• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, but it is hard to store just once.
I remember checking a puzzle solution for The Witness because I got frustrated. Then I checked the next one. Then the one after.

Eventually I just conceded because that's no way to play a game.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
If I spend more than 20 minutes on a puzzle and I've gotten no further than where I started, I'm looking the thing up. Sometimes it's just me being super dumb and not realizing something obvious too, so I'm glad I look those up as otherwise I'd keep looking for more and more complicated solutions meanwhile the answer is right in front of my face and I'm overthinking it.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no shame but for me it does give less of a feeling of accomplishment, I always try to solve the puzzle at first but if I get stuck I have to look it up.

I usually always feel like an idiot after realising how easy the puzzle is lol.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am at a shrine in BotW and I am unsure of how to get the treasure chest. I could just check the internet, but i would be shamed.

Why? When you are playing a game it's all about you and your enjoyment. If something is kicking your ass, isn't explained well, or you are just plain confused and you choose to hit Google and get some help, so be it. No shame in that.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah dawg enjoy shit in your own way. Grinding your head against something is nice sometimes and soul crushing others, do whatev.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing Nioh and used Save Wizard to max out my first five skills to 99 which made me level 400. SoulsBorne type games aren't really for me but I love the combat in Nioh and wanted to play through it and using Save Wizard was the only way that was going to happen. I'm halfway through the story campaign. Yeah, it's "cheating" but fuck it, who cares? At least I can actually play through the game where as without Save Wizard, there was just no way. LOL.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay.

It's not like you're going through Dark Souls entirely on co-op or something actually shameful like that...

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Probably not, I gave up on The Witness exactly because I forced myself not to look for solutions online.

three_muffins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Play the game the way you have the most fun. Don't let other peoples opinions dictate how you want to play.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Screen-Shot-2018-12-11-at-11.34.35-pm.png

Some puzzles are deliberately obscure to provoke discussion online.

I love the puzzle shrines in BOTW but I did use a guide for two of them.

I really wish games did a better job of reducing the moving parts on request to help you solve a puzzle. For example, pointing out the roughly important items or highlighting the key areas of the map.

Nov 1, 2017
Surely it must be even more disgraceful to not be able to make even that an insignificant of a choice in your life without peer review? I mean, if you never tell anyone they're never gonna find out, and even if they do find out no one who matters in even the tiniest bit in your life is going to give a fuck.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The final parts of Divinity 2 got on my nerves so I looked up a solution. Funny thing is I forgot the answer to one solution but I was on the right track and managed to finish it on my own. The other puzzle was more of me trying to preempt the bullshit I thought that game was gonna throw at me and tried to counter it by being a bit too clever but turns out I did not have to and ended up just making it harder on myself.

For me there is a limit to how long I want to waste time trying to figure out a puzzle or solution. Sometimes I feel like I am simply looking at a puzzle the wrong way and a little nudge in the right directions is all I need and not outright looking for the solution necessarily.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Are you kidding

Dispel all notion of pride in a video game

Life is way too short for that shit. Do your best to solve it, if it's too frustrating, deal with it however you see fit and stop wasting your time.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Be glad to live in times where you can actually look this stuff up. I wasn't able to finish Soul Reaver 2 because I couldn't figure out a puzzle and we didn't have any internet connection at home back then so...

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
No it's not, it's simply a judgement call, weighing two options; whether you value your time or the sense of satisfaction from figuring it out yourself.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. I try to give all puzzles a good try, but I also don't have the time to sit around for hours trying to figure something out. If I look up the solution, is it less satisfying? Sure, but it does beat wasting time and getting super frustrated.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the internet was bigger when I was a kid so I could have 4 hours of my life refunded.

hqdefault.jpg

Nov 30, 2017
Before the internet as we know it existed I was stuck on a section of TR for 2 weeks. I didnt hammer away at it but i almost quit playing because of it.

Before that i was stuck on the original zelda for a week, couldnt figure out how to get lightning.

The correct answer is no its not.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it comes down to the game. If you're playing a game built around puzzles, I mean, you do you, but it would confuse me why someone would play a game like that if they're going to just cheat their way through it.

But it would make total sense in a game like Uncharted, where the focus is on narrative and gunplay and stealth, not the occasional half-baked puzzle nonsense they throw in from time to time.

Either way, it's never "disgraceful".

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Well you can try solving it yourself first, but in the end nobody cares lol. I have wiki ready to help when I'm lost playing Yakuza or RDR2. Wanna enjoy the game yo :p

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
As it turns out I am he who will point and laugh at you for looking up how to solve a puzzle using the Internet.
Behold I am here

No do it all you must, it's not a problem and anyone who would shame you for it, I feel they have a problem

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never thought I'd see disgraceful and videogame in the same sentence. Some of you take your toys way too serious.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Be glad to live in times where you can actually look this stuff up. I wasn't able to finish Soul Reaver 2 because I couldn't figure out a puzzle and we didn't have any internet connection at home back then so...

That's when you asked your buddy to look it up for you ....

But then all they had was dial up so by the time they connected you already figured it out.

Good Times.

Oct 27, 2017
No, why would it be disgraceful?! If you can't work it out and don't have the patience to sit on it then just swallow your pride and look it up. I did it not a small number of times for the shrines in Breath of the Wild.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Personally I will do it then feel stupid for how simple the solution really was!
But it's nothing to feel ashamed for. Games are for fun and at some point mashing your head against a wall stops being fun.

Heck, there is a whole industry for producing strategy guides and such.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I am at a shrine in BotW and I am unsure of how to get the treasure chest. I could just check the internet, but i would be shamed.
Nah, life's too short and games are for fun, if getting blocked is unfun...you know, use a little help.
I admit I cba to look for RE2 safe combinations after the first one and just looked them online.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as you at least tried to solve it on your own. Some puzzles in games are complete bullshit, so who cares.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
yes, it's shameful. you will know it's no longer solely your playthrough so you get one step closer to "why not look up everything".

but sometimes it's the only way forward and you should swallow your pride. at other times the puzzle wasn't that great to begin with and didn't make much sense so fuck it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Who gives a shit? Is it you? If it is, then don't do it. No one else is gonna care.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
You bring dishonour to your family! A shame that will be passed down for generations.

For real, though. Back when I played a lot of adventure games, there'd be nothing worse than coming up against some completely obscure puzzle and have it bring your progress to a full stop. Not being able to find guides has had me fall off a fair few games thanks to that.

If something in a video game is holding you back and you're not having fun with it, then just look up the solution. Simple. It's not like cheating at a test or something.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Worst puzzle I ever had to look up a solution for was for the 4th Monkey Island game.

The puzzle involved finding the route a guy took to his base, and the solution was that
you had to get termites to infest his peg leg so that they leave a saw dust trail for you to follow.

It was a three-fold problem.
1, I didn't even know what I was supposed to be doing next in the game. I can't solve a puzzlenifni don't even know what the puzzle is supposed to be.
2, I didn't know that the termites were an interact-able object. In a game like Monkey Island it's all about finding objects and finding out how they interact with other objects or the environment. If you miss a vital object then you're screwed.
3, I had no idea that adding termites to a wooden leg would cause it to leave saw dust. Knowing nothing about termites, that's not something I would have ever put together.

So in game's case the puzzle would have been literally unsolvable without looking it up.

In other cases, sometimes I know how I'm supposed to solve a puzzle, and exactly how to, it would just be tedious to do it.
The Witness in particular had a few puzzles like that. Yes I could have brute forced the solution or tried a dozen different combos, but it wouldn't be satisfying to solve them in those cases IMO.