• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GOAT Rhythm Game?

• Yes

Votes: 45 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 54.9%
  • Not quite, but it's really damn close...

Votes: 33 19.1%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Although, many people seems to complain about the difficulty ruining the experience, outside of that complaint, I can't really think of another common one that people have for this game.

The overall combination of the aesthetics, the plot, and the gameplay were just very unique, and all flowed perfectly together.

What is your opinion on Gitaroo Man? Is it the best rhythm game ever? For me, it's probably still Ouendan, but Gitaroo Man is certainly up there. How about you?

759366-932473_20061017_001.jpg

stage7.jpg

gitarooman-17.jpg

inis.0.jpg

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Thumper is the superior rhythm game as an experience while Rock Band is the best pure rhythm game.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not even remotely close, no. Nothing console exclusive is the best rhythm game ever.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, maybe not, but Born to be Bone is definitely the best song in a rhythm game ever.

Followed closely by Flyin' to Your Heart.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
DJ Max Technika Tune on the Vita is my favorite. It has enhanced Ouendan-style gameplay but with a much bigger tracklist than an Ouendan game. Doesn't have a crazy overarching plot, but some of the individual track videos are fun.

For whatever reason, Gitaroo Man didn't click with me, even though I normally like crazy-over-the-top music games like Um Jammer Lammy & the Ouendan/EBA games.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
It's got a lot of heart, and the soundtrack is incredible. I think Ouendan beats it in mechanics, but this goes down as one of the most memorable rhythm games I've ever played.

I remember finishing it on Master mode too, it meant that much to me. Bee Jam Blues, what a nightmare!

Last edited:

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
I don´t have the experience in the genre to say, but it was an insanely cute and charming one-time playthrough. Only fond thoughts from me.

Jun 23, 2019
In a genre with legends such as Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania IIDX, Samba de Amigo, DJ Max, Project Diva, Parappa the Rapper, Bust a Groove, Cytus, etc. no, Gitaroo Man is not the best rhythm game ever. Fun, but nowhere near the best.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I've got much love for Gitaroo Man but does anyone here play Voez? I play it on the train every day.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
I love this damn game. Hell, the "GK" in my name stands for "Gitaroo Knight".

I wouldn't call it the best rhythm game ever. I personally like Superbeat Xonic and the DJMAX series more. It's definitely up there, though.

Apr 19, 2018
Getting my first "S" rank on Master's Play Born to Be Bone made me feel like I was on top of the world.

Loved the game just as much as the Ouendan/EBA series. I'm still hoping they'll port it over to more than the decidedly inferior PSP version; I would kill for a HD remaster on current consoles.

It's also a shame Keiichi Yano was unable to follow through with what would been his next rhythm game title 'Project Rap Rabbit.'

Last edited:

Amnesiac

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I love Gitaroo Man so much and still have my copy, but the NA PS2 release multiplayer gltich that left that entire mode almost unplayable was horrible.

Oct 25, 2017
I am interested in picking it up and playing this, do you need a special
peripheral to play it with or a PS2 Dualshock 2 will do? Also would I enjoy at least the first bits of the game or it's frustratingly hard from the get go? I am not really up for a difficult game when it comes to rhythm games. I want to save my patience for retrying things over and over for a Souls type game.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The genre has evolved too much since then to really expect it to stand the test of time.

With that said, the fact that the songs are original AND have all extra parts and branching paths that make any playthrough of a song unpredictable and exciting, is still top of its class.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It's not the best rhythm game ever, but it is a fantastic one and an absolute treasure of a game by any objective measure.

"It doesn't take much to turn 'impossible' into 'I'm possible.'"

Fucking brilliant game.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Without question. I'm still beyond pissed that the only "follow-up" we got was the shitty PSP port.

Ouendan, made by the same team, is the only thing that even comes close. These games are more than just rhythm games, they lift your spirit up. Truly wonderful works.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Ouendan gave us the most emotional and amazing song with Over the distance.

Gitaroo man the same with Legendary Theme.

Those and Rez are some of the greatest experiences of my gaming life.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
This game looks awesome, reminds me of that onion karate master rhythm game. Is there anyway to play Gitaroo man today if you don't have a PS2?

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't put games like DJMax, DDR, and Guitar Hero in the same category as Gitaroo Man. If you're explicitly talking about Rhythm Adventure games like Parappa the Rapper, Space Channel 5, and Harmoknight, then yeah I can see why Guitaroo Man is your favorite. Honestly though, all of those games are great.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a damn good game and it's wild how forgotten it is. I'm surprised we even got Lives on the PSP.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I love Gitaroo Man, but it doesn't make the cut for me in my GOAT list. I personally find that it can get a little too annoying working the analog stick with the vibratos and stuff. I also wasn't into the music very much (though it does have its great moments).

My GOAT rhythm games (I can't decide on which is best):
- Um Jammer Lammy
- Space Channel 5 Part 2
- Rhythm Tengoku GBA, Wii, or 3DS

This game looks awesome, reminds me of that onion karate master rhythm game. Is there anyway to play Gitaroo man today if you don't have a PS2?

It's on the PSP. There are some pros and cons to the port, e.g. It's easier (they made the analog stick more forgiving due to the smaller nub) and there are some frame rate dips.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gitaroo Man is my favorite game of all time and one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, and it's the only reason I still have my Vita (via JP account), but yeah I'm not going to blame other people if they put other stuff ahead of it.

As far as pure gameplay experience goes, arcade stuff blows anything away on a console.