• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Greetings CrisisEra

I've written a similar thread before detailing my work situation, so I'll keep it brief this time.

I was moved to a position at work where I am expected to handle both customer support for over 500 accounts all on my own while handling sales and presentation for the company.

Needless to say, it was been absolutely stressful.

The good news is, I have been able to generate a decent amount of savings. It's not a high paying job, but for Miami's notoriously low standards , it gets me by.

However, in the midst of our current situation, I've had more time to think about where I'm going in life, and not having a degree will always be a hindrance to my future goals.

It doesn't matter if I handled Business Development solo, most companies will trash my resume without a degree.

As I layed awake last night with another episode of insomnia, it occurred to me that I have enough saving to quit, dedicate my full schedule to this upcoming semester, and finally knock out my associate's degree, which I had gotten close to.

Has anyone here made a similar decision? Did it end up working out?

I just really need to get the fuck out of the customer/client support field, and without a degree, it simply is not possible.

Oct 30, 2017
yeah, and what happens when you get that degree and are still sitting around waiting for a job offer? exactly how long can you stretch your savings?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, sounds like you're getting taken advantage!

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
What happens when you graduate, and possibly don't get an offer for a long time?

And what kind of savings are we talking about? It is not wise to dip into something like a 401(k) unless it's a true emergency.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to myself, but one of my closes friends did this. She had a relatively stable job making ~46k in Pittsburgh (lower cost of living), but she felt she wanted to get into marketing and wanted her MBA.
She quit work, went full time student for 2.5 years. At first, it was a struggle since being back to a college budget and lifestyle while being an adult isn't anyone's ideal situation. But she managed to graduate.

First year out, terrible. Low paying job, new degree, hating her life.
Second year, moved to Texas, much better job, still not the pay she wanted or expected.
Currently, not making the 90k she was told in school she could expect, but she has a much happier life and better work-life balance.
Financially, she is in debt about 150k in her early 30s, so that is a huge set back.

I'd say it kinda worked out? Happier but in debt. Also, she didn't do this during a recession and pandemic....so if I were you, I'd give it a year before you pull the trigger.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Education is better than a job aside from the fact that it doesnt pay your bills. Unfortunately it is hard to advise you on this matter.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, an Associate's degree on its own is not much better than a High School diploma for most employers. It usually goes: HS Diploma - > Bachelor's degree - > SOME Master's (most don't do much) - > Law/Medical degree (where you simply cannot practice the job w/out a specialized graduate degree)

You might be better off keeping your job and working towards a Bachelor's part time w/ night classes, etc. I don't recommend an online only degree if it's not from a reputable college, Pheonix and alot of the online programs you see on TV aren't worth shit in the real world.

Best of luck to you

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You're not crazy. Higher ed sees a boost during recessions for this reason. Bad economy makes a lot of people think about skilling up so they can avoid the chop, especially in some fields.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
You should do both. If you must choose - keep the job. I'm biased as I've gotten by surprisingly well in the corporate world since leaving a state college with only an associates degree 15 years ago.

OP
OP
J_Viper

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies so far.

Really it's just me not being able to handle the field I'm in anymore. I've been doing customer support shit since out of high school and I'm sick of it. I need to do something else.

I'm only getting paid $37k currently, it's not a lot considering they're making me handle two or three positions. Debt doesn't really bother me either since I have no plans to buy a house, or do anything family related. I'm fine with the knowledge that I'll die before paying it off.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'd still be careful in this climate and only do one or two online courses while working.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Your job sounds awful. I would be looking for something else whether you start school or not. Maybe you can get a part time job doing something you'd like better while you pursue completion of your degree?

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
my brother went to med school at 35. graduated last year. he couldn't be happier, and the money is just a bonus. You only live once so it's worth doing something you actually like doing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, if your going to do it, you should try for a 4 year degree.

I would say to try and do both if possible. Maybe ask for less responsibility at work so you can work less hours, but at least keep a job if possible.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I quit my job to finish my degree, but this was back in 2012 and I was living with my parents. Me recommending it depends on the situation and if you have the means to do it. I don't know if I'd recommend it just for an associate's, though.

When I was going for my B.S., it was right after my dad died. Between helping my mom with the house and taking care of the rest of my siblings, working for peanuts at Target, and expecting to commute to class (45 mins one way), I don't know how I would have the time for anything. My federal student loans provided a refund of about $3k-$4k each semester, and I used that to quit my job and live off of. Fortunately, it worked out in my favor, but it could also have been disastrous considering I have to repay that money I used.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I can't suggest it's smart to duck out of a job right now, but if you've got the savings to last a long time then there are probably dumber things to do.

