• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because for a game like this... it feels right to have the voices in Japanese but I'm new to this series. Is that the general trend?

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
I've not tried with the English dub, but I highly recommend playing in Japanese. It's incredible.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
You can only play it in Japanese except for Like a Dragon (and Judgment, which is a spin off). I'm so invested in the Japanese dub after playing 0, 1, 2, 4, and 6 that there's no way I'm switching now.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I've played the recent ones with English dubs (Judgment and Like a Dragon) and found the dubs excellent. Really though it's up to you on what you prefer.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The mere thought to play in a dub is already hearsay and punishable by flocking.

Last edited:

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Play Whichever one makes sense both VAs are great and they even threw in a few easter eggs in for the English version

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
you can only play most of them in Japanese

but the two games dubbed in english have amazing dubs that stack up to their original versions especially like a dragon

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
The English voices for Like a Dragon is really well-done. I'll probably try the Japanese voices next time I play through it.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
All of the previous mainline games only have Japanese, so you have no choice if you want to play the ones other than 7. It would feel really wrong to me playing dubbed anyway.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I play Yakuza, and most Japanese games in Japanese. Its certainly gotten better, but English voice acting in Japanese games often a little half-baked. Exceptions would be mostly Resident Evil games and Kojima games, mostly.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
you can only play most of them in Japanese

but the two games dubbed in english have amazing dubs that stack up to their original versions especially like a dragon

You can play 4 of them in English, Yakuza 1 PS2 only in English in the US with its hilarious original dub. Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is the other one people usually forget, but yes it too has an excellent dub.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's deeply embedded into the aesthetics of the games. They have japanese written all over. It goes with the experience.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The English version of Like a Dragon is good, but the Japanese dub is superior (Ichiban is killing it in Japanese, especially during the last chapters).

OP, i'd suggest you to go Japanese, and maybe try the English dub on New Game +.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I liked Like a Dragon more in English personally. If you liked the Persona games in English you would probably like these ones dubbed too. They take a similar approach where they keep the honorifics and the dub cast really sells the game. Kaiji Tang as Ichiban and Greg Chun as Nanba are my favorite.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I played the entire series (except PS2 Yakuza 1 years ago where it wasn't an option IIRC ) in Japanese audio and playing Judgment or Y7 in English would feel wrong for me. Always weird when I see clips in English.

If you want to play in English though just do it. No wrong way to play.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Nah. The English version of Like a Dragon is good, but the Japanese dub is superior (Ichiban is killing it in Japanese, especially during the last chapters).

OP, i'd suggest you to go Japanese, and maybe try the English dub on New Game +.

I disagree, the english version is just as good

and my example involved Ichiban in the last chapters 2. The way his portrayed Ichiban during the big finale was something else

You can play 4 of them in English, Yakuza 1 PS2 only in English in the US with its hilarious original dub. Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is the other one people usually forget, but yes it too has an excellent dub.

yeah, they even bring some voice actors from 1 back and they shine under actual good voice direction

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
After playing so many of the games in Japanese (Y1 dub is pretty funny and it has Mark Hamill), I can't play it in anything other than Japanese. To be fair, dub is pretty good from the brief time I listened to it in Judgement Eyes and 7.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The english dub in Like a dragon is pretty dang great, so i highly recommend it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can't go wrong, and for most of the games you don't have a choice. I will say that Yakuza 7 and especially Judgment have two of the finest English dubs you'll ever get to experience IMO. I don't regret using them whatsoever.

and my example involved Ichiban in the last chapters 2. The way his portrayed Ichiban during the big finale was something else

heck yeah. finale English dub ichiban is maybe the most moving VA performance I've ever heard

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly as an advocate for subs over dubs most of my life, it doesn't really matter.

The dubbing quality in video games these days are so superb that I don't think you'll be short changed of the experience if you pick one language or the other.

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese is the best one.
I assume you will play Like a Dragon right? I heard the dub is good for it but I don't know as I skipped the game.

With that said, the voice acting in japanese is excellent with this series. When I first played Yakuza and they stopped dubbing them I went from "no dub no play" to "the voice acting is so damn good I prefer this".

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Play the series until you reach the ones with dub then try it. You can continue the future titles with what ever you prefer after *shrug*

Neither are better than the other as they're both good in their own right. It all come down to personal preference in the end.

Oct 27, 2017
For a while it was all that was available so I got used to the characters speaking in Japanese...but the dubs in Judgment and Like a Dragon are quite good.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
From what I have seen the dubs are really good. That being said I find the Japanese VA makes the game more authentic. Everything about the game is incredibly Japanese and using the Japanese VA only adds to that. This is coming from someone who chooses dubs over subs 99% of the time.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To me, the Yakuza games are almost digital tourism. I keep it in Japanese for the full effect.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The Eng dub is good (I played Judgment with the dub and loved it), but I really recommend people to play Like a Dragon in Japanese. Ichiban's JP VA is just phenomenal.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The dubs for Like a Dragon and Judgement are great. It's more culturally synchronous to play them in Japanese for obvious reasons but I do retain the more nitty-gritty details much better as a native English speaker when playing the dub, but that's not at all an issue I think most people will have.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
You do you but there are things that are just more fitting in specific languages. Like Yakuza in Japanese. And Cowboy Bebop in English.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
I tried to enjoy Yakuza 7 in English, but the fact that some parts are dubbed and some parts are not (such as enemy call outs and minor tidbits) drew me out of it. Furthermore, the Japanese dub is so good, it's really hard to argue for the English dub.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Some of the in-battle text isn't subtitled, so if I played in Japanese I'd miss out.

I actually started the game with subs because I am used to trash anime dubs. But I tried the English dubs out of curiosity and I never switched back. All the acting is top tier.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The English VO is good but I personally can't stand it. The game's set in Japan and the characters look Japanese so naturally you expect them to speak Japanese.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Played 1-6 in Japanese - didn't know there was another option. Started 7 and saw it had the option for english but definitely not fucking with that. The Japanese voice acting is so top notch in this series. English wouldn't feel right.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Japanese is best, it matches with the inflections and emotions so much better.

Last edited:

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
The dub is great, the only reason to ever not pick the language you actually understand is you personally hate the way it sounds after trying it.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
I personally prefer to play it with Japanese audio but the recent dubs are high quality.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm 99% a dubs over subs person, but Yakuza (and Judgment) are my 1%. It's gotta be Japanese. Even Persona I'll play in English because it's stylized, but tried half an hour of Judgment in English and it just felt horribly wrong.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Like A Dragon has a fan-freaking-tastic English cast and if this kind of quality is the future for the series in English I'll switch in a heartbeat.

I've played every Yakuza game and Judgement in Japanese and it still won me over.

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
The dubs in Like a Dragon and especially Judgement are extremely good.

My own preference is for the Yakuza games in Japanese, but Judgement in English (I just loved the dub so much).