• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Halo hype coming back

• Halo hype is approaching peak levels

Votes: 306 15.5%
  • We are not there yet but I can see the levels rising

Votes: 778 39.3%
  • Meh, its no different than with halo 5

Votes: 237 12.0%
  • Halo hype is a shell of it's former self and it'll be never be there with the big boys again

Votes: 578 29.2%
  • Halo is dead/irrelevant/I don't like fun/Christmas? Humbug!

Votes: 80 4.0%

• Total voters
Jun 15, 2020
So are you. It's very telling when you and certain other posters here are posting.

none of my issues were made up. They fucked up the controls so bad that it made halo 5 bad. It was way better in the beta and you can find many agreeing with me. So you and the other ones pretending that I'm anti xbox is laughable and frankly pathetic

The controls?! What are you even talking about? Change your controls, silly.

You've had an awful attitude toward Xbox not just in this topic, but in many. It's transparent as hell.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
after being disappointed by 5 I was wary about Infinite but my hype levels are slowly rising

I'm still apprehensive above being burned again though

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
343 with back to back average Halo games, I'll wait for the reviews

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So are you. It's very telling when you and certain other posters here are posting.

none of my issues were made up. They fucked up the controls so bad that it made halo 5 bad. It was way better in the beta and you can find many agreeing with me. So you and the other ones pretending that I'm anti xbox is laughable and frankly pathetic
The controls? What are you even talking about lol? Halo 5 is one of the if not the best controling FPS on the market. They perfected the gunplay in Halo 5.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I had a quick look on Google search analytics and the answer is: absolutely not. People don't care about the Halo franchise even close to like they used to.

Worldwide Halo interest from 2004-present day:

CE7-F389-F-D563-43-B8-9106-72-A7-C978-E773.png

One could argue that gamers don't necessarily google games as much as they used to. For instance I usually go to reddit unless im looking for something really specific about the game. I think many do the same. And if we look at the reddit metrics it tells another story. The subreddit reached 200k subs in july last year. It has grown by more than double from then till now and is at 466k. Its in the top 1000 subreddits and probably top 10 or 20 gaming subreddits.

Nov 2, 2017
I hope they knock it out of the park with next week's reveal. Infinite hype is real for me, even after being disappointed with halo 5.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll always be hyped for new Halo releases. Even 5 which had a pretty bad campaign is a game I overall ended up enjoying quite a bit (and has some of the best MP in the series). But I feel like the 5 year break has done Halo good. They've hopefully had time to get it right this time, and it has helped combat franchise fatigue which has been an issue for a series like Gears.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why this series is so popular...

I enjoyed it from Halo 1 - 2 but it wore out on me.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny TTK is an expansion, I don't even count that as a game, it's DLC.

TTK is an expansion. But there was a Destiny TTK SKU that included the full Destiny game and all DLC that released prior to TTK. This SKU was tracked as a separate game from vanilla Destiny despite actually being a sale of vanilla Destiny. This is the reason why Halo5 charted higher than Destiny.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
- it's set on yet another Halo. We have been to a Halo ring how many times now? at least over 3, it's played out and shows a lack of imagination. There's a whole universe to explore, do something new. It would be like God of War being set in Greece again or returning to Shadow Moses repeatedly throughout the Metal Gear Solid series.

Those may be the worst analogies I've ever seen on Era. Halo is named that for a reason. You can't really get away from those rings.

It's like asking for all deities to be removed from God of War...

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I never truly liked Halo, never like how it felt, the story or how the impact of the gun felt so weird in me opinion. I did have some friends that were huge fans of Halo, pretty much of every Halo game until 4 after that their hype fell, hopefully this next one is good.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Halo doesn't command the same respect it used to. A shell of it's former self, and a franchise that has fallen stagnant.

I don't even think a mainline Halo has cracked at a 90+ on MC with critics since Reach..

a261rd9pi3w41.png

Halo is undoubtedly not at the levels it reached with Halo 3, but I'm not sure the Metacritic average is a good sole argument for the games relevance. Unless you would also argue the Final Fantasy series is an irrelevant shell of its former self. Of course, some might.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Oh it's definitely here. I dunno any other franchise that has changed hands, had 2 disappointing releases and still gets treated like best in industry quality.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Halo is undoubtedly not at the levels it reached with Halo 3, but I'm not sure the Metacritic average is a good sole argument for the games relevance. Unless you would also argue the Final Fantasy series is an irrelevant shell of its former self. Of course, some might.

