• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
I bought into the hype, but after playing for around 6-8 hours I realized this really isn't my kind of game, so I dropped it. The art direction is on point, and everything else screams quality. The hype is absolutely justified, if you like this type of gameplay.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
If you go into a game thinking "there's no way it could be as good as people say" you're gonna end up scrutinizing it more than 99% of people would and probably not enjoy it.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I did not finish the game, but I thought it was one of the most immersive games I've played in the past years period.

I played it on Switch on a handheld mode like 85% of the time, and the world and music sucked me into.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I played it on PS4 and loved it, I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

I enjoyed it a lot too. But comparing it to the rest of the ps4's library at the time it came out, it was just another great game of many. It was released on the Switch near the system's launch, and because it was very good, it was basically a must-have and Switch owners seemed to have really gravitated towards it. A game people were excited to have for a new system that they were extremely excited about... don't you think that would lead to a bit more overhyping? I've seen it talked about so much on Nintendo-related forums yet barely at all for other platforms.

Not saying any of this is fact... just the vibe I get.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Some people like it.

Some others don't.

It's not like anyone is lying or purposefully trying to mislead you, opinions just differ.

This just seems like an attitude that can only make you enjoy things less.

Oct 27, 2017
Inflated game length due to stupid amounts of backtracking aside, it's one of the absolute best games of the generation.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It's my favorite game of its type and maybe in my top 10ish ever. That said I certainly don't think it's for everyone, it's just really really for me.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot too. But comparing it to the rest of the ps4's library at the time it came out, it was just another great game of many. It was released on the Switch near the system's launch, and because it was very good, it was basically a must-have and Switch owners seemed to have really gravitated towards it. A game people were excited to have for a new system that they were extremely excited about... don't you think that would lead to a bit more overhyping? I've seen it talked about so much on Nintendo-related forums yet barely at all for other platforms.

It got a lot of talk from Switch owners because Switch was the first console it launched on, it surprise launched during E3 with the release announcement happening during Nintendo's presentation, releasing at E3 meant that journalists and podcasters and such suddenly had a new handheld game to play during their travels back and then talk about while a lot of eyes and ears were on their sites for E3 coverage, and the Switch release had all of the post-launch updates and DLC that had come to the PC version previously (while the PC release had gotten slightly overlooked from the mainstream, so that also contributed to the Switch release being the game basically getting a huge second wind in the public consciousness), and also it came out over a year after the Switch was out, not "near the launch."

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
It's $15 bucks.

I'm sure you'll find out everyone is lying and it's a horrendous game they had no fun playing.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
A friend of mine described it as "2D Bloodborne", which instantly caught my attention. Websites are full of effusive praise for it, and call it "one of the best games ever made".
Accurate
But is it actually that good?
It's better
But should I get it? Can you tell me if Hollow Knight is actually worth the immense hype it has accrued over the last two years?
Absolutely

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's one of the games I wish I loved. It just looks and plays amazing. But some elements ruined it for me.

I didn't like the map system, not enough checkpoints, fast travel points were bad. Retrieving your "souls" was a slog. And why do I have to fight my shadow to get them back?

It would be less tiring if all the points mentioned above wouldn't exist..
I just don't have time to replay long sections again and again.

Looking forward to the sequel. I hope it suits me better.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I couldn't get into it but I totally understand why people like it.

But when people say "it's the best game of all time" then that's a bit much.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it has perpetually been cheap as fuck to pick up compared to a lot of other games, no matter the platform, and every piece of DLC aside from Hornet's (since that's become the full blown sequel) is all rolled into the package, so as a purchase based on level of content, it's one of the best deals on the market.

I loved it, but each time I see Hollow Knight threads and the level of detractors, the more I realise it really isn't for everyone. It requires a lot of attention, has a pretty nebulous way of presenting what you need to do (initially) and a mapping system that rubs some people up the wrong way. You're obviously interested, you've got little to lose, give it a try.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get into it but I totally understand why people like it.

But when people say "it's the best game of all time" then that's a bit much.

It's the best game of all time.

