• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
How does Etcetera feel about no context drive by posts?
Get out of your high horse and explain why it is not good because most people that dont find it a problem has already explained here why they dont think the treatment of women is a problem in the game and they all raised valid points in light of the game' story, characters and world.
I've argued my case multiple times here. I've at least tried to point out the arguments that completely miss the mark but they still seem to get parroted and bickered about endlessly.

The actual drive bys here are the usual "Only on Era there are weirdos that would care about this / find any fault in the representation".

Nov 18, 2018
Do you really cant understand the premise of a game having a dead person as a motivation?

At that point I would agree with you it is lazy and undermines women representation as a plot device.

But by the end of the game we see Faye had agency in everything it happened in the plot. She is the most important character in the game if you look at the grand scheme. AND, she is always described as one of the strongests people in Norse Islands.

Again, this is the first game. The narratige is clearly going towards something much bigger and Faye is an active part of it. We dont even know her real motivation to make Kratos go through all of this. Did she love him? Did she just want to avenge the Giants? Was she using Kratos all along? IMO, we are going to see her in one of the sequels.

About underrepresentation... do you realize there really isnt a huge story cast in the game, right? It is basically Kratos and Atreus (protagonists), Freya (most important support character), Baldur (the antagonist) and Mimir (side character). These are the important characters to the plot. They are also mostly based on Norse Mythos, which means Norse female characters have to appear in the game with a minimum of consistency and honesty to Norse mythos (specifically Odin family).
Yes, I understand the premise of having a dead person as a motivation. I'm saying that the dead person doesn't count as a character in the game when she died before the game started and we only ever see her as a bag of ash. I think what we heard of Faye's story was cool and if that was the game we were playing, it would have been awesome. But it was just an interesting plot twist at the end. We don't see Faye, we don't learn about her motivation through her, it's just lore that Kratos and Atreus discover at the end.

As for underrepresentation - I would also include Brok, Sindri, Magdi and Modi in the list of significant characters, but even if I'm going to be generous and use your list you're citing a 4:1 ratio of men to women. That's underrepresentation. The writers could have included more women if they wanted to, but they chose not to.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I dont agree. I dont think having dialogue written in honesty to the character's age equals bad writing.
It ignores the context of the rest of his character though. Yes, a kid who learns that would react like that. A kid who has been raised with both his parents warning him about how corrupt and evil Gods are though? At the very least it needed a bit more build up.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Giant bomb and this thread conversetion I think people who have problem with valkyries being killed and thankfuel is that valkyries being thankfull for being killed they do not have issue with what the motivation or explanation behind such acts but the fact that it is there that bothers them.
He doesn't kill the Valkyries. He frees them from their prisons. Their natural form is the spirit form.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was incoherent with the personality he showed up until that moment. He was a vibrant kid, but never showed to be petty or even fond of tantrum. Even though you can argue that too much power can eventually lead to that behavior, the transition happened too damn fast.

His sudden tonal shift was the culmination of his disease. Which also serves a big purpose for Kratos character development, as it allows him to see his anger from the past on his own son, which mirrors his whole problem with controlling rage.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I just assumed we would learn more about the mom in game 2.
Freya was cool....until she went batshit crazy
As far as Valkyries...I never met a good / kind one in fiction. They always try to kill me in games so yeah...slay them and take their essence/power part of them as a trophy like any other monster in a game.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Atreus is a kid. He just discovered he was a God. He reacts exacly like a kid in that situation would. I understand he was irritating but I found it a breath of fresh air how honest that whole edgy segment was.

About Freya, read Mifec last post.
I never understood why people didn't like this part , i thought it was hilarious seeing Atreus get all cocky and made perfect sense with what a small child would do if he found out he was a literal god.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Freia didn't even go crazy, Kratos killed her son who she would've died for
Kratos literally tells Atreus he would've done the same thing if necessary

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hey if you don't mind I want to ask what felt out of context and ham-fisted.

We have Freya who through political marriage ended up getting married to the biggest piece of shit in the realms. Ends up having a kid who she genuinely cares for and is the only worthwhile thing to come out of her time with the Aesir. At some point she finds out that he is destined to die and his death will herald Fimbulwinter. Obviously her love for her son is so great that she decides to make him immortal at the cost of his senses. He doesn't take it well as we see from the flashback in Helheim. Eventually she's stranded on Midgard and hasn't seen him for idk how long. So we obviously have a mother who will go to insane lengths to keep her son alive no matter the cost or damage to their relationship, she puts his life above it.

