• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
How are these Pokemon not accidentally killing each other when something like a Charizard uses Flamethrower on a Caterpie?
6KxJKHI.jpg

Woylie

May 9, 2018
The Slowpoke tail thing has been handled really weirdly and inconsistently throughout the games. In Gen 2 it's considered this awful, cruel thing that only Team Rocket would do... but then when I recently revisited Pokemon X, there's a restaurant you can eat at, and one of the courses that they bring you is a Slowpoke tail! I guess maybe it could be read as a statement about how tastes and ethical standards for food are different around the world, but it struck me as probably just trying to be a cute reference to Gen 2 while totally missing the point of what Slowpoke tails meant in those games.

Bulbapedia also has a section on this.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a cultural thing. Can you eat a cat or a dog? Sure. Is it culturally acceptable in America? No.

Since Pokemon are just the animals of the world I imagine there are some that people eat and some that people don't. And just like how people have pet cows and pigs and what not, some of those Pokemon that are socially acceptable to eat can be pets too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
People eat Pokemon in the video game universe.

The Slowpoke tail thing has been handled really weirdly and inconsistently throughout the games. In Gen 2 it's considered this awful, cruel thing that only Team Rocket would do... but then when I recently revisited Pokemon X, there's a restaurant you can eat at, and one of the courses that they bring you is a Slowpoke tail! I guess maybe it could be read as a statement about how tastes and ethical standards for food are different around the world, but it struck me as probably just trying to be a cute reference to Gen 2 while totally missing the point of what Slowpoke tails meant in those games.

I think it's more that Team Rocket was doing it inhumanely and with Slowpokes that weren't theirs.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017

Pokemon Sun/Moon rectonned it so that Slowpokes are capable of autotomy. Their tails can break off naturally and by harvested.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the levels of intelligence they seem to exhibit yes

But give me that Tauros meat, I need sustenance

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't they genetically engineered, possibly not entirely organic? Created to replace all of the wildlife after an environmental apocalypse?

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
people keep posting weak shit like slow bro and magikarp.
how about pokemon like Lucario, Gardevoir line, Hawlucha, ... Tell me you would want to eat that lmao

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
The concept of what makes a creature a pokemon or not is a wierd one, as is whether a given pokemon is sentient - some are clearly intelligent.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
they have cloning technology and revive-fossils-from-the-dead technology. i wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of ethical pokemon-based labgrown meat alternative. with that in mind... i don't think most people would eat a real pokemon unless they really had too... or they were some sort of pokemaniac

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I think Pokémon in the Pokémon world get treated the same way as animals in real life. A side that has no issues of consuming them while others have varying degrees of tolerance

I don't think there are non-Pokemon animals and there are humans who are omnivores, so... I guess it's not unethical to eat them? I don't know the ethics behind eating animals in our world honestly. I do it though.
There are definitely mentions to real life animals in the Pokémon world. We've even seen it in the anime on occasion.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I forget, are all animals completely erased from the pokemon world in place of pokemon? So there are no dogs, cats or cows and chicken? Unless the entire world is vegetarian, those mofo's are eating pokemon.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I mean the whole premise is that it's just cockfighting, but with different animals. Eating them feels a lot less problematic.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
if i were to eat a ditto that transformed into a magikarp would it taste like a magikarp or a ditto

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
They all seem to be able to understand human language.

Some of them can talk...

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Aren't they genetically engineered, possibly not entirely organic? Created to replace all of the wildlife after an environmental apocalypse?

Nope, Pokemon and Humans alike were made by God. And by God, I mean Arceus:

Pokedex Entries:

Diamond: "It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms."
Pearl: "It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed."

It created Space (Palkia) and Time (Dialga), and also probably Satan (Giratina). Then it created Knowledge (Uxie), Emotion (Mesprit), and Willpower (Azelf).

Humans came long after all that.

Pokemon Mythology is wild.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think Pokémon in the Pokémon world get treated the same way as animals in real life. A side that has no issues of consuming them while others have varying degrees of tolerance

There are definitely mentions to real life animals in the Pokémon world. We've even seen it in the anime on occasion.

I forget, are all animals completely erased from the pokemon world in place of pokemon? So there are no dogs, cats or cows and chicken? Unless the entire world is vegetarian, those mofo's are eating pokemon.

Most of the clear examples of real life animals in the Pokemon world are from early in the franchise before they developed the setting more. The further you advance, the less references you have, aside from those legacy ones. Nowadays, the most you get are minor visual effects with butterflies, birds or bees.

That said, Pokemon are divided by categories and even today those are named after real animals, even for new Pokemon. I don't think it necessarily means there are real animals though. Pikachu and Marill can be known as Mouse Pokemon due to some of their shared traits even if there isn't a real world mouse in the Pokemon world.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
fc1efde0e1200b35f401e746827a09298ce5e544_hq.gif

MsLEpJcXc8HgoigsirM9Q43bGbafym1oYaAHjGw7NoM.jpg

3532017-screen%20shot%202019-05-09%20at%2012.11.54%20pm.png

. Farfetch'd Soup - In Episode 46 of the original Pokémon anime, Ash's Pokédex asserts that "Farfetch'd makes a delicious meal, especially when cooked with leek." Because of that, the Pokédex says, Farfetch'd is nearly extinct, making it both a rare Pokémon and a sought-after culinary delicacy. Later, James remarks that "it tastes good, and has good taste!"

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why they never should have introduced humanoid pokemon, besides the fact that they're super ugly.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this topic comes up multiple times every year. Its wrong if the lore says its wrong because its not our world and isn't very comparable. Most of them are depicted pretty much as having human expressions and emotions, if not intelligence especially in media outside the games so yeah that's fucked if you're arguing for that. Feels almost cannibalistic at that point.

This is why they never should have introduced humanoid pokemon, besides the fact that they're super ugly.

introduced? they have always been a thing, as have aliens, inanimate objects, ghosts, deities etc

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Half of these fuckin' species are not only just dangerous wild animals that would eat you at the end of the day, but they're capable of stealing your soul, kidnapping children and shit.

Eat 'em. For the sake of humanity.

Even the legendaries.