• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I think the Bombcast has suffered from going live and videoed. Good editing can do a lot to improve the flow of a recording and that's out of the window. I can't imagine a bunch of dudes sitting around a desk makes a feast for the eyes, except for the rare occasion where someone gestures something and the pace grinds to a halt so they explain for audio-only people.

I get that they wanted to change it up but I don't think it really works.

Way back in what people call the "Golden Age" of GB, Ryan always edited down the Bombcast. I remember once everyone lost their shit because he cut out a huge section where Vinny was talking about Resident Evil because he didn't think it was interesting enough. Someone noticed the cuts and brought it up. Ryan was an expert at shutting shit down if it wasn't entertaining.

Everyone wanted everything to be completely un-cut and that is pretty much what we get now. I honestly would love to see more edited content, because the production talent is pretty much the best it has ever been. GB Crime Crew is the best feature to come out of the site in a long time and a lot of the comic punch came from smart editing.

Also, all of you dudes making mean personal attacks against the real life people who work at GB really suck.

Jul 10, 2018
We share different definitions of "fun" as making fun of a dude for a medical condition doesn't quite fit mine. You seem to pride in it, though.

I do? I mentioned it once, in a sarcastic reply. You keep bringing it up. I'm aware it's a condition, but I also don't care much about it, or id have lobbied a proper complaint about it in this space.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Perhaps what so much of this comes down to, as it always does, is us bringing our own personal hangups into the conversation and holding them against GB because we also kind of resent what we are, too. In reading this thread, so much of it is "I'm [in my thirties now] and have been watching them since the beginning, and..." and ultimately, yeah, Giant Bomb is getting older. The first wave of the staff are hovering around 40 now and this bums me out in a weird way not just because it affects the type of entertainment they're interested in making, but also because, I remember Brad on the podcast talking about how he was turning 30 when that happened ten years ago, and Ryan playfully mocking him for it. I remember that ten years, and it doesn't feel like ten years should feel.

The recent Brad newsletter is a good one because he talks about how the community around Quake and Doom changed his life in a way. Instead of over-analyzing the staff, perhaps we should stop trying to follow something from the outside, and find that community for ourselves. Many of us could be happier. It can feel deeply isolating online these days.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off about a year or so after GB East was formed, but I gravitated towards the East Coast content towards the end. Now I just check out the podcasts when certain games release, watch the late night E3 shows, and GOTY.

I really do feel like the rise of Twitch killed some of my interest in GB. I loved the personality first approach that GB pioneered, but over the years I was simply able to find streamers who scratched that itch better.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I do? I mentioned it once, in a sarcastic reply. You keep bringing it up. I'm aware it's a condition, but I also don't care much about it, or id have lobbied a proper complaint about it in this space.
It's not something to say ever. Even in a sarcastic reply.

"It's just a joke bro" isnt an excuse for being a dick. You were being a dick, and you got called out. Apologize and get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.