• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Game pass pretty much mothballed my PS4pro. I haven't touched it in months and the only game I'm looking forward to play on it is TLOU2.

I've been playing my One S constantly but its poor performance is disappointing. I can't help but wonder if it would be worth the time to trade in both the Pro and one S and get a one X.

There's also the fact that the next generation is a year of two away.

So how bout it? Save the time and money or spends the time and money?

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say so. I've also been going back and forth with this but I can't justify it with the nextbox a year away. I should've bought one at launch

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you get a 1X now, it will still have a good trade value when the Scarlett appears.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If you've got money to burn, or see a particularly good deal, might as well go for it. But yeah I'd be tempted to wait. I'm sure the next gen Xbox will have a big jump in performance for 360/Xbox One games, and it will probably be cheaper than the current list price for a One X (or at least the base console will be if there are two versions).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think it is a good idea, I'm thinking of doing the same if I can find one cheap soon. Next year has Ori and the Will of the Wisps after all. Plus GP goodness as per usual.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Well TLOU2 isn't out and you can't play that anywhere else so why get rid of the PS4?

2. Maybe try some more games on PS4 that are outside your comfort zone? You'd be surprised and it can be fun to try new things. I have tons of PS4, swirch, etc games and I can still find stuff Coming out that I want other than TLOU2.

3. Just pay the difference for a One X after trading in S. I think X is usually $400 at many stores so you should at least be able to get it for $300 or less with trade or selling it

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
There are good deals on One X refurbs for like $299. You could jump on that.

I'd say keep the PS4 Pro for Death Stranding and TLOU 2, you can sell it afterwards and hang on until the PS5.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you plan to be an early adopter of Scarlet I would wait.

If you want to wait a year or two into Scarlet's life before getting it then X is worth it, especially a good deal on one.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd say go for it. Sell the PS4 and just watch a playthru of tlou on YouTube.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
You want to wait another 13 months? Buy a one X when it is on sale this holiday and then trade it in next year.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
id say get one. Because there will likely be a ridiculous trade in deal when the new Xbox launches.

then again the best trade in deal would likely be GameStop. And u would have to assume GameStop still exists in 14 months.

When Xb1x came out. Gamestop gave me $300 credit towards it by giviing them my hunk of junk launch Xb1 (which was only fetching $120 on ebay at the time)

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Holidays are coming up! When I bought my X I paid roughly 350ish and got NBA and Red Dead 2 with it! When you see a deal like that, buy it! Sell your S, and then trade in the X for Scarlett if you want to later next year.

I'mma be honest, waiting 13 or 14 months for next gen is something I can't do lol. A year is sooo long!

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one two months ago. What made me go for it was the fact that I know that I'll buy a PS5 before the next Xbox, so at least with an X I can play every multiplatform game with a much better performance (even compared to my PS4 Pro) + current-gen Xbox exclusives + Game Pass + early next-gen exclusives (Halo Infinite).

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't, unless you can find it way below MSRP. In less than a year you'll be regretting it 1000%, so paying full price I just can't recommend.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Save up for a PC instead and play Xbox PC game pass plus get the PS5.. Seems too late in the generation to get a Xbox One X unless you get a fantastic deal or used so you aren't paying more than $200-300. You can hook up the pc to your big screen TV like I'm doing so you aren't stuck playing on a tiny pc monitor.

Shawn Carter

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
If you enjoy a media center thats a bit more robust than what smart tv's and roku-like devices offer, yes. If you respect Game Pass as a service, yes.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
IMO at least 90% of Xbox games that come out after Scarlet's launch will probably also run on One X for another one or two years so I think you're fine to buy one.

OP
OP
Failburger

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I already have a high end PC, so no need to worry about getting a PC. Though, the only games I Play on the PC are programming games.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
This gen I never got myself an xbone until 2016 but I've really enjoyed it since then.
Was going to get an X myself but think I'll wait until Scarlett now. My bog standard xbone does the job ok until next year or maybe 2021 by the time I get Scarlett.

