• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It's good for apartment owners when they have to enter to do maintenance when you're not around.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Very. We as a species survived 25000 years without big brothers. You can too.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will sound kind of brag but we have it in every rooms except the 4 main bedrooms.

For security I guess, my in law house (later, mine) is too big, it will attract thefts for sure.
Seeing some of cameras and screens showing the footage 24/7 will make them think again.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My wife and I have one, but only enable it when we're not home. We check in periodically on our dogs, and enable motion detection when we're all out. If we had people staying over for any reason, it'll be off and they're free to shove it in a cabinet since it's detachable.

Also, don't assume you're safe from theft or vandalism just because you live in a safe neighborhood. We had some sketchy activity the other night that I'm glad we have evidence of.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Some narrow closed circuit situation like a baby monitor? Sure.

anything that pings some kind of app or service? Never.

Citations Needed Podcast. Episode 97: Porch Pirate Panic and the Paranoid Racism of Snitch Apps

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
It depends. I'm sure someone could justify it for their given situation. My situation is different so I don't have any need for that.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i have 3 outdoor cameras and 4 in doors. two are pointed at the main areas of the house, living room/entry way, one in the garage, one used as a baby monitor.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's great for elderly parents if you need to keep an eye on them while you're at work.

Also if someone has an understanding of basic network security and weighs the risks and decides to have a security cam installed then I see no harm in that.

If they determine the risk of the NSA or hacker viewing their feed isn't as great as being burglarized and wanting video evidence I completely understand that.

Lol. Appartment owners have cameras installed in appartments where people live!?

Usually in common areas or pointed at the front door. Not installed in the bathroom or pointing down to the mattress in the bedroom.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is super creepy and uncomfortable. My dad has them and the times I had to sleep in his living room I felt super awkward because of it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. At least with a webcam I can disconnect it or close my laptop when not in use. A 24/7 inside camera is a little creepy.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Depends on what they're being used for.

Masturbate in the couch, camera will be gone

"in" 🤔

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My ex's dad installed these in their house and would monitor them from work. She'd literally get texts from her dad like "turn off the light when you leave the kitchen" and stuff like that.

Needless to say I never set foot into that house.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
We have one to keep an eye on our animals when we are not home and to make sure our house isn't burning down when we are out of town. I don't really see how it's creepy. The only people that live here are my fiance and I and it's not like we sit there and watch each other when the other isn't home. It's also not recording audio.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe your dad noticed stuff disappearing (or maybe is under the impression that things are being moved around) and decided to monitor things.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me masturbate in private on the big screen Dad!

sliver-unrated-edition-20060317012055504-000.jpg

Remember Sliver.

Last edited:

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't have any, but have considered getting a couple just to plug in and use when we go out of town. I can't really imagine a scenario in which I would have them installed and running all the time.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friends use them to monitor children/keep an eye on the dog. It is a little weird, but I understand the impulse.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Inside the garage, maybe, but inside the actual house is creepy as fuck. Unless your house is really big and a couple of places in it really need it like the garden maybe and a room dedicated to rehearsing or any other artistic activity.
Edit: Makes sense for monitoring the baby room and when you have pets and it's only you and your partner who live there and leave the house for work.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
As for the creepiness I think its troubling that kids can't be a little mischievous outside without the cops getting called or whatever. That trend seems bad

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
What are Snitch Apps?

Primarily services that promote surveillance against other people— think Nextdoor & Ring— but I would also include any service that you use to surveil yourself and that data is accessible by a third party.

Regarding Ring specifically, the fact that law enforcement can request access to a user's camera footage, even with no suspicion of a crime, and keep that video forever ought to be a dealbreaker for any rational human being.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I'd only have them installed if there were contractors working inside my house, and have them on only when they're working.

Otherwise, no.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I have one set up in my front living room. It's where we keep the dogs while at work and we never use the room so it's not invading our privacy even if someone was monitoring it. It also happens to be pointing at the front door. I have motion detection set up on it in case there's a fire or something. If the dogs are moving I get a notification, and if it's anything serious I can drive home or call the police.

Oct 25, 2017
I live in a relatively safe neighbourhood, but we had a break in before christmas and have since installed Simplisafe indoor cameras in addition to the various other sensors. We have one in the living room that looks across to the dining room and another looking outwards on the kitchen window.

I have mixed feelings about this. Personally I find it invasive and my girlfriend has activated the cameras remotely to show her family without warning me. So I've banned that.

But on the other hand she was the one who came home to the burglar (and shouted at him causing him to flee and leave my consoles behind, which he had neatly stacked on the table. So we lost nothing), and she is still a little shook up over the whole thing. She feels the cameras are needed, so I've agreed to them for now.

I'd probably be okay with putting them in in place in the mornings before work and then putting them away in the evenings, but that's a lot of hassle.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
We have one in our house so we can keep an eye on our dogs when we're away. We generally turn it off when we're not going to be away for an extended period of time. It has a wide-angle view of a lot of our main floor covering multiple entrances, but it's not hidden and is just sitting on a bookcase rather than fixed in place.

Recently we've been having a dog sitter come stay at our house while we're away on trips (it's nicer for the dogs then putting them in a kennel or other unfamiliar place), and we leave it on during that time as well, but we inform the dog sitter of where it is, tell them they can move it if they want, and even give them access to use the stream in case they want to use it themselves during their stay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Did you ask him why he had it installed? Many people install it for keeping track of pets or in case there's a break in. I personally don't want cameras in my house because I'm afraid they could be hacked... however I do have a Nest Hub Max that has a camera on it. I have it automatically turn off and on based on if I'm home or not and there's a physical shutter I can use to turn off camera and mic. I also have it pointed away from my living space and pointed into the kitchen. So I use it mainly to keep a general eye on the inside of my house, watching pets or communicating with inlaws over video. I'd be interested in how he responds to you asking what the camera is for.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
My aunt is a court reporter and has said that you wouldn't believe how many defendants have their own interior Nest-cam type camera footage used against them by prosecutors. It can be subpoenaed just like external security camera footage can be subpoenaed.