• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Or rather, because I didn't feel like I was working on the things I felt were important to me.

I'd recommend securing a new job before dipping - double that during a pandemic - but it's a great reason. And it's a reason you can give during an interview when they ask "why are you looking to leave your current role?"

It doesn't reflect poorly on you or the company.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I left my last job because of that. I was a salary manager with the job description of a minimum wage employee. And while at first that was cool, because hey, I'm making more to do less! But eventually I dreaded going to work because I knew I'd have no tasks related to my position to complete.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
When I was a kid I wanted a exciting job, now I just want something easy to do while listening to music.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the fact that the "different demographic" statement Suggests you should expand your social skills to relate to more people, wanting a "fun" environment at work also suggests you may be young and not entirely focused on the work tasks. That's fine but you may find your attitude changing Over time.
I once had a coworker who spent entire days talking about spelling errors he found in newspapers, how videogames were bad, how he knew everything better even about stuff he wasn't caring about. Is your suggestion I work on my social skills? Sometimes people are just not relatable.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I was stuck in a tiny room with 5 other people, who all did almost no work. Like maybe like an hour or two a day. I used the time to learn other skills, but after about 6 months I bounced.

No regrets. It was soul crushing after the "I'm getting paid to do nothing!" high quickly wore off.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I work in an industry with an abundance of executives who have clearly checked out but fear the boredom that they associate with retirement because they've done it so long they can't even fathom what else is out there.

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to leave under those circumstances and I wish more people would.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I once had a coworker who spent entire days talking about spelling errors he found in newspapers, how videogames were bad, how he knew everything better even about stuff he wasn't caring about. Is your suggestion I work on my social skills? Sometimes people are just not relatable.
You're complaining about a single human who you found boring, not an entire demographic that happens to be different from you.

This is not the same and I'm not attacking either you or the OP, just making a statement that may apply. All humans should be expanding their skills, so yes, work on your social skills or stagnate.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Fully and fully. Work will take up most of your life depending on your job and career path.

If you don't vibe with the culture, leave and find or build a better one.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Thanks for the replies guys. Couldn't reply as quickly because as you would expect I'm at work right now. 😂 But yeah the work is similar to the last job I had which was much larger before I got laid off from Covid. This company is smaller but healthy, I get paid more but the lack of interesting people doesn't help stimulate my brain. Where as the last one did.

I'm still in the early days of working here so my work load is kind of a light to medium workload. Maybe it will pick up and I won't have time to talk but I'm not seeing it. I just got my first 2 paychecks from them. I figured I give it a few more paychecks to see if I end up liking it or if the people open up more. (It's possible they're not as talkative because we do socially distance and wear masks in the office) Otherwise, I'm going to have to look elsewhere for similar pay.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Is this boredom from lack of work to do or just boring ass people at work?

Because lack of work can suck, but I would take boring quiet people over the drama queens, Trumpers, and other characters I worked with in the past.

As for lack of work I just spent my time on the internet or phone. If that isn't an option than yeah get the fuck out.

Funny thing is I do listen to music and try to use the internet, but it just doesn't help the boredom.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I just can't imagine spending half my waking life being bored. Feels like such a waste.
I paid my dues and boring is my reward. It beats the alternative of scraping and scrambling all day.

tumblr_mksfdqE7TO1qcm16uo2_1280.jpg

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is I do listen to music and try to use the internet, but it just doesn't help the boredom.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side so I would make sure before you jump ship. Personally being paid to waste time on the internet is half the job for most people I know. Many aren't wired that way and reminds me of a coworker not too long ago who couldn't stand any down time. I am the opposite. As long as my boss isn't trying to squeeze blood from a turnip, demanding work to be done when there is no work that can be done, I am cool just sitting doing nothing at work.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I've worked 60-80 hour work weeks before and 6-8 work hour weeks. I will take 6-8 hours over 60-80 any day of the week. Fuck that work hard play hard bullshit.