• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I'm one of the poor saps who didn't win the F5 game when next gen preorders opened up, and I've more or less resigned myself to not getting a Series X or PS5 digital before early next year. There's no way I'm paying $200-$300 over MSRP for a video card.

Of the three consoles, only the Switch is readily available, and it is selling at a record-setting pace even before the holidays start.

Do you think there's any point this fall where I could just walk into a Target or Best Buy (US) and just find a console sitting on shelves, or will they just never have physical inventory in a practical sense? I haven't tried to get a console at launch since the original Gamecube, I don't remember what it's like to scramble.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
At this point I am not even sure whether stores will be allowed to open during that time in my country if the numbers keep rising.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
You might be able to find one at a more rural shop that carries game stuff. Recall that being a trick that worked for people who wanted a Switch on launch day.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I hope I'll actually be able to pick up an XSX in store in Germany at launch. It's a gamble I know but it wouldn't be the end of the world to wait another week or so.

Jul 10, 2020
At this rate, malls are gonna close again.

Best Buy, Targets, GameStops, it's all gonna be curb-side pickup come Holiday season.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Busy city store? Probably not.
Small town 'mom and pop' stores. Maybe.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I managed to get 2 pre-orders and will still be there for the Day 1 craziness. I wanna be in one of those rampaging gifs.

But I doubt that'll be allowed due to covid. Sad face.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
That is my hope and wish. I know I'm working on the day that the Series X releases. So my hope is that either 1. Best Buy allows me to order online and pick up in store, or 2. Best Buy will still have remaining stock once I get around that way around 4:30, 5:00.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
If I remember right, when the xbox one and ps4 launched, best buy had a stockpile set aside for people who didn't preorder. That might be your best bet if you want one launch day

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Depending on where you live, finding one in a store could be possible. You'll have better luck just finding something via online retailers when they go up though. Just get on Twitter and turn on alerts for Wario64 and Cheap Ass Gamer.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
you-are-already-dead-meme.jpg

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
If the holiday season doesn't beat you to it, the increasing restrictions if COVID cases keep consistently skyrocketing (depending on where you live) will.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If I remember right, when the xbox one and ps4 launched, best buy had a stockpile set aside for people who didn't preorder. That might be your best bet if you want one launch day
I will probably try this.

Depending on where you live, finding one in a store could be possible. You'll have better luck just finding something via online retailers when they go up though. Just get on Twitter and turn on alerts for Wario64 and Cheap Ass Gamer.

I don't know if I could handle the sheer number of non-inventory related tweets in my stream.

If the holiday season doesn't beat you to it, the increasing restrictions if COVID cases keep consistently skyrocketing (depending on where you live) will.

I'm in MA, we're mostly good.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if sony's shipping projections are true and it's still neigh impossible to pre order online then... yeah...

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
No fucking way with the 3000 series cards lol. Supply is too limited and demand is too high. I'm hoping to get a 3080 for Christmas, but I'm not getting my hopes up whatsoever.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I dont know about new consoles but I wanna get a Switch.

Hoping that I can at least order a Switch from Best Buy or Target whomever has the better deal and availability for shipping otherwise....

There's a target literally less than a mile from my home and BB is like 3 miles away.

I just want a Switch :(

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Not unless you hungry. Ever since the Wii, you've seen how this launch day life works. With a pandemic going on it may be even more desperate. Stay safe over everything. You'll get on before the year is over.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
AMD is apparantly going to have quite some stock available for zen 3 and RDNA2 later this year

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I got a Series X reservation and signed up for like 46 in stock alert websites for the PS5.

if that doesn't pan out, I'll hide in the bushes at Best Buy and jack someone for their PS5. With my luck, it'll be the all digital one!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
There will be in store stock available day one. If you wait until morning to walk in they will be gone. It'll be a wait in line all night and pray a store employee hands out tickets early so you can sleep in your car and not freeze to death situation.

With advertising finally kicking off I'm still hoping stores do another round of preorders.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
If you're willing to go to a store as soon as it opens you should be good. I went to a best buy an hour before midnight launch and was able to get a Switch with no pre order.

Edit: iirc they had 150 Switches. 75 pre-ordered and 75 for walk-ins. Just hope that will be the same allocation for XSX and PS5 and you might be alright.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I honestly dont think it will be possible to get a PS5
Based on what they are going for on eBay the supply is no where close to meeting demand

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I think most times it's scoped up whenever it hits the shelves. I don't agree that it's just scalpers. Lots of legit customers are competing with you bc they want it for themselves or just as a gift.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Once they launch you should be able to place an order online. Now when it gets shipped... who knows.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Largely ignoring the pandemic for this question (yes, it's going to affect supply and demand), it can also depend on where you live. I know it's not the same as a next generation console, but my area still has copies of Super Mario 3D All Stars while my boyfriend's area is totally out. But yeah, the holidays and all that. I can only hope that, for a next generation console, sellers are careful not to sell ten of them to a single scalper at once. It won't deter the more strategic buyers, but it's something.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Good luck walking into any store for the first 4-6 months after launch. Was working at walmart after the ps4 launched in electronics and it was a joke how often we got called about for ps4's and how we almost never got them in stock.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said best bet is probably find an out of the way retailer. I'll try my luck at a GameStop near me that I know is lower traffic .

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
It's scalp city out there, SCALP CITY.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know about new consoles but I wanna get a Switch.

Hoping that I can at least order a Switch from Best Buy or Target whomever has the better deal and availability for shipping otherwise....

There's a target literally less than a mile from my home and BB is like 3 miles away.

I just want a Switch :(

It might be worth getting the AC one, it's pretty easy to track down right now (as of this post it also looks like Gamestop has the "regular" one in stock too).

I'd jump on these before the holiday season really kicks into high ear because who knows what the stock situation will look like in a month or two.

Nintendo Switch Pre-order & In Stock Tracker - Animal Crossing: New Horizons Special Edition Switch - NowInStock.net

Looking for Nintendo Switch but having no luck? Maybe our FREE Nintendo Switch In Stock Tracker can help!

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
where I live there is plenty of xboxes available still to order.

Spot778

Sep 1, 2019
For the PS4 launch I lined up at local WalMart 30 minutes before they opened and was able to grab one without a pre-order