• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Can you rock the scarf look?

• It's impossible - I've tried, but it...it just doesn't work

Votes: 145 39.5%
  • Sure! - I'm a fashionista that can pull off anything!

Votes: 222 60.5%

• Total voters

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
iu

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I often wore scarves back in the early-mid 2000s during the indie wave when that was part of the style.

Since then though, I never wear them as a fashion piece.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
They can adjust their scarf
I do but It just isn't as warm. I wear a scarf much of the year in all those styles as am a big fan of walking most of my commute. If you tuck in the ends on those two looks in the right way, that will keep you warm. And look fashionable. Also the scarf will slip more with those looks and that gets super annoying. You may even lose one to the wind.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I dont like wearing scarfs unless its legit cold. Otherwise, they are stylish but I would never wear one unless its 30 degrees or below.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Stealing the solid photo above and my enjoyment of scarves, these are the two best looks that keep you warm.

VJxhRM0.png

KbBmsrC.png

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
More like, "Are you a dude?" Because this is very much a dude-centric discussion of scarf-wearing.
FWIW, my wife wears her scarves very similar to me. About the same styles as well. Doesn't tuck as much and she uses heavier coats. It's just easier to share photos from men's shots that I can match closely.

Fair point though.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I have a bunch of scarves as gifts over the years even though I hardly wear them lol. Felt like my wife and family kept trying to push them onto me! I wear them when it's really cold out which makes sense. It's functional in that case and cozy. Don't feel like an asshole and I certainly hope I don't look like one lol.

Jun 17, 2019
For those who don't know, for t-shirts you need a thin one layer scarf and wrap it lose once around the neck. You can also get a triangle shape and wear it as a loose bandana, or a thin long one and drape it. If a short one is wanted, you should do it like you would a necklace.

Tips from a former retail associate that worked in accessories for both men and women.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I think guys look handsome in scarves.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, my wife wears her scarves very similar to me. About the same styles as well. Doesn't tuck as much and she uses heavier coats. It's just easier to share photos from men's shots that I can match closely.

Fair point though.
That's exactly the thing, though. There are a billion "how to wear a scarf" things with women - and they help, because the secret to wearing a scarf and feeling comfortable is finding the method that works and feels comfortable - but here we are regardless. There's what, two images of women in the thread?

Feels like this so often on Era. Like I have to decide which threads are for me, and so many clearly aren't.

Sorry to derail. Just sucks.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly the thing, though. There are a billion "how to wear a scarf" things with women - and they help, because the secret to wearing a scarf and feeling comfortable is finding the method that works and feels comfortable - but here we are regardless. There's what, two images of women in the thread?
I'm not an authority on women's scarves but the below has to be helpful to some degree.

The rule I have is heavy coat London style or light coat French styles. Pretty close with women.

EDIT: My wife is really into fashion and worked in the industry. She really does the triangle look a lot. Top result.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Middle guy's watch is way too big. I hate it. Otherwise they're all fine.

Well, the last guy looks like a Tory. Probably an asshole on the inside.

Yeah, he set my whiskers twitching(although it does possibly look like scarf weather), middle guy looks sus as well, wouldn't trust any of them.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Era is so weird when it comes to fashion. Just wrap around your neck and go about your day. Nobody cares lol.

Supreme Bean

Banned
May 28, 2022
portrait-handsome-brunette-sexy-man-wearing-fashionable-white-tshirt-scarf-trousers-looking-away-with-confident-expression-indoor-studio-shot-isolated-gray-background_416530-16156.jpg

It helps to be good looking and in shape of course
He looks like a twat!

As with anything people tend to look cool if they don't look like they are making a massive effort. You are probably over thinking it. Just wear a scarf or don't.
That being said unless you are in southern hemisphere it's not exactly seasonal. You are much more likely to come across as a bellend wearing a scarf in the summer.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The basic drape is the only way I can wear them as I feel like a bit of a tit with knots. Just having the back and sides of your neck covered is more comfortable too IMO. I bought a 100% cashmere scarf and it's been worth it.

Something like this but with a normal coat and jumper/sweater, not a blazer. The chunky, colourful wool scarfs can work too depending on the look.

mens-scarf-drape-outfit.jpg

This is the way to do them imo. Idk I've never been able to pull off a fancy wrap. I just let them drape. Always with a coat as well. Kinda weird if you're wearing a scarf but no coat... it's like, why not just wear the coat and no scarf at that point?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They seem pretty common in Europe. They were kinda everywhere in Paris and tbh everyone wearing them looked very well dressed.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an authority on women's scarves but the below has to be helpful to some degree.

The rule I have is heavy coat London style or light coat French styles. Pretty close with women.

EDIT: My wife is really into fashion and worked in the industry. She really does the triangle look a lot. Top result.
I love this one but some of these are questionable. I'm surprised tho we haven't seen our boy Lenny Kravitz in a scarf skirt. Lean into the meme, Lenny.
This one, too, because I like the variety. Skimming some of these helped me figure out which styles I liked, which I could actually do, and which might look good with certain outfits. All scarves, all days, all outfits are not the same for sure!

anyway, thank you for indulging me :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is all I got:

Tom+Baker.jpg

latest

So I guess your options are "time-travelling british uncle" or "sentai hero wearing it like a cape".

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

A few things to note on why this works so well:
-He's wearing a really nice, tailored coat
-The scarf adds a splash of color and goes well with the dark coat
-He's using a knot that makes sense for his coat. Different coats demand different knot styles

It helps that he's Ryan Gosling of course! But the simple answer to the op's question is: put a little thought into it, learn what style and knot makes sense for your body and coat, consult a personal stylist if necessary. And get a nice well-fitting coat.

I never have a problem wearing scarves, but yeah I used to look awful when I wasn't very invested in my personal appearance and knew nothing about them. Knowledge is power.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
Look far off in the distance, don't make eye contact to anyone when taking your scarf off.

Demonstration:
1Zf3.gif

gentlemen's unwrap technique

Look at that small smirk at the end, he knows what he did, but does he think about it? No, he just does it.

This is the very show that started my fascination with scarves as a fashion accessory, before this I would often over look them.

He was so stylish.