• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
His lightsaber is an ancient design and the crystal itself is cracked, causing the blade to be unstable.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
cue people shitting on the ST because they never explained the lightsaber in the movies so the world building is bad yadda yadda.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It was built around a dangerously flawed kyber crystal; therefore, the lightsaber relied on its lateral vents to prevent the cracked crystal from overloading. Its focusing crystal activators served to split the lightsaber's red-yellow[SUP][7][/SUP] plasma stream into three channels, creating the crossguard blades, or quillons, which appeared after the ignition of the main blade.[SUP][4][/SUP] The lateral vents, from which the quillons emerged, diverted the extra heat produced by the crystal to either side of the hilt, giving the crossguard lightsaber an unstable and serrated appearance.[SUP][2][/SUP] Though he was capable of repairing his lightsaber, Ren favored its unstable and volatile nature.[SUP][1][/SUP] Its partially exposed inner workings allowed for easy modifications and upkeep.[SUP][11][/SUP]

from wookiepedia

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I seem to recall an explanation that it's because he didn't receive proper training and cobbled together a lightsaber hastily without any guidance. The venting is representative of his reckless pursuit of power no matter the cost.

Edit: Turns out I got this part wrong, my bad.

Luke had been training him and other Jedi for more than ten years before Kylo went insane and blew up the temple. He spent more time training with Luke than he did with Han and Leia. All of the students were training under Luke instead of the traditional master/padawan dynamic.

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I always read it as his lightsaber's design is overclocked and it needs exhaust ports for the extra energy. The main beam looks "messy" compared to others too, like it's barely holding together

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I thought old lightsabers attached to the belt or somesuch?
Ever since the Disney canon reinvented the EU ancient lightsabers are shown to have crossguards and generally bear a larger resemblance to swords.

On a meta note. I remember when that first teaser trailer was revealed people were saying that the vents would be useless but Kylo has managed to use them in some way in every movie.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine the genius who designed the at-at in the star wars universe.

i mean, why? "in case we need to close in really slowly over perfectly flat terrain"?

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
I love that SNL Undercover Boss skit where the Stormtooper talks shit on how it looks. :)

Personally, I dug it. But the double-bladed Maul design will always reign for maximum Sith edge.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
When he ordered it the pictures looked normal. But when it arrived it was clearly a knock off.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Ever since the Disney canon reinvented the EU ancient lightsabers are shown to have crossguards and generally bear a larger resemblance to swords.

On a meta note. I remember when that first teaser trailer was revealed people were saying that the vents would be useless but Kylo has managed to use them in some way in every movie.

My goodness, what a trailer that was!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people even have an issue with it? It looks cool. That's all the explanation you need. It can also be pretty practical and he demonstrated this a couple times.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Like with much us the stuff in the sequels, you gotta read the comics or novels or some shit to get the whole story.
You say that as if the OT explained everything. Back in the day you needed to read a comic to know how Luke built a new lightsaber, (one with a different color btw because surprise that's a thing now), where he got his Return of the Jedi outfit from, etc.

Until they later retconned the explanation for his outfit when they made the prequels. Whichfelt the need to explain that Anakin built 3CPO, is literally Jesus, and that he blew up a space station at the age of ten while flying a ship for the very first time.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
SHOW ME

where in the OT explain how lightsaber works,

show me when they discuss kyber cristals please

a neat part of the OT is how they just drop stuff without explaining it. Who knew what the Clone Wars were before the prequels? It just sounded cool, weird, and science-fictiony

edit: i said best earlier but it's not the best part, just a part that it seems modern audiences can't abide

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The world building in the ST isnt good though. The ST failed to inspire new content interest from people like the PT did.
The current most popular piece of SW media is basically a prequel to the ST and has gone out of its way multiple times to explain some things from that era. And I doubt they'd sign off on stuff like Rangers of the New Republic if there wasn't new content interest.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
They never go into anything about why lightsabers are different colors or designs in the movies. It looks like it because that's what it looks like. I don't think you need more than that in the movie. The cracked crystal and metaphor for his own unstable nature I think is fine, not sure why people dunk on it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Always had the impression like swordcaft that it represents the forget/wielder and in this case unrefined.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
do you really think people where interested on the PT content?

that was george stubborness in making Clone Wars more than anything.
According to what I've seen, yes. LF had many things that originated in the PT including games(Battlefront 2, Bounty Hunter, Republi Commando, etc.), the clone wars cartoon that everyone loves, Darth Plagueis story and many more. Even the old republic is inspired from the PT worldbuilding.

The clone wars animated series is just icing on the cake.

Ive yet to see anything derived from the ST to inspire interest

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Disney pulled a page out of Squareenix's FFXV design playbook and decided to explain it outside the movies/source on why it was unstable.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I love that SNL Undercover Boss skit where the Stormtooper talks shit on how it looks. :)

Personally, I dug it. But the double-bladed Maul design will always reign for maximum Sith edge.
Lol this is what immediately came to mind. "It looks poorly built and dangerous!" "Well then you don't have to look at it anymore!!"