• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I can understand taking issue with defending exclusives, but the "Gotcha!" for something he said that's contradictory 6 years prior is so petty. 6 years is a long time, and that's not even a significant, personality-defining opinion at all. I've seen people change much more drastic opinions in far less time.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
It would be rather silly to judge an entire group of people just because someone has a different opinion then they did six years ago.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an anti-consumer move, no way around it.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really for the thing you're pointing out there but I've checked out because of review score bloat. 1-6 is unplayable, 7 is okay, 8-10 is good. Not how it should be. Most games getting the top three ratings should be a red flag. But it makes more business sense for the sites to contribute to a hype train. There are individual reviewers at outlets big and small who are talented and have interesting perspectives but I feel overall that the medium is suffering because of the desperation of the industry at large.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan McCaffrey isn't the best example to hold up. He is still a huge Elon Musk/Tesla stan and blocks anyone that tries to explain that Musk is a real dirtbag.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
So you're holding to task the entire gaming press because one guy said something that contradicts something he said six years ago...

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah uh I wouldnt take it too seriously. It was the same with magazines back in the day. If you are ascribing them any authority, you're doing it wrong.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
As with media coverage of any industry, there are personalities and journalists with integrity and consistency... and then there's the 99.9% that comprises everyone else.

That doesn't mean the 99.9% doesn't have something to offer or that their word can't be trusted, however. The problem comes in when people elevate people and put them on a pedestal and hold them to some unrealistic standard that they never asked to be held to in the first place. Especially in highly competitive marketplaces such as this one.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
he was right though. making this exclusive on Xbox didn't help sell more Xbox consoles nor more copies of the game, and the financial payoff was probably not worth it. nobody won!

Gamasutra - Rise of the Tomb Raider, and the dubious benefit of a console exclusive

"Unfortunately I think it was probably not enough to make up for the lost opportunity," said David Cole, founder and CEO of research firm DFC Intelligence. "Anything under $100 million is probably a bad deal for Square-Enix, and I doubt Microsoft paid anywhere near that amount."

The PlayStation 4 holds a clear lead in today's current-gen console market, with over 35 million units sold. When a company doesn't launch its game on PS4, it's skipping a large, engaged audience. Cole estimates that the total revenue lost for not releasing Rise on PS4 is somewhere in the $150 million range—and even more in the long term.

"The problem with exclusives in today's market is you have a clear market leader," Cole said. "So if you are not on that platform, you lose a major market opportunity and it would take a lot for Microsoft or another competitor to reimburse you for lost opportunities."

also, this thread doesn't make any sense

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly don't even follow major gaming sites anymore for about 5 or more years now. I kinda shifted over to youtubers and some influencers since their tastes line up with mine.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Based on the Tweets in the OP, not sure what's the issue. He says Final Fantasy exclusive is a huge get (a win if you will) for Sony, which ain't wrong. Years ago he said Tomb Raider exclusivity is a win for Xbox (not sure if it was tbh). I'd much prefer any games being available on multiple platforms, but it's true that exclusives benefit the companies rather than the consumers. So what's the issue. He didn't say anything about FF exclusivity benefitting the consumer, unless I missed it.

So my answer to the OP is nope. Choosing between journalists and randos on twitter/forums for my gaming reporting and takes, I'll go with journalists.

Last edited:

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to find a single person out of a giant subset of notable reviewers who had an opinion change across half a dozen years.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
he was right though. making this exclusive on Xbox didn't help sell more Xbox consoles nor more copies of the game, and the financial payoff was probably not worth it. nobody won!

Gamasutra - Rise of the Tomb Raider, and the dubious benefit of a console exclusive

also, this thread doesn't make any sense
I think the problem was launching it the same day as Fallout 4 and during a crowded market (Call of Duty and all those games also released). The exclusivity didn't help it because it was also on a console that was still trying to win back people after a bad start.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of (major) video game reviewers only seem to exist to reinforce the corporate status quo. It's fairly unique in that regards in media journalism. You don't really see many big film, theatre or music reviewers making excuses for shitty practices like that. It's basically why I quit the games journalism business, because at some point I wasn't expected to actually write critical articles, just articles praising whatever Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo had done this time.

Critical game journalism does exist and is very important, but people like this Ryan McGaffrey are unfortunately the vast majority.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The issue lies not with the press in generell here but with Ryan McCaffrey who has always been questionable.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Given the thread's framing being about the state of the industry but the OP targeting just a single games writer utilizing random tweets from a handful of unknowns, it's clear the intent of this thread is just to dunk on one person rather than actually discuss the potential mismatch between audiences and games writers. As such, the thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.