Either way, the X is still a very good machine.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
The X is a fantastic machine and Gamepass is amazing. You can basically count on Scarlett fall 2020 and I'm sure that will be great. I fully recommend the X but it really depends on budget..

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably picking one up when the holiday sales hit, and then trade it in when the Scarlett hits

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I hear ya though my ps4 hasnt been played in years, but the gap between the pro and x isn't that noticeable so you are better off waiting

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you do decide to buy one and you're in the US wait until Black Friday or around that time as XBX1 usually gets some amazing deals.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You'll get a better trade in value for a X and Pro than you would base consoles.
Also you won't even know the thing is on because it's whisper quiet.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd normally advise against it, but if your heart wants it and you can find a good deal, go for it. Because that's what I did about a month ago and haven't regretted it. It's a great machine: runs quiet and gives almost every game a nice boost. Gears 5 looks amazing on it. Excited for the next year and I expect I'll get better trade-in value for Scarlett than I would've with my One S.

m_anger

Dec 13, 2018
Depends on a lot of things. If there is a good deal and You play more on Xbox it's a go. But I would keep the PS4 as well.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would say if you are 100% sure getting Scarlett then probably don't buy it. I bought an X in October to play Red Dead 2 in 4K as well as Halo MCC in 4K and it was a great decision for me, but everyone is different.

Also it depends on what the trade in value for an X is.

May 10, 2019
Keep the PS4 Pro, trade in for the X but give it a few weeks as all the holiday deals are starting to come around. Also, I wouldn't go over $450 for the X and I have seen some deals near the $399 mark recently.

I'm the opposite, I have a PS4 but not Xbox One until the X came. It's become my main system and exclusives for PS4.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I got one this week for 300€ to upgrade my One OG. Totally worth it. But I wont buy the next xbox so soon. I'll look at the PlayStation first.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I have a feeling Xbox one X will still be supported next to scarlett and the OG xbox and one S will stop getting support

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if i played my One S regularly i'd probably take the plunge. One X resell should shave a bill or two off scarlet

still kinda burning money though, YMMV on budget

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Get the X, scarlett is still so far away. Youll get a good 15 months before next gen and you can trade in the X when the time comes.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Warned: platform wars
TLOU 2 doesn't look good, but even if you're into that it's more of a movie than a game so just watch the cutscenes once it's out.

Get the X.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling Xbox one X will still be supported next to scarlett and the OG xbox and one S will stop getting support
Pretty sure MS have said that there will never be games playable on One X that are not on OG One.

Makes sense, too. The biggest difference in hardware is the GPU. As long as they are willing to dial back the resolution/framerate etc, there's no reason that a game that runs on One X can't run on the base console. They have very similar CPUs.

Scarlett will have a big jump in CPU from One/One X.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I will say that enhanced Xbox One X titles make a world of difference in some cases. That's also true for BC. But you should only get an X if you have the proper 4K TV alongside it to really feel the difference, IMO. You might as well wait for some holiday deals, OP.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never trade two consoles to get one. I might play 3 PS4 games a year, but those are usually 3 games I can't play anywhere else

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
kinda, but if you want it, do it.

wait for 399+game bundles deals over holidays maybe? it's only like month away. Trade in or sell your S for a little.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
No and yes if it's true with what Phil Spencer claimed that the Xbox One X will be the starting point of next generation where the Xbox One X can still get support because of the power it has (even though the CPU is outdated) I think it's worth it. But again I rather wait it out and find out when they officially announce next gen Xbox.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
That's my biggest prediction I have, the Xbox One X is certainly capable of handing things out. Only thing is holding the system back is the outdated CPU and the OG Xbox One & Xbox One S. I think it will be supported for at least 3 years which is a long time and good enough time for people to upgrade to next generation.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd consider it a waste of money personally with next gen so close.

If you waited this long then it shouldn't be a problem to wait a bit more.