Then at the end of the game she finally gets to see him after a long time and it's clear he still resents her for what she did to him and wants to kill her. She doesn't beg him to kill her at any point btw, she keeps asking for forgiveness and for the chance to start over. Baldur is obviously too emotionally damaged to even think about it and the only thing he can think of is killing her as revenge for a "lifetime of misery".

So she puts his wishes and life above hers and being unable to fight back resigns herself to being killed by him.

This is not a random 180 on her personality nor does it take agency away from her. It's the exact same person who went as far as making him immortal and unfeeling now deciding that she puts his vengeance above her life, because she loves him that much.

It's perfectly in line with her prior actions.
Excellent recap. People can not like it all they want, but to say it was out of character or "didn't make sense" were clearly not understanding or paying attention to the lore and backstory.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I understand the premise of having a dead person as a motivation. I'm saying that the dead person doesn't count as a character in the game when she died before the game started and we only ever see her as a bag of ash. I think what we heard of Faye's story was cool and if that was the game we were playing, it would have been awesome. But it was just an interesting plot twist at the end. We don't see Faye, we don't learn about her motivation through her, it's just lore that Kratos and Atreus discover at the end.

As for underrepresentation - I would also include Brok, Sindri, Magdi and Modi in the list of significant characters, but even if I'm going to be generous and use your list you're citing a 4:1 ratio of men to women. That's underrepresentation. The writers could have included more women if they wanted to, but they chose not to.

Right. I think Faye and Freya is a big part of the plot to the point of them being at least 50% of the side characters plot so if you are going with quantity, yes, there is just Freya against a lot of male characters. But the role Freya and Faye has are much bigger than any other character except the protagonists. But okay your problem is about only having one woman in the cast. Then again the cast has to filter the mythos and be honest to the story.

It is actually the same problem with the quantity of bosses. People were bothered with how few bosses there were, but the game wad simply not designed the way God of War 3 was. The scale of the narrative cant accomodate 10+ big bosses. The same way it cant accomodate multiple important side characters. As the story goes on and the sequels start coming out, we are definitely going to see the stakes getting bigger, and so does the scale, which means more characters and more bosses. For me, it is clear this was a very personal story about the main duo and they didnt want to escape that so much with othet subplots. The whole one shot camers seems to me like it was build around to intensify that actually.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissive drive-by post; history of antagonistic and dismissive behavior
Era is really monothematic.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like she's going to "get over it" tbh. Seems more like a super villain origin story. A justification for a sequel where Kratos kills her off in some appropriately gruesome way.
And if that happens, we can discuss it then. But for now, you are calling a woman a "psychotic villain" and a "deranged harpy" for emotionally lashing out against somebody who just killed her son in front of her. She doesn't even touch him!

It was really badly written, probably the worst part of the game so I see why people complain.
If I'm not mistaken, Atreus's turns (both ways) were supposed to be more gradual. For some reason or another, however, the developer was forced to shorten the game; his part got cut and it shows.

It's very much implied through the game's narratve, though...

Either you didn't pay attention or, considering your post history about the game, you are trying really hard to undermine the game for whatever reasons.
Everything we knows about Faye is secondhand information, either from acquaintances who only saw her once in a while or family members who she deceived all these time. Was she a manipulative trickster who coldly deceive those around her to get revenge against the gods? Was she a conflicted hero who is forced to fulfill a prophecy while still wanting the best for her family? Both? Neither? I don't know, because we never actually get to know her as a character; just a perhaps well-executed plot device.

As it stands, Kratos is dancing strictly to her tune, voluntarily or not. Whether this is ultimately a bad thing or a good thing still remains to be seen.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent recap. People can not like it all they want, but to say it was out of character or "didn't make sense" were clearly not understanding or paying attention to the lore and backstory.
Just to be clear I didn't make that post to have any GOTCHA! moments or anything. I recapped it because I want to have people who think she acted out of character or where she did a 180 because I myself can't see it and if there is a point I want it explained to me.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive Drive-by
What a reach... Everyone is fucked up in this series.

