• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Disney pulled a page out of Squareenix's FFXV design playbook and decided to explain it outside the movies/source on why it was unstable.
Ah yes I remember when Obi-Wan showed us how they make lightsabers in the OT or PT. Or why a color of a lightsaber was pertaining to that person.

Remember when they explained what the Clone Wars was in the OT?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
According to what I've seen, yes. LF had many things that originated in the PT including games(Battlefront 2, Bounty Hunter, Republi Commando, etc.), the clone wars cartoon that everyone loves, Darth Plagueis story and many more. Even the old republic is inspired from the PT worldbuilding.

The clone wars animated series is just icing on the cake.

Ive yet to see anything derived from the ST to inspire interest
The Mandalorian. Battlefront 2. A multitude of novels and comics. WE literally have multiple ST era shows on the way.
Like fam what are you talking about? And you projecting your own lack of interest onto the general audience of three billion dollar movies?

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If my uncle and grandfather both lost at least one limb to a light saber, I might be tempted to add a hilt to mine too.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The current most popular piece of SW media is basically a prequel to the ST and has gone out of its way multiple times to explain some things from that era. And I doubt they'd sign off on stuff like Rangers of the New Republic if there wasn't new content interest.
I don't think anyone is watching The Mandalorian more for its attempts to explain the setup for the sequels than for its connections to the other trilogies and animated shows. The impetus for audience interest is absolutely not the show's secondary explanations for the poorly established worldbuilding of the sequels.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone is watching The Mandalorian more for its attempts to explain the setup for the sequels than for its connections to the other trilogies and animated shows. The impetus for audience interest is absolutely not the show's secondary explanations for the poorly established worldbuilding of the sequels.
One of if not literally the biggest question asked post finale involved the last Jedi. Characters not stiffly bogging us down with exposition like in the prequels does not=poor world building. The same way it was in the OT. Those films aren't plot driven. Or at least, TFA and TLJ aren't.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The current most popular piece of SW media is basically a prequel to the ST and has gone out of its way multiple times to explain some things from that era. And I doubt they'd sign off on stuff like Rangers of the New Republic if there wasn't new content interest.
Mandalorian might be a ST prequel, but from what Ive seen from it the big things from Mando that got people excited were elements from the OT/PT(Ahsoka, Bo Katan, Grogu, Luke, etc.). And on this very board some people were complaining that it was too reliant on nostalgia.

In fact it was a thread a few days ago
www.resetera.com

Forbes Contributor: Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ Has Been Swallowed Whole By Nostalgia (The Mandalorian S2 spoilers)

There’s no reason to believe Thrawn is back. If you’re looking for Ezra the first thing you’d do is interrogate underlings of Thrawn to see if he has made any communications.

To beclear though Mandalorian is a very good show, but the most interestings elements of the show didnt originate from the ST. However I might have exagerated with the any content comment. The point of what I keant to say that the ST worldbuilding is inferior to the PT/OT by a large margin.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mandalorian might be a ST prequel, but from what Ive seen from it the big things from Mando that got people excited were elements from the OT/PT(Ahsoka, Bo Katan, Grogu, Luke, etc.). And on this very board some people were complaining that it was too reliant on nostalgia.

www.resetera.com

Forbes Contributor: Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ Has Been Swallowed Whole By Nostalgia (The Mandalorian S2 spoilers)

There’s no reason to believe Thrawn is back. If you’re looking for Ezra the first thing you’d do is interrogate underlings of Thrawn to see if he has made any communications.

To beclear though Mandalorian is a very good show, but the most interestings elements of the show didnt originate from the ST. However I might have exagerated with the any content comment. The point of what I keant to say that the ST worldbuilding is inferior to the PT/OT by a large margin.

but all of this is after the fact.

you were trying to say everybody wanted MORE PT when it released when it wasn't really the case,

every love the PT era receives right is concequence of George stuborness in not abandoning that era, and dedicate 10 years plus of content to it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

www.resetera.com

Again, literally the biggest question from the finale is a direct result of the ST. The Mandalorian expands on all three trilogies, but it is first and foremost a sequel era show that acts as a prequel. Despite not being advertised that way. And we're getting more from that era. It's ok to be wrong when someone calls out your hot take.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
The Mandalorian. Battlefront 2. A multitude of novels and comics. WE literally have multiple ST era shows on the way.
Like fam what are you talking about? And you projecting your own lack of interest onto the general audience of three billion dollar movies?