Probably not a great example because I think most people would concur with Final Fantasy's MC trend. Which is high in the PS1/early PS2 era, dropping and into the bad in the PS3 era and rising again in the PS4 era.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those may be the worst analogies I've ever seen on Era. Halo is named that for a reason. You can't really get away from those rings.

It's like asking for all deities to be removed from God of War...

So you want to eternally return to the well worn out by now Halo rings despite there being an entire universe of possibilities to explore...

Metal Gear Solid 3 didn't feature Metal Gear nor Solid Snake, you don't have to add the thing the game is named after so often.

All I know is i'd have rathered we we going anywhere but Halo. All the sights, installations, scenery etc, it's too familiar.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The weapon balance, map design, lack of vehicle play on said maps, power weapon placement and movement mechanics were designed around high competitive play. Just because automatic weapons were actually worth using doesn't mean it wasn't made for competitive play. Motion Tracker is a staple of Halo's gameplay aswell so again, just because it's enabled doesn't mean the games core gameplay was not designed for pro play.

Honestly Warzone is fine. If anything with an overhaul it has alot of potential and can even be used as the base for an expanded Invasion mode. It was a great way for 343i to experiment with enemies, vehicles and weapons too.

The weapon balance was casual. Pros prefer no autos at all, not autos that kill faster and easier than the starting weapons. Autos made for competitive play would have a heightened skill component - like CSGo or R6. The rule of thumb for pro weapon balancing is that the harder a weapon is to use, the more quickly it should kill. Halo5 crapped all over that philosophy.

Maps were designed to accommodate spartan abilities - which pros players didn't want. Pros also didnt want maps that favor one team over the other - which is unacceptable in a competitive focused game.

Motion tracker wouldnt be mandatory in a Halo game designed for competitive play. But unlike previous Halo's, Halo 5 MP falls apart without radar because of the aforementioned, non-pro focused design choices.

Power Weapon placement uses the exact same principles as every Halo game before it. I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Pro players have been against these movement mechanics since Halo reach started implementing them. It's quite hilarious to try to shift the narrative to suggest they were designed FOR pro play. The weren't designed around high level play - they were balanced to appeasing players who were put off by Halo4s complete abandonment of Halo engagement principles- which was most Halo fans, not just competitive players.

Its funny to see people advocating for these movement mechanics - saying they contribute to it being amongst the best Halos ever - while simultaneously complaining that they were designed for pros to a fault. Meanwhile the while pros been decrying them since 2010. Its nonsense.

The lack of vehicles on maps can be explained by 343 giving so much focus to Warzone that other modes suffered. Warzone maps ARE your vehicle maps - and it's a patently non pro focused mode. This decision has nothing to do with pro players.

Last edited:

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This trailer has potential. But unfortunately I don't think we can get back to halo 3 days.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I think Infinite might have more hype than 4 or 5, but it's nowhere near what 2-3 had. Personally I couldn't care less at this moment as I don't trust 343 to make a good one. We will see.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So you want to eternally return to the well worn out by now Halo rings despite there being an entire universe of possibilities to explore...

Metal Gear Solid 3 didn't feature Metal Gear nor Solid Snake, you don't have to add the thing the game is named after so often.

All I know is i'd have rathered we we going anywhere but Halo. All the sights, installations, scenery etc, it's too familiar.

I think you mean you are sick of Forerunner Architecture as a poster did point out the last time a shooter was set on a Halo was Halo 3, which was 13 years ago.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The controls? What are you even talking about lol? Halo 5 is one of the if not the best controling FPS on the market. They perfected the gunplay in Halo 5.
Halo 5's gunplay and combat feel are dope. On point. Halo 5 is my favorite competitive shooter of this entire generation because of it.
Halo 5's aim/camera control have been a point of contention among the game's most ardent fans since it released, however.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
God of War was pretty tired and there was a definite lack of hype following God of War: Ascension, but they got it all back when they made a great game that did fresh things while retaining core parts of it's personality.

It might take fresh eyes and new talent, but mostly what they need to do is release a great game. 343 has never managed that so I'm not optimistic.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Xbox console + the return of MC + PC day one means it will be a lot bigger than 5.

Looking forward to seeing actual gameplay next week!

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

We didnt visit a Halo in Reach 4 or 5. I'd say Requiem, Sanghelios and Genesis are some of the most striking environments we've seen in the franchise. I dont think it's fair to say we dont explore other areas of the universe. If I had to guess we'll be visiting other planets as well.

Aside from HaloCE, our time actually spent on Halo rings has been pretty small overall, IMO

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Gentle reminder that Halo 4 sits on an 87% Metacritic rating.