I would probably keep building that safety net for another year or so and do it once the world is a bit more straightened out.

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
I think the answer to the question lies in what you'll be majoring in and if it's an in-demand field with employers hurting for workers.

I'm stuck in sorta the same situation where my job pays well enough but leaves virtually no time for schooling. However, I've decided I'm going to make a good faith effort to self-study something from home over the Internet; probably coding from freecodecamp or Salesforce certs or something.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Is working full-time/part-time and going to school part-time an option?

What kind of degree are you interested in pursuing?

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
All I will say is that if you do this, you need to stick with it and finish it out. I quit the family business to go back to school. I did really well my first year back but decided I couldn't afford to do another year of student loans, so I came back to the family business. Nine years later I've still got a student loan payment and I still don't have a degree.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
As someone who works in higher education, I would absolutely advise against quitting your job for an associate's degree that may or may not lead to a better job.

You sound like you're close to finishing, within a semester? So 5 or 6 classes? Can you take classes online or at night for a year or so and finish? I think that would put you in a much stronger position.

Like someone said, a bachelor's degree for most fields is becoming the expected norm. I would just be really cautious in this environment about quitting a job. If you lost your job, sure go back to school. If you've got a job and can conceivably keep it and go to school, even if it's for a longer period of time, do that.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm a lazy ass who lives in Brazil and pay rent, I make enough money to live comfortably in my lifestyle (collecting comics and games), but I could never leave a job willingly if it wasn't for another job. I can't afford being unemployed at all, and I need safety in my life to keep going.

That said, if you can, do what you think is best for you, but think about if you'll be able to get a job in the time your savings have dried up. I wouldn't want anyone in a job they hate or are being taken advantage of, but I also wouldn't want that person to suffer unemployment for a long time.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I made a similar decision, left my cushy pharma job and went to law school. Ended up graduating law school in arguably the worst legal market imaginable. It took a long time to find my footing and I am doing okay financially but I can't say I love the law. As a counterpoint, I will say that I have friends who went to grad school and love their new careers. A lot depends on how quickly you get started in your career post graduation and being cognizant of the work life balance that your new career demands.

OP
OP
J_Viper

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
thank you again for the further responses!

I don't believe my job has any part time employees, though if they would make an exception, I'd sure consider it. Taking one class at a time while I work full time is would take too long. I'll be 27 in November, so I'd rather get it done ASAP.

What I'm thinking is I can go full time this semester, then when January rolls around I can start working again and take on a smaller amount of credits. Of course there's a risk of not finding something, but seeing as how I'm very unhappy with my current spot, I think I'm willing to take it.

I have savings to last me beyond January worst case.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I have savings to last me beyond January worst case.

I think the problem is that that isn't the worst case.
Worst case is...you quit your job. Go to school. Get your degree....and then can't find another job for...how long? In this economy? Maybe another year isn't some crazy speculation.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I would not quit a job in this economic environment, sadly. The semester to do that would have been last fall, and hopefully landing a job by Jan/Feb.

Does the current job offer money towards education benefits?

If so, stick it out and get them to pay.

If they require you to stay X months after footing the bill, have them pay the bulk but pay that last semester yourself so you can immediately start job searching once the degree is in your hand.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that shit, go to school part time and keep that job.

Go as many credits as you can take and afford, as close to full time as you can get. Take online courses so you can get there. Go to class in winter and summer semesters to keep pace/catch up. But I wouldn't quit that job if it keeps your lights on. Do what you have to do in order to do both.

Oct 30, 2017
Coincidentally, I'm in the process of applying to my local community college to start an associate's degree in software development. I'm interested in an eventual career transition, but I won't be giving up my current job until I've complete the program and have a job lined up. Which I've come to accept could take years. I'll try freelance or contract work once I have my degree just so I can build up my experience. But I can't pursue a new degree with the idea I can just flip a switch and just start anew.

I certainly support you in wanting a quality of life change, just do it smartly.

OP
OP
J_Viper

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys

Yeah if my company had tuition reimbursement, it would be much easier to stick around, but they don't have any program like that.

I've looked into finding another position, one where I'm not as constantly stressed, but without a degree, its impossible