You guys really need to stop it with this.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Never did the Valkyrie missions so I don't know about them, but yeah Freya's ending was terrible. And to have Kratos save her there was just like ugh. I could almost imagine Kratos walking away after that scene saying "pfffft, women" to his son. I'm sure that wasn't the intention, but it was just weird.
And again, what was Kratos supposed to do? Let Baldur kill her and then let him get away scot free?

I can see the thread titles already "In the latest God of War Kratos lets a woman be killed and doesn't intervene. Are women's lives worth less?"

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
They're not women, they're gods with a female form. The whole series is awful to everyone and all gods, that's literally the point.

However, I think Abby's overall point of "It would be nice if all the female characters didn't die/get generally crapped on" is a fair one. There's not much else to be said, it's a perfectly reasonable opinion even if I don't necessarily see it as an issue.

Last edited:

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
They're not women, they're gods with a female form. The whole series is awful to everyone and all gods, that's literally the point.

However, I think Abby's overall point of "It would be nice if all the female characters didn't die" is a fair one. There's not much else to be said, it's a perfectly reasonable opinion even if I don't necessarily see it as an issue.
Freya doesn't die. And see, that supports my point that the controversy if Kratos had let her be killed would be even bigger.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like controversy just for the sake of controversy.
Seriously, people, it's not a controversy just because somebody dislike some parts of a game you like and voice that out.

You know what makes it into a controversy? When people who disagree with the criticism frame it as something manufactured (or even sillier, politicizing games, whatever that means) which naturally ticked people off, and thus we get a long thread full of noise.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Freya doesn't die. And see, that supports my point that the controversy if Kratos had let her be killed would be even bigger.

Edited for clarity. I don't agree with Abby's stance as I think the whole game is full of mistreatment and generally shitty scenarios (as is the point), but I wholeheartedly agree with Jeff Gerstmann's "That's fair" assessment of her opinion. It's perfectly fine for Abby to want more/better/not dead female characters.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people didn't like this part , i thought it was hilarious seeing Atreus get all cocky and made perfect sense with what a small child would do if he found out he was a literal god.
I think the issue most people have with that part isn't that Atreus' attitude change happened at all but rather how fast it happened. I know he's a kid but it still felt like his cocky attitude took over way too fast. It doesn't help that the writing in this section of the game is somewhat poor, especially in comparison to the rest of the game. Atreus' transition back to being a normal kid is just as a abrupt and feels off too. Yes he's a kid, but kids don't just go from being really nice to literally the biggest shit back to being nice in the span of a single day. Maybe we will learn more about Atreus in future games which will make these moments feel more plausible, but as for right now it felt too fast and sudden in my opinion (and apparently the opinion of many others as well).

I do like how Atreus becomes cocky though. I just wish the game made that attitude shift a little more organic and believable. One moment I ABSOLUTELY LOVE from this part is that one fight you get into where Atreus won't listen to any of your commands. Because Atreus is a cocky little shit he thinks he doesn't need to listen to Kratos anymore. On top of that it's a pretty tough fight from what I remember so you as the player get really annoyed with Atreus for not listening. This is one of the best moments in the game. It's a great example of telling story though the controller. I wish this arc of the story was handled more like that fight and less like Atreus' borderline instantaneous heel turn boat conversations.

Oct 25, 2017
I always like Freya as a character, no matter how her character changed: she is strong, complex, and has a voice that is distinctly her own -- even if the player, and perhaps especially if the player, disagrees with that voice. That is what being a character is: regardless of your personal feelings, they have their own volition in the story arc, and they can do as they please so long as there's a reasonable, logical path the viewer can follow to see how they came to those decisions (and hell, maybe in some cases even when the player *can't* see those things).

At the end of the game, I strongly fucking disagreed with Freya's decision-making, I didn't think she should be cold to Kratos for wanting to stop an endless cycle of bloodshed (that he himself had contributed to), and lets face it: Baldr is a bad dude and we like it when bad dudes get what is coming to them. Her interaction with him, though, was an honest if heart-wrenching contribution to what Freya's character is; I don't like it or agree with it, but I understand it, and that's what made her a complex entity in my estimation.

