• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Agreed. Honking on the "It's a trope" horn does have a tendency in conversations like these to ignore the fact that, in the real world, these things happen. People die, and other people keep on living -- that it becomes the starting point (if not the basis, in my estimation) of the story of God of War is less uninspired and simply a reminder that God of War has changed: death never meant that much in God of War because so much of the time spent playing it was about not caring about others or their wishes. This game starts there. It develops actual characters that aren't looking to be the center of the violence.

People say the same things about stereotypes. It doesn't make it right. The trope exists in the first place because it's critical of the fact that it's exceedingly common that female characters exist purely to serve as a male character's motivations. In this case, the trope itself is a problem.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
People say the same things about stereotypes. It doesn't make it right. The trope exists in the first place because it's critical of the fact that it's exceedingly common that female characters exist purely to serve as a male character's motivations. In this case, the trope itself is a problem.

But does Faye server Kratos or does he her? The ending of the game reveals he's a pawn in her plans. So how can her only role to be to serve the main male character if he's subservient to her manipulations?

Again her death wasn't the motivating factor. It was her will that is. If she hadn't asked them to spread her ashes, then Kratos and Atreus would have just stayed at their cabin and never left. This is the problem with saying that she was fridged, because it's only because of her will that they're on the journey. When a character is fridge, their death, the literally act of them dying, is what spurs the character into action.

In this case it wasn't the death itself that spurred them, it is the request she made.

It really feels like the definition of fridging is starting to become: "Is a mother/girlfriend character dead? It's fridging."

Edit: Which is quite harmful because it dilutes the understanding of why the term was coined in he first place.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree. I would have less of a problem with it if it was actually depicted by the character herself. But the fact that the "perfect fairer sex" was just regurgitated to us by male characters makes it a lot harder to feel its organic character building and more of just using ideals about femininity from hundreds of years ago.

Again I didn't use it wrongly, I specifically stated what I found to be oversimplified and patronizing. I'm not conitnuning to have the semantics debate with you. Youve really latched onto that aspect of my argument and it seems its only because you don't want to respond to the main points Ive addressed for why this is problematic. Ive addressed why only male characters depicting her in this light is an issue. You want to keep ignoring that context and acting as if I'm saying you can't say positive things about female characters. If you want to ignore the context to which Ive provided for why this way of building her character is problematic that says a hell of a lot about the lengths youre willing to go to to suggest shes a strong female character despite the fact that everything you can glean from her has nothing to do with her as a character or anyone from that gender.

Shrug, so what youre saying is I didn't even have to make the disclaimer about her god hood because she lived as a mortal giant which would negate any suggestion that she was a perfect person? Ok, thanks for reminding me and making my argument that much stronger. Having male personifications of a perfect woman without getting to see or understand that character through any other means but mansplaining is problematic.

In addition to the fact that she was nothing but a mechanism to give our male leads motivation, by dying, and then only having her character taught to us by the various male characters throughout the game.

You yourself admitted or implied you didn't know what mansplaining meant. When I asked you to learn what the term meant, your response was "Maybe" followed by more mis-characterised complaints. The only reason you're now going with the argument that all the recollections and stories of Faye were condescending or patronising, is because I later explained that the definition of mansplaining isn't just men explaining things to women, but that the explanation has to also be condescending, patronising, arrogant, insulting etc. Only since then are you (imo disingenuously) claiming the stories of Faye constituted those things.

So let me ask you this, at what point did any of the stories about Faye involve any patronising, condescension, or insult? Please explain how you've come to this conclusion or what made you think this.

Also, why do you keep referring to "perfect fairer sex"? What do you even mean by this? Are you suggesting that any such positive depiction of a female character that isn't alive, by other male characters (the very few that are in the game) is an inherently negative thing? Should living male characters in stories never compliment or speak highly of dead female characters?

To that point, Faye's skin colour or appearance was never promoted, nor was her gender ever a key point of any of her compliments, rather they were merely stories of the decent, commendable and noble things she did or the abilities or prowess she possessed. Further to that, Faye was never referred to as a perfect being nor is the implication that she is perfect, simply that she is decent, revered and powerful. The misconstrued argument that she's fair and perfect, like most of your other arguments, are false assumptions you yourself have conjured to be an issue because of your own inherent biases or preconceived notions/narratives.