A-VoB3oCIAA-1uP.jpg

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Like none of what you said is true. First console it launched on plus being DLC complete Is why people talked about it. Also the fact that portable metroidvanias and the Nintendo audience have an affinity.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
It got a lot of talk from Switch owners because Switch was the first console it launched on, it surprise launched during E3 with the release announcement happening during Nintendo's presentation, releasing at E3 meant that journalists and podcasters and such suddenly had a new handheld game to play during their travels back and then talk about while a lot of eyes and ears were on their sites for E3 coverage, and the Switch release had all of the post-launch updates and DLC that had come to the PC version previously (while the PC release had gotten slightly overlooked from the mainstream, so that also contributed to the Switch release being the game basically getting a huge second wind in the public consciousness), and also it came out over a year after the Switch was out, not "near the launch."

Oh I thought it was closer. But the second year of a system is still very soon, relatively speaking. That's usually when game libraries just start to pick up more for any console.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its a good game. It doesnt cure cancer. No need to overthink a $15 piece of software made by a small team.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

People were already praising the game before it released on Switch. This is a genre that is very well represented on PC, and it still managed to make an impression on many.

The game really took off in terms of public perception once it hit Switch, but I think part of that is to do with Nintendo owners historically being more open to 2D games.

Finally, indeed there are many great games on PS4 but not so many great 2D metroidvania style titles so this scratches a different itch entirely. Also so many people here are talking about is as a "2D Bloodborne" suggests quite a number of players are PS4 owners.

For me, it's probably top 5 of the generation and an absolute steal for the price.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Hollow Knight is not the best video game, it is the only video game.

I've been having trouble enjoying other games since I've played HK. I got spoiled that games either are not that good, not that long, or if they do they stop being rewarding and just get repetitive.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's in game pass, if you have that it's really a no brainier to try it.

Even if you don't have GP you can get two months for £/$2....there's no risk in that all

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Completely overhyped. Way too long. Awful mapping. Slog of backtracking. Lack of environmental variety. Gave the game five hours and dropped it. There's a reason good Metroidvanias are much shorter.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Inflated game length due to stupid amounts of backtracking aside, it's one of the absolute best games of the generation.

That's actually a strange thing to say as the whole concept of metroidvania is backtracking. Just to add to that, the amount of bosses and new areas is a lot more than any of the recent metroidvanias I have seen for a game this size. Also, they have two expansion packs.

To answer the OP, not overhyped. As someone else in the thread already said, if you like souls and metroidvania, you will probably like this.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is not the best video game, it is the only video game.

I've been having trouble enjoying other games since I've played HK. I got spoiled that games either are not that good, not that long, or if they do they stop being rewarding and just get repetitive.

Same for me but it's been particular for indie games. I've been sifting through tons of indies in the last year trying to find the next Hollow Knight, and it's been a slog.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
What is it about this game that makes people so standoff-ish? It's like we have a thread like this every week.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I couldn't get into it, but I'm not a huge fan of the genre (Metroidvania)

I think maybe if I didn't have to find the map maker or whatever for every new area I would've enjoyed the game more.

With that said, a lot of people love it so if you like the genre you should enjoy it.

This. I'm not a fan of the genre but based on what people were saying about it, I thought maybe this game would be so good that even someone who doesn't enjoy metroidvania's would enjoy it. For me, it wasn't. The environments were neat though.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Do you like:
Fuckin good boss fights
Motherfuckin atmosphere
Good ambient music
Finding dope-ass upgrades/abilities
Cute as shit insect art
??

Then yea it's worth a shit.

Just be aware the map system is fucking garbage. Just stick with it and eventually you'll have enough maps where It is no longer a problem.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
What is it about this game that makes people so standoff-ish? It's like we have a thread like this every week.

Isn't it the same loop that all games which are hyped and praised in resetera go through ? Some people can't accept when a game gets praised a lot. Either it's them actually not liking the game or it's them trying to be contrarian just for the sake of being different from the crowd.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I tried it for about half an hour before getting bored. The monochrome visuals didn't help. It was like a lullaby.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
This attitude isn't nice, imo. You're talking about a game made by two people. It's not a big game by a big corporation. You don't have to be so aggressive.

I say as someone who does not like the game. Just be nice. The world is so shit. Idk, perhaps I'm too sensitive.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Like none of what you said is true. First console it launched on plus being DLC complete Is why people talked about it. Also the fact that portable metroidvanias and the Nintendo audience have an affinity.

Switch owners were thirsty for games a year after the system came out. What you said might have helped too. But what we both said is opinion and valid :) not fact... have a good one