• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it Appropriate to Wear Traditional Indian Dress to an Indian Wedding as a Non-Indian?

• Yes

Votes: 307 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 11.1%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 78 18.0%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We have been invited to a friends wedding in the US and because the groom has Indian heritage they are having a small semi-Indian wedding.
Now we are wondering if it would be appropriate for us to borrow some Indian clothes from other friends to attend the wedding with.
The bride and groom are very much for that, but I wanted to make sure we wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes by doing it.

Most of what I've been reading online says it would be fine and appreciated by all.
So what say you Era?

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
If the bride and groom are okay with it, I don't see why not. In general I don't mind anyone wearing Indian outfits.

Krash

Oct 27, 2017
You already went straight to the source. If the bride and groom are enthusiastic about it and encourage it, then really that's all that matters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If the bride and groom are asking you to do it, and you make sure you take care to be respectful, I don't think it would be a problem.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My family and pretty much all other Indians I know would actively welcome non-Indians dressing in traditional Indian attire and I think it's pretty rare to find Indians that think otherwise.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
If anything, I think the bride and groom being for it, and them choosing a specifically Indian wedding means it would be kind of wrong not to take them up on the offer to borrow some clothes. Otherwise you're kind of spoiling the Indian aesthetic these Indian people are going for for the sake of staying in your lane or whatever. They're inviting you to participate, so participate.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
As noted you've already got the bride and groom's approval. It's their day, if they're encouraging you to do it then no one else can say shit lol.

fakeronjan

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely appropriate. Go for it. (Bengali Indian here - and several non-Indians wore Indian attire to my wedding.)

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely appropriate

Happens all the time

Addy Edwin

Aug 7, 2018
A Bangladeshi here (Indian neighbour with almost similar practices). Everyone actually likes it when foreigners wear sarees/panjabis, makes everyone feel like we're all part of the same crowd and are here together to have fun :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not cultural appropriation if you are being directly asked to participate.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yes completely fine. You need to wear proper shoes/chappal with Sherwani.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
seems quite common

my ma used to get invited to indian and pakistani weddings / events frequently and has a fine collection

52club

Oct 27, 2017
As a non-indian it is always interesting to me to see the split of the attire depending on the function and the parties involved.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If they said it's okay and even requested it, of course it's appropriate. I wouldn't consider it automatically okay without permission, though.

May 31, 2021
We have been invited to a friends wedding in the US and because the groom has Indian heritage they are having a small semi-Indian wedding.
Now we are wondering if it would be appropriate for us to borrow some Indian clothes from other friends to attend the wedding with.
The bride and groom are very much for that, but I wanted to make sure we wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes by doing it.

Most of what I've been reading online says it would be fine and appreciated by all.
So what say you Era?
What do you mean by "Indian clothes"? If it is something like a sari, you are going to need to have someone dress you, as you will not be able to do it yourself. If it is male clothes, then they are mostly straightforward.

I suggest thinking carefully about whether you do this. Are there going to be other non-Indian guests wearing Indian clothes? I would assume most of the (male) Indian guests will just wear suits. So you run the risk of standing out in a way that might make you feel self conscious.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
If the bride and groom are fine with it then it's fine. The dress is being worn out of respect, which is perfectly fine.

It's only bad if it's being worn to mock, which would be the opposite of what you're doing.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Yes absolutely. It's very common for non desis to wear desi traditional clothing during weddings and stuff.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
South Asian with a very traditional family. Yes, no one would mind and some would appreciate it.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Bengali, but I love when my friends wear saris or panjabis.
All the formal clothing is appreciated.

If you try and rock a lungi though, even in a casual setting, you will get questions.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just hope no one puts a picture on social media. People who have nothing to do with this might get very angry.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am Indian, I give you permission. In fact, I'd appreciate it. Bride/groom also like the idea so definitely go for it.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Yeah if bride and groom encourage it, then I would say yes.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

So what say you Era?

If the bride and groom are okay with it..I mean no offense, who cares what era thinks? It's obvious they want to share there culture with you, formal dress is fine. My wife is white, and she wore a hambok for my brother and cousin's wedding. Its fine.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
White guy married to an Indian woman here. I didn't wear anything Indian (aside from henna that took a month to wash off) for my wedding but my mom and sister wore saris and got lots of compliments.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they're having you do it then sure. If you just showed up in it with no prompting then maybe not

I've seen a lot of Indian weddings where it's encouraged/expected but it's probably case by case