• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
So is it acceptable to leave a job (yes you can always leave a job for whatever reason you want, not the point) or have you ever left a job because the work environment was dull or boring? In my case, would you leave a job environment if the work you did was fine and had better pay than you've ever had before, but the people that you work with just make it the most boring place to be for 8 hours a day? Like it's a small place that's silent nearly 100% of the time. No one understands any humor and they're mostly all a different demographic from myself.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I left my boring and unfulfilling office job to work from home as an artist.... Time fucking flliiiiieeees now.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
If it were fun it'd be called a hobby. Plus if you're only there for 8 hours a day you'll have plenty of time left to do exciting things and meet up with friends etc

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. 8 hours a day is a huge percentage of your life to give to a place that sucks your energy away.

If you can afford to look for something that makes you happier, there's nothing wrong with that. Being bored isn't the worst thing in the world, but if you feel like you can do better than your current situation, then you probably can.

I wouldn't give up being happy at work for extra money. But there's a balance there. I'm occasionally bored at work too. But 9 times out of 10, I'm not.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
My wife did that with her previous job. She liked the people she worked with, but never really had a lot to do. She was miserable, and her new job keeps her a lot busier. She likes it, but sometimes wonders why she left the other job.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you want to spend your life doing something that's important to you with people who are like you then that's as good a reason as any. Obviously, I wouldn't risk quitting a stable -- but boring -- job until you've lined up another one.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If we're talking just leaving flat out, in your situation I personally wouldn't no. I would instead focus on having a fulfilling personal life, making the most of my time off work, rather than gamble on potentially less money and less financial security just for a more fun work environment. I'd still look for a better job and look to leave once something better is lined up, sure, but the boring work environment wouldn't push me to accept a worse job.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I felt I was getting a bore-out, and that is why I left my previous job. I also communicated this honestly.
Although, in your case, have you tried just listening to music or something?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yes. Life is too short to spend 40+ hours a week doing something you hate.

A previous boss gave me that advice.

So I quit.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I felt myself dying slowly in my first job, and boredom is one of the reasons I left it.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people thrive on busy work; myself included. Helps the day go by and you feel like you actually did something.

If I could make as much money washing dishes or flipping burgers for 8 hours I would 100% do it.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I wish I could be bored at work.

Im just overworked and miserable. I stay only because I'm paid well and right now we need the benefits.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I worked a sales call job one time and I was actually in the top fifth of the company for daily sales (Not that hard only had to make like 3 or 4 sales per day to be there) but the job was so boring and monotonous I would stop for a nap at the end of every call. Eventually they reviewed it of course and fired me but I always found that funny, they clearly didn't care about results, and more about whether or not I did what they told me.
Terrible, minimum wage job anyways. I've got 2 calls from that company since (trying to sell me their junk) and I tried my best to encourage the salesperson to leave the company and find a better job (like I did).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I did this last year. I worked a 3AM tech support shift and had almost nothing to do. I always felt like I was about to be exposed for not working, but my manager never gave me anything to do or gave me bad feedback. In a sense it was kind of nice, but eventually I just got stir-crazy and switched jobs.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Boredom is probably a killer in some kind of strange way.

If i was bored all throughout work every goddamn day i would probably try to find something else very quickly. Just not good for my health tbh.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Is this boredom from lack of work to do or just boring ass people at work?

Because lack of work can suck, but I would take boring quiet people over the drama queens, Trumpers, and other characters I worked with in the past.

As for lack of work I just spent my time on the internet or phone. If that isn't an option than yeah get the fuck out.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Absolutely. I've been job searching all year because I'm bored. It's not the co-workers that make it boring, it's the lack of any kind of substantial or interesting projects. I actually have two offers but they take time due to the background check, and have been kind of backed up due to the pandemic.

Some people would love to be bored at work and that's fine. It doesn't give me any kind of mental stimulation, gets me kind of depressed, and I feel like my skills begin to stagnate which isn't great for career progression in IT/tech. For most of the year my workload has been very low so I've been spending much of my time on Udemy to refresh/gain skills for an upcoming job.

Edit: I forgot that the gaf thread is as old as it was. LOL. Always a fun read when it's brought up.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I strive for boring work environments, yours sounds like heaven.

Aside from the fact that the "different demographic" statement Suggests you should expand your social skills to relate to more people, wanting a "fun" environment at work also suggests you may be young and not entirely focused on the work tasks. That's fine but you may find your attitude changing Over time.

But any reason to change jobs is valid. What it does to your appeal as an employee is your problem.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
just like being let go/fired/made redundant for pretty much any reason, at least in the US. You can leave a job for any reason. If a future interview asks you about why you left, just say i wasn't being challenged.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Are you all sharing a physical space?
If so, try engaging some of them. Keep conversation light, and learn something about your colleagues.

After 20+ years, working, boring is good for me. I have friends to hang with or chat with if I want to shoot the shit.

But, yeah its nice to be able to shoot the shit at the office too. If that is a must, then be sure you know what you are actually leaving behind before you leave it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I got up and just walked out of a bank call center job one day. I'd been there for almost a year, but something just clicked where it was like "I can't take this". It's the only time I've ever left a job with no other jobs or prospects lined up. Took me a while to find work after, honestly, but it was draining and I just couldn't do it anymore. It was the same thing day in and day out and then the stupid pressure to hit sales targets when I was doing inbound calls, so I basically was getting paid to be that guy who I would HATE to be talking to on the other side of the phone, and then the meeting with your manager and then their manager when you didn't hit those targets, but they never actually provided any training or incentives to hit them. Anyway...day to day, my job can still be a little boring sometimes, but owning my own business, at least I have no one but myself, and my customers, to answer to.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
My initial and current response is still supportive that it's fair to leave an office job if you don't like the environment. But this last line...

No one understands any humor and they're mostly all a different demographic from myself.

This makes me think that you might want to consider that the "problem" might be you. Maybe try to be more open minded - you're the new person to the environment.

And you do have to be careful with humor in the workplace. I mean Michael Scott's perception of funny was a lot different than every other person's in the office place, and we always think we're Jim but just might be Michael. Or for a real example look up Brad Wardell from Stardock.

And Jim was kind of an asshole too.

Last edited:

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
I worked at Iceland frozen food and I filled the same freezer for a day and a half. I was that bored I was ready to just walk into the walk in freezer and not come out. I just handed my stuff back at the end of the day and left.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Boredom leads to burnout and is a legitimate reason to look for another job. Just be ready to tell interviewers what you are looking for to fulfill you at work. If you can't I'd be concerned you'll flake eventually.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I had a boring tech support job for a company that hardly had anything come in and it was excruciating. No access to the internet so I literally just had to sit and wait for something to come in. I put up with it for a while but they had an issue with a paycheck and it came late. When it happened a second time, I walked off the job.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I left my last job because i was often left with nothing to do and after a while that gets really boring, also was worried I would stagnate and find myself unemployable a couple of years later.

That just made me look for another job though, I absolutely wouldn't quit a job just because it is boring/unfulfilling without having something else lined up first.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty good reason. If you're not growing in your career or making progress towards what you want to be doing. Look for opportunities that would help you do that.