People are free to disagree I suppose, and the conversation actually HAS been alive since long before Abby brought it up on the Giantbomb podcast (articles were written about it), but I think that God of War is a victim of circumstance and proximity in this regard: it has been so fruitlessly mean to its female characters in the past that when it actually treats them with respect and gives them complex characters art, we can barely tell the difference. But there is one.

Oh yeah, and as for the mother: God of War 2018 is partially a game about being a single father. You can hate that it is that, or think that such a thing shouldn't exist in an industry that doesn't make many games about being a single mother, but that's going to mean that the SO is out of the picture. As many have stated, though, she is still very much a character, and very alive in the storytelling -- especially at the end, the great payoff of the story arc. It may suck that you haven't really seen her, but you can't say that by the end of the game you don't know her. And that's the difference between fridging and good storytelling, imo.

In short, no, I don't think God of War (2018) has problematic treatment of women. I think every OTHER God of War game, though, does, and it's that history and expectation that God of War will do something shitty to its women characters that I think bears conversations such as these. I don't think the conversations are bad, and we're having them, but I do think that an inordinate amount of time has been spent beating on the reformed *because* as an industry and as a community we never faced up to just how bad the GoW series really was in the past. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megatron

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
What is wrong with people??? Seriously.

Story telling is an art form, and the moment you compromise your creativity because you want to please society, then your product will have no soul.

People are complaining about the representation of women in God of War, yet nobody in that game is represented in a good way, further more there isn't that many characters in the game period. Stop dictating how people should create art, if the story or product is not for you, don't bitch just don't play it.

Maybe try Horizon or Tomb Raider that have strong female leads, and if your unhappy about that, go play Tetris, can't believe this is even a topic.

I'm tired of seeing this 'nobody is represented in a good way' stuff. Kratos. atreus and the dwarves are all represented well. They all happen to be male. Kratos and Atreus have hardships that they struggle through but they over come them and grow. That doesn't happen to any of the women in the game. Hell, even the dwarves have a story arc where they see growth by the end of the game. Faye is dead the whole game, the Valkyrie are one note characters who only exist for you to fight/kill/brutalize. Freya is reduced from a complex interesting character to a vengeful villain stereotype swearing revenge on the hero because the most important man in her life was killed, unable to see her son for what he is.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have much else to comment on the OP but the idea that no one is talking about God of War and its treatment of women is completely false. I don't listen to a ton of gaming podcasts and it's been brought up on many of them.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
The next woman is Freya, who starts out as a very cool character, until we find out that she's the mother of the main villain of the game, Balder, who's furious at her for making him immortal. In the game's final confrontation, Freya gives Balder permission to kill her. Balder strangles his mother, intent on murdering her while she says 'I love you' to him over and over. Freya doesn't fight back and Kratos grabs Balder and kills him. Freya cradles Balder's corpse and calls him 'my dear sweet boy' and then tells Kratos 'I will rain down every violation imaginable upon you.' When Atreus points out that Kratos saved her life, she answers 'He robbed me of everything!'
Someone educate me why this is bad. It just seems like an interesting narrative to me.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Is the return of Mary Poppins in Mary Poppins Returns being motivated by a dead mother who is never shown on screen problematic?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
He doesn't kill the Valkyries. He frees them from their prisons. Their natural form is the spirit form.

Many misses that the reason why there's so many undead roming around in the game is because the valkiries are imprisoned, otherwise there wouldn't and Kratos would be just strolling his way to the top of the mountain. What happened to the valkiries was a necessity to the story, the reason you fight them is pretty well thought.
We might argue that they could have come up with another situation to let valkiries not do their job and undead roaming around but the path they chose makes the most sense.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
This is really a reach to be honest.
I seriously doubt they had any of this in mind with any God of War game when they were writing the story.
It's based on mythology a lot of the time. The hint is the fact that the characters are mostly not human.

Not every game needs strong female representation just like not every game needs to have strong male repesentation.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Seriously, people, it's not a controversy just because somebody dislike some parts of a game you like and voice that out.

You know what makes it into a controversy? When people who disagree with the criticism frame it as something manufactured (or even sillier, politicizing games, whatever that means) which naturally ticked people off, and thus we get a long thread full of noise.
Best post.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone educate me why this is bad. It just seems like an interesting narrative to me.

I think OP is suggesting that Freya being okay with her son trying to kill her sends a bad message or is problematic at the very least because of real world violence against women that shouldn't be tolerated.

