• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If I recall correctly, I feel like you personally might have something to say about the way moderators were treating users during that time. :P I'm still on friendly terms with some of the more chill current and former Giant Bomb mods, but there are definitely some of them who were always kind of assholes. IIRC, Rorie wasn't hired to manage the community/support side until after a lot of this started happening, and by that point most of the damage had already been done.

It's been nice seeing you and a couple of other old forum mainstays around these parts. I never did talk to you about my deep, involved thoughts on Lightning Returns and how much of a bizarre trip that game is.
Oh, no doubt. :P I try to keep my personal beefs as separate as I can because frankly it's ancient history and not worth bringing up at this point. I do wish that Rorie or someone else had stepped in as a community manager at an earlier stage, but what can you do?

But also, Lightning Returns is the best kind of bizarre trip and I still love it!

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
The chemistry of Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, and Brad was amazing. They could make anything fun to watch and I would watch everything they put out. When Ryan passed and Vinny moved to New York, I slowly lost interest and now only look at the site during E3 week.

Imo, they had a perfect storm of personalities but no storm can last forever.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Giant Bomb is fine. The comments from users, however... Barf.

(Edit: Comments on their content, not here lol. Y'all cool. Mostly. :P )

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I went from raging super hard at the 8.8 Zelda score to really liking Jeff and really hope he's back as soon as he finds it ok for him and his family.

I generally like everybody at both east and west but without Jeff I am not sure I'd continue watching... I'd have to see.

I can see how their style and humour might not be appreciated by much younger kids though. Who the hell knows what they like!

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following them for a long time, and still really enjoy the content they put out. It's always been hit or miss, but I usually watch everything.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
With streaming being popular, the market has changed. The biggest issue is GB West; They just dont care anymore. Worst offender is Brad. Brad is rarely well informed and as a podcast host he comes across as bored. He needs a kick in the butt, he's just going through the motions.
Been this way for years. Brad only ever sounds like the Brad of old during GOTY pods where he's trying to get his games to the top. Otherwise he's just kind of ... there.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'm 39, and I was a big GB fan at the beginning (~2009) but it's tapered off to the point where I've recently stopped listening to their podcasts and watching their videos. It's just not the same any more. Ryan's gone and all the new people are just not that interesting or funny (except for Dan Rykert).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
With streaming being popular, the market has changed. The biggest issue is GB West; They just dont care anymore. Worst offender is Brad. Brad is rarely well informed and as a podcast host he comes across as bored. He needs a kick in the butt, he's just going through the motions.
Yeah, I agree. So much has changed over the past ten years, and GBEast has done a good job of keeping up with the overall tone expectations of online content in 2019, while not going full-on obnoxious Youtuber/Twitch personality. It's an admittedly tough balance to strike, but West seems so allergic to showing genuine enthusiasm or emotion on stream that it can look downright outdated. It's videogames people, you're allowed to treat them like the silly toys they are.

eznark

Oct 25, 2017
Fell off hard this year after being a subscriber since inception. I still listen to the beastcast now and then but that's it. that's fine, it's not for me anymore.

Jswanko

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's definitely different, and imo not as fun, but I still enjoy it enough.

I think it just comes down to two things really. First, Ryan was uniquely hilarious and warm in a way that can't be replicated. And second, the original core were all friends coming in so they had a natural rapport and chemistry that was fun and entertaining.

Where the recent stuff suffers most is that a lot of the chemistry and humor just seems way more forced now.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Yeah, I agree. So much has changed over the past ten years, and GBEast has done a good job of keeping up with the overall tone expectations of online content in 2019, while not going full-on obnoxious Youtuber/Twitch personality. It's an admittedly tough balance to strike, but West seems so allergic to showing genuine enthusiasm or emotion on stream that it can look downright outdated. It's videogames people, you're allowed to treat them like the silly toys they are.
I don't know, to me it's kind of the opposite. Giant bomb west to me feels like adults who like videogames, are knowledgeable but not to the extent of knowing every single fact or news detail because they probably have other important worries. And that's fine, what I care about more is their commentary based on their experience and their personality.

I also like how their sense of humour and jokes don't devolve into artificial super loud and exaggerated laughing. They make their joke and they move on to the next topic even if it was a hilarious one like it was nothing. I like that.

