• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Er, you realize GTA5 is usually among the top 5 games sold every month even though it's 7 years old right?

GTAO is a juggernaut. I'm not sure if GTA6 is the most anticipated game given I have no idea if the average player gives a damn about a sequel or just wants to keep playing GTAO as it is.
Imagine how many would play gta online if the servers weren't a nightmare. If the ps5 version solves this then it will have even more players active.

Anyway GTA V sold like 10M at launch coming off the less successful GTA 4. Imagine what 6 could do including digital. 20M at full price? That's serious bread.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
TESVI is a pretty big contender.

I'd almost say they're equal but Bethesda has wasted good will recently. Fallout 4 wasn't as well received and 76 Wastelanders basically ran their rep into the toilet. So I don't think they're even anymore.

TES is a bigger IP than Fallout, and Bethesda's last TES game is the most well-known RPG ever released. Personally, I couldn't care less for Bethesda's Fallout games (I think they're boring and samey and lack what makes The Elder Scrolls magical). So TES 6 is still highly anticipated, regardless of Bethesda's Fallouts.

That said, word of the mouth seems to be good for the Wastelanders expansion, not sure why you think it ran their rep into the toilet. I personally didn't play it, but people who did told me it has some very good writing and massively improved the base FO76.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I wonder what kind of controversy gta6 will face. It will be extremely difficult to make a gta game that pleases everyone

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
OP said "of all time".

I think it's difficult to assess the anticipation for something that hasn't been announced or exists in some form. No one really talks about it, and no one knows anything about it. I'm sure a lot of people are excited, but it's really difficult to be the most anticipated thing when there's nothing conclusive to be anticipating for. I can see the same amount of anticipation for The Witcher 4 or Fallout 5.
even taking that into account, GTAVI is hyped up more than any HL game easily, GTAV has sold more than the entire HL franchise combined

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Yes it is. GTAV was the biggest game in the last decade. The sequel will break all the records.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine how many would play gta online if the servers weren't a nightmare. If the ps5 version solves this then it will have even more players active.

Anyway GTA V sold like 10M at launch coming off the less successful GTA 4. Imagine what 6 could do including digital. 20M at full price? That's serious bread.

GtaV did like 20 million first week, or damn close.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How can anyone be hyped over something they know literally, LITERALLY nothing about?

Oct 26, 2017
Eh I ain't too stirred up about it

I honestly don't know what my most anticipated game is at the moment, maybe Titanfall 3 or Fallen Order 2.

OP
OP
Space Lion

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
GtaV did like 20 million first week, or damn close.

Didn't GTAV do a billion in revenue before GTA Online was even out?

www.theverge.com

'Grand Theft Auto V' sets record by earning $1 billion in just three days

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Correction: it obtained 1 billion in just three days.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It is for me. GTA has been my most-anticipated game ever since Vice City was announced. After the jump they made with RDR2, I can't wait to see what they can come up with on next-gen systems, especially since we didn't get a GTA game this gen. It should be a massive step up from GTAV. But the wait for it is going to be brutal.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
TESVI is a pretty big contender.

I'd almost say they're equal but Bethesda has wasted good will recently. Fallout 4 wasn't as well received and 76 Wastelanders basically ran their rep into the toilet. So I don't think they're even anymore.

lol Skyrim's only gotten 30 million sold, if your being generous(it was at 20 in 2014). GtaV is at 130 milion.

Harley

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2020
the Oldest House, NYC, NY
I don't think so. It's going to do very well, obviously, but the anticipation for casuals doesn't really start to build until they've seen a preview of some sort. For comparison, Cyberpunk is much more anticipated. During the lead-up, RDR2 was much more anticipated.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't GTAV do a billion in revenue before GTA Online was even out?

www.theverge.com

'Grand Theft Auto V' sets record by earning $1 billion in just three days

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Correction: it obtained 1 billion in just three days.

Yeah. I wonder where the games revenue stands these days? 5 billion?

