• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it Appropriate to Wear Traditional Indian Dress to an Indian Wedding as a Non-Indian?

• Yes

Votes: 307 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 11.1%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 78 18.0%

• Total voters

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, first-gen Indians (immigrants) are really enthusiastic about non-Indians showing up to weddings in Indian dress. You'd only maybe get side eye from second-gens, but that's very unlikely at a wedding especially.

Last edited:

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm brown, go for it and have fun. Kurta's more comfy than suits.

Practice holding your clothes up when using the bathroom lol

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the bride and groom being okay with something isn't necessarily a guarantee that this something is okay. (Imagine if you were invited to a wedding of Trump supporters. Would you really seek their opinions on things?)

BUT, in this case, it is indeed okay.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I mean, the bride and groom being okay with something isn't necessarily a guarantee that this something is okay. (Imagine if you were invited to a wedding of Trump supporters. Would you really seek their opinions on things?)

BUT, in this case, it is indeed okay.
tenor.gif

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best to just ask the bride and groom and go by what they say. I have a friend in Pakistan who wore a tux to his sister's wedding/nikah so it's not a big deal regardless.

RJWalker

Feb 16, 2021
In my experience, it's almost always white people who start to object and throw accusations of appropriation. We, in the other hand, almost always either love it or don't care.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes

Expertise: have attended 3 Indian weddings, wore formal Indian clothes to two of them, I am not Indian. The one I didn't wear formal Indian clothes to was their 'American wedding,' where they wore "American clothes" as did all of the guests minus handful of American relatives relatives. They then went back to India to have their "Indian wedding." Rentals were fucking expensive. ~$700 outside Boston from ... I don't even know, a person's house in Waltham. I don't know what it's called, but I rented slacks, and a long decorative men's jacket, shoes, under shirt.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If you're asked to, it's definitely fine. I think it is likely fine even if you aren't because of the occasion but I would just double check first.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
you've been invited to take part in the culture so it's up to you. doubt anyone there will judge you harshly.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Some Indian people love white people showing up and treat them as unicorns when they come through, so might as well do it for the experience because high end Indian outfits look bomb.

Am Indian/Hindu.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just don't pull a Trudeau and overdo it.
This, It's appropriate and if you have any questions a brown friend can guide you through what to get/wear. I've been to brown events/ceremonies where non brown friends came and asked me what to wear. It's not a big deal at all and happens all the time.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Indian from India...yes do it.

Unlike a lot of other cultures, Indians like it when others dress in our clothing. Even as a daily wear. I know this white English girl who wore Salwar as a daily wear for like 4 years while we were in uni in UK, no one took offence and people liked it...and she looked beautiful!

Until she stopped wearing it one day and when I asked why she told me that another girl (a white girl) told her that she was appropriating and found it offensive..And I was like...lol.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Also Sherwanis are fucking boss. They are actually based on the English longcoat from Victorian era.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As South Asian (not Indian), I see absolutely no reason not to wear or ESPECIALLY SINCE THE BRIDE AND GROOM ARE OK... Enjoy the wedding.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
We have been invited to a friends wedding in the US and because the groom has Indian heritage they are having a small semi-Indian wedding.
Now we are wondering if it would be appropriate for us to borrow some Indian clothes from other friends to attend the wedding with.
The bride and groom are very much for that, but I wanted to make sure we wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes by doing it.

Most of what I've been reading online says it would be fine and appreciated by all.
So what say you Era?
We were in the same position and had the same dilemma and the bride and groom were the ones who let us borrow theirs and taught us how to wear the garments. What anyone else says in this event makes no difference.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Bengali, but I love when my friends wear saris or panjabis.
All the formal clothing is appreciated.

If you try and rock a lungi though, even in a casual setting, you will get questions.

Would you mind if I ask why? I'm not really familiar with either garment (had to google panjabis and lungi before knowing which type garment was which) but why is one frowned upon and one not? The lungi looks decidedly less formal to me, but why is it then frowned upon when non Indians use it as compared to the more fancy garments? Is it a class thing or is there a more historical reason? The overwhelming consensus in the thread seems to be positive towards formal wear, but it seems the lungi is a definite nono? .

Oct 28, 2017
Indian here.

Depends on the family. Close friends and family? They'll love it. My aunt married a white guy and his family totally got into the indian outfits. It's whatever YOU feel comfortable wearing.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If it's what other people there are doing, I highly doubt anyone would care.

Source: am an Indian dude

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
We have been invited to a friends wedding in the US and because the groom has Indian heritage they are having a small semi-Indian wedding.
Now we are wondering if it would be appropriate for us to borrow some Indian clothes from other friends to attend the wedding with.
The bride and groom are very much for that, but I wanted to make sure we wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes by doing it.

Most of what I've been reading online says it would be fine and appreciated by all.
So what say you Era?

Whatever the bride and groom want is the answer.

Their wedding, abide by their customs.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
In my experience, it's almost always white people who start to object and throw accusations of appropriation. We, in the other hand, almost always either love it or don't care.

I agree. I can think of several times in my life when someone wanted to share their culture with others, then some random white person felt like they had to step in and gatekeep for them. It was bizarre.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the people inviting you belong to that culture and want you to wear it, why not?

I say that as someone who has worn traditional Indian garments to Indian celebrations, because the hosts wanted us to.

Nothing wrong with it.