Maybe cause I'm already 39 and started a family recently but it's just more what I look for in a podcast. I

As an example, EZA, which I used to watch a lot, I can barely stand now. With the exception of some good takes here and there, and while Hubert is hilarious sometimes, to me it feels very infantile and a bit forced. Too many silly games and bets that don't lead to meaningful discussion.

Oct 27, 2017
GB is doing fine. It was a in a rough place after Ryan died but Dan brought some much needed stupid energy back to the place.

My only issue is mostly with GB West- the roster there is a little thin and its lacking in diversity. Not racial or gender diversity even but in terms of games. The thing I like about GB for better or worse is that they only really focus on or cover games that they're really interested in, which is fine. Problem is that it seems like so much of GB West content or Bombcasts devolve into so much talk about fighting games or loot shooters or DOTA, which to me are more powerful sleep aids than Ambien. Jason, Jeff and Ben all are way into fighting games so inevitably discussion goes to that , which is fine but if you don't care for fighting games, can make for some boring podcasts, especially when they get really into the weeds.

When Vinny, Ryan, Dan and even Patrick or Drew were on the West Coast podcasts, you had a much broader discussion of a variety of way different games people were playing- Vinny seems like the only RPG player outside of Rorie; Ryan had a pretty eclectic taste in games, as does Dan; and Drew would bring up flight sims and weird smaller games. GB East kind of has that game diversity going, which is why I kind of like the Beastcast a bit more nowadays- Abby plays the Sims, which nobody else on staff does, plus Alex playing Madden and music games.

Oct 25, 2017
The next part of a successful midlife crisis is getting the man himself, Jeff "Black Dragon" Green on at GB. West, preferably.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neglect really is the biggest factor. At the start, GB's one community rule was don't be a dick, but the staff were basically hands off and left enforcement to the moderators, who were for the most part community members that were handpicked at the forum's inception and, as far as I'm aware, whose performance the staff never really oversaw. Factor in a changing online political climate, GamerGate and the staff's piddly response followed by what could charitably be called a gross overcorrection by old guard moderators with too much authority and next to no oversight, and it's just evident that the forums were mismanaged from day one.
Yeah they were grossly unprepared to deal with the blowback caused by gamergate. It says something though when like all of your top Wiki editors vanish from the community. I tended to really enjoy the smaller nature of the GB forums back in the day. I felt like people's individual personalities were able to shine through more.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. Ben, especially combined with Abby, can be rough as its simply forcing absurd jokes non stop but Ben has done an outstanding job lately on the podcast and is very knowledge on a lot of subjects/genres. Jan's been rocking too as he gets more involved with the podcast.

The thing I noticed yesterday as I was browsing around YouTube is there's a ton of YouTuber operations like Linus or that Unboxing Therapy dude etc that do a similar kind of personality run show (albeit on tech rather than games) but the content looks so much better than GB stuff does. I get they're stuck with the small spaces that CBSi provides them but man, their sets and presentation look so low-rent.

I guess that and I don't wanna watch 2+ hour long Burgle my Bananas and stuff. I'd rather have a greater variety of somewhat-shorter videos (like When Brad did those switch mods).

Yeah. Come to think of it, Linus is doing now what Giantbomb used to do in their early days.

A show like that but for video games would be fun to watch.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, to me it's kind of the opposite. Giant bomb west to me feels like adults who like videogames, are knowledgeable but not to the extent of knowing every single fact or news detail because they probably have other important worries. And that's fine, what I care about more is their commentary based on their experience and their personality.

I also like how their sense of humour and jokes don't devolve into artificial super loud and exaggerated laughing. They make their joke and they move on to the next topic even if it was a hilarious one like it was nothing. I like that.

Maybe cause I'm already 39 and started a family recently but it's just more what I look for in a podcast. I

As an example, EZA, which I used to watch a lot, I can barely stand now. With the exception of some good takes here and there, and while Hubert is hilarious sometimes, to me it feels very infantile and a bit forced. Too many silly games and bets that don't lead to meaningful discussion.
Yeah I guess at the end of the day it's a preference thing, cuz I'm the opposite of literally everything you said haha. But that's alright, at least there's suitable content for all tastes out there.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch a ton of West stuff right now but I'm liking Jason/Ben playing Asura's Wrath just fine. God Hand was good background noise. But yeah I've been skipping UPF, I'm glad I got my Jeff fix on his stream last week at least.

