• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why people give GB shit for being cynical about dumb industry shit, yet watch stuff like Easy Allies. They're an unironic version of The Nerd Crew parody that Red Letter Media does.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to briefly talk about how this thread started with not one, but two false premises.

On appealing to gen z: this was a joke made by Dave Nilasca and Brad on UPF about spam emails they receive. Beyond that, they're not trying to cater to a specific audience as much as their average age has dropped significantly with Abby, Jan, Ben, and Dan, so of course their content feels different.

On pushing premium: They have huge drives to sell premium 2 or 3 times a year, and have done so every single year. The only difference now is they don't do Big Live Live Show Live anymore. Which I am ok with given that the logistics are wild.

To answer the question, I am 27 and was off and on around 2011-2013 where I became a full on subscriber and began watching/listening regularly. I think their content output is stronger than it has ever been, with West being a bit on a lull without Jeff. Abby, Ben, and Jan have quickly shot to the top of my list as favorites, but I pretty much love everyone equally - except for Business Dave - he's obviously number one. If you haven't watched Crime Crew yet, everyone should.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
I've been a premium member for a long long time now. I still love em, but I just with they'd stream newer games more often. I feel like the only newish game I see them play much is Apex and watching a competitive fps game is like watching paint dry to me. Sadly, I've been thinking about what happens if they ever close down, or wondering if any of them just feel too old to be doing what they're doing (I'm about to turn 40 myself). I think I would be totally done with gaming media for good, which feels weird to me. I already don't play as much as I used to.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
On pushing premium: They have huge drives to sell premium 2 or 3 times a year, and have done so every single year. The only difference now is they don't do Big Live Live Show Live anymore. Which I am ok with given that the logistics are wild.

Is that what the thread's premise for a greater push for premium was about? I thought of the premium sale as well but figured it must be something else because they've been doing these for as far as I can remember.

Oct 27, 2017
They just need to hire more people for the west. Jeff is the anchor and it shows when he's not there. He's the Allen iverson with a bunch of role players in the west. They need another star

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching GB since the P4 Endurance Run. I was subbed to them until last year when I realized I just wasn't watching their videos anymore. Even then I was only watching stuff out of the East office. Breaking Brad is probably one of my favorite things they did on the site, but they just stopped. Some of my other favorite features are Blue Bombin, VinnyVania, Mass Alex, and Beast in the East. Then the East office did that year run of X-Com and it just killed my interest.

There was a long period there were I was a premium member, but I wasn't actually watching anything on the site, so I stopped. It also made me realize that I didn't get anything from the GB crew for a premium sub that I wasn't getting from either a youtuber or twitch streamer. And 9 times out of 10 the streamer is going to be more knowledgeable about what they're playing than the GB crew.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm 27 and have been following GB since about 2008 or 2009, and I've been a subscriber for as long as they've offered it.

I think I still enjoy the site as much as I did back in those days. I've been visiting it, watching these videos, and listening to these people talk about videogames (and other stuff, like Jeff's bathroom) just about every day... for ten years.

Despite tragedy and big changes to the crew over the years, it still feels like Giant Bomb is doing its own thing and I will always be here for it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 31 and have been a premium subscriber for 8 years, I think. I had stocked up a few years worth of premium a while ago that's finally lapsing this December and I'm not sure if I'm going to reup. I like all the people there, but I just have no interest in watching most of the stuff they do now unless it's got that BDE (Business Dave Energy). Even for the free content, I don't generally care about the games they choose to Quick Look and I skip straight to the emails for the Bombcast and ignore the other podcasts. It's been that way for a while now.

But hey, they always say their numbers are doing better than ever, so whatever works for them.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
32 here and even if GB isn't 'hip' with a lot of ongoings in the industry, Brad and Jeff in particular (to a frustrating degree), I still enjoyed tuning in and even subbed for quite a long time. However after they split up into two studios I feel like their content output got progressively worse. Also Abby and Ben were particularly bad additions to the team as well. After unsubbing I still kept checking out their videos, if only to see what Dan was able to bring to the table (as at one point he was seemingly the only one coming up with new content) but even he could not keep me on board.

Haven't checked out GB for a good two years now I think. They're completely irrelevant.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people give GB shit for being cynical about dumb industry shit, yet watch stuff like Easy Allies. They're an unironic version of The Nerd Crew parody that Red Letter Media does.
Yes!

And:
Really like both podcasts, was a subscriber once but there was just not enough interesting stuff there to justify keeping it up.