And yes, you claiming she is a God does matter, because it's just one more example that highlights how you likely didn't actually pay much attention to the story or what characters were even saying about her to begin with.

Finally, on the point about Faye being fair, whilst it is likely and possible that Faye is fair skinned since they are in Scandinavian esque regions and the world set in Norse mythology, her skin colour isn't actually specified. In the murals her skin colour is actually depicted as ever so slightly darker than Kratos and Atreus.

Kratos and Atreus mural

Faye mural

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megatron

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this detailed reply. I understand your critism somewhat better now.

Faye's prophesying their journey to the mountain peak and being the literal architect isn't enough to defy your expectations?
For me, no, because it's still a dead woman who has motivated the men to do something. The only way to really defy expectations of that trope is to have her revealled to still be alive, or in Valhalla or something.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
In the game, the agency is
But does Faye server Kratos or does he her? The ending of the game reveals he's a pawn in her plans. So how can her only role to be to serve the main male character if he's subservient to her manipulations?

Again her death wasn't the motivating factor. It was her will that is. If she hadn't asked them to spread her ashes, then Kratos and Atreus would have just stayed at their cabin and never left. This is the problem with saying that she was fridged, because it's only because of her will that they're on the journey. When a character is fridge, their death, the literally act of them dying, is what spurs the character into action.

In this case it wasn't the death itself that spurred them, it is the request she made.

You yourself even admit that if Faye didn't die, there'd be no game. Which is the problem. That for some reason, this trope can't be subverted and provide Faye actual agency within the game itself. Why did the writers need to have Faye to die in the game in order to advance the plot? Why did they have to revert to that trope in order to have what otherwise would be a fascinating character be absent in her husband's quest?

Of course, it's just as well that SSM went that route, but I can understand people calling it lazy. Saying that she had all this amazing power and influence in the past and then revealing that she intended for them to go on this journey at the very end isn't what a great character makes.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

You yourself even admit that if Faye didn't die, there'd be no game. Which is the problem. That for some reason, this trope can't be subverted and provide Faye actual agency within the game itself. Why did the writers need to have Faye to die in the game in order to advance the plot? Why did they have to revert to that trope in order to have what otherwise would be a fascinating character be absent in her husband's quest?

Of course, it's just as well that SSM went that route, but I can understand people calling it lazy. Saying that she had all this amazing power and influence in the past and then revealing that she intended for them to go on this journey at the very end isn't what a great character makes.

She'd be found, killed and probably revealed access to Jotunheim to Baldur or whatever killer Odin sent.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): History of trolling/feigning outrage and antagonizing other members
Absolutely op is right.

Will never support another game from Santa monica studio again.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like this is so loaded. Cause your basically asking why they didn't make the story completely different? You can't say it's fucking lazy when they made the choice to not show her but rather show the influence she has over the story.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I feel like this is so loaded. Cause your basically asking why they didn't make the story completely different? You can't say it's fucking lazy when they made the choice to not show her but rather show the influence she has over the story.

I'm criticizing the plot of the story and the characterization and what could have been done differently. SSM clearly made a choice and I'm providing you my criticisms with it. Just like any other form of media. And yes, reverting to a trope in this case and building off that is lazy in comparison to subverting it entirely, IMO.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm criticizing the plot of the story and the characterization and what could have been done differently. SSM clearly made a choice and I'm providing you my criticisms with it. Just like any other form of media. And yes, reverting to a trope in this case and building off that is lazy in comparison to subverting it entirely, IMO.

Everything is a trope. Saying trope this, trope that is incredibly lazy criticism.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What makes it a problem? You're basically saying it's not acceptable for someone to have a story that begins with the death of a character, which serves as motivation for events in the story. Or is it only a problem if the person who died is female and the protagonist male? Would it be OK if the sexes were reversed, or if the sex of both characters were the same? What makes it OK, if so? Simply because its not as common?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I've elaborated why I take issue with the characterization many times beyond calling it a trope in this thread, but misconstrue my argument however you'd like.