East has been killing it pretty much nonstop though, Dan is a glorious monster who will not stop until the world is Mario Party. Liked Abby RE4 a lot recently, funny watching her wreck the entire game with the TMP when back in the day everyone used to say it was bad and to just use the Red9.

Also, a few years ago I wasn't terribly compelled to watch anything with Alex in it but it's the complete opposite now. Alex content is second only to Jeff home streams for me.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say I haven't watched their stuff in quite a while now and it's probably because it all got a bit formulatic and boring to me.

The podcast used to feel like they just switched on the mics and talked about stuff they liked for 3 hours but now it feels like they're going through the motions. It never feels spontaneous or interesting to listen to.

The video content too just feels flat. Like "here's a game we just installed and we're never going to talk about again". Just boring honestly.

edit: I should say that I do think some of this out of their control and gaming in general is so much more scattered than it used to be. I understand it's probably hard covering games that have dedicated audiences instead of everyone being focused on big event games like they used to.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped subbing maybe a year or two back, but haven't watched a single video in a few years at least.

The content being produced just didn't appeal to my tastes anymore.

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
West desperately need someone new, energetic and upbeat who's not playing only fighting games and shooters.

Also pleasantly surprised by Business Dave, the dude is very funny and charming. More B.Dave, way less Jason pls.
Brad and Jason just suck the soul out of the room, they give off this "chore' vibe that kills the mood.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Giant Bomb was great, is great, and I pretty much blindly trust them to staff the offices as they see fit. Even the premium stuff that isn't particularly my tastes I see being enjoyed by plenty of people, and they do interesting different stuff compared to your standard YouTuber or streamer. The new stuff like Game Tapes & Crime Crew in particular are must watches for me.

Tastes and expectations change for both creators and audiences, and I think Giant Bomb has evolved in an intelligent way. Ensemble based entertainment is such a nightmare to get just right, especially in gaming, and the only thing I wish is people were more empathetic in how they criticized what they didn't like, and more focused on highlighting the things they love, because reading threads like this is a bummer.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I just got tired of their content. The dynamics aren't there anymore and the split really was the beginning of the end of the site for me. Vinny and Alex held the fort of my interest for a long time but it's just kinda over for me now. Sucks because I really used to love their content so much.

I think I'm always peaceful in threads about GB but I'll just say it openly for once, I really just don't like on camera personalities of the new hires and I don't like them putting their audience down for liking certain things. Certain members' disgust for technology (pc gaming, video cards, ect.) is extremely offputting. If that doesn't interest you, great, leave it be. Don't try to add constant quips that "You don't like thing and others are wrong for liking thing." I already get enough people IRL that I can't discuss anything tech related with, don't encourage that atmosphere on a freakin' gaming website. Jeff B. from eastcoast was a huge breath of fresh air in those regards.

Besides that, I agree, I think the fact that it's been their jobs for so long now really does influence their attitudes and enthusiasm. Yes, I am quite well aware of that old "Jeff is jaded" thing, I never saw it personally. It's not that they are down on games lately, it's that they act more uninterested in them. I know the feels, I'm barely into games either. That's how life goes, you just move on, and it can't help when it's your job to force interaction with the medium that should be a fun passtime.

edit: I should say that I do think some of this out of their control and gaming in general is so much more scattered than it used to be. I understand it's probably hard covering games that have dedicated audiences instead of everyone being focused on big event games like they used to.

It also doesn't help that there really isn't any more controversy in the industry these days besides political stuff. Remember them reviewing all the awful Kinect games? Those were like the golden nuggets in their video library. Anything Kinect was like crack to me because I love how they just blasted it for its awfulness and watching them flail around was hilarious. Almost all their best quicklooks are of awful games or gimmicks, like Velvet Sundown.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of wish Dan was still out west, he was an element that's kind of needed there right now and the east has enough of without him.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Burgle My Bananas is pretty amazing so far (like 10 minutes in).

Dan Ryckert is the voice of an entire generation.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Re: everybody hates ben & Abby.
I like em' both. it took me a long time to warm up to them, but it worked out in the end. Gotta Godhand, Ben's Lens, the Frights let's play, and her Nancy Drew let's play were fun to watch.
Re: GB west.
Game tapes, Jeff home games, Jeff Skates, Breaking Brad, and You gotta finish it, are also amazing shows.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I still watch their content but have fallen off from the podcasts. It's me though - I simply no longer have the long commute to work.
I will echo the opinion of some of the posters here. The chemistry of the original cast was amazing. After Ryan passed away, I still loved the chemistry between Vinny and Jeff. Later, I liked Patrick and Austin a lot and was sad when they were gone. The new additions are very off-putting to me. Dan and Ben feel like the opposite of Patrick and Austin. I have no firm opinion on Aby. Initially I did not like her, but I am starting to warm up on her. She seems to make a nice combo with Alex.