Will GTAVI be the first game to cost a billion just to make lol

Anyelocp

Mar 28, 2019
Gta v cost 250 million to make, i can't imagine the budget for GTA VI. 1 billion? That shit Gonna be unreal

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I thought we'd all agreed that it is Metroid Prime 4. With GTA V being the new Skyrim, I don't see GTAVI being the most anticipated game

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Those server issues you mention were present in GTA4 back in 2008 so odds are...probably not gonna happen. Perhaps GTA6 has a chance to finally fix their archaic network issues.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I think its one of those games people expect is coming and will be excited when it is revealed or rumored to be close but there isn't a vocal segment of gamers demanding its appearance unlike other major sequels.

People seem more antsy awaiting an Elder Scrolls and new-From-Software-game reveal than a new GTA.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not anticipating GTA6 at all. Haven't even crossed my mind, even when Rockstar logo showed up at the PS5 event. The first thing I thought was RDR2 for some reason, most likely because it was the most recent thing they put out.

I need Dragon Age 4 to happen before EA kill Bioware though. I'll buy the base game with no dlc in Early Access just to keep it forever. Going in with low game completion expectations to be surprised if they finish the game.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
lol Skyrim's only gotten 30 million sold, if your being generous(it was at 20 in 2014). GtaV is at 130 milion.
That's not true. Skyrim sold far more than 30M by now. Bethesda just doesn't release its sales figures. It was estimated that it sold over 30M in 2016, around the time PS4 and Xbox One and PC special edition were released, well before the Switch version and Playstation VR version. It's been four years since then. It's probably around 50M by now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure being the biggest game makes you the most anticipated - the majority of GTA players probably aren't actively awaiting the next instalment, even though they'll pick it up when it comes out.

I think Elder Scrolls 6 hits that spot between mass appeal and having enthusiasts clamouring for it to show up somewhere.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Easily. You never know when a new property will pop up and capture the zeitgeist, like a League of Legends or a Minecraft, but as far as known franchise I can't think of anything else.

Wow the responses here are so bad.

"I don't think so because I'm not interested in it" is probably the most poor response possible.

"No one cares about GTAV" the game still tops charts and it's a 7 year game.

Bizarre arguments here. Are the sales thread discussions better? Because damn.
Just the latest example in a long list of them where Era is completely out of touch with the mainstream gaming scene. Like shockingly so.

tellmewhy_not

Mar 2, 2020
I'm not so sure. Cyberpunk 2077 might be the most anticipated game. Maybe not of all time but definitely of 2020, especially considering the influence and reputation CD Projekt Red has built up because of it (+ the Witcher games).

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I feel like I'm too old and busy now to care compared to when I was a teenager. Before I would watch the GTA 4 trailer or mgs 4 trailer a few years before release and be hyped for a long time. Now I don't get hyped until around the 2 week from release mark.

I do get the rare buzz though, FF7R was my latest hype game and before then it was honestly MGSV in terms of being hyped for a long time (damn amazing trailers)

I feel like once GTAVI actually gets announced then it'll be the defacto hype game for the general public. Personally, it's just been so long since a new release that I won't get the jitters until the game is almost released.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Of all time? No that would be Half Life 3.
Right now for the general public? Probably.
For me personally? Hell no.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
To be excited for something I first need to see it. Even with Final Fantasy (which im a big fucking fanboy for) I would need to see XVI to know where it goes this time to get actually excited.

Oct 25, 2017
It may very well have the largest quantity of people anticipating it to some degree for sure.
I don't get the impression that the depth of that anticipation is anywhere near the levels of a lot of other series though.
Like, I just don't see a lot of GTA hype in general on any gaming forums.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Yeah, but not for me; can't care less about GTA, tbh.

I'm more hyped about the next World of Darkness games: VtM: Bloodlines 2 and Werewolf: The Apocalypse.

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
Pretty sure the general public doesn't really think about a game until marketing for it starts. I guess after it's announced, this will be true, but right now? Who knows?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Easily be breaking all the records on release, but I think the anticipation will only really show once R* announces it.