Every argument you have made removes any context or information given to us by the game. You ignore every bit of information we learned about her and what influence she had over the story by just keep going back to the same thing: "But she died to motivate Kratos". It assumes that she died specifically do that and it also tries to stretch the definition of fridging in an attempt to make your argument stronger.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
What makes it a problem? You're basically saying it's not acceptable for someone to have a story that begins with the death of a character, which serves as motivation for events in the story. Or is it only a problem if the person who died is female and the protagonist male? Would it be OK if the sexes were reversed, or if the sex of both characters were the same? What makes it OK, if so? Simply because its not as common?

If you don't understand why in 2018 that having a dead female act as the primary motivation to a male protagonist is bothersome to some, then I don't know what to tell you. If the sexes were reversed, honestly, it would be quite refreshing to be honest. It' certainly worked with Senua's Sacrifice. I would love to have played Faye and actually experience what she was as a person. Hopefully that's done in the future.

Every argument you have made removes any context or information given to us by the game. You ignore every bit of information we learned about her and what influence she had over the story by just keep going back to the same thing: "But she died to motivate Kratos". It assumes that she died specifically do that and it also tries to stretch the definition of fridging in an attempt to make your argument stronger.

Her influence in the story is completely passive, which is what I take issue with. Being told these supposed amazing things about Faye and yet not being able to experience any of it because it was pretty much in service of Kratos bothered me.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Never thought about it and I think it's a bit of a stretch. Weren't Valkyries female in the Norse mythology? In the game they are corrupted, you fight them and it's a God of War game so what was there to expect? If Kratos didn't go ballistic on them, it'd be weirder.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
If you don't understand why in 2018 that having a dead female act as the primary motivation to a male protagonist is bothersome to some, then I don't know what to tell you. If the sexes were reversed, honestly, it would be quite refreshing to be honest. It' certainly worked with Senua's Sacrifice. I would love to have played Faye and actually experience what she was as a person. Hopefully that's done in the future

I find this train of thought rather bizarre to be honest. On one hand you are against said tropes and on the other you're advocating in favour if the roles were reversed.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm surprised people are finding the Valkyries contentious, I could kind of see the argument for Faye (less so for Freya) but I thought we wanted more female combatants in games?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I didnt think so, but also im not a woman so my opinion on wheather it does or doesn't is basically mute. If abby russell; the only lady on the bomb crew; feels the game was problematic and other women feel similalrly then im honestly inclined to believe them. I could have just missed the sub text because i wasnt paying close enough attention
I don't think being a man stops you from being able to talk on the issue. Same way a woman can talk about men. We are the same race after all.

I listed to that GOW chat and it was a shit show. One of them said he thought it was cool the way the stranger tells Kratos he knows who he is and that's as much they should have connected the old world to the new. But the stranger didn't know who Kratos was, he thought he was someone else. I facepalmed.

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel so disgusting on all these threads.

I am a female player. I hate those who is not a female but always try to "defend" or pretend to make the voice heard and saying it is for women or try to give some women's view.

STOP THAT!

We female players don't care how many female characters in the game or how many female enemies in the game. We love the game itself. But you, are you a female player? If no please SHUT UP!!!

Preach! Even thought I'm a man I gotta agree with you. Just nerds trying to prove themselves. Also, Freya is a great character, with her own motivations and arc that fits the themes of the game. Nothing about her is "problematic"

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preach! Even thought I'm a man I gotta agree with you. Just nerds trying to prove themselves. Also, Freya is a great character, with her own motivations and arc that fits the themes of the game. Nothing about her is "problematic"

Trying to prove themselves how? Being respectful and tactful instead of spamming the word "female" over and over again? That person is banned, I don't really have to wonder why...

I don't think being a man stops you from being able to talk on the issue. Same way a woman can talk about men. We are the same race after all.

I listed to that GOW chat and it was a shit show. One of them said he thought it was cool the way the stranger tells Kratos he knows who he is and that's as much they should have connected the old world to the new. But the stranger didn't know who Kratos was, he thought he was someone else. I facepalmed.