And maybe someone here knows the answer:
Why are they not streaming more, I'm another one of those "working from home" dudes and it would be cool to see them just play games during the day. A twitch like stream where they are playing live stuff (prepping for quick looks etc)

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Been listening to shortly before the P4 Endurance run. The show is vastly different in tone and comedy than it used to be, so it's understandable if some have gotten jaded. GB East is still funny; but the office split gutted the West and there's such little chemistry there. Jeff being gone really highlights this, there is zero energy at all in the Bombcast without him.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Is that what the thread's premise for a greater push for premium was about? I thought of the premium sale as well but figured it must be something else because they've been doing these for as far as I can remember.
It's the only time they make a vocal push for premium, and they're currently doing one now, so that's my conclusion

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I still enjoy GB east but theres isnt a lot of stuff from the west that I like. jan does cool stuff, I dont enjoy bens content and brad often is just frustrating to watch. So theres just jan and jeff left on the west coast and they arent doing a lot of content.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Ryan has never been replaced

The coast split hurt the site a lot (but it was necessary to retain Vinny, so OK)

They're all good people, but none of the new hires (even Dan who I enjoyed at the start) are people who I want to commit hours and hours a week to "hang out" with. It's kind of a deal breaker when dealing with personality based content.

The content is way too samey and long.

Anime (and wrestling), kill me.

In the end, it's probably just me growing out of what GB does.

Last edited:

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I severely miss the dynamic of Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny, and sometimes Drew and Rory which I think was maintained fairly well after the tragedy that befell Ryan for some time. I liked Patrick, and Dan was one of the best things to ever happen to the site/podcast.

Without being too negative, as I understand I'm very much in the minority here, I do not care for any of the new personalities, nor the split to GBeast. The show went from being my favorite podcast every week, to being another video game podcast I occasionally listen to in the background, and skip large portions of. I used to enjoy listening to segments on games I didn't care about, but find myself skipping through Apex, Dota, etc. nowadays because the dynamic of conversation just isn't entertaining enough to carry me through a topic I otherwise don't care about.

But that's enough me being negative. I still enjoy the mail segments on both podcasts, and corrections on GBeast.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've fallen off GB content almost entirely. I don't enjoy listening to most of them talk about video games really is what it boils down to. Which is fine. Not everyone is for everyone. I skip through large chunks of the bombcast even. Was there from the start and it's hard to replicate the joy and humour of the Jeff/Vinny/Ryan interaction. First Ryan passed and then Vinny moved. Understandably it was different after that and I found myself falling off. Whether they are having a Mid Life Crisis - I couldn't say.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Ryan is missed of course but the worst loss I think was Drew, it was interesting to have a guy there who can talk about travel and interesting stuff outside of games
I'm a premium member mostly for the podcasts, I only rarely watch the videos if there's a QL for something i'm interested in

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still love GB and will follow them to the ends of the earth, but it definitely feels different now. The 2008-2012(ish) period was pure gold.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a student with no money and lots of spare time Giant Bomb was a god send - but now that I'm a full time worker with no time and spare money, I'd rather spend the time I have playing games rather than watching others play them.

I haven't watched GB West content in ages, frankly, I just find it boring and feel like they need an editor because there is SO much dead air. I'm fully up to date on GB East though.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Giant Bomb is in a pretty good spot all things considered. The east is putting out great content all around and I'm loving that Bakalar is getting into some more stuff beyond just the Beastcast.

I feel like most of this thread and the concerns come from Gerstmann being out for now. I like the west quite a bit, but Jeff seems to be the glue that holds a lot of segments together. They could probably stand one more person out there, although Business Dave is a welcome UPF guest. If he ever figures out his power point sounds he should be a regular for sure.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I'm 30, and have been following the original crew since their Gamespot days, but have recently stopped watching/listening to their content entirely. The podcast was the last to go, and this is mostly due to the centrality of Ben on GB West—the show feels like it revolves around his humor and his interests now, which just don't appeal to me.

May 11, 2018
I'm 40. Been with GB since pretty much the start. I've been premium since 2010 I think, but I haven't listened to either podcast in probably 1.5 years (except goty), and I haven't watched a video in months.

I'm not sure why I've fallen off. I love the crew I just don't really enjoy the content anymore.

Maybe I'm having the midlife crisis.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I feel like west has been better since Jeff has been on leave. I love Jeff but it seems they're putting out more new shows and the guests on the bombast have been great. Business Dave being a regular on UPF is also amazing.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was a huge fan for many years, but I bounced off it around the time they did the Giant Bomb East split. Nothing to do with the content really -- I just no longer had the time or energy to engage with so much video game stuff.

I assumed I'd get back into it after a break, but I just never really did.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off GB a few years ago and despite trying, could never get back into it. But I still think the site is doing fine right now, its crazy that it's been going for 10 years (and seems to be doing alright).

OP
OP
blitzblake

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I just want to briefly talk about how this thread started with not one, but two false premises.

On appealing to gen z: this was a joke made by Dave Nilasca and Brad on UPF about spam emails they receive. Beyond that, they're not trying to cater to a specific audience as much as their average age has dropped significantly with Abby, Jan, Ben, and Dan, so of course their content feels different.

I had just started noticed they released a few premium videos for free on YouTube and at the end of each feature they were like "and if you like what you see, subscribe to premium!" (I feel like this was before the sale?) edit:talking out my ass, the premium unlock vids happen with each sale nvm me.
I understand that the gen z stuff was said jokingly, but as with most jokes I feel there might be a element of truth to that.

