• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I have been wondering about this. For 70 bucks more I can just buy a Series S for my bedroom. I guess the disadvantage is that I wouldn't be able to play games on a Series X from the SSD of the Series S. I also assume the transfer of titles back and forth would be limited by my internet bandwidth which is AT&T Gigapower. I just wonder if it would be worth it?

neurophd

Jan 9, 2018
The Series X allows for USB drives, correct? If so, are the load time dramatically different than SSD. If so, maybe just put games that normally have decent load times on USB drive. Also, once loaded can quick resume back and forth.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's not really additional storage though... it's a second console.

You could keep swapping games back and forth but, at that point, why not just buy a massive 6TB external HDD and just whack it into your Series X for cold storage.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What. Lmao just wait for the price to go down and manage your storage for a while. You dont need to have every game on earth installed in a single month.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
That's not a bad way to look at it, you can actually transfer the games from one console to another through your home network which could be faster than your internet connection and will not count against any potential data caps.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Just power through with the Series X storage for now and update the SSD when the prices come down. It's not worth to buy two similar consoles, you'll play on the Series S always thinking that you have a better experience right next to you.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The worth is relative to you, but honestly, that definitely doesn't seem like a bad idea. Additionally, you could just buy a USB HDD and move that between XSS and XSX as cold storage and then move the games that you want to play over to the SSD

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Isn't that like buying a backup car so you can have four tires ready-to-go instead of just leaving a spare in the trunk?

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Not really, besides the fact that you're buying a second console all together, but Series S provides only 360Gb of free space, so it's kinda pointless if your goal is to have more storage

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that actually makes sense... but like, I take your point that we are in a weird situation where there's barely a price differential between the storage expansion and the console itself.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not when the series S has 1/3rd of the storage the expansion drive has

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
I made it to launch day before I broke down for the 1TB SSD expansion. That plus the 4gb USB drive will be good enough for a bit although now you have me thinking about an S for the basement.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
You know what would be great if you could have multiple xbox consoles and use their internal storage as network storage so one could transfer games from console to console directly through the network.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is a terrible idea.
You would still have to do data management. So just buy an external hard drive. At least you would be able to play old titles directly on them.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You know what would be great if you could have multiple xbox consoles and use their internal storage as network storage so one could transfer games from console to console directly through the network.

What a great idea! (the console already has that option)

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Other oems besides Seagate will make external drives. I'd wait for cheaper models from Western Digital, for instance. Not every external will need premium 4D 128-layer NAND TLC.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
If you game a lot in your bedroom then I'd consider it, as for me, personally, no.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
this thread reminded me to think about how game state will work if you have two consoles.

Right now, if I play a game on my Xbox downstairs, then I go upstairs to play on my other Xbox, the second Xbox picks my last save state up. It works pretty well.

I was wondering how this would work with quick resume. Obviously you're "starting fresh" (e.g., not ... picking up from your quiick resume state on another console), but I wonder what the check in the system is to, like, "delete" your quick resume state if it notices you've been playing on another console and made save progress on it. For instance, play RDR2 on one console, turn off the system while I'm in the wilderness somewhere, go upstairs load it on a new console it picks up my last cloud save state back in town or whatever, play for an hour, turn off, go back downstairs and power on the original console ... It has to do a check of my save states, then delete my quick resume data and start from the nearest town (not in the middle of the wilderness). I assume they have it all worked out, but it's an interesting scenario in my head.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
this thread reminded me to think about how game state will work if you have two consoles.

Right now, if I play a game on my Xbox downstairs, then I go upstairs to play on my other Xbox, the second Xbox picks my last save state up. It works pretty well.

I was wondering how this would work with quick resume. Obviously you're "starting fresh" (e.g., not ... picking up from your quiick resume state on another console), but I wonder what the check in the system is to, like, "delete" your quick resume state if it notices you've been playing on another console and made save progress on it. For instance, play RDR2 on one console, turn off the system while I'm in the wilderness somewhere, go upstairs load it on a new console it picks up my last cloud save state back in town or whatever, play for an hour, turn off, go back downstairs and power on the original console ... It has to do a check of my save states, then delete my quick resume data and start from the nearest town (not in the middle of the wilderness). I assume they have it all worked out, but it's an interesting scenario in my head.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how that works out in practice.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I guess you could argue that if you want a secondary set up with 5 or so additional games on it, sure (more so than having 1 set up with 2tb storage)

So 2 setups 1.5tb storage vs 1 set up 2tb storage.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I guess you could argue that if you want a secondary set up with 5 or so additional games on it, sure (more so than having 1 set up with 2tb storage)

So 2 setups 1.5tb storage vs 1 set up 2tb storage.

Personally I'm just keeping my one x as the secondary set up and swapping the 4tb external that's on that to the series x.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
A lot of people are laughing at you, but I follow your logic, OP (I doubt most of them read what you actually wrote anyway). I personally wouldn't and would just get another Series X for that room later down the road if you really want/need another console there if you're worried about storage either way.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
the Xbox actually can transfer games over the network lol making this even more funny