The Mandalorian is closely tied to the OT and PT given the characters that have shown up are exclusively from those eras. Nothing from the ST even existed yet. The story of battlefront 2 doesn't tie in to the sequels until the end I believe since most of it has to do with operation cinder. All of the new shows take place in the immediate aftermath of Episode VI, trying them to the OT, not the ST, though I'm assuming Ashoka might be the first place we see hints of the ST with her traveling to the unknown regions, where we might see Sloane, Hux's dad, and maybe Snoke.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The Mandalorian is closely tied to the OT and PT given the characters that have shown up are exclusively from those eras. Nothing from the ST even existed yet. The story of battlefront 2 doesn't tie in to the sequels until the end I believe since most of it has to do with operation cinder. All of the new shows take place in the immediate aftermath of Episode VI, trying them to the OT, not the ST, though I'm assuming Ashoka might be the first place we see hints of the ST with her traveling to the unknown regions, where we might see Sloane, Hux's dad, and maybe Snoke.
I feel like we are seeing a ST setup in Gideon's plans. Sure looked like snoke in the tanks to me.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, how confusing. One of my favorite things about the OT was how Luke went into great detail about the manufacture, installation and idiosyncracies of of his fucking robot hand.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We literally part of the first order puzzle revealed and actual ST music in the lmao. Like plot wise. They needed Grogu to eventually make Snoke. Anything post ROTJ is ST content. Not OT. The OT ends at Endor. By your logic Rebels and Fallen order are prequel era content. Content explaining what happened to the empire post ROTJ is ST backstory because it all leads to TFA.

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg
...he's a raging klutz?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Mando seems to connect to Star Wars past (prequels) 'present' (immediate aftermath of OT) and future (sequel trilogy). This season definately connected all 3 in a big way. I can only see it elevating the ST and correcting plot holes and what not the same way CloneWars elevated the PT for some people.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Again, literally the biggest question from the finale is a direct result of the ST. The Mandalorian expands on all three trilogies, but it is first and foremost a sequel era show that acts as a prequel. Despite not being advertised that way. And we're getting more from that era. It's ok to be wrong when someone calls out your hot take.
You need to redifine hot take. Saying that the ST is inferior to the OT/PT in terms of worldbuilding isnt a hot take.

Also if the ST worldbuilding could stands on it own why would they need to advertise it through nostalgia from the OT/PT. I get that you like the ST. Nothing wrong with that. But to say the interest in ST era derived content is the same or more from that to the PT or the OT content isnt correct. And that interest is directly tied to the worldbuilding in the movies.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You need to redifine hot take. Saying that the ST is inferior to the OT/PT in terms of worldbuilding isnt a hot take.

Also if the ST worldbuilding could stands on it own why would they need to advertise it through nostalgia from the OT/PT. I get that you like the ST. Nothing wrong with that. But to say the interest in ST era derived content is the same or more from that to the PT or the OT content isnt correct. And that interest is directly tied to the worldbuilding in the movies.

again

you are talking after fact, after 10 years or more of PT content.

come back in 10 years, to see how much ST content was actually made.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
One of if not literally the biggest question asked post finale involved the last Jedi. Characters not stiffly bogging us down with exposition like in the prequels does not=poor world building. The same way it was in the OT. Those films aren't plot driven. Or at least, TFA and TLJ aren't.
Right, um, it's telling that you assume that the only criticism of the sequel trilogy's world construction can be a lack of exposition.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's a tool of terror more than it is a tool for destruction.
Nah the empire unironically use them for sieges. Slow ass tanks on legs that can be tripped....

first order even made them full proof by giving them buffer legs.

So many things exist in the OT without explanation outside of EU material that got retconned over and over again. Over the course of 4 decades. The OT isn't an example of stellar world building. I would t even call the PT good world building on their own.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
We literally part of the first order puzzle revealed and actual ST music in the lmao. Like plot wise. They needed Grogu to eventually make Snoke. Anything post ROTJ is ST content. Not OT. The OT ends at Endor. By your logic Rebels and Fallen order are prequel era content. Content explaining what happened to the empire post ROTJ is ST backstory because it all leads to TFA.

