively improved visuals, the changes are small but as a whole feel significant. Things like the better map and UI, the absence of loading screens when entering a building, the levelling up system that's designed to compel you to explore the city, the slightly different feel of the combat, and even small differences like having the default speed in town be walking instead of running. Everything contributes to making the game more immersive and addicting than ever.

So... will it feel bad to follow it up with 3 and 5?
For me the issue is Kiryu went from looking sleek and cool to Dead eyed huge handed monstrosity. The environments look okay the models are hideous plus richards dialogue do not start me on that.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018

I'm also about to start the series and was going to start with 0, but based on the feedback throughout this thread, I've started wondering if original release order since PS3 era (or close to it) would be better:

3R —> 4R —> 5R —> 0 —> K —> K2 —> 6

That way I'm not going backward in regards to QOL improvements, graphics, and mechanics. But I guess I then run the risk of getting burnt out on the "bad" games in the series before getting to the ones that are universally loved with 0—>K2.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Play 0 first!!! Kiwami and Kiwami 2 have various new side stories that are meant to to be played after 0. They very much function as sequels to 0.

Also 0->1 is going to have more impact IMO on the main story than 1->0 due to various reasons I won't spoil.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Your thinking is completely logical but because they made Kiwami and Kiwami 2 after 0 there are references to it. Also I just think 0 is an amazing game that gives a good set up for the characters in the series.
Play 0 first!!! Kiwami and Kiwami 2 have various new side stories that are meant to to be played after 0. They very much function as sequels to 0.

Also 0->1 is going to have more impact IMO on the main story than 1->0 due to various reasons I won't spoil.

Damn, what a weird series.

Maybe I will start with 0. I suppose that won't make going from Kiwami 2 to 3 Remastered any more weird than it already is, right?

I can't imagine playing 3-5 Remastered before everything else though. That just seems weird in terms of story.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Going to echo the "play 0 before Kiwami 1 & 2" sentiments. So much of Kiwami hits harder if you've played 0 beforehand.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I just beat Yakuza 3 actually. Like an hour ago. It's not rough in terms of gameplay or combat - it's still Yakuza. But the side content was meh. Skipped most of it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Okay, 0 first then. My new play order:

0 > Kiwami > Kiwami 2 > 3 Remastered > 4 Remastered > 5 Remastered > 6 > Like a Dragon

I'll probably end up throwing Judgment in there if I'm enjoying the series enough.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, what a weird series.

Maybe I will start with 0. I suppose that won't make going from Kiwami 2 to 3 Remastered any more weird than it already is, right?

I can't imagine playing 3-5 Remastered before everything else though. That just seems weird in terms of story.
Once you get around to Kiwami you'll be glad you played 0 before, it will make sense!
Most importantly, go at your own pace. Going through the serie is by no mean a small feat, not only because of the amount of entries but also because they're very heavy on story so, you don't wanna burn yourself out.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Once you get around to Kiwami you'll be glad you played 0 before, it will make sense!
Most importantly, go at your own pace. Going through the serie is by no mean a small feat, not only because of the amount of entries but also because they're very heavy on story so, you don't wanna burn yourself out.

Oh, yeah. I don't think I'll do them one immediately after the other. Just wanna make sure I'm starting off at the right place though, so 0 it is.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hope it's not too bad. I played Kiwami 2 on PC last summer and was pretty impressed how nice the graphics looked. Going from those graphics to Yakuza 3 certainly will be noticeable, but looking forward to getting back into Yakuza once the collection hits Game Pass.

Trucy Wright

Dec 15, 2020
I'm in the minority that liked yakuza 3 over 2 lol

technically it would be a bit rough but dad sim Kiryu and best daughter Haruka will ease it off fast :')