That person didn't beat the game and a lot of the context as to why the journey started is lost on them because of it.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
The issue with Faye is that I kind of agree if you were strip it down to the most basic level she is there to serve as motivation for Kratos and Atreus' journey but the reason for that is the story of God of War (2018) is a personal one inspired by Cory's relationship with his own son. There aren't many characters as it is and all of them are pretty much there to serve that central premise. In the cases of Brok, Sindri and Mimir they are literally there to serve Kratos and Atreus throughout the game. Sure, Faye didn't have to be dead but the death of a loved one (male or female) is also a common trope for bringing people together in fiction. For God of War it works especially well because Kratos has had to undergo off-screen transformation between the last game and this one. His relationship with Faye goes some way to explaining how he got to where he is at the beginning of the game.

You can argue Faye is an example of fridging but even then it doesn't seem to fit under it's original definition so it begins an argument of semantics where things usually get stripped of any context. I personally don't feel Faye as a character is cheap or lacking thought. I don't think she is only there for the benefit of Kratos (and Atreus) either. By the end of the game it's clear she had an impact on the story and world outside of the protagonist's motivations. Ultimately, it is a story about a man (Kratos) and as such most things are going to be in some way related to what he is doing and going through though. That's how stories work and it isn't going to change unless you have a female protagonist (which I would welcome in a game like this but we're on the 4th instalment of a 13 year old franchise so that's not really relevant to this discussion).

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I don't follow you. Using said trope on the opposite gendre doesn't undermine established Cliché, it creates new ones.

Tropes are motifs, things that are repeated. Having a female protagonist is just one way to subvert it but it doesn't have to be the only one. I was just giving an example.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people failed to understand the story in God of War. Like really spectacularly failed.

Faye's death did not motivate Kratos' and Atreus' journey. Her will did, a living action of stating "I want my ashes spread at the peak of the highest mountain in the Nine Realms". Had she not made that living request there would be no journey. We don't know how or why she died (or even if she is truly dead), only that in hindsight it seems like an intentional choice on her part. She planned and prepared for everything that was going to happen to her husband and son during their journey.

This is not fridging, not even close.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tropes are motifs, things that are repeated. Having a female protagonist is just one way to subvert it but it doesn't have to be the only one. I was just giving an example.
I'd argue that Faye looking like the classic example of fridging and then turning out to be the mastermind behind everything that happens in the game and Kratos actually doing her bidding (although inadvertedly) is a subversion of sorts in itself.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game where you kill basically everyone you encounter? Atreus' mother and Freya are two of the most important character's in the story. The Valkyries are the most powerful enemies in the entire game and they thank you because they were corrupted. Freya is extremely powerful and
was the previous queen of the Valkyries before marrying Odin
was shown as both compassionate as well as badass. I completely disagree with Abby on that point but it's totally fair for her and anyone else to feel that way.

Edit: Mimir was probably the most helpless character in the game, begging you to kill him or save him.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I'd argue that Faye looking like the classic example of fridging and then turning out to be the mastermind behind everything that happens in the game and Kratos actually doing her bidding (although inadvertedly) is a subversion of sorts in itself.

Hmm, I can see that. I just hope, in that case, we can actually understand her and experience her more as a character in future games.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people failed to understand the story in God of War. Like really spectacularly failed.

Faye's death did not motivate Kratos' and Atreus' journey. Her will did, a living action of stating "I want my ashes spread at the peak of the highest mountain in the Nine Realms". Had she not made that living request there would be no journey. We don't know how or why she died (or even if she is truly dead), only that in hindsight it seems like an intentional choice on her part. She planned and prepared for everything that was going to happen to her husband and son during their journey.

This is not fridging, not even close.
That's a fair point but her death and her will are directly related. If her will was the motivation then her death was still the trigger for it. To be honest, I don't really care whether people consider it fridging. If people didn't like the way Faye was handled that's fine but I don't believe it's any way problematic. She was far more than just "Kratos' dead wife" as a character despite never being seen.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I don't really buy into the arguments against the female characters that are in the game—I think they're all fine characters that serve the purpose they're meant to within the narrative framework that SSM set out to create. The same can be said of Atreus, Sindri, Brock, and every other character in the game—they serve a storytelling or worldbuilding purpose.

I think the stronger argument is that SSM should have perhaps included MORE female characters that serve a wider array of purposes for the story. That argument I can accept and hope for improvement for the next game.