Of course within the narrative of the game it makes sense because it's about parents willing to do anything to keep their children safe, even Kratos says he'd die for Atreus.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
That's a reach if I've ever seen one.

The mother is the driving force for the story, and the ongoing revelations throughout the game further emphasize her impact. The Valkyries are presented as honorable warriors, and Freya is a tragic figure paying the price for her past deeds, just as Kratos has, and continues to do so.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I thought Freya was such a cool character, the Valkyries commanded more respect then why other enemy in the game and Kratos wife is like the real hero of the game. Then you have those witch enemies who were tough as fuck and there's one final female character I can think of but won't say for spoilers. You meet her on the boat returning back to your house.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The mother is the driving force for the story, and the ongoing revelations throughout the game further emphasize her impact.
She's the driving force because she's dead which is a very well worn trope called "fridging." It's not inherently bad but that it's used at all is why it's worth discussing.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I think the issue most people have with that part isn't that Atreus' attitude change happened at all but rather how fast it happened. I know he's a kid but it still felt like his cocky attitude took over way too fast. It doesn't help that the writing in this section of the game is somewhat poor, especially in comparison to the rest of the game. Atreus' transition back to being a normal kid is just as a abrupt and feels off too. Yes he's a kid, but kids don't just go from being really nice to literally the biggest shit back to being nice in the span of a single day. Maybe we will learn more about Atreus in future games which will make these moments feel more plausible, but as for right now it felt too fast and sudden in my opinion (and apparently the opinion of many others as well).

I do like how Atreus becomes cocky though. I just wish the game made that attitude shift a little more organic and believable. One moment I ABSOLUTELY LOVE from this part is that one fight you get into where Atreus won't listen to any of your commands. Because Atreus is a cocky little shit he thinks he doesn't need to listen to Kratos anymore. On top of that it's a pretty tough fight from what I remember so you as the player get really annoyed with Atreus for not listening. This is one of the best moments in the game. It's a great example of telling story though the controller. I wish this arc of the story was handled more like that fight and less like Atreus' borderline instantaneous heel turn boat conversations.
Gotcha that makes more sense. I did a shit ton of lake exploration immediately after that revelation happened so I didn't really have that sudden jump and I believe Atreus even has some different dialogue at that point in the game during exploration.

I agree with you on everything else though I think there's definitely something else going on with him because he doesn't remember a lot of his really bad actions. And that use of taking away control was absolutely fantastic.

Sorry for the off topic

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Just to be clear I didn't make that post to have any GOTCHA! moments or anything. I recapped it because I want to have people who think she acted out of character or where she did a 180 because I myself can't see it and if there is a point I want it explained to me.
No I didn't think it was a "gotcha" just that I think people are misunderstanding her character when they make the claim that "her actions didn't make sense."

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
YeahEveryone is treated horrible in this brutal world. To single out women is a huge stretch IMO. Just because something is cliche doesn't mean it is sexist or discriminatory. Perhaps the mom will play a bigger role in the sequel.

Either way, I never had any of these thoughts playing the game neither did my wife who really enjoyed it and all my replays. I would have liked more of Atreus mom truth be told. Story wise that makes sense though and is a real opportunity to display a strong female lead.

Freya feeling the way she does is realistic. It's like we want games to be different because the world should be different. But then things would be shoehorned and not believable. I look forward to seeing how they develope the mom, but the Freya and the Valkyrie were awesome IMO. I mean I can even see the motherly bond connection in my real life family circle. My mom would donanything for my brother and let's just say he's a a basket case lol. But it never fails she's always there. That's a real relatable believable character trait and it's accompanied by good writing. Dunno, I just never thought of some of these arguments and the only one semi relatable was seeing the mom. Again, it's not a knock, it's just something I would love to see.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Faye wasn't fridged. She wasn't killed. Her death isn't Kratos' motivation.
Fridging doesn't require the woman to be killed, only that her death is the motivation. Scattering her ashes is literally the entire driving force behind Kratos' actions for most of the game, how is her death not his motivation?

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
And if that happens, we can discuss it then. But for now, you are calling a woman a "psychotic villain" and a "deranged harpy" for emotionally lashing out against somebody who just killed her son in front of her. She doesn't even touch him!