Edit: mistaken quote.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blitzblake

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
50 a year for 10 plus years of content is one hell of deal in my opinion.
You're 100% right. Giant bomb infinite is great to have on in the background! I have a bit of trouble going back to the past as I like the feeling of being in the present zeitgeist but I understand there's probably 90% of the content I've never seen.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
You're 100% right. Giant bomb infinite is great to have on in the background! I have a bit of trouble going back to the past as I like the feeling of being in the present zeitgeist but I understand there's probably 90% of the content I've never seen.

Same here, I'm even behind om todays features, I still need to catch up on Mass Alex, all systems Goku, I never watched Godhand and their new asuras wrath playthrough. And I never finished deadly prominition or started Persona 4 haha.

I regret a lot of purchases, and Monthly fees but never those 50 bucks a year for premium.

Nov 14, 2017
Giant Bomb is still good IMO. I think it's about the same quality as it's ever been, but obviously now very different. I used to watch occasionally back when it was new, but I wasn't really engaged fully. I just used to check up every now and then and see if any new Ryan Davies quick looks had been posted. He was like the Bruce Lee of video game bullshit. I only really started paying more attention when he died and I realised the whole story behind who they were. I'd previously been aware of the whole thing about Jeff leaving Gamespot, but I hadn't realised that was the site they setup afterwards.

I don't listen to the Bombcast as much anymore, but that's mainly because I don't have the time to listen to podcasts as much this past year. They still put out great content though; Full Metal Scanlon and All Systems Goku are amazing. I haven't had the time to start on Mass Alex, but I will at some point. Most likely next time I decide to play through Mass Effect again, which is basically what I did with FMS.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice way to put it. IMO getting someone outside of that is beneficial to GB as a whole. I don't align with Abby at all in terms of my tastes in games outside of a few Nintendo things, but I often find her perspective really refreshing and enjoyable compared to walking video game encyclopedia Dan Ryckert, despite sharing opinions on games with Dan a lot more often than Abby.

Also I think speculating on how much people "care" about their place of employment is a little low, and I generally think a lot of this is thrown at Abby simply because she's a woman and not afraid to disagree with most of the guys at Giant Bomb.
Don't get me wrong, I actually like that she was an outsider to the GB culture. It's a nice contrast to Ben who has been immersed in GB since day one.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Some good discussions in the last couple of pages(50ppp peasant). I always wondered what the effect on GG was to the community on GB and looks like it did a number on it as well. I never spent much time in there, just make a post or two but I would not stick around yet I always wondered about what that place was like. Mostly only got curious after the gaf implosion as I did with other gaming communities, just general musings really after seeing something as big as gaf go under so quickly.

Sad to see the duders never want to take the community aspect of the site more on board but after GG, I don't blame them. Feels like once that happened you either decided you wanted to be engaged or you did not and if you never started in the first place, you won't gonna start after GG thats for sure. Maybe it's for the best, let individual communities moderate themselves and save yourself the hassle. People will always know where they stand on topics and they make no effort to hide that fact.

For me, despite all the "issues" with current GB, I am not gonna leave completely because they are so in tune with the way I think and feel with the current climate and I just don't see anyone out there that even remotely comes close to that level of affinity with me personally in games media on most issues and also being entertaining at the same time. Nothing made that fact more clear then when a while back that Kinda Funny guy waffled over something and got his ass dragged into Era to have to explain himself. Can't see any of the duders ever letting themselves have that happen to them and if it did, the rest of the group would sort the problem out among themselves before it got any where.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch quite as much these days due to regular life stuff, but still listen to every podcast.

Still pretty much the only gaming site where I feel the staff are just genuinely being themselves and giving their honest opinions rather than the forced over the top personality stuff you see in so many other places.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I've honestly never found them entertaining and I'm pushing 30. They are just way too cynical to be called funny or interesting. Jeff in particular as he has gotten older makes you wonder if he even enjoys gaming anymore period. His savage summation of Nintendo's last E3 direct, while I largely agreed with it was in your face evidence that he is really fed up with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.