Last edited:

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Yeah I've dropped off too. Bin listening 7 or 8 years. Was premium for like 4 years but the last year or so all the fighting game stuff and anime has really turned me off. Plus the steam indie trash. Came to realize I only like Jeff. Loved his home streams but they stopped a year ago. I'm 43 and feel that they, like me, have fallen out of love with videogames as real adult life has taken over. Shame really

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love Giant Bomb, and I doubt I'll ever stop watching them. I prefer East over West because it's true that they have a lot more energy. They even have Mahardy who comes on every once in a while, who is also a good energy man.

The issue for West, like a lot here have said already, is that most of the crew is composed of straight (in the comedy sense) men, some with less energy than others, and that Jeff doesn't have anyone to bounce off of. In the past, Jeff had Ryan; then he had Dan. Now he doesn't have anyone.

West needs someone who's high-energy, who has a good blend of same-tastes and different-tastes, who's not afraid to put their conflicting opinion out there, and who could bring something new to the site.

Basically, West needs a black woman.

I 100% agree with everyone saying East has better energy. If even one person from West is "on assignment" the energy balance gets so messed up it feels like a writers strike episode.
This is a good way to put it lol.

I hate how West got rid of their comfy and casual couch setup and replaced it with a dumb, overdesigned sports show desk.
Yes. This needs to be talked about more. Bring back the couch!

Giant Bomb has always had ups and downs throughout the years. It's sort of like SNL where you remember all the classic sketches and forget about the not so good ones. We remember the fortune street TNT but forgot about all the boring ones

edit: I will say this, currently the site is missing someone who can riff with Jeff out west like Vinny, Dan, and Ryan could
This is true

yeah, I gotta say, Bakalar and Mahardy are pretty killer. east didn't need the extra firepower but it got it
Also true. East has so much energy.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to rag on anybody, but Ben being in basically every single West video just kills their content for me. Again, nothing against him but I personally find him a bit annoying.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really miss Jeff. The West's podcasts just are a chore without him.

I understand and respect maternity leave and all, but damn wish he was back.

I think it really highlights the weakness of the team without him. Ben just plays off Jeff and without him he is completely lost.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watch way more of their content now than I did years ago (because there's more of it). I'm sad every day that we'll probably never get another Dave Snyder and Vinny video, though.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
48, been listening since the inception of the site (remember Ryan's "How to build a better bomb" webseries?). I primarily listen for the weekly podcasts, but I only tune in live during conference coverage. There was a time when they were part of Whiskey that I would watch the crazy Friday live block parties, I miss those. And for quick look coverage, I feel either it's too long or lacks any substantive information to help me understand whether I want to play the game myself. GI was much better in this respect, I hope they continue give the recent layoffs.

The East Coast crew is fantastic, and Jan was a great pickup, but really the only other person I really like on the West is Brad. Even this year's E3 couch interviews were starting to lose me. They remind me of that line in Dazed and Confused - "I get older, they stay the same age." I feel like they are missing an opportunity to mature and offer more intelligent conversation around games, as Brad frequently does. Remember that cool Uncharted triology PS3/PS4 comparison Brad did with Naughty Dog? West Coast needs more insightful content like that, instead of "wrestling, wrestling, every other word f**k".

If I'm driving in my car, I'll listen to the Bombcast, but not religiously. If I miss a week, so be it - I just skip it. But if I'm looking for insightful video content on YouTube, it's DF, GI, MLiG and some of the other independent content creators to whom I subscribe.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having more fun with the west coast now then I have for awhile. East coast is as good as always

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
West isn't worth listening to without Jeff. He's basically the only reason I listen to it. I feel like everyone else is devoid of personality and/or passion. I basically skip every other one now.
East is the shit though. It's overall one of my favorite podcasts right now. I never miss it.

Maybe west needs younger people? I dunno.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I'll be honest and say I have completely dropped off of all their content except for their E3 coverage. Kind of come full circle. Started by only watching their E3 coverage, was Premium for a few years, and now I'm back to only watching their E3 coverage.

I just don't have the time for 2:30+ hour long podcasts (especially two a week). I still follow them all on Twitter though for their news takes.
This is my issue. I have stuck with their E3 coverage, but I just don't have the time at work or home to listen to those long podcasts.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
I'll say it, replace Ben and Jason and the West will lighten up a BUNCH. There's no denying. They don't have to be Dan, just someone with passion or energy, and with different sets of taste in games. "Anime y'all" aint funny. I'm 29, been listening since 2013 right after Ryan passed. For the first time since that time, I've stopped watching UPF and listening to the Bombcast because that shit drags, man. Brad needs to get pushed out of that pool of disinterest he seems to be in.

And yeah, whose idea was it to throw out the casual, relaxed vibe with the couch? Jason's? That didn't help too much.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You can really tell how much the internet has hypercharged people to the point where "Yeah, this trailer looks neat. I wonder how that'll actually translate into a real game tho" is seen as "low energy jaded and "toxic"", probably because of the all the youtube videos of people literally screaming and yelling because of a CGI trailer for a game that was leaked weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.