I don't know too many people who would consider Halo 4 to be a great game, but I don't think it was terrible by any means.

Even within the MC bubble, Halo 4 is only the 17th highest rated Xbox 360 game of 2012.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
As a hardcore Bungie-Halo fan from 1-ODST, I can't imagine a timeline in which a new Halo appeals to me. They've taken it so far away from what I liked about it, and I just don't see them bring it back.

Shame.

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 4 sadly killed Halo hype for me. It was equally another reason why I wasn't too disheartened to switch from Xbox to PlayStation with the XboxOne to PS4 generation. I didn't need to play Halo 5. Which is a shame as Halo 1&2 on original Xbox were reason alone to make me need a 360 for 3.

infinite for me (granted we know very little about it), does not have the Halo hype for me that I had back then.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
It'll never be Halo 3 again. That was one of the most special weeks in gaming ever.

But come Thursday I have a feeling we're gonna see some love.

As someone with about 38 DAYS of cumulative Halo 5 play time at last check. (So like 920 hours) and 75% of that into MCC as well, I am hyped out of my mind.

Thursday can't come soon enough.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing the MCC, especially with Halo 1,2 and 3 and it reminded me how awesome of a game series that was. If Halo Infinity brings back to the feeling I first had when I booted up Halo and got to explore that ring world, man.. It kicks the hype into overdrive for me. Halo: Infinity is the only game that I am super looking forward for and I expect them to give it their all. especially after the lack luster receptions of Halo 4 and especially 5. Less corridor areas, more open sandbox combat with vehicles.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think its ever going to reach the highs of 2 or 3 hype again, those were the days when Halo fever was everywhere at least in the US. Tons of local bars used to hold system link tourneys and the like, it was nuts how widespread the popularity was at the time.

Would definitely be nice to see it get a resurgence in popularity again, I kinda fell off myself after Reach but am anxious to see how Infinite shapes up. I really just want some of those wide vista sandbox feels the early games instilled, with that glorious soundtrack pumping the classic theme while I run over things in a Warthog, in coop of course.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Halo Infinite is the biggest title of next gen launch. Ater the gameplay demo there will be tons of talks about gameplay, story , art direction, new perspectives etc ... not all the games can provide such passions and debates.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I HATE IT SO MUCH I AM TRYING SO HARD TO NOT GET HYPED AND THEN CRUSHED AGAIN WHY DOES HALO DO THIS TO ME.

Like FUCK I thought I was over it, but I saw the 6 days thing and now I'm hyped as hell. It is bubbling up inside me and I cannot ignore it. I hate you 343. Please don't crush my spirits again.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is old enough to have experienced peak halo hype through halo 2 and 3 and who worked a midnight halo 3 release, the hype is not even comparable. Halo was a pop culture phenomenon that was unprecedented in video gaming at the time. That being said halo infinite is 4 months from release and we have seen basically nothing of it. Microsoft is just marketing this one different. We've also only had two halo shooters in the last 8 years. I'm personally quite ready for one, especially if they are really doing something different with Infinite. They wanted to do something different with five and had to scrap most of it due to development difficulties, I hope infinite actually accomplishes it's goals.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Probably not a great example because I think most people would concur with Final Fantasy's MC trend. Which is high in the PS1/early PS2 era, dropping and into the bad in the PS3 era and rising again in the PS4 era.

But the series has not come close to hitting the highs of the golden era of FF again. The last FF over 90 was released 14 years ago.

Basically my point was that getting back to that 90+ Metacritic isn't a requirement for success. If it gets to where FF is now, 85+ with new and long-time fans that are happy then that could be enough. As demonstrated by people's renewed interest in FF even though it doesn't review like it used to.

chimpsteaks

β–² Legend β–²
Sep 12, 2019
It's possible no game will ever match the hype and hysteria of the Halo 3 launch, but it's nice to see Infinite getting a lot of buzz

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited based on the trailers, but having played through Halo 5 recently, I dunno.

It's hard to put words on it, but the 343 games feel like big budget imposters. They're like a restaurants impression of home cooking, high in technical quality but the heart isn't there.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
this happens with every Halo since bungie moved on, everyone gets hyped and the games turn out so mediocr. Really hope they prove me wrong make a huge change to the formula

Oct 25, 2017
I try to get hyped and then remember the Halo lore thread we had a few weeks back and lose all interest.
All the convoluted bullshit they came up with to keep the story going after Halo 3 read like bad fan fiction.