If I'm not mistaken, Atreus's turns (both ways) were supposed to be more gradual. For some reason or another, however, the developer was forced to shorten the game; his part got cut and it shows.

Everything we knows about Faye is secondhand information, either from acquaintances who only saw her once in a while or family members who she deceived all these time. Was she a manipulative trickster who coldly deceive those around her to get revenge against the gods? Was she a conflicted hero who is forced to fulfill a prophecy while still wanting the best for her family? Both? Neither? I don't know, because we never actually get to know her as a character; just a perhaps well-executed plot device.

As it stands, Kratos is dancing strictly to her tune, voluntarily or not. Whether this is ultimately a bad thing or a good thing still remains to be seen.
The call out was about the relationship between Kratos and Faye being compared to the one he had with Athena, not about her actual character.

Though, that revelation about her doesn't counter all the fond recollections of her (or the Giants as whole). The giants' last message is also one of hope, rather than spiteful vengeance ("waiting for a world where the gods grow good"), which kind of supports the narrative about her not being a malicious character.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
She's the driving force because she's dead which is a very well worn trope called "fridging." It's not inherently bad but that it's used at all is why it's worth discussing.

I'm aware it's a trope, but I found its execution to be very well handled, particularly as a narrative vehicle to provide a sense of - or hope for - redemption for Kratos and his problematic past.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fridging doesn't require the woman to be killed, only that her death is the motivation. Scattering her ashes is literally the entire driving force behind Kratos' actions for most of the game, how is her death not his motivation?

I feel her wish was the motivation, not her actual death. Still, I have no issues with how women were treated in GOW, but I do think they'll be better off with more proper representation later on.

Also, isn't fridging based on vengeance? Anyway, GOW is a major improvement compared to how they treated women before, and I feel Cory is aware of this and will try to keep improving. Guess we'll see later on.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Because it's not her dying that acts like the main factor for the trip, it's following her last wish she let them know before dying.

EDIT: What Ricky_R said above.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fridging is about female characters being brutalised for the sole purpose to give the main character motivation. You don't have this here at all. For all we know she died of natural causes, Kratos isn't out for revenge, he's just dealing with grief. If that's fridging the term becomes meaningless as it would mean that any supporting character that dies is being fridged

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The scattering is the destination, the journey and bonding with his son is the motivation and the driving force behind his actions.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
By the end we learn Faye is arguably the most powerful and certainly most enigmatic character in the setting. Cory has said as much in interviews. I think her impact will only be greater as the story continues. Just because she is dead doesn't lessen her importance to the story.

Freya is the classic devouring mother archetype. It's a trope that isn't terribly common nowadays, but is quite old in story's. Complain if you like, but it's not like Father's are portrayed as virtuous figures hero's either. Just look at Thor and Odin. They are total assholes.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of seeing this 'nobody is represented in a good way' stuff. Kratos. atreus and the dwarves are all represented well. They all happen to be male. Kratos and Atreus have hardships that they struggle through but they over come them and grow. That doesn't happen to any of the women in the game. Hell, even the dwarves have a story arc where they see growth by the end of the game. Faye is dead the whole game, the Valkyrie are one note characters who only exist for you to fight/kill/brutalize. Freya is reduced from a complex interesting character to a vengeful villain stereotype swearing revenge on the hero because the most important man in her life was killed, unable to see her son for what he is.
Well guess what, some women break down because the man of their lives is gone! That's real life. Just like some men break down when their woman is gone.

Not for one moment during my entire (and very long) play-through did I think Freya was a weak character because of her womanly weaknesses. In my eyes she went from an ally to a villain because her love for her son blinded her! Because she felt guilty for what she had done to him out of love. But here you are, trying to minimize her ACTUAL role in the story for the sake of "misogyny." And so what if Faye was dead before the game even started? This game was about the father-son relationship, which was based on Cory's own relationship with his son. It's her death that brings them closer and finding each other on a journey together. She's constantly mentioned during the game, her virtues exalted at every step. If that's fridging, it's good quality fridging. Must be a Bosch fridge!

Honestly, with so many games with actual representation issues to choose from, this is a poor pick. And also, remove conflict from a story, and stories end. Not all women are strong, not all men are strong. Some of the former and some of the latter will be represented as weak and vulnerable and as victims, because that's what they are. Welcome to life.