Just because something takes place after the OT doesn't automatically make it ST content. The ST take place over 30 years later. Rebels is clearly in between PT and OT though closer to the OT side the empire is already established and most of the Jedi are dead and we see a young Luke. Things don't have to rigidly fall into either OT, PT or ST. There are large gaps between the three, to pigeonhole everything into either is dumb since there are clearly transition periods where the status quo changes. Games, movies, comics and books can take place in the OT but tie into the ST, we've now seen PT content that stretches into the OT timeline. But to say that just because hints are dropped about the first order in Mando makes it ST content is like saying Vader being at the end of ROTS makes it OT.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

The PT was advertised on nostalgia for the OT though. Like you can see young Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader, etc and see more cool lightsabers. Star Wars has been building interst off nostalgia for nearly 30 years now.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That's old news. The new hotness is the Dark Saber. The first lightsaber that's actually shaped like a saber. But how?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just because something takes place after the OT doesn't automatically make it ST content. The ST take place over 30 years later. Rebels is clearly in between PT and OT though closer to the OT side the empire is already established and most of the Jedi are dead and we see a young Luke. Things don't have to rigidly fall into either OT, PT or ST. There are large gaps between the three, to pigeonhole everything into either is dumb since there are clearly transition periods where the status quo changes. Games, movies, comics and books can take place in the OT but tie into the ST, we've now seen PT content that stretches into the OT timeline. But to say that just because hints are dropped about the first order in Mando makes it ST content is like saying Vader being at the end of ROTS makes it OT.
The OT takes place twenty years after ROTS. No one in their right mind would call Rebels, Fallen Order, the Vader comics, etc. prequel era content. SW eras at their current juncture are defined not just by the immediate events but by what happened in between the gap between the trilogies. The plot of the Mandalorian directly involving ST organizations and events. Those rundown troopers and people like Gideon eventually become the first order. The story is about Mando and Baby Yoda.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I always figured he built it because he was frustrated he could never get the balder side sword to drop, so he just made one irl.

Oct 28, 2017
Do the movies ever explain how lightsabers work in the first place? I know it's crystals, but I don't ever remember it being explained in the movies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do the movies ever explain how lightsabers work in the first place? I know it's crystals, but I don't ever remember it being explained in the movies.
SW is space fantasy. In spite of having a detailed wookiepedia article for almost literally everything the movies spend very little time explaining the technology. It's all just there and the explanations are all meaningful as literally having a wookiepedia article on Aunt Beru's denim jeans.

And honestly they're better for it. Imagine a SW film or game written by Kojima...

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

star wars has neve botthered to explain anything that doesn't directly affect the plot of the movies,

but that is only a problem with discussing the ST for some reason lol

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like something a toy designer did before and handed over to the studio.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
but all of this is after the fact.

you were trying to say everybody wanted MORE PT when it released when it wasn't really the case,

every love the PT era receives right is concequence of George stuborness in not abandoning that era, and dedicate 10 years plus of content to it.
Not everyone, maybe my wording was incorrect I meant a lot more people than for the ST.
I know that a lot of people despised the PT at the time, while I disagreed with them at the time. I can see why they did.
The PT was advertised on nostalgia for the OT though. Like you can see young Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader, etc and see more cool lightsabers. Star Wars has been building interst off nostalgia for nearly 30 years now.
True enough. However I still think the PT had better world building and was less derivative than the ST

Oct 28, 2017
I don't recall an in-depth explanation in the movies.

Star Wars is a more enjoyable product when there isn't an explanation for every single minute detail.
SW is space fantasy. In spite of having a detailed wookiepedia article for almost literally everything the movies spend very little time explaining the technology. It's all just there and the explanations are all meaningful as literally having a wookiepedia article on Aunt Beru's denim jeans.

And honestly they're better for it. Imagine a SW film or game written by Kojima...
star wars has neve botthered to explain anything that doesn't directly affect the plot of the movies,

but that is only a problem with discussing the ST for some reason lol
Thanks all, I figured as much, and yes I do find it funny people are only bothered by this stuff with the ST. Give it 20 years and the kids who grew up on the ST will revere it just as much as 20 year olds now revere the PT.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Oh mods can shitpost now too?

90% of the shit you know from the OT was explained in the EU. The lightsaber is just a metaphor for Kylo's inexperience.
It's not really that much of a hot take. 90% of the side shit we know from the OT was explained after the OT because people were curious. So much about the ST was put in books, comics, etc during the trilogy? Stuff like Snoke, Phasma, the rise of the first order after the original trilogy, the knights of Ren. All of that was obtuse to people who just watched the movies.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
According to what I've seen, yes. LF had many things that originated in the PT including games(Battlefront 2, Bounty Hunter, Republi Commando, etc.), the clone wars cartoon that everyone loves, Darth Plagueis story and many more. Even the old republic is inspired from the PT worldbuilding.

The clone wars animated series is just icing on the cake.

Ive yet to see anything derived from the ST to inspire interest
It's been literally a single year since the ST ended and on top of that it was a year with a fucking pandemic kneecapping any and all movie production.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
The OT takes place twenty years after ROTS. No one in their right mind would call Rebels, Fallen Order, the Vader comics, etc. prequel era content. SW eras at their current juncture are defined not just by the immediate events but by what happened in between the gap between the trilogies. The plot of the Mandalorian directly involving ST organizations and events. Those rundown troopers and people like Gideon eventually become the first order. The story is about Mando and Baby Yoda.

A lot of rebels storylines deal with the PT, especially things that happened during the clone wars. As I said, things like Fallen Order take place during transition periods making them neither one nor the other. Hell, even The Mandalorian has more story tie ins with the PT than the ST at the moment.

People "like" Gideon don't matter in the long run, we know that Rae Sloane took control of the remnants and they became the first order while in exile meanwhile people like Gideon tried and failed to carve out their own little kingdoms and I don't see Gideon joining Sloane since he'd want to be in control. Baby yoda might tie in to Snoke, but we're still 30 years away from the start of the ST but only three from the end of Jedi. If like you said, the OT ends with Jedi, then the ST starts with TFA

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really that much of a hot take. 90% of the side shit we know from the OT was explained after the OT because people were curious. So much about the ST was put in books, comics, etc during the trilogy? Stuff like Snoke, Phasma, the rise of the first order after the original trilogy, the knights of Ren. All of that was obtuse to people who just watched the movies.
We literally got the now retconned explanation for Luke's Jedi outfit in comics before Return of the Jedi released.
It's also very silly to ignore the different contexts when it comes to release periods. The PT for example was getting a shit ton of EU content during its release because George, like Disney, wanted that sweet sweet merchandising money. Like, there is literally not a single line about where Grievous came from in ROTS. How Anakin got his scar. Became a Jedi knight, etc.

People really need to stop retconning the prequel release period.

Last edited:

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

TFA would have been 4 hours long if they explained every little detail like how Kylo made his lightsaber. Those details aren't important and can be explained in the EU.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Not everyone, maybe my wording was incorrect I meant a lot more people than for the ST.
I know that a lot of people despised the PT at the time, while I disagreed with them at the time. I can see why they did.

True enough. However I still think the PT had better world building and was less derivative than the ST
For the world building a lot of the best of it came in stuff like Clone Wars, novels and comics. Like the PT introduced more planets, but a lot of the stuff was just there for a few scenes while the majority took place on familiar locations. After 20 years of supplementary ST material it'll be as fleshed out.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of rebels storylines deal with the PT, especially things that happened during the clone wars. As I said, things like Fallen Order take place during transition periods making them neither one nor the other. Hell, even The Mandalorian has more story tie ins with the PT than the ST at the moment.
A lot of Rebels storylines are OT era continuations of characters who appeared before the OT period. That's still OT content. Rogue One isn't prequel content just because it showed us how Saw Gerrera, a CW show character, died. And no Mando doesn't. It references all three eras but the most prominent one it's building to is the ST. Yes clone war era characters appeared but no ones associating it with the PT, or even the OT.

Oct 26, 2017
Symbolism? Not everything needs a practical reason in Star Wars of all places

They never go into anything about why lightsabers are different colors or designs in the movies. It looks like it because that's what it looks like. I don't think you need more than that in the movie. The cracked crystal and metaphor for his own unstable nature I think is fine, not sure why people dunk on it.
IIRC, in ANH and ESB, blue lightsaber = good, red lightsaber = bad, so that naturally translated into what the Jedi and Sith used, but when Luke made his new lightsaber in ROTJ, the only reason it was green was because the blue blended in too well with the sky in certain shots, so they made it green to stand out more. An argument could also be made that it was not a "pure" color like blue since Luke was conflicted at times. Mace Windu's lightsaber was purple because Samuel L. Jackson wanted it to be purple, and Rey's was yellow because they wanted to sell toys.

Last edited:

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Have you not seen Spaceballs, OP?

MERCHANDISING, MERCHANDISING, MERCHANDISING!

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I remember when Force Awakens came out the idea was possibly as he didn't finish his training and rebeled against the Jedi Order he might have had to try and make his own, fucking shit lightsaber without guidance from a master.

I liked this idea that ultimately Kylo Ren is not a good Jedi, barely trained, half assed lightsaber just fighting with anger etc and when Rey takes him on, an actual proper martial artist, could kick his ass. Also why his dumb lightsaber doesn't seem to be able to cut up the console completely that he goes ham on and slashing Finn didn't cleave him in two.

Like the opoosite of Darth Vader, Kylo Ren is Dork Vader. Little barely trained pansy boy who is all suit and mask and fear but actually a really crap Jedi.

Didn't go that way ended up just being cause it's cool. I loved all the stuff that Force Awakens could have led to and honestly